Unpopular Disney World Opinions

JustAFan

1. I like Tomorrowland Speedway because my kids (and many others) enjoy it.
2. Living with the Land is boring.
3. Dole Whips are overrated.
4. I'm fine with IP rides in the parks.

Sir_Cliff

Well, that's not only unpopular, it's also not true. Disneyland Paris has a very bad maintenance track record. Every ride has critical effects that are not working, period.
Maybe my recent trips to DLP have just been during particularly good periods (last one in October), but I found maintenance was not perfect but ok. I found exactly what you describe at DLP at MK, however. Splash is the worst offender, multiple dolls not working in IASW, Peter Pan in pretty embarrassing shape, etc.

The only ride that stood out as having issues last time I was at DLP was Pirates. Once I went on IASW and a row of dolls and the fountains outside weren't working. Next day, though, the dolls and the fountains were working fine.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here’s one that’s fresh on my mind...having just returned.

The Harry potter lands...from concept, to build to attractions to merch to food integration...

Are FAR superior than any Individual lands in a Disney park. Not that close.

Including avatar - which I really like - and Star Wars...which is laden with misunderstanding and corporate baggage.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can't complain that Magic Kingdom is stagnant and want a 5th park. If they start building a new one then the other parks will stagnate even further. Better to have four amazing parks that five not so great. Also finding employees for the 5th park would be a challenge.
If Wide World of Sports is demolished, where would you instead hold all the cheer competitions that bring in a lot of $?
Of course they CAN wish for a new park and hate magic kingdom...

But of course it’s more likely to get a unicorn petting zoo before a 5th park.

And wide world does suck...I get it...but it did and always does suck. It feeds a particularly UGLY American industry too. It actually helped to create it.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Here’s one that’s fresh on my mind...having just returned.

The Harry potter lands...from concept, to build to attractions to merch to food integration...

Are FAR superior than any Individual lands in a Disney park. Not that close.

Including avatar - which I really like - and Star Wars...which is laden with misunderstanding and corporate baggage.
I think, accounting for the Single IP Themed Lands I've visited (Pandora, Cars Land, Galaxy's Edge East and West, Toy Story Land, Hogsmeade, and Diagon Alley . . . even Toy Story Playland at DSP, if you'd count it), the one that comes closest to Harry Potter in Disney's collection is Cars Land. It's the one that most literally, completely, and satisfyingly transports you to a specific place and time that is exciting, engaging, and makes you want to come back. Which is very impressive given that Cars is the franchise on that list with the least love in the public imagination. They stepped up and did it right in almost every regard - though I do wish that outside of RSR there were attractions that were more involved than the "flat rides" that flank it. And I'm still waiting for the planned Sci-Fi-style Drive-In Restaurant that would just be perfect for that land. Still, I think that's the land where Disney came closest to clearing the bar Harry Potter set. Even if I happen to prefer the environs and/or individual elements of the other Single IP Disney Lands.

Though I will say that I think as a land Hogsmeade PALES in comparison to Diagon Alley - Forbidden Journey is the best attraction in the Harry Potter suite, but Diagon blows Hogsmeade away as a themed environment. It's a little annoying that Diagon is such a rich and fully realized land while the area with Hogwarts Castle feels like it got the short end of the stick in comparison. The land feels like Cliff Notes compared to Diagon Alley. I understand why, but it makes it feel like the priorities are out of balance. And I think the world has made WAY too big a deal out of Hagrids. But I think I've drifted off topic!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think, accounting for the Single IP Themed Lands I've visited (Pandora, Cars Land, Galaxy's Edge East and West, Toy Story Land, Hogsmeade, and Diagon Alley . . . even Toy Story Playland at DSP, if you'd count it), the one that comes closest to Harry Potter in Disney's collection is Cars Land. It's the one that most literally, completely, and satisfyingly transports you to a specific place and time that is exciting, engaging, and makes you want to come back. Which is very impressive given that Cars is the franchise on that list with the least love in the public imagination. They stepped up and did it right in almost every regard - though I do wish that outside of RSR there were attractions that were more involved than the "flat rides" that flank it. And I'm still waiting for the planned Sci-Fi-style Drive-In Restaurant that would just be perfect for that land. Still, I think that's the land where Disney came closest to clearing the bar Harry Potter set.

Though I will say that I think as a land Hogsmeade PALES in comparison to Diagon Alley - Forbidden Journey is the best attraction in the Harry Potter suite, but Diagon blows Hogsmeade away as a themed environment. It's a little annoying that Diagon is such a rich and fully realized land while the area with Hogwarts Castle feels like it got the short end of the stick in comparison. The land feels like Cliff Notes compared to Diagon Alley. I understand why, but it makes it feel like the priorities are out of balance. And I think the world has made WAY too big a deal out of Hagrids. But I think I've drifted off topic!
That is a good point/example...Carsland.

I do like how far they went to do it. But both potter lands feel better to me as far as the ability to really integrate, put your cares aside...and have fun.

Diagon alley is superior...as hogsmead is more of a retrofit/rush job.

Hagrids is just a fantastic ride - however. It’s a ride that is so much more greater than the sum of its parts.

It’s hard to quantify other than this: hundreds of kids - and adults - in robes with Wands really taking it all in. Food and merch is an integral part of that too...Disney’s game is not close to that instance.

Diagon alley does do it slightly better - my opinion.

Figments Friend

Churros at Disney Theme Parks are terribly overrated, in my opinion.
Not understanding the hype, really.

Maybe i just had a 'bad batch', but they were dry and did not taste sweet at all.
It felt like trying to chew sawdust, to be honest.
After all the 'fan hype' about these being such a must-do snack in the Parks, i was not impressed at all.

Chuck E. Cheese's has better churros then Disney, for crying out loud...and there is something really wrong with that!
The best i ever had was from a local Mexican restaurant....so, so GOOD...!

-

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Maybe i just had a 'bad batch', but they were dry and did not taste sweet at all.
After all the 'fan hype' about these being such a must-do snack in the Parks, i was not impressed at all.

Chuck E. Cheese's has better churros then Disney, for crying out loud...and there is something really wrong with that!

-

Costco also has better churros than Disney.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member

-
Churromania, at some malls, have great made to order churros. Way better than Disney's, imo.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

That is a good point/example...Carsland.

I do like how far they went to do it. But both potter lands feel better to me as far as the ability to really integrate, put your cares aside...and have fun.

Diagon alley is superior...as hogsmead is more of a retrofit/rush job.

Hagrids is just a fantastic ride - however. It’s a ride that is so much more greater than the sum of its parts.

It’s hard to quantify other than this: hundreds of kids - and adults a in robes with Wands really taking it all in. Food and merch is an integral part of that too...Disney’s game is not close to that instance.

Diagon alley does do it slightly better - my opinion.

I am surprised by the way Disney doesn't seem to have stepped up in terms of food. Merch could be better, though they've gone a little more "out there" with Pandora and Galaxy's Edge than I would have expected. Enough that I find myself spending time in the shops looking at all the unique things, but I generally still walk out without having purchased anything.

Cars Land did it best on both these fronts - Not only is the quality of the food generally good all around, but they managed to make some fun and clever options too. Chili-cone-Carne? Not a stroke of genius, but it's funny enough and bridges the Cars world with our own. They seem to have let themselves be a little playful with the options there which is probably more than I can say for Pandora and GE, though tonally that would be a harder fit with those two properties. And of course Cars was never going to be short on merch options since that's where the franchise seems to excel best anyways.

UNCgolf

I am surprised by the way Disney doesn't seem to have stepped up in terms of food. Merch could be better, though they've gone a little more "out there" with Pandora and Galaxy's Edge than I would have expected. Enough that I find myself spending time in the shops looking at all the unique things, but I generally still walk out without having purchased anything.

They're basically the only two places left in Disney World that actually have unique merchandise. A couple of other rides have some different stuff in their exit gift shops (Pirates does; I think Everest may have a bit as well), but overall Disney merchandise has become homogenized across the parks. With that said, though, some of the Pandora and Star Wars stuff is available at other shops, and I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see most if not all of it available at least across Animal Kingdom/Hollywood Studios, respectively.

MinnieWaffles

I'm ok with there being rides/lands/whatever aimed at kids, not me.
The more people complain about a ride the more I like it.
Some of these aren't unpopular opinions at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom