Universal vs. Disney

DisneyparkFreak

Original Poster
We are starting to hear more and more coming out of Universal about new attractions lately such as Transformers and the continued expansion/construction of Harry Potter just to name a couple. And i am getting more excited to visit those parks verses the Disney parks I have grown to love. When is the mouse going to announce something that will blow Universal out of the water? The whole excuse of the economy doesn't seem to be phasing the boys at universal they continue to dump more money into their parks and resorts, while it just seems Disney is just sitting around knowing that people will visit just because its disney...

The disney brass cant possibly think that a DCA resurrection will be the answers to their prayers, the amount of people who will visit DCA is dwarfed by the people who visit WDW annually.

So what gives??? What are they waiting for??? 2011 is just around the corner and construction hasn't begun anywhere. The way i see it and by no means am i an expert Disney missed the boat last year, and now they will truly need some Magic to compete once the economy gets better. The cold war of theme parks may have been won by universal after all. This is just my opinion...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Univeral vs Disney again? Does this topic come up every month now?

Anyway, the Transformers ride is only going into Hollywood (and Singapore) and that park has seriously lacked any decent attractions for a long time.

DisneyDellsDude

I think WDI is working on quite a bit for WDW from all the rumors going around - much more than UC is for Universal, but our management seems to be holding back.

One can only wonder why...:(

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Disney > Universal

I went to US/IOA in December and was less-than-impressed. The ONLY thing they out-do Disney on is the number of thrill rides. Dueling Dragons kicked @$$

PaisleyMF

Disney vs. Universal take 4,345,876

Universal is an OK park, the only thing that well keep them alive is that is a trill park, nothing fancy, nothing in high quality.

Yes they do have construction for a new coaster at Universal and a Mini Theme park / Island in IOA. Then Harry Potter is delayed, and the new coaster is design so they can keep it running even after the park closes so they can recoup that money.

And I will say that Universal Hollywood is WAY much better that Orlando, except that we still have ET!

Disney on the other hand we may not know what will be coming for the 40th, but then did people knew what to expect when Disneyland hit 50?

Nobody knew that Space Mountain was ready even with the very extensive rehab (3 years?) or that it would be the last time we will get to see a very beloved Small World in it original splendor dressed for the occasion?

But for taste we got choices, some prefer Disney others Universal.

And that is my opinion and i am entitle to be wrong!

Pongo

Disney on the other hand we may not know what will be coming for the 40th, but then did people knew what to expect when Disneyland hit 50?

We knew what WDW was receiving for the HCoE. We knew we were getting Lights, Motors, Action!, Soarin', and Expedition Everest.

We knew we were getting them because of the construction we saw so early on. The construction that is necessary for a huge attraction of that caliber. However, right now we aren't seeing anything like that, and it's a little less than three years away...

Frank Stallone

Downtown Disney makes more money alone than all of Universal Orlando.

No wonder NBC hasn't been able to sell the parks. If it weren't for UK guests and local teenagers/field trips, I'd have a 3 minute wait for Spiderman instead of 5 minutes.

lightboy

Downtown Disney makes more money alone than all of Universal Orlando.

No wonder NBC hasn't been able to sell the parks. If it weren't for UK guests and local teenagers/field trips, I'd have a 3 minute wait for Spiderman instead of 5 minutes.

Check your stats there buddy. This is FALSE.

City Walk actually now dwarfs Downtown Disney in shops, restaurants, and entertainment. Especially since the horrible death of Pleasure Island. City Walk brings in TONS of money, 7 days a week. Most of the time in low to mid peak times, DD is a ghost town...and CW is jumping with plenty of people. Definitely a happening place, but they also get the local crowd (that Disney used to get).

Like the original poster said...Disney is closing attractions, and making cutbacks...and Universal is using this time to their advantage. One day Disney will realize that they can no longer ride on the heritage...and that their product (the REAL one, not the cutbacks) is what attracts you and me alike.

There was no Universal OR Disney bashing in this posting.

MonsterManX

From a buisness standpoint , they're probally just waiting for all the new things to come out in Universal , and then Disney will make the move of annoucing something big, watch.

I think WDI is working on quite a bit for WDW from all the rumors going around - much more than UC is for Universal, but our management seems to be holding back.

One can only wonder why...:(

True, but this is where Disney fails IMO, they believe in quantity over quality, and I feel that the majority, if not all their recent additions to the parks have been lacking in quality, and just simply built to keep guests coming back to see this "Brand new!!!!!11" show or attraction, and it's just a rehashed parade give or take a few floats and characters, and a brand new song, and because of these minimal changes, we'll need to raise the ticket prices for this 'new experience.' Also, Disney has more money to play around with, and more space to build new things, whereas Universal is struggling and doesn't have that much land to play around with. Heck, in order for us to have HPland, we had to give up most of our Lost Continent area which I felt was one of the best themed sections of a theme park anywhere, even J.K. Rowling herself said that she loved the theming of the LC and was sad to see it go, but is confident that HP will be a better replacement.

I knew it, here comes the Universal bashing again... :brick:

Maybe if we don't post these threads as often, the bashing won't happen on a DISNEY forum? Seriously guys, why is it hard to to say Universal is a great park to visit? Is it because it'll make you appear less cool in front of your friends here? Is it because it's not ran by a mouse? Or is it because you have no idea what's at Universal and don't seem to care and think that since it isn't Disney, makes it something that you can skip? For those that feel they have to bash Universal just because, I'd say they need to take off their "mouse colored" glasses and see Universal as a fun experience juast as you see Disney as a "magical" experience. I enjoy both parks just the same, but tend to favor Universal more due to the fact that they aren't trying to force 'magic' down your throats with all this cutsie-pie toddler-oriented shows that pretty much make you buy the movie-related souvenirs when you're done with a ride or show. To me, Disney 'magic' has changed from how you experience their parks, to how quickly they make your money disappear while keeping you happy, and I'm glad I don't feel this 'magic' at Universal :)

What kind of attraction is the Transformers going to be????

I heard it was going to be comparable to Spiderman, but with updated technology and effects that will blow those away that you've seen on Spiderman. I'm not sure if it's going to be similar to the new attraction for HP which is a robocoaster arm on a bussbar, but either way, having it called an "updated Spiderman" has me excited :)

Duckberg

DISNEY vs Universal

Based upon Holiday crowd numbers appears WDW
is still strong :sohappy:. However 2009 has just begun
and we will see?

No. 1 complaint I hear @ WDW is NO nightlife
for adults & PROBLEM Island (PI) needs attention
ASAP. I concur Universal has the nightlife edge
in this category currently over WDW!

Duckberg :cool:

lightboy

To me, Disney 'magic' has changed from how you experience their parks, to how quickly they make your money disappear while keeping you happy, and I'm glad I don't feel this 'magic' at Universal :)

Very well said.

Again, no bashing either way. He's simply stating his opinion, and a truthful one at that.

There's more behind the magic that many don't realize. It's corporate America. And it's greed. Oh yes, and something they used to call "magic".

lightboy

From a buisness standpoint , they're probally just waiting for all the new things to come out in Universal , and then Disney will make the move of annoucing something big, watch.

I'd like to make a correction...

Same concept I introduced in the thread "Slash and Burn" just now.

Disney will announce another teaser attraction. Another something to gain the media for a whole 48 hours worldwide. Then nothing again. I would hardly call a series of refurbishments, something big. As Disney has continuously introduced in the last couple years.

Disney should be on the frontline, and not bringing up the rear. Soon they'll figure this concept out.

WDW1974

I think Universal has a great product, much like I feel Disney does.

Universal is always going to take heat on a Disney forum because frankly it just isn't Disney. And anything that isn't Disney isn't going to engender loads of warm feelings on sites like this.

There are things Universal does better than Disney and vice versa.

They are different and I think that's a very good thing.

I'm a 'Disney' guy but that doesn't mean I don't love the Universal parks. Just if I could only have one day in one park (in Florida) it would always be EPCOT. Lucky for me, I never have only one day in Orlando!

As for Transformers, the word out of Universal is that while it is debuting in Singapore (a resort I really want to visit at opening!) and shortly thereafter in Hollywood ... it will make its way to Orlando in short order.

I never saw the movie so I'm not really into the franchise, but if the attraction is great it really won't matter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom