Unnecessary harsh treatment of children in public spaces at WDW

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
In all fairness, nobody needs an owner's manual to know they shouldn't yell at or smack their kids.
A raised voice is necessary sometimes. What if your young one is running towards the street? Yelling may be the only thing keeping them from getting hurt or worse.

jloucks

Because we are all better parents before we have children.
CpDrop.gif

Daaang, that was good.

eliza61nyc

So the only choices are:

1) yell at and smack your kids or

2) magically bubble wrap your snowflakes so they can't function?

You're better than that.

Of course not but that's sorta my point, neither is wholly wrong nor right. Yelling at a kid IS not going to damage their little psyche and yes some times it's entirely appropriate.

That's the problem with parenting along the sidelines, you make these blanket statements like a one size fits all shirt AND sorry imo they especially lose all credence when the person making them has Zippo experience with disciplining a real life kid.
Oh and again spouts all this "knowledge" after seeing 20 secs of a situation.

jloucks

parents are not perfect. They mess up. They screw up. They get tired.

Also, it is easy to judge without knowing the full context of the situation. And each situation is different.

And I’m sure a small minority of parents are just kinda bad at it.
My life experience, which is about 50 years worth, tells me that about 50% of folks really should have passed some sort of test before having kids.

Similarly, only about 20% are really good at it. The other 30% are pretty good at it.

Interestingly, when you look at a case like the one OP posted, you have parents that are investing time and money to bring their kids to WDW. That in and of itself says something. Bad parents don't typically do that.

So, we have a weird dichotomy here with parents that are most likely pretty good parents, being bad parents.

Which, to go full circle, supports what you are saying. I agree, theses parents are probably good, but just flat out spent and having a lapse moment.

jloucks

Lol, the part you are missing is that, that is the 10th time son has made that claim and 9 times prior Dad has stopped, taken the shoe off, showed his son and the last time dad has taken the sock off, individually checked each toe, put on new sock and probably carried son on his shoulders most of the time.🤣😂

So he is reasonable certain there is no rock in his shoes.
This, this right here, is a great example of parents -vs- non-parents. The 10th rock in shoe phenomenon is something only known through experience.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Interestingly, when you look at a case like the one OP posted, you have parents that are investing time and money to bring their kids to WDW. That in and of itself says something. Bad parents don't typically do that.

I disagree with this actually. I've known what I consider to be bad parents who have taken their kids to WDW, the difference is that they're not doing it for the kids, they're doing it for themselves. It's evident in everything that they do while they're there.

If they could have found someone to watch them, they wouldn't have been there at all.

jloucks

A raised voice is necessary sometimes. What if your young one is running towards the street? Yelling may be the only thing keeping them from getting hurt or worse.
This is why, I think, you should save yelling and profanity for very special situations where the kids life is in danger. Kids need to learn degrees of infraction. Eating a booger is not the same thing as standing too close to the train tracks.

jloucks

I disagree with this actually. I've known what I consider to be bad parents who have taken their kids to WDW, the difference is that they're not doing it for the kids, they're doing it for themselves. It's evident in everything that they do while they're there.

If they could have found someone to watch them, they wouldn't have been there at all.
Well, yea. there are always exceptions.

I think parents dragging kids to Vegas and leaving them in a hotel is a better example of this behavior. But, I see what you are saying, the mentality of the parents could be the same, even with WDW.

Trackmaster

Well, yea. there are always exceptions.

I think parents dragging kids to Vegas and leaving them in a hotel is a better example of this behavior. But, I see what you are saying, the mentality of the parents could be the same, even with WDW.

To be honest that sounds about as bad as bringing a kid who is too young for Disney. I think that if you're a local and can handle it with a day trip it may be fine, but if a kid's too young, the hustle and bustle of a trip like that can be tough. Wait until they're old enough to enjoy it.

NickMaio

I think we are talking discipline vs safely here.
Yelling at a child to discipline them is VERY different than yelling to keep them safe.

StarWarsGirl

Okay, I'm throwing my hat in the ring here, as a non-parent. Yes, non-parent.

Unless it's clearly abbussive behavior, no one has the right to judge how a parent is or is not disciplining their child.

I have a younger brother (6.5 years) on the autism spectrum, and if you think your kids can throw tantrums, boy, you haven't seen anything until you've seen a twelve year old throwing a melt down that a three year old would have. Or a six year old charging away from his parents because he saw an elevator in a restricted area and decided he had to head for it. Yes, my parents often got angry with my brother. When I was responsible for him growing up, oh boy, could I lose my temper with him when he would charge away and I'd be running after him. We would often get strange looks in public, like, "Can't you make him behave?" It was adding insult to injury. Here you were, dealing with a child who wasn't behaving, and strangers were making it worse. If my parents were disciplining my brother, I often stood away from them to look like I wasn't with them. And then if I was responsible, then I was getting those looks, and it was my humiliation.

I decided a long time ago that I was not going to be that person who would stand there and judge parents for how they were disciplining their children, or if they put their child on a leash because they were a runner (believe me, I get it. More than once, my brother just walked clear out of the hotel room. That was fun). Instead, I smile at the parents, laugh a little, shrug it off, like, whelp, what can ya do? Let them know they're doing a good job. After all, I know I wasn't a perfect sister with my brother, I just did my best, so I can imagine it's the same with parents.

Maelstrom Troll

To be honest that sounds about as bad as bringing a kid who is too young for Disney. I think that if you're a local and can handle it with a day trip it may be fine, but if a kid's too young, the hustle and bustle of a trip like that can be tough. Wait until they're old enough to enjoy it.

I have to disagree. We made multiple trips when our daughter was 1,2, & 3 and they were totally relaxing. Probably our most memorable trips ever tbh.
We changed our day plans to make the trip work including having a plan, parent swaps, naps, and tons of snacks. Point is, it’s very possible and we didnt inconvenience anyone along the way.

NickMaio

I have to disagree. We made multiple trips when our daughter was 1,2, & 3 and they were totally relaxing. Probably our most memorable trips ever tbh.
We changed our day plans to make the trip work including having a plan, parent swaps, naps, and tons of snacks. Point is, it’s very possible and we didnt inconvenience anyone along the way.
Agree 100% - - - - - this whole wait until they can remember BS makes zero sense to me.
Making memories happens at any age.

graphite1326

So this is what I saw. A young boy about 10 throwing a temper tantrum because he want to go on ToT alone, without his parents. We were all standing on our mark waiting to enter the elevator. He was screaming at the top of his lungs then reached over and grabbed his mother by the and kept yelling. The parents did nothing at all. Now IMO that is bad parenting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom