Unnecessary harsh treatment of children in public spaces at WDW

dsmith51

Original Poster
More often than not, when visiting the parks I see a parent (or both parents) scolding their young children (including spanking, shaking, yelling, or some other unruly behaviour) while the kid is screaming at the top of his or her lungs. This type of behaviour is totally unnecessary at the happiest place on earth (DL or WDW). Granted, children CAN be a handful at times on vacation, and yes, sometimes they may deserve scolding, but I don't think the parent should be doing this in public spaces in the parks where everyone walking by can witness it. If at all, I plead with parents NOT to hit their children, but wait until they can get to a secluded area or back in the hotel and then calmly tell their children what they did wrong.

Most kids don't understand what they did wrong, so it's up to the parent to tell them, and remind them that it's not satisfactory to do whatever they did. Most times I think it's a combination of the hot weather, walking long distances, and hunger that makes a kid become unruly. We usually don't interfere because a) it's not our kid who is misbehaving and b) we don't want to be told to mind our own business by the kid's parent. Many of us don't like confrontation, but some of us can't stand the sight of someone berating their kid. The kid is only naturally curious, is a growing human being and of course he or she is going to make mistakes. I just think there is no place for this kind of thing while everyone is watching.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
images (4).jpeg

NYwdwfan

More often than not, when visiting the parks I see a parent (or both parents) scolding their young children (including spanking, shaking, yelling, or some other unruly behaviour) while the kid is screaming at the top of his or her lungs. This type of behaviour is totally unnecessary at the happiest place on earth (DL or WDW). Granted, children CAN be a handful at times on vacation, and yes, sometimes they may deserve scolding, but I don't think the parent should be doing this in public spaces in the parks where everyone walking by can witness it. If at all, I plead with parents NOT to hit their children, but wait until they can get to a secluded area or back in the hotel and then calmly tell their children what they did wrong.

Most kids don't understand what they did wrong, so it's up to the parent to tell them, and remind them that it's not satisfactory to do whatever they did. Most times I think it's a combination of the hot weather, walking long distances, and hunger that makes a kid become unruly. We usually don't interfere because a) it's not our kid who is misbehaving and b) we don't want to be told to mind our own business by the kid's parent. Many of us don't like confrontation, but some of us can't stand the sight of someone berating their kid. The kid is only naturally curious, is a growing human being and of course he or she is going to make mistakes. I just think there is no place for this kind of thing while everyone is watching.
I gotta ask - just a simple “yes” or “no” question: do you have kids?

dsmith51

Original Poster
I gotta ask - just a simple “yes” or “no” question: do you have kids?

"Um, no", he said in a quiet, mousy voice.

Having said that, if I had a kid I would certainly teach him the difference between right and wrong and what is acceptable behaviour in public. My mom always taught us that we could not throw temper tantrums in public, nor did she ever hit us where other people could see. As a matter of fact, she never really physically harmed us in any way that would allow other people to get involved. We just knew from "that look" she gave us that we were doing something wrong.

If someone could help me understand why they do this, maybe my perception will change. I'm only asking for constructive feedback, I'm not looking to incite any kind of verbal hate debate please.

fryoj

Every child and situation is different. Some you have to spank. Some you can look at harshly and they will straighten up. Some are pushing their limits to see what they can get away with. If you teach them that the worst thing that will ever happen will be a talking to and a finger wag, they will find worse and worse things to do. My step daughter and my niece are both 12. My step daughter was raised knowing that if she did something wrong, she could get spanked. We haven't had to spank her since she was 6, and is, for the most part, a good kid. She knows her actions have consequences. My niece was never spanked and was punished with talking to's and quiet times. She's a brat who is going to get punched in the face some day cause she has a terrible attitude.

YMMV

eliza61nyc

Oh yeah just what I would welcome, some know it all stranger offering their opinion on how they could do a better job at raising my children after observing them for 20 secs.
🙄

Unless I have some reason to suspect abuse or imminent danger, I'm treading lightly and giving the mom benefit of the doubt

Ricky Spanish

Having said that, if I had a kid I would certainly teach him the difference between right and wrong and what is acceptable behaviour in public. My mom always taught us that we could not throw temper tantrums in public, nor did she ever hit us where other people could see. As a matter of fact, she never really physically harmed us in any way that would allow other people to get involved. We just knew from "that look" she gave us that we were doing something wrong.

If someone could help me understand why they do this, maybe my perception will change. I'm only asking for constructive feedback, I'm not looking to incite any kind of verbal hate debate please.
1583194096112.gif

eliza61nyc

Simply because every parent does things differently. My parents were firm believers in wherever you "act up" is where you got disciplined and sorry, yes many times I knew exactly why I was in trouble.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom