Universal vs. Disney

RSoxNo1

Universal Studios could not exist without Disney World. The car companies that are complaining about Disney's Magical Express would not exist if it wasn't for Disney World.

My guess is that Harry Potter will increase attendance in the Orlando area, it might even extend trips by a day, or make a 7 day trip switch from 5/2 to 4/3 between Disney and Universal. However, the likely scenario is that it boosts Universal's attendance but does not do so by hurting Disney.

Gambit

And how is Uni not stale? I'm curious. They add a decent ride in Revenge of the Mummy two years ago, an average level addition in the Simpsons ride(easily surpassed by TSM), and that's it in a while.

In my opinion the Simpsons is much better then TSM. Also, the Simpsons won the award for "Best New Attraction in 2008." :animwink:

raven

1 ideal I had was make an attraction based on the movie Atlantis:The Lost Empire and then follow it up with Atlantis:Milo's Return and have Milo as your travel guild and basically have is follow Milos adventure with the Lavitan and have it set as a ride like underwater..As far as Universal they should make rides based on newly soon to be released movies

The trouble is that it takes years of planning before an attraction is even announced. By the time something is built the movie is several years old. They also don't know how well a movie is going to be liked by their audience so jumping into an attraction like that could actually do more damage if it isn't a popular movie.

That's mainly because they're treated like ____!t by the Disney management.

Actually Disney management treats them like gold. As I said before, they are saved some of the best guest-interaction jobs that other employees don't even have a chance at. And they get company parties and other special things that local CMs never get.

Universal Studios could not exist without Disney World.

You've spoken the absolute truth! If Disney hadn't been here then Universal wouldn't even be in Orlando. The entire reason they are here is to capitolize on Disney's success and guest flow.

In my opinion the Simpsons is much better then TSM. Also, the Simpsons won the award for "Best New Attraction in 2008." :animwink:

You can't compare the two fairly. TSM is a entirely new dark ride attraction with inneractive elements. Simpsons is a refurbed simulator (the old Back to the Future) with a new facod out front. Who voted Simpsons Best New Attraction for 2008 and where is that published? Not saying it wasn't but I'd just like to read it.

WDWmazprty

homer.gif

Do I believe WDW needs to start building some exciting new attractions? Most definitely, but saying that them not building a major attraction in the past 2 years(yes that's all its been, and personally I think TSM is a great new addition) is making them lose a significant amount of customers is honestly ridiculous. After all Harry Potter is the first major addition to IOA in how long? Oh, that's right, the ENTIRE life of the park.

And how is Uni not stale? I'm curious. They add a decent ride in Revenge of the Mummy two years ago, an average level addition in the Simpsons ride(easily surpassed by TSM), and that's it in a while. On top of that these attractions replaced two of their most loved, classic attractions. Whereas IOA hasn't gotten anything since its opening. If anything Universal could be classified as stale far more than WDW.

And btw, before I get flamed as a Uni hater, I own a season pass to Uni, and I enjoy going there a lot.

Universal doesn't have the land or funds to do as much as Disney could. I'm sure if Universal had more land to develop and more people attending their parks, they'd do more to keep the parks up and running and add more exciting new rides and attractions. When Disney adds something new, it's below the standard of quality that Disney is known for, but since it's "Disney" people will just accept the fact that is 'high quality.' TSM is an overhyped Wii game on a track, I would hardly classify that as a ride. Simpsons is more of a ride with a storyline, even though it's just another simulator attraction.

Oh, and for the record, IOA has added Flying Unicorn and Storm Force Excellatron, and reworked an attraction that was supposted to open up with Seuss Landing by giving it a new ride system and calling it High in the Sky Seuss Sky Trolley. There were supposted to be a few more attractions in the original IOA, but didn't happen due to budget cuts and lack of space. There was also something going around that Universal was supposted to have a helicoptor attraction with Soarin' technology at Jurassic Park, and AK was supposted to have Dueling Dragons in their Beastly Kingdom, so it all evens out IMO.

Another thing to point out is to watch what they do with HHN. Universal actually listens to their feedback, and asks for suggestions and ideas through several polls. Because of this, they're able to see what they can improve on for next year's HHN, and last year was by far simply amazing. They brought back great themed scarezones, still have a lot of haunted houses to offer, and several shows on top of it. HHN has turned from a seasonal event to a new temporary theme park at night during for the most of October. Do you ever see Disney put so much time and effort into wowing it's fans like this? I highly doubt it, and if they really are, then they seriously need to step up their game and really listen to what it's fans have to say about their stale parks at WDW.

Actually Disney management treats them like gold. As I said before, they are saved some of the best guest-interaction jobs that other employees don't even have a chance at. And they get company parties and other special things that local CMs never get.

Trust me, as an ex-CP, we got treated like crap. We were the ones who weren't offered the opportunities that the main CM got. We were on the very minimum wage that Florida allows. Worked far more hours (60 hour weeks), and the worst hours.

The ''parties'' that are offered, mainly are open to all. Unless you're talking about the ones which are at the housing. In which case, these are paid for by the very high rent which comes out of the CPs pay cheque every week.

They are cheap labour. Nothing more, nothing less.

RSoxNo1

and AK was supposted to have Dueling Dragons in their Beastly Kingdom, so it all evens out IMO.

Just to clarify, the Dragon Towers ride set for Beastly Kingdom was meant to be themed much better than Dueling Dragons, and my understanding was that it was going to be a single morphing coaster, not dual coaster tracks.

Just to clarify, the Dragon Towers ride set for Beastly Kingdom was meant to be themed much better than Dueling Dragons, and my understanding was that it was going to be a single morphing coaster, not dual coaster tracks.

How so? I thought that Dueling Dragons queue has to be one of the best themed queues ever. Unfortunately the coaster portion of the attraction is just a typical coaster. However, they do theme the trains as dragons, and the restraints on the front row are pink as the dragon's tongue.

Montyboy

The fact that these are the points you brought up to support your position shows that you don't understand my point. Cars is much more sophisticated animation than Ice Age. They are not in the same league. That's not a matter of opinion. Likewise, Universal and Disney are in the same league as far as theme parks are concerned. They both utilize very similar technologies and styles of attractions.

Clearly, this was brought about from your inability to make your point. (Okay, now I’m just messing with you.)
The two resorts are certainly in the same class (let’s get away from the word “league”), but for fun, look up the word idiom. Because I know that pretty girls don't actually come a dime a dozen.

CaptainMichael

Trust me, as an ex-CP, we got treated like crap. We were the ones who weren't offered the opportunities that the main CM got. We were on the very minimum wage that Florida allows. Worked far more hours (60 hour weeks), and the worst hours.

The ''parties'' that are offered, mainly are open to all. Unless you're talking about the ones which are at the housing. In which case, these are paid for by the very high rent which comes out of the CPs pay cheque every week.

We do get special parties at the parks sometimes as well:wave: Fall 2007 we had party in the MK after hours in Tomorrowland. Free food, SM with the lights on, characters. It was a good time.

raven

The Themed Entertainment Association -- http://www.themeit.com/press/15thea.doc (Microsoft Word Document)

That's a Thea Award for Outstanding Achievement. Not an official "Best of 2008" award.

CPs have company Holiday parties at Epcot, send off parties and sometimes welcome parties. That's much more than what CMs get.

As for the hours all I can say is that's what being a CP is about. Everyone knows their schedules and pay. But regular CM pay isn't much better.

SirGoofy

Universal doesn't have the land or funds to do as much as Disney could. I'm sure if Universal had more land to develop and more people attending their parks, they'd do more to keep the parks up and running and add more exciting new rides and attractions. When Disney adds something new, it's below the standard of quality that Disney is known for, but since it's "Disney" people will just accept the fact that is 'high quality.' TSM is an overhyped Wii game on a track, I would hardly classify that as a ride. Simpsons is more of a ride with a storyline, even though it's just another simulator attraction.

Using your Wii game on a track analogy, wouldn't the Simpsons Ride then be a movie with a moving seat? I was entertained by the ride, but incredibly underwhelmed after all the hype it recieved. The clips in the queue were great, as were the Disney parodies, but the pre-show and the ride were dull in my opinion. It was an okay attraction. But was it good enough to replace Back to the Future? IMO, no it wasn't.

And believe me I will openly bash any ride that isn't at Disney quality, but TSM is not one of them. A fun and interesting queue, and an incredibly entertaining ride is definitely up to Disney standards.

Oh, and for the record, IOA has added Flying Unicorn and Storm Force Excellatron, and reworked an attraction that was supposted to open up with Seuss Landing by giving it a new ride system and calling it High in the Sky Seuss Sky Trolley. There were supposted to be a few more attractions in the original IOA, but didn't happen due to budget cuts and lack of space. There was also something going around that Universal was supposted to have a helicoptor attraction with Soarin' technology at Jurassic Park, and AK was supposted to have Dueling Dragons in their Beastly Kingdom, so it all evens out IMO.

No. The Dragon coaster at AK was going to have a queue just as highly themed as DD, except with a ride to match, not just a roller coaster.

And yes, I guess I should have said HP was the first WORTHWHILE attraction added to IOA since it opened. Calling Flying Unicorn and Storm Force major additions is like calling Dino-rama a major addition to DAK. I've never seen a line for either attraction. And the Suess Trolley? That's like making a big deal about the TTA.

Another thing to point out is to watch what they do with HHN. Universal actually listens to their feedback, and asks for suggestions and ideas through several polls. Because of this, they're able to see what they can improve on for next year's HHN, and last year was by far simply amazing. They brought back great themed scarezones, still have a lot of haunted houses to offer, and several shows on top of it. HHN has turned from a seasonal event to a new temporary theme park at night during for the most of October. Do you ever see Disney put so much time and effort into wowing it's fans like this? I highly doubt it, and if they really are, then they seriously need to step up their game and really listen to what it's fans have to say about their stale parks at WDW.

Again, Universal does do some things better than Disney. HHN is one of them. But overall their parks are just as stale as WDW. Period. I went to IOA for the first time since it opened, and found it to be exactly the same. I can go to Magic Kingdom and I feel the same way. In all honesty BOTH of the resorts need to step up their game.

SirGoofy

And what's the beef on the CPs? Sure some of them aren't the best cast members, but I'd say about 80-95% of them have more passion for their jobs than most of the full timers, and have a great time while they are at work. Heck I know I loved going to work every day and making people laugh and have fun. I still do love it everytime I go down there and work, and most of my friends loved it too.:shrug:

RSoxNo1

How so? I thought that Dueling Dragons queue has to be one of the best themed queues ever. Unfortunately the coaster portion of the attraction is just a typical coaster. However, they do theme the trains as dragons, and the restraints on the front row are pink as the dragon's tongue.

Yes, the queue is themed, but the coaster isn't. You can see backstage, there's nothing "dragon like" about the ride. Imagineers went over to Universal and brought a derivation of the Dragon Tower ride with them. The thing that really stuck was the queue. The ride that Disney was planning however, was far more elaborate from everything that I've read. I don't remember the complete storyline but we would be helping bats get treasure or something like that from a Dragon that was guarding a tower. At one point in the ride, the coaster would switch from being a normal coaster to an inverted one (or it might have been the other way around). Perhaps someone else can clarify this further.

SirGoofy

Yes, the queue is themed, but the coaster isn't. You can see backstage, there's nothing "dragon like" about the ride. Imagineers went over to Universal and brought a derivation of the Dragon Tower ride with them. The thing that really stuck was the queue. The ride that Disney was planning however, was far more elaborate from everything that I've read. I don't remember the complete storyline but we would be helping bats get treasure or something like that from a Dragon that was guarding a tower. At one point in the ride, the coaster would switch from being a normal coaster to an inverted one (or it might have been the other way around). Perhaps someone else can clarify this further.

That's pretty much the general idea. As you were going through the queue you would be seeing bat AAs, but they were about 3 feet tall or so. You would hear snippets of the plan to steal treasure from the dragon that lived in the castle until you got to the final scene where the lead bats would recruit you as their main weapon in stealing the loot.

As far as the coaster inverting half way through the ride...I have no idea.

agent86

Disney has a story to each attraction and Universal doesn't

Really? So let me make sure I am understanding you correctly. You're saying that Disney has a story on EACH of their attractions (am I correct in assuming you mean ALL of their attractions)? And when you say that Universal doesn't, do you mean that NONE of their attractions have a story to them? Or are you saying that, unlike Disney (which you claim has a story to EACH of their attractions) Universal only has a story to SOME? I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying before I list some examples of Disney attractions that do NOT have a story to them, and also many Universal attractions that DO. I'm just a little unclear on what distinction exactly that you're trying to make between Universal and Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom