Unpopular opinions about the parks?

Tom Morrow

Characters are the least interesting part of the theme park experience. Character saturation borders on tacky. I also find character meet & greets awkward as hell and I don't understand how anyone that isn't a small child enjoys them. Edit: or adults observing their child's interaction, of course.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Characters are the least interesting part of the theme park experience. Character saturation borders on tacky. I also find character meet & greets awkward as hell and I don't understand how anyone that isn't a small child enjoys them.
They’re probably for small children and the parents/families who enjoy watching the interactions. I don’t think the characters are aimed at adults, although some do like them.

Smiley/OCD

So apparently those are the only two options?

Leave the park stagnant for 25 more years or these terrible, inept, disconnected series of pathetic changes?

How about Door #3: Update the park AND make it incredible, thematically cohesive, and amazing?

(Edited to protect the sensitive)
Thematically cohesive and Disney are 3 words that unfortunately (with the powers that be and were for 20+ years) will never be in the same sentence.

Smiley/OCD

Characters are the least interesting part of the theme park experience. Character saturation borders on tacky. I also find character meet & greets awkward as hell and I don't understand how anyone that isn't a small child enjoys them.
I wouldn’t say tacky per se, but I understand your point…I would much rather prefer the “old days” with the characters roaming around the park as opposed to the formal meet and greets.
It kinda IS for the parents to see the elation on their kids faces when they meet them.
Unfortunately, parents can’t keep their hands off one another…I can just imagine the confrontations that would occur if a parent felt their kid was slighted as they were walking around…armed handlers? Lol…

Mireille

Premium Member
While I fully recognize that the character meet & greets are designed for children, I, as an adult, usually solo, traveler, enjoy them as well. (See: my profile picture.) Maybe especially as a solo traveler, having pictures from meet & greets are inexpensive souvenirs since I always get the memory maker. I know these are probably college kids for the most part in the costumes but I'm able to willingly suspend my disbelief and enjoy the interaction. As ridiculous as it may be, I can get a little choked up meeting Mickey. It's fun!

Andrew25

Country Bear Jamboree is not great. Should be replaced.
The WDW Railroad is not very scenic.
All 360 theaters at Epcot should offer rotating shows - one educational, one fun (increase capacity, family offerings, etc.)
SeaWorld's Ignite Firework Show is the 2nd best nighttime show in Orlando after Happily Ever After
An Epcot Front Gate isn't a bad idea

Poseidon Quest

I didn't really "get" characters until I went to Disneyland where they roam around and have spontaneous improv with people and other characters. Seeing Aladdin trying to sell stuff from one of the fruit carts or the Mad Hatter and Alice getting onto the teacups and interacting with people as the ride cycles is a lot more interesting than standing two hours in line for an awkward interaction and photo. The non-face characters are a lot more animated in DLR as well, as I've heard from a Cast Member friend that they're given a lot more agency than WDW. I've definitely come to appreciate that Universal (both in Orlando and Hollywood) have a lot of spontaneous roaming characters as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom