Universal vs. Disney

Captain Chaos

^ To see if the service is any better. If ya don't have a Uni. shirt (Nick, Dreamworks, Woody Woodpecker, Seuss, etc.) wear a normal one. Just curious, as when I wore a Woody sweater, I was treated fine. ^

Ah. I don't like Emeril that much. I much prefer Mario. Next...

Which do you think cost more, Ripsaw or Splash?

Ok, so what will that prove? That you'll be mocked wearing a Disney shirt, but won't be mocked wearing one of Universal's shirts?? I think the comments posted in this thread that Universal employees mock and mimic people wearing Disney shirts at Universal is proof enough that it happens...

Disneyson 1

^ As a control. Like in a good sci. experiment. Who knows, maybe they're always rude! And I wonder what they'll say if you wear a shirt from a different theme park, like SeaWorld or Bush? It seems like the mean-ness only occurs with Disney.^

I like em both too. I REALLY want to go on Ripsaw again, 'cuz I only went on it once. Plus, the mirror image ride system baffles me. Do the 2 tracks differ at any point??

Disneyson 1

And the lap bars aren't so great themselves. But the drop is SOOO much more intense! Still, Splash is great too. Where Splash lacks in thrills it picks up in fully animated AAs.

raven

And the lap bars aren't so great themselves. But the drop is SOOO much more intense! Still, Splash is great too. Where Splash lacks in thrills it picks up in fully animated AAs.

True. Since Disney's aim is to have most attractions that families can ride together it kind of inhibits the thrill factor so they come up with other ways. If theaming is the best way to go then I guess I'll take it since they are awesome at it.

Disneyson 1

True. Since Disney's aim is to have most attractions that families can ride together it kind of inhibits the thrill factor so they come up with other ways. If theaming is the best way to go then I guess I'll take it since they are awesome at it.

...But I think that story and effects are top-notch on both.

EXACTLY!!! That's why I wonder how a different theme park shirt (besides Disney) will affect employee reactions...

...or you can make a Design-A-Tee that says "Deal with it, Universal" on it...

:lookaroun

:wave:

whylightbulb

So, there ya go.. That's my little story.... Now, this doesn't mean I won't go to Universal ever again... I just won't go while I have the bad taste still in my mouth from this experience...

And if there is anyone here who says SeaWorld, Six Flags, or Disney would even do such a thing to their guests is a bold faced liar... I can't see any other theme park treating their guests like that...
Okay obviously I don't know you or the other poster that complained about Universal's employees and thought it was the shirts being worn that prompted such behavior but come on man!

Back in the days working as a cast member I had the opportunity to work Guest Relations at the Magic Kingdom for about 3 months. I can tell you that I heard stories such as yours, and worse, on a daily basis. People would come in and tell elaborate stories about cast members cursing, chewing gum, ignoring them, talking with each other loudly during shows and even shoving or hitting them.

Working in attractions, both as a regular cast member and also a lead, I have been on the other side of the complaints. I have had to tell a man to remove his hand from the space mountain track at unload only to receive a guest complaint from him later that day. I have had to tell a couple to please be seated in the Carousel of Progress only to have them stick their middle fingers out at me. I had to estop the attraction and go into that theater because they still wouldn't sit down. I received a guest complaint from that incident as well.

The point is, both Disney and Universal are staffed by human beings. Whether they work at Disney or Universal they are not perfect and it's getting more and more difficult to find quality help these days. It's not either company's policy to treat its customers rudely. But none of us really know what you actually did to prompt such responses from these employees. We are hearing your side of it. Trust me, it wasn't the shirts. They couldn't care less what you were wearing.

Maybe you didn't do anything, and I'm not excusing that type of behavior if it is indeed an accurate depiction of what happened. But I have to be honest when I say I question your version. I can see running into one maybe two people that rude on a bad day but what you have described is not believable and I'm sure is an exaggeration. Perhaps not purposeful but nonetheless a skewed version of what actually occurred.

If I'm wrong than all I can say is give Universal another chance. I've been there over 100 times I'm sure and have never experienced anything close to what you have described.

raven

...it's getting more and more difficult to find quality help these days.

Finding quality isn't the problem. There are plenty of unemployed quality people trying to find work. The problem with the parks is that the industry wants top quality but refuses to pay decent wages for it. And they won't because they know that for every person in one of their jobs that refuses to work for pennies has a line up of people behind them that will. It's an endless cycle.

Captain Chaos

Okay obviously I don't know you or the other poster that complained about Universal's employees and thought it was the shirts being worn that prompted such behavior but come on man!

Back in the days working as a cast member I had the opportunity to work Guest Relations at the Magic Kingdom for about 3 months. I can tell you that I heard stories such as yours, and worse, on a daily basis. People would come in and tell elaborate stories about cast members cursing, chewing gum, ignoring them, talking with each other loudly during shows and even shoving or hitting them.

Working in attractions, both as a regular cast member and also a lead, I have been on the other side of the complaints. I have had to tell a man to remove his hand from the space mountain track at unload only to receive a guest complaint from him later that day. I have had to tell a couple to please be seated in the Carousel of Progress only to have them stick their middle fingers out at me. I had to estop the attraction and go into that theater because they still wouldn't sit down. I received a guest complaint from that incident as well.

The point is, both Disney and Universal are staffed by human beings. Whether they work at Disney or Universal they are not perfect and it's getting more and more difficult to find quality help these days. It's not either company's policy to treat its customers rudely. But none of us really know what you actually did to prompt such responses from these employees. We are hearing your side of it. Trust me, it wasn't the shirts. They couldn't care less what you were wearing.

Maybe you didn't do anything, and I'm not excusing that type of behavior if it is indeed an accurate depiction of what happened. But I have to be honest when I say I question your version. I can see running into one maybe two people that rude on a bad day but what you have described is not believable and I'm sure is an exaggeration. Perhaps not purposeful but nonetheless a skewed version of what actually occurred.

If I'm wrong than all I can say is give Universal another chance. I've been there over 100 times I'm sure and have never experienced anything close to what you have described.

Considering you weren't with me, you would have no idea what went on.. But let me see if I get this straight...

You are saying that I don't know what happened to me?? You question my version?? Hmm, let's see I was there, you weren't.. I know what happened to me that day, you don't... I simply stated what had happened to me that day in Universal... So, I experienced what I wrote, but, I really didn't according to you?? Relax, take a deep breath and realize that Universal is flawed, and since it is ok for you to point out Disney's flaws, it is ok for us to point out Universal's flaws.. Not saying Disney is perfect.. But, Universal's GS is really flawed..

And believe me, I don't have that great of an imagination to come up with something like that... if I did, I'd be writing books and movies.. And if I was going to embellish, I'd make it sound a lot worse than it really was... Trust me...

Now, also, please read the end of my post where I did say I will go back to Universal, but not right now... So, obviously, I am in the mind set of giving Universal another chance, when the sour taste of that last bad experience is gone....

Captain Chaos

Customer service should not be swayed by the clothing of your customers.

Shouldn't be... But that manager I ran into sure was... At least it seemed like it.. I can take the teasing from Universal's employees.. Actually, it kind of adds to the fun... But, when the manager says the shirt I am wearing played a part in what happened to me, and to deal with it, well, that is more than innocent joking...

Captain Chaos

Finding quality isn't the problem. There are plenty of unemployed quality people trying to find work. The problem with the parks is that the industry wants top quality but refuses to pay decent wages for it. And they won't because they know that for every person in one of their jobs that refuses to work for pennies has a line up of people behind them that will. It's an endless cycle.

That's true.. What both of you said is true... I still have yet to have a really bad experience with a Disney CM, but, I do see more and more with mad, sad, and angry looks on their faces, no smiles, and not so much of a willingness to help anymore... Not all, but some, and it is getting more and more common... Maybe one day I will be coming on here and posting something similar happening to me in Disney.. Who knows...

raven

Shouldn't be... But that manager I ran into sure was... At least it seemed like it.. I can take the teasing from Universal's employees.. Actually, it kind of ads to the fun... But, when the manager says the shirt I am wearing played a part in what happened to me, and to deal with it, well, that is more than innocent joking...

Like I said in one of my other posts, this response seems almost rehearsed. It seems like they want their employees to jab Disney.

raven

That's true.. What both of you said is true... I still have yet to have a really bad experience with a Disney CM, but, I do see more and more with mad, sad, and angry looks on their faces, no smiles, and not so much of a willingness to help anymore... Not all, but some, and it is getting more and more common... Maybe one day I will be coming on here and posting something similar happening to me in Disney.. Who knows...

Another wave of CPs came in this weekend. In fact it's the largest deligation yet. Disney favors the CPs and reserves some very good jobs for them that aren't offerend to the rest of the local CMs. This in turn creates turbulance backstage sometimes and at the Casting Office. But I can almost bet that most complaints about Disney CMs are about CPs. Most come to party and some of them don't care about the real reason why they are there.

Captain Chaos

Like I said in one of my other posts, this response seems almost rehearsed. It seems like they want their employees to jab Disney.

Maybe it is rehearsed and encouraged... Could be part of the fun and games they think we should get into with them... But, I will give them a pat on the back for one thing with this... It does encourage employee/guest interaction... and a lot of hotly contested threads on the internet.. LOL.. :ROFLOL:

Captain Chaos

Another wave of CPs came in this weekend. In fact it's the largest deligation yet. Disney favors the CPs and reserves some very good jobs for them that aren't offerend to the rest of the local CMs. This in turn creates turbulance backstage sometimes and at the Casting Office. But I can almost bet that most complaints about Disney CMs are about CPs. Most come to party and some of them don't care about the real reason why they are there.

And that right there could be part of the problem...

raven

And that right there could be part of the problem...

Can't confirm it but it may be true. Another 4,400 just came in. If you are in the parks for the next week or so you might recognise them by their "Earning My Ears" ribbons. I saw a group of about 50 of them backstage at Epcot on Saturday morning getting on a bus for their Discovery Day. I don't dislike them at all. It's just that once in a while there are a few that give CPs the bad reputation.

Montyboy

What you've actually said though (repeatedly) is that "Universal is not in the same league as Disney." This is somewhat of a deviation from simply (and innocently) expressing an opinion.
No it's not. He is expressing his opinion that Universal is not in the same league as Disney.

Mike 08

i really think the whole disney vs universal debate is exclusive to locals. i live in new york and let me tell you, universal is not even a blip on the radar here. ya people know it exists but its more of a something to do if you have an extra day while at disney thing. trust me when i say this, nobody is going to fly to florida to go to universal studios. thrill rides are everywhere in the country. only one place has the magic, thats disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom