Universal vs. Disney

culturenthrills

Agreed, but I think what makes Universal even less beloved by people on these forums is that they are really the only tourist attraction in Orlando to truly give Disney a run for it's money. I think some hardcore Disney fans are threatened by Universal in a sense. You never hear people bash Sea World or Busch Gardens to the extent they bash Universal. Universal's two parks are clearly superior to those, and so you'd expect that it would be the other way around. They are really the first non-Disney parks to be in the same league as Disney's parks, and they do a better job than Disney in many respects. I think that's the true reason behind why many fans here bash it so much.

Have you been to SeaWorld because they do give Disney a run for their money. Their park is really clean, beautifully landscaped, the shows are top notch and their counter service restaurants blow anything Disney has out of the water in quality and price. Busch Gardens is a great park too.

culturenthrills

The thing is that Universal is not the same caliber of theme park as Disney. In terms of theming detail, Disney does it best. If you're looking for an escape from the real world , go to Disney World! If you're looking for the most straight out thrills, head on over to Universal!

I am sorry but if you compare the theming of USF and DHS well DHS is not in the same league(except for Tower of Terror) The different street sections of USF are way more themed than DHS.

agent86

I love Universal, I am a supporter of them. However, I am realistic about what it is.

No actually you're not. I think that, like a lot of posters on here who would love nothing more than to see Universal out of the picture, you're just trying to paint a picture of Universal as nothing more than a "thrill park" or "like Six Flags". Anyone here who has actually been to Universal knows that's a ridiculous comparison. I think you're maybe just a little more covert about it than a lot of people, by prefacing your remarks with things like, "I love Universal" and "I am a supporter of Universal". I think you're trying to pass yourself off as a Universal fan in the hopes that people will say, "See? Even Universal fans admit that it's not in the same league as Disney?" Nice try, though. :rolleyes: I kind of wonder if you have ever even actually been to Universal. Your assessment of it certainly doesn't sound like it.

tomman710

No actually you're not. I think that, like a lot of posters on here who would love nothing more than to see Universal out of the picture, you're just trying to paint a picture of Universal as nothing more than a "thrill park" or "like Six Flags". Anyone here who has actually been to Universal knows that's a ridiculous comparison. I think you're maybe just a little more covert about it than a lot of people, by prefacing your remarks with things like, "I love Universal" and "I am a supporter of Universal". I think you're trying to pass yourself off as a Universal fan in the hopes that people will say, "See? Even Universal fans admit that it's not in the same league as Disney?" Nice try, though. :rolleyes: I kind of wonder if you have ever even actually been to Universal. Your assessment of it certainly doesn't sound like it.

I'm an annual passholder, but I could see where you could get your assumptions from based on what I said. It sounds like a clever idea. No harm, no foul.

I do love Universal and I am supporter BUT I do think they are a notch above Six Flags ... just my opinion, I am not trying to convert anyone.

Missing20K

What exactly about the thread title ("Universal vs Disney") made you surprised when you opened the thread and discovered it was about...(gasp)...Universal vs Disney? :hammer: And for what reason would you want this thread moved to the Chit Chat section? Is that because that section doesn't typically get as much exposure and therefore, fewer people will get an opportunity to read about the merits of Universal? :animwink:

Well, first of all it is in the news/rumors section. So regardless of thread title I would expect news or rumors in the thread. There have been lots of obscure and ambiguous thread titles in the time I have frequented this forum. Seems to me it could have easily been a rumor or news at Universal (Harry Potter, etc.) and a Disney rumor or news in response to Universal's rumors or news, or vice versa. I suggested the thread be moved to Discussion, or yes, gasp!, chit chat, because that is what this thread contains. Just because people don't frequent those sections as much as the news/rumors section doesn't mean all topics of discussion should be posted in news and rumors does it? And finally, this is a Disney forum. Why would anyone come to a Disney forum, not to mention the news and rumors section, to read about the merits of their competitor?

Hence, a "discussion" about the merits of Disney versus Universal seems to be to be better placed in the "discussion" section.

Off the pulpit. Please mods, do not take this as a dig at your mod abilities and decisions, as they are always top notch. I truly appreciate the time and effort you all put forth to let us moan and complain and celebrate all things Disney. :D

Off the pulpit. Please mods, do not take this as a dig at your mod abilities and decisions, as they are always top notch. I truly appreciate the time and effort you all put forth to let us moan and complain and celebrate all things Disney. :D

*hands you a tissue to wipe off brown spot on your nose* :lol:

teebin

In early Septemter of 1999 I came to Orlando for the first time. I went to IOA and I went to the MK and Epcot. I was pleasantly surprised by the MK and disgusted by the dated Epcot. In December of 1999, I came back with the soul purpose of visiting IOA. I spent one week going back to IOA every day just to absorb it's great design and depth. Oh, and I also went to SW for one day. But not back to Disney. I went to the MK in 2004 when I moved here and thought I had lost my mind, as I remembered a charming side street off the left side of Main St. It was gone and part of some mega emporium. I had yet to discover AK. IOA has slipped a few notches due to bad upkeep of concrete walkways and repainting of faux rocks, but it is still a tour de force of modern design and execution.

And for the few of you that thinks Disney doesn't care. WDI buys tickets to attend all new USO attractions to figure out how they did it for the money or what new tricks they are playing. They do it all the time, and I have been told this by WDI high mucks.

agent86

I'm an annual passholder, but I could see where you could get your assumptions from based on what I said. It sounds like a clever idea. No harm, no foul.

I do love Universal and I am supporter BUT I do think they are a notch above Six Flags ... just my opinion, I am not trying to convert anyone.

Okay, well FWIW, I said "covert" not "convert". There is a difference. And what I meant by that was I think maybe you're just being a little more sneaky (that's what the word "covert" essentially means, btw) about how you're portraying Universal to be. Most of the people on here, if they don't care for Universal, will state that up front, and will usually say things like "It can all be done in under a day" (which is absurd). The approach that you appear to be taking, on the other hand, is to present yourself as someone who is a big fan of Universal and by stating things that no one could verify whether it's even true (such as your claim that you have an annual pass). Once you've established that, then you proceed to make statements comparing Universal to Six Flags and saying it's not even in Disney's league (once again...absurd). I think what's obvious that you're trying to do is have people read your posts and think, "Wow, this guy has an annual pass and he's a big fan...and even HE doesn't think it compares to Disney." The problem, though, is your approach is too extreme. The fact that you've put it in the same category as Six Flags, or even Busch Gardens or Sea World, kind of indicates that either you've never actually been to Universal, or you're embellishing the difference between Universal and Disney to a ridiculous level. Even people on here who say they don't like Universal would not generally put it in the same category as Six Flags. It was very much over the top, and in using that example, I think you pretty much blew your shot at giving your posts any credibility. :hammer:

tomman710

Wow ... you have some ideas definitely, more on the extreme side of conspiracy theorist than ideas based in reality but you go ahead and believe what you want.

As I said I am not trying to CONVERT anyone (which means change people's viewpoint, btw) ... I was just stating my opinions which I thought this is what we do on message boards.

Montyboy

Masticating at my kitchen table

Maybe he’s covertly playing his cornet at a concert to benefit converts?

Some words look the same, but they are actually different.

Montyboy

Most of the people on here, if they don't care for Universal, will state that up front, and will usually say things like "It can all be done in under a day" (which is absurd). The approach that you appear to be taking, on the other hand, is to present yourself as someone who is a big fan of Universal and by stating things that no one could verify whether it's even true (such as your claim that you have an annual pass). Once you've established that, then you proceed to make statements comparing Universal to Six Flags and saying it's not even in Disney's league (once again...absurd). I think what's obvious that you're trying to do is have people read your posts and think, "Wow, this guy has an annual pass and he's a big fan...and even HE doesn't think it compares to Disney." The problem, though, is your approach is too extreme. The fact that you've put it in the same category as Six Flags, or even Busch Gardens or Sea World, kind of indicates that either you've never actually been to Universal, or you're embellishing the difference between Universal and Disney to a ridiculous level. Even people on here who say they don't like Universal would not generally put it in the same category as Six Flags. It was very much over the top, and in using that example, I think you pretty much blew your shot at giving your posts any credibility.

Vizzini86: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Tomman710 in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini86: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?

Missing20K

*hands you a tissue to wipe off brown spot on your nose* :lol:

:lol::lol: No kidding!!! Geez!!! :ROFLOL:

Wow, I had no idea supporting the people who make this site run would get such a harsh response. Apparently expressing your thanks to Steve and his helpers is brown nosing and is not to be tolerated, and anyone who does so is up for ridicule. Well if that's the case, then I suppose I'm guilty as charged.

THANKS STEVE AND ALL THE MODS WHO MAKE THIS SITE FUN, INFORMATIVE, AND UP-TO-DATE!!!!

Grow up guys.

agent86

Wow ... you have some ideas definitely, more on the extreme side of conspiracy theorist than ideas based in reality but you go ahead and believe what you want.

Well technically it can't be a "conspiracy" if it's only one person involved, so that kind of deflates that argument, doesn't it? :hammer: I've noticed that seems to be the latest "trendy" comeback in a debate...If someone doesn't have a more intelligent response, or an explanation for their own position, they just accuse the other person of having some "crazy conspiracy theory", in an effort to distract from the point of discussion.

I was just stating my opinions which I thought this is what we do on message boards.

Stating opinions is among the many things that occur on discussion boards, yes. But another thing we do on discussion boards is to have....(gasp) a discussion (dramatic music here) about those opinions. Of course, you did more than simply state an opinion. Saying you don't care for Universal would be stating an opinion. Saying that you love Universal, but that you just love Disney 100 times more would be stating an opinion. But stating that Universal "isn't in the same league as Disney" is not exactly something that is simply a matter of opinion. It is a misrepresentation of what the park is actually like. And doing so in the context of trying to pass yourself off as an annual passholder and fan of Universal is definitely not just an expression of an opinion. You clearly have an agenda here, but oh wait...that's right, I'm just some crazy guy with a conspiracy theory. :hammer:

agent86

Wow, I had no idea supporting the people who make this site run would get such a harsh response. Apparently expressing your thanks to Steve and his helpers is brown nosing and is not to be tolerated, and anyone who does so is up for ridicule. Well if that's the case, then I suppose I'm guilty as charged.

THANKS STEVE AND ALL THE MODS WHO MAKE THIS SITE FUN, INFORMATIVE, AND UP-TO-DATE!!!!

Grow up guys.

:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss: At this point I think the least you could do is buy the MODs dinner, don't you think? :lol:

Montyboy

Losing your edge

Well technically it can't be a "conspiracy" if it's only one person involved, so that kind of deflates that argument, doesn't it? I've noticed that seems to be the latest "trendy" comeback in a debate...If someone doesn't have a more intelligent response, or an explanation for their own position, they just accuse the other person of having some "crazy conspiracy theory", in an effort to distract from the point of discussion...
...that's right, I'm just some crazy guy with a conspiracy theory.

This reply was weak, and frankly not your best effort, but I think I know the problem. When you make your foil hat, stop using the economy brand. It's not working. Either double the thickness, or switch to heavy duty.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Is Bhoy Blunder still bumping his gums?

AttentionWhore.jpg

Captain Chaos

Stating opinions is among the many things that occur on discussion boards, yes. But another thing we do on discussion boards is to have....(gasp) a discussion (dramatic music here) about those opinions. Of course, you did more than simply state an opinion. Saying you don't care for Universal would be stating an opinion. Saying that you love Universal, but that you just love Disney 100 times more would be stating an opinion. But stating that Universal "isn't in the same league as Disney" is not exactly something that is simply a matter of opinion. It is a misrepresentation of what the park is actually like. And doing so in the context of trying to pass yourself off as an annual passholder and fan of Universal is definitely not just an expression of an opinion. You clearly have an agenda here, but oh wait...that's right, I'm just some crazy guy with a conspiracy theory. :hammer:

I am going to have to disagree with you here... Everything he has said was his opinion..

I can say the New York Yankees will be the best team in baseball in 2009... I am stating an opinion... I can say Disney is better than Universal.. I am also stating my opinion...

he said Universal isn't in the same league as Disney.. This is his opinion.... IF he states why he feels that way, then he is just backing up his opinion.. And why is this an opinion? because people can disagree with him... You cannot disagree with facts...

You think Universal is in the same class as Disney.. again, your opinion... However, I think you are trying to make it a fact.. it's not...

This thread has kind of run its course, hasn't it? How many more posts of DISNEY RULES, UNIVERSIAL STINKS, NO WAY UNIVERSAL ROCKS do we really need to know that we are all going to disagree anyway LOL...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom