Universal vs. Disney

Rutt

The reason you keep having to "point out" this stereotyping based on age and gender is because it's a theory that holds no water.
No? I bet it holds more water than you think. Hell, just take a look at the usual suspects on here. Anyway, my piece was said. Circles are getting boring.

Both awesome. Disney awesome for more people. Have a good one.

Last edited:

mahnamahna101

That's all very fair. I hate to keep pointing I out though, but it really does seem to be a certain age group and gender that feels this way about Disney. Its a demographic that Universal almost exclusively appeals to IMHO.
To be fair, Universal has/is trying to expand their reach beyond males between the ages of 8 and 30.

Despicable Me (you wouldn't believe how many teen girls/women LOVE the Minions....)
Hello Kitty (semi-answer to Disney Princesses)
Nintendo (most female/kid appeal of any video game company)
Jimmy Fallon (women seem to like him a lot, for some reason)

If they manage to get My Little Pony and Monster High featured somewhere in Universal Orlando, and had an expanded presence for Dora the Explorer, I'd say they'd be pretty set with the female demo.

Little kids (under the age of 5) and older adults (over the age of 50) are the only groups that truly get overlooked at Universal Orlando. More women than you think like 'male-skewing' IPs like Spider-Man and Transformers.

Mike S

To be fair, Universal has/is trying to expand their reach beyond males between the ages of 8 and 30.

Despicable Me (you wouldn't believe how many teen girls/women LOVE the Minions....)
Hello Kitty (semi-answer to Disney Princesses)
Nintendo (most female/kid appeal of any video game company)
Jimmy Fallon (women seem to like him a lot, for some reason)

If they manage to get My Little Pony and Monster High featured somewhere in Universal Orlando, and had an expanded presence for Dora the Explorer, I'd say they'd be pretty set with the female demo.

Little kids (under the age of 5) and older adults (over the age of 50) are the only groups that truly get overlooked at Universal Orlando. More women than you think like 'male-skewing' IPs like Spider-Man and Transformers.
Please for the love of god no My Little Pony. We don't need the kind of "fans" that would attract to the resort.

mahnamahna101

Please for the love of god no My Little Pony. We don't need the kind of "fans" that would attract to the resort.
Universal could make a rule that anyone over the age of 7 is forbidden from wearing a costume into the parks, except for Halloween.

That would take care of the 'creepy' aspect of the Bronies.

Disneyhead'71

Disney is winning!

6a015431fc4e55970c017ee5e35b15970d-pi

JT3000

Nintendo while know by females it really isn't a big deal to any women.

There are countless female gamers who would absolutely rage at you for saying this. They loathe the stereotype that gamers are a male-dominated demographic (because they really aren't.) Not to mention that Nintendo in particular has been leaning more towards casual gamers for the past decade or so, so it's not like they even need to be hardcore in order to enjoy it.

EDIT: In fact... http://www.dailydot.com/geek/adult-women-largest-gaming-demographic/

Last edited:

mahnamahna101

There are countless female gamers who would absolutely rage at you for saying this. They loathe the stereotype that gamers are a male-dominated demographic (because they really aren't.) Not to mention that Nintendo in particular has been leaning more towards casual gamers for the past decade or so, so it's not like they even need to be hardcore in order to enjoy it.

EDIT: In fact... http://www.dailydot.com/geek/adult-women-largest-gaming-demographic/
Plus, Nintendo has an easy-going/cute aspect that appeals to non-gamers... specifically older adults and little kids who aren't the best at gaming yet.

Animal Crossing
Tomodachi Life
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Mario Kart
Mario Party
Super Mario
Kirby
Pokemon
Donkey Kong Country

Women seem to like all of those, from my experience... Metroid, Star Fox, Zelda and Fire Emblem are the only major Nintendo franchise that skew stereotypically toward your typical male gamer. And even then, they still get about 50/50.

Mike S

Plus, Nintendo has an easy-going/cute aspect that appeals to non-gamers... specifically older adults and little kids who aren't the best at gaming yet.

Animal Crossing
Tomodachi Life
Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Mario Kart
Mario Party
Super Mario
Kirby
Pokemon
Donkey Kong Country

Women seem to like all of those, from my experience... Metroid, Star Fox, Zelda and Fire Emblem are the only major Nintendo franchise that skew stereotypically toward your typical male gamer. And even then, they still get about 50/50.
And even then the lead protagonist of Metroid is a woman. One of the very first in gaming.

Last edited:

Mike S

That's been true for decades now. Many characters in fighting games and everything else are women. Tomb Raider comes to mind.
My only points were that even though Metroid probably skews more male the protagonist, Samus, is a female and that she was one of the first in gaming. Nothing else. I know there have been more since.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Part of that, a big part is old people playing WII sports. Sun City and places like that have leagues you know??? So does our public library. Don't know if that is the same with Xbox but many old people who really can't play the real games are playing on game consoles.

I'm going to check up on that link, still doesn't sound right to me.

Part of that, a big part is old people playing WII sports. Sun City and places like that have leagues you know??? So does our public library. Don't know if that is the same with Xbox but many old people who really can't play the real games are playing on game consoles.

I'm going to check up on that link, still doesn't sound right to me.
The numbers are correct BUT they include apps games like Candy Crush, Kim Kardashian etc.

lebeau

I was watching Cake Wars with my daughter last night and the theme was Nintendo. Specifically Mario. I have never been a Nintendo fan. I'm lousy at Mario-type games. Couldn't tell you who most of the characters are. But when I saw the cakes it occurred to me how much potential this world has for theme park use. At the end of the show, a big Mario came out to celebrate. He looked like he was ready for meet and greets. And I realized just how iconic the character is. To a lot of people, Mario is at least as beloved as Mickey Mouse.

I asked my wife and kids if they would be interested in Nintendo rides. The first thing they all said was "Mario Kart". I replied that was a part of what was rumored to be coming and they were all interested. And we're not even gamers.

Why does it need as many attractions as Fantasyland? The original quote that set off this entire exchange between you only said it could be a similar draw, it said nothing about attraction count. MK's Fantasyland doesn't even have that many rides! And most of Disneyland's are old school carnival-style rides, which, while kind of charming, are far from impressive. I don't know about you, but give me several modern, relatively major attractions and I'm happy.

BTW, while it's doubtful that much more of it gets used, there's enough free space left in that vicinity, combined with Kidzone, to build several Fantasylands. If you don't believe me, look at Google maps.

Because if somebody wants to say a supposed Nintendo Land could rival Fantasyland then I would think the attraction count is relevant?

JT3000

Because if somebody wants to say a supposed Nintendo Land could rival Fantasyland then I would think the attraction count is relevant?

It isn't important. Quality over quantity. I mean this isn't a theoretical addition to a half day park. There's already plenty to do.

Would it be nice if an expansion extended the park's offerings as much as possible? Yes. Would I gladly take two "e-tickets" over half a dozen or more "c-tickets?" You betcha.

Besides, the comment was about its DRAW, not how much there is to do.

Last edited:

captainmoch

You haven't played Mario Kart over the internet have you??? There is nothing easy about the racers. Especially on Friday and Saturday night. Mario Kart is full on serious racing game when you play anyone anywhere. The computer racers are nothing compared to the live ones.
...and? The only people who play online are the people really hardcore about it, that doesn't stop that it's a huge family game that appeals to practically anyone.

Disneyhead'71

I think my major problem in comparing the 2 resorts is that, while being a life long Disney fan, I simply don't like the product they are producing these days. I would rather have a root canal than wait in line for a M&G. And I loathe the Princess Revolution.

I am sure that WDW is great for toddlers and those traveling with toddlers. But for those of us not toddler oriented, WDW's recent additions (last decade or so) hold little interest. WDW is running away from intellectual depth and artistic integrity as fast as they can.

BrerJon

I am sure that WDW is great for toddlers and those traveling with toddlers. But for those of us not toddler oriented, WDW's recent additions (last decade or so) hold little interest. WDW is running away from intellectual depth and artistic integrity as fast as they can.

But anyone with toddlers will tell you Disney is supposed to be for the kids and you're being selfish wanting things that they wouldn't enjoy. After all, they pay $100 a day to go whereas you get in for for free.

Oh no, wait, it's the other way round.

Mickey_777

The one thing I just don't see Uni ever being able to match (with the exemption of Potter and maybe Jurassic Park) is how beloved Disney's stories and characters are. Call it pixie dust, magic, nostalgia or what have you. Disney punches you in the stomach with emotion and feelings that you can't replicate by simply building "the biggest and baddest". Uni is probably going to need a generation or two to develop the warm and fuzzies from kids who grew up to have their own families. That's one obvious area where Uni as of right now cannot compete.

I like the biggest and baddest. I regularly frequent "Roller Coaster" parks and I've been to Uni on both coasts in the last couple years. But in my opinion, there's nothing at those parks like a Big Thunder, Tiki Room, or Space Ship Earth. Uni obviously has the tech to replicate and surpass the attractions I just mentioned. But they'll never get you to feel like you do when you ride the Disney versions. Disney's still got it when it comes to new attractions as we can see from what they've done around the world in their parks as of late. I'm hoping all the new stuff were speculating about lives up to or gets very close to what we're expecting for WDW and even DL.

I pay money to go to Uni and other parks so don't get me wrong. They've made huge strides and they're going in the right direction. Especially when they begin building attractions without so many screens. I agree with most folks who have said that competition is good for both sides. It means more fun for everybody.

Last edited:

Mike S

The one thing I just don't see Uni ever being able to match (with the exemption of Potter and maybe Jurassic Park) is how beloved Disney's stories and characters. Call it pixie dust, magic, nostalgia or what have you. Disney punches you in the stomach with emotion and feelings that you can't replicate by simply building "the biggest and baddest". Uni is probably going to need a generation or two to develop the warm and fuzzies from kids who grew up to have their own families. That's one obvious area where Uni as of right now cannot compete.

I like the biggest and baddest. I regularly frequent "Roller Coaster" parks and I've been to Uni on both coasts in the last couple years. But in my opinion, there's nothing at those parks like a Big Thunder, Tiki Room, or Space Ship Earth. Uni obviously has the tech to replicate and surpass the attractions I just mentioned. But they'll never get you to feel like you do when you ride the Disney versions. Disney's still got it when it comes to new attractions as we can see from what they've done around the world in their parks as of late. I'm hoping all the new stuff were speculating about lives up to or gets very close to what we're expecting for WDW and even DL.

I pay money to go to Uni and other parks so don't get me wrong. They've made huge strides and they're going in the right direction. Especially when they begin building attractions without so many screens. I agree with most folks who have said that competition is good for both sides. It means for fun for everybody.
And Nintendo when it's built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom