Universals New Nighttime Show

Tom Morrow

I want to go see this, but I want to see the completed product. Has it been showing every night? And if so, has it been mostly in it's complete form?

TTA94

Original Poster
It has been,playing every night with everything but the lasers. They were installing the laser units the other day, so they should be online soon.

Do you know what type of lasers they are installing and how big of a part they will have in the show? Similar to World of Colors lasers?

Tom Morrow

I saw it tonight. It’s the best night time show Universal has done. It uses the most amount of effects yet, with fountains, water screens, fog, pyro, lasers, projectors, and projection mapping. I think they made the right choice by making this a specific viewing area show. However.... I personally still found it to be pretty average. Typical theme park guests will be entertained, theme park veterans are not going to be wowed. It's yet another "movie clip show" and I really don't care for any of these.. The castle projection shows, the DHS Star Wars night time shows, Universal's previous shows, Fantasmic (to a degree), etc. I find these to be lazy and uninspired and much prefer shows that have an overarching original theme, story, and musical score like IllumiNations , Fantasmic (again, to a degree), and Rivers of Light (which I admit I like better as a concept than the execution.)

Two biggest issues I see are pacing and IP choices. World of Color is a similar show, but it has pacing and flow that elicits an emotional response. All the best night time shows have similar pacing and flow. Here, most of the segments go on for a bit too long and it seems like everything is firing on all cylinders the entire time, making it easy to get bored with each segment quickly. Then, each segment ends with no tie in or relevance to the next one, adding to the feel of this just being a mashed together clip show. Some of the IP choices and their allotted time are odd, for instance, there's a heavily reliance on Dreamworks and co. Oddly, almost no appearances by Universal's own greatest hits like the movie monsters, Back to the Future, etc. I think some of the segments could be edited down for a snappier pace, giving room for a finale that includes a montage of Universal's most famous IP's.

That said, I had a couple of "alright, that was pretty cool" moments. I hope they work on the pacing. A benefit to this format is that the semgents can easily be edited or swapped out, I assume.

Last edited:

jrhwdw

I saw it tonight. It’s the best night time show Universal has done. It uses the most amount of effects yet, with fountains, water screens, fog, pyro, lasers, projectors, and projection mapping. I think they made the right choice by making this a specific viewing area show. However.... I personally still found it to be pretty average. Typical theme park guests will be entertained, theme park veterans are not going to be wowed. It's yet another "movie clip show" and I really don't care for any of these.. The castle projection shows, the DHS Star Wars night time shows, Universal's previous shows, Fantasmic (to a degree), etc. I find these to be lazy and uninspired and much prefer shows that have an overarching original theme, story, and musical score like IllumiNations , Fantasmic (again, to a degree), and Rivers of Light (which I admit I like better as a concept than the execution.)

Two biggest issues I see are pacing and IP choices. World of Color is a similar show, but it has pacing and flow that elicits an emotional response. All the best night time shows have similar pacing and flow. Here, most of the segments go on for a bit too long and it seems like everything is firing on all cylinders the entire time, making it easy to get bored with each segment quickly. Then, each segment ends with no tie in or relevance to the next one, adding to the feel of this just being a mashed together clip show. Some of the IP choices and their allotted time are odd, for instance, there's a heavily reliance on Dreamworks and co. Oddly, almost no appearances by Universal's own greatest hits like the movie monsters, Back to the Future, etc. I think some of the segments could be edited down for a snappier pace, giving room for a finale that includes a montage of Universal's most famous IP's.

That said, I had a couple of "alright, that was pretty cool" moments. I hope they work on the pacing. A benefit to this format is that the semgents can easily be edited or swapped out, I assume.
So lasers were in the show last night?

JohnD

So lasers were in the show last night?

What is it everyone’s fascination with “lasers”?

52982953.jpg

Disneyhead'71

I agree on the pacing issues. I do think it is an "Orlando theme park quality" show, but could definitely be tightened up a bit.

As of now the over arching theme is vague. It is supposed to be a goodnight kiss from UOR. And I agree the finale needs more. But instead of strip mining Universal's back catalog, it should have shots of costumed Team Members from all 3 parks, Penelope Toothsome and Jacques, and face characters all smiling and waving at the camera. And the announcer, as soon as the show is over, saying "Thank you for spending your day at Universal Orlando Resort." And then have Team Members doing the traditional "Goodnight Kiss" at the exit.

jrhwdw

What is it everyone’s fascination with “lasers”?

52982953.jpg
Well, it's supposed to have lasers. They weren't installed yet on the 4th from what I've read. Since this show is having it's grand opening on Monday, it would be nice if they were ready.

Tom Morrow

How did they look? Maybe USF will use the lasers more by Monday.
They looked fine. I think they were a little under-utilized, as well as the projection mapping on the buildings. The rest of the elements spent a bit too much time being used all at once, which led to a feeling of overkill and a lack of emphasized moments.

matt9112

saw this last saturday (i believe before lasers) and it was pretty good.

first the viewing section is superb even if its standing room only it blends nicely into the existing central park area.
the show itself is pretty fun but there are some obvious flat moments as well as some highs. a few of the sections did not feel very strong or emotional to me. (panda comes to mind) but others were fun in different ways....the minions part was pretty clever but honestly the trolls section was my fav. the dance party feel made the best use of the show tech IMHO. the crowd was dancing it was lots of fun but the more serious pirtions didn't fit as well IMHO.

just two cents.

Disneyhead'71

I would go as far as to say that Ignite! at SeaWorld is a better show than this, even without projections. It, like Disney's shows, has a flow to it and the visuals are arranged to not all on full blast all the time.

Not trying to crap all over Universal's new show. I think it could be great with some tightening up.
Not saying you don't have a point. The show absolutely needs some tightening up. But overall you seem to be a little burned out on Universal now. It happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom