Universal Vs Disney: Universal on the rise?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Chaos

Indeed. Ripsaw is an excellent ride but with too much infrastructure visible.
Blutos however remains my favourite rapids. Knocks Kali for six and surpasses Grizzly.
Ripsaw is an excellent ride, but doesn't it also suffer from constant break downs? When I was there last year the ride was down both days I visited IOA...

Indeed. Ripsaw is an excellent ride but with too much infrastructure visible.
Blutos however remains my favourite rapids. Knocks Kali for six and surpasses Grizzly.

I have not had the chance to ride Grizzly so i cant comment on that. Kali is short in my opinion. I am not a big fan of the rides where you get super wet. That is why i like Splash, besides that cannon near the front where if you are unlucky and get soaked you generally never get too wet.

draybook

Lol, why is Six Flags the standard when "insulting" a theme park? I've been to SFStL a handful of times. While it's no Disney World Resort, it's enjoyable and you get your money's worth we think. I haven't been to SFMM since about 91, so I can't comment on that park, but I've heard stories from family and friends that are still out there.

Lol, why is Six Flags the standard when "insulting" a theme park? I've been to SFStL a handful of times. While it's no Disney World Resort, it's enjoyable and you get your money's worth we think. I haven't been to SFMM since about 91, so I can't comment on that park, but I've heard stories from family and friends that are still out there.

Which one is StL?

I just went to the one outside of Chicago in October and 60 bucks was way too much for what they had.

Dad 2 M & M

Is that one of the "old" three? Used to be called Six Flags Mid-America? Back in the day we only had Six Flags Over Georgia, Texas, and Mid America. Not sure if that is the same one.....haven't been there since the '70s, but it was a blast back then.

George Lucas on a Bench

I would lead more toward the adjective.

It's fairly easy to criticize both Disney and Universal. I can admit the faults of both resorts and enjoy them both. Yet, the fact remains that Universal has been delivering major attractions popular with younger and older crowds. You know, like Disney used to do when they opened stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, EPCOT and the like. Disney has very obviously narrowed down their target audience to children, which has polarized a lot of their fans. Those same attractions Universal has been opening are also big-budget, high-tech, sprawling adventure rides the likes of which Disney hasn't built in a long while (or at all). Many of Disney's classic rides and effects which defined what a Disney experience was all about have fallen into disrepair, or have been similarly dumbed down.

Now, your criticisms of Universal aren't very fair. Despicable Me is a fairly minor attraction and a nice refresh for that space. Dueling Dragons was already a great pair of roller coasters, there was no reason to make it much different for Harry Potter. I still don't really get the complaints about that. Universal has had issues with upkeep, but they've been pretty good about it for a while now. You won't go on Spider-Man, Harry Potter or Men in Black and find everything broken, for instance. They've played their cards pretty well. I like what I'm seeing. I think Universal Studios in a few years is going to be spectacular.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would lead more toward the adjective.

It's fairly easy to criticize both Disney and Universal. I can admit the faults of both resorts and enjoy them both. Yet, the fact remains that Universal has been delivering major attractions popular with younger and older crowds. You know, like Disney used to do when they opened stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, EPCOT and the like. Disney has very obviously narrowed down their target audience to children, which has polarized a lot of their fans. Those same attractions Universal has been opening are also big-budget, high-tech, sprawling adventure rides the likes of which Disney hasn't built in a long while (or at all). Many of Disney's classic rides and effects which defined what a Disney experience was all about have fallen into disrepair, or have been similarly dumbed down.

Now, your criticisms of Universal aren't very fair. Despicable Me is a fairly minor attraction and a nice refresh for that space. Dueling Dragons was already a great pair of roller coasters, there was no reason to make it much different for Harry Potter. I still don't really get the complaints about that. Universal has had issues with upkeep, but they've been pretty good about it for a while now. You won't go on Spider-Man, Harry Potter or Men in Black and find everything broken, for instance. They've played their cards pretty well. I like what I'm seeing. I think Universal Studios in a few years is going to be spectacular.

Outside of FLE which is part of Fantasyland and obviously geared towards kids I don't really see how Disney has changed their target audience to be geared towards children. In the last 10 years the major attractions opened at WDW were:

MK: Stitch (rethemed from Alien Encounter), MILF
AK: Primeval Whirl, EE
DHS: LMA stunt show, Toy Story Mania
EPCOT: Mission Space, Soarin, Test Track refurb

The big ticket additions of EE, MS, Soarin and TT refurb all have height restrictions and are not geared toward children specifically. Toy Story is fun for the whole family. I agree that FLE has been a pretty large dose of kid centered attractions, but that will be offset by Avatar eventually (maybe).

JT3000

I just think it is kinda shady to almost act like these are new rides when they are just paint jobs.

It's amazing, the things you can do with a little paint.

oi-flight-of-the-hippogriff-harry-potter-world-2011-884.jpg

WWOHPG21.jpg

PHO-10Jun23-233652.jpg

I tried painting my room once. I never got any results like this. I must be doing it wrong.

draybook

Correct, SFStL is Six Flags St Louis, although it's technically outside of St Louis in Eureka. Admission includes the water park and we enjoyed it quite nicely. When we know we will be going 2 or more times in a year we just get the AP, which is like $99 a person, so it's worth it. I can't speak for the other Six Flags parks other than MM and StL. We've gone past the one at Atlanta on the way to cheer competitions, but we've never had the time to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom