Universal vs. Disney

I hear JAWS is gone
I highly doubt Nintendo will be a kiddie area but even if it was, I bet it would still be a huge draw in the same way Fantasyland is.
I didn't say it wouldn't be a draw? I just think those who are expecting a Harry Potter type experience could be left dissapointed. I would also doubt that Universal put in the same amount of attractions into this Nintendo area as Disney have in Fantasyland!

Something that hasn't been mentioned (shockingly) is Fireworks! Epcot every day of the week for me!

Mike S

I didn't say it wouldn't be a draw? I just think those who are expecting a Harry Potter type experience could be left dissapointed. I would also doubt that Universal put in the same amount of attractions into this Nintendo area as Disney have in Fantasyland!

Something that hasn't been mentioned (shockingly) is Fireworks! Epcot every day of the week for me!
I didn't say it would have the same amount of attractions as Disneyland's Fantasyland. I was using it as an example of what can be done even if you have limited space.

Evolution

In terms of theming Disney surely is uncategorically better then Universal? I really don't see a comparison between any of the Disney parks and the Studios. Yes Harry Potter looks great but the rest of the park simply isnt the same standard? Disney also have that 'magic' which makes it stand out. Be it twinkling lights in the ground at Epcot or Disney characters remembering a child's name at the end of the day when they see them again this is where Disney truly comes into it's own.

I've seen a lot of people saying this so this isn't really aimed at you, you're just the most recent one I saw.

What's so magical or immersive about Tomorrowland? I never once feel like I'm in the future or in space unless I'm on Space Mountain. Same with Frontierland. Even Fantasyland feels very... unfocused. Adventureland and Main Street, USA are probably the only parts of the park where I feel really immersed into the theme. Epcot of course has all of the countries which are amazing, even if most are lacking in attractions. Future World wasn't that futuristic. When it comes to the Studio parks, USF beats DHS because of Diagon Alley alone. Both parks do a good job of making me feel like I'm in Hollywood in their respective sections. Tower of Terror (everything about it) is 10/10. DAK just feels like a larger and less tropical Jurassic Park imo, and it has some of my favorite rides in all of WDW.

Universal has Jurassic Park, Hogsmeade, Lost Continent, Seuss Landing, Port of Entry, Springfield and Diagon Alley. Each park has their immersive lands and their not-so-immersive lands. I think some people are discounting Universal because of a couple generic lands (namely at USF because it basically was just that when it opened).

Evolution

Lol you realize Fantasyland has been around for what, 44 years? Universal is just getting started (well not yet) with the Nintendoland.

I've seen a lot of people saying this so this isn't really aimed at you, you're just the most recent one I saw.

What's so magical or immersive about Tomorrowland? I never once feel like I'm in the future or in space unless I'm on Space Mountain. Same with Frontierland. Even Fantasyland feels very... unfocused. Adventureland and Main Street, USA are probably the only parts of the park where I feel really immersed into the theme. Epcot of course has all of the countries which are amazing, even if most are lacking in attractions. Future World wasn't that futuristic. When it comes to the Studio parks, USF beats DHS because of Diagon Alley alone. Both parks do a good job of making me feel like I'm in Hollywood in their respective sections. Tower of Terror (everything about it) is 10/10. DAK just feels like a larger and less tropical Jurassic Park imo, and it has some of my favorite rides in all of WDW.

Universal has Jurassic Park, Hogsmeade, Lost Continent, Seuss Landing, Port of Entry, Springfield and Diagon Alley. Each park has their immersive lands and their not-so-immersive lands. I think some people are discounting Universal because of a couple generic lands (namely at USF because it basically was just that when it opened).

I agree with Tomorrowland not feeling like the future, but I do feel it's otherworldly for want of a better word. It's just very Disneyish I think. The people mover, Ray's Starlight Cafe and the Astro Orbiter are almost landmarks in my mind. I think Disney are much better at not letting us see the nuts and bolts of the park. The buildings are all in keeping and they make use of better greenery, soft touches with lights and even music I would argue.
I agree with Adventureland, but I think Frontierland is quite well done. Maybe I'm alone in that view.
Again Future World isn't futuristic in the slightest, but it's still EPCOT if that makes sense. It's like an alternate present day. The fountain and the ball are truly excellent. I haven't been to DHS in 2/3 years will be this summer so I won't comment as I havent seen Diagon Alley. But I always considered them being more or less on a par anyway.

I don't know if DAK is that similar to Jurassic Park. I understand your point/view I just feel DAK is more like African and Asian countries. The fact that you're comparing a segment of a park with an entire Disney park kinda says a lot I think on the theming issue.

Lol you realize Fantasyland has been around for what, 44 years? Universal is just getting started (well not yet) with the Nintendoland.
It doesn't matter? The fact that it's 44 years old is a massive strength of Disney? People use Universal's modern aspect as a pro. Equally Disney's age is a strength. It's a two way street!

Evolution

I agree with Tomorrowland not feeling like the future, but I do feel it's otherworldly for want of a better word. It's just very Disneyish I think. The people mover, Ray's Starlight Cafe and the Astro Orbiter are almost landmarks in my mind. I think Disney are much better at not letting us see the nuts and bolts of the park. The buildings are all in keeping and they make use of better greenery, soft touches with lights and even music I would argue.
I agree with Adventureland, but I think Frontierland is quite well done. Maybe I'm alone in that view.
Again Future World isn't futuristic in the slightest, but it's still EPCOT if that makes sense. It's like an alternate present day. The fountain and the ball are truly excellent. I haven't been to DHS in 2/3 years will be this summer so I won't comment as I havent seen Diagon Alley. But I always considered them being more or less on a par anyway.

I don't know if DAK is that similar to Jurassic Park. I understand your point/view I just feel DAK is more like African and Asian countries. The fact that you're comparing a segment of a park with an entire Disney park kinda says a lot I think on the theming issue.

Forgot about Astor Orbiter, that definitely gives off a futuristic vibe imo. With Frontierland I felt like I was in the wild west on both Splash and Big Thunder but the land itself is just very basic to me. Top notch rides though. I do agree that Disney does better at hiding stuff but I think that's because they have so much land to work with.

I just made the Jurassic Park/DAK comparison because they both deal with animals and it's the only part of Universal that could be even compared to DAK. Looking back at my last trip, DAK does do a great job at theming the Africa and Asian countries. I did kinda feel like I was in an African village when walking around and not to mention the Safari which was great as well. Asia I don't remember as much but being on Kali River Rapids and seeing Everest in the background does feel magical, admittedly. Dinoland, however... yeah.

Evolution

It doesn't matter? The fact that it's 44 years old is a massive strength of Disney? People use Universal's modern aspect as a pro. Equally Disney's age is a strength. It's a two way street!

Just saying that it's unfair to compare a land that's had time to grow and expand to a land that's just starting off. Ride vs ride, sure, but the entire lands? Fantasyland would win on just their number of attractions alone.

JT3000

Forgot about Astor Orbiter, that definitely gives off a futuristic vibe imo. With Frontierland I felt like I was in the wild west on both Splash and Big Thunder...

Splash Mountain is the deep south, not the wild west. :p That's why MK is the only park that put it in Frontierland.

Californian Elitist

Let's be honest here, Springfield and Hogsmeade suck. It's all about new parades, fireworks and Neil Patrick Harris.

Hogsmeade isn't open yet, but that doesn't matter. USH not only opened Minion Mayhem, but a whole Despicable Me land, Supercharged, the nighttime Studio Tour, Shrek upgrades, and smaller entertainment offerings. That statement of more happening at the DLR within a year is ludicrous.

JT3000

F&F- which by most accounts pretty much sucks. And outside of that..... Simpsons/Desp. Me? They've had a single unique attraction added- and it's on a tram with lackluster reviews. So lackluster that the Orlando die-hards are adamant about how it "will not be the same- we promise- it'll actually be good".

And thats supposed to stand next to the DCA revamp and complete refurb/revamp of DLR? I mean, I know we're on the Universal subthread- but the biased runs deep if you think that.

UOR > WDW since Comcast by a mile. But DLR > UHS by a mile as well.

Could you go into the specifics of this complete revamp of DLR that's occurred in the past year? Because I was completely unaware of this, having been there just over a month ago. What, specifically, has opened there in the past year (or is at least under construction) that rivals the changes occurring at USH? I'm genuinely interested, because I can't believe I somehow missed it all.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

F&F- which by most accounts pretty much sucks. And outside of that..... Simpsons/Desp. Me? They've had a single unique attraction added- and it's on a tram with lackluster reviews. So lackluster that the Orlando die-hards are adamant about how it "will not be the same- we promise- it'll actually be good".

And thats supposed to stand next to the DCA revamp and complete refurb/revamp of DLR? I mean, I know we're on the Universal subthread- but the biased runs deep if you think that.

UOR > WDW since Comcast by a mile. But DLR > UHS by a mile as well.
The DCA revamp was completed well over a year ago. In fact, it opened 3 years ago.That's where your argument completely collapses when comparing what the two resorts have done in the past year.

Tony Perkis

Could you go into the specifics of this complete revamp of DLR that's occurred in the past year? Because I was completely unaware of this, having been there just over a month ago. What, specifically, has opened there in the past year (or is at least under construction) that rivals the changes occurring at USH? I'm genuinely interested, because I can't believe I somehow missed it all.
In all fairness, if you got in line for Radiator Springs Racers in 2012, you probably just are now are at the front of the line. I can see where the confusion arises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom