Universal Vs Disney: Universal on the rise?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

Lol, why is Six Flags the standard when "insulting" a theme park? I've been to SFStL a handful of times. While it's no Disney World Resort, it's enjoyable and you get your money's worth we think. I haven't been to SFMM since about 91, so I can't comment on that park, but I've heard stories from family and friends that are still out there.
I've been a Six Flags season passholder for years; well worth the $49.99 I pay annually. I've also been to 7 different Six Flags nationally. Lots of fun "grown-up" roller coasters. Met lots of friendly employees. However, as you write, "it's no Disney World Resort". Six Flags is simply not up to Orlando theme park standards.

I think Six Flags is used to make the point because there are (were) so many of them. People have been to them and, therefore, can relate to the comparison.

I would lead more toward the adjective.

It's fairly easy to criticize both Disney and Universal. I can admit the faults of both resorts and enjoy them both. Yet, the fact remains that Universal has been delivering major attractions popular with younger and older crowds. You know, like Disney used to do when they opened stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, EPCOT and the like. Disney has very obviously narrowed down their target audience to children, which has polarized a lot of their fans. Those same attractions Universal has been opening are also big-budget, high-tech, sprawling adventure rides the likes of which Disney hasn't built in a long while (or at all). Many of Disney's classic rides and effects which defined what a Disney experience was all about have fallen into disrepair, or have been similarly dumbed down.

Now, your criticisms of Universal aren't very fair. Despicable Me is a fairly minor attraction and a nice refresh for that space. Dueling Dragons was already a great pair of roller coasters, there was no reason to make it much different for Harry Potter. I still don't really get the complaints about that. Universal has had issues with upkeep, but they've been pretty good about it for a while now. You won't go on Spider-Man, Harry Potter or Men in Black and find everything broken, for instance. They've played their cards pretty well. I like what I'm seeing. I think Universal Studios in a few years is going to be spectacular.

My problem with Dueling Dragons is that one of the biggest problems, its shakey and instablity while riding was not fixed while changing the name. Rides like DD are supposed to be smooth and fast, but atleast when i went in the Summer it was still shakey and unstable as it was before Potter Land opened. Some of the stuff they are doing is really interesting, still not a fan of the additions of Mummy and RR&R but that is my personal opinion

fosse76

Which one is StL?

I just went to the one outside of Chicago in October and 60 bucks was way too much for what they had.
$60 was too much for 32 rides? And that number excludes the small kiddie rides. None of the Disney parks in Florida even come close to that number, and having worked at that park those rides are wll maintained. However, I do think the prices they charge for food and beverages is outrageous, bordering on price gouging.

$60 was too much for 32 rides? And that number excludes the small kiddie rides. None of the Disney parks in Florida even come close to that number, and having worked at that park those rides are wll maintained. However, I do think the prices they charge for food and beverages is outrageous, bordering on price gouging.

60 bucks for a grand total of 4 rides we were actually able to get on since the waits for all the rides were like 2 hours, then 20 for parking and food prices were insane. The rides are all fun but still.

BryceM

And yet the Ride is the EXACT same thing...nice try buy you failed. Try again.
It's a whole different experience. New queue, new trains, new name, new view! I mean, you're twirling through the Forbidden Forest with a view of Hogwarts and Hogsmeade.

Plus a really neat Hippogriff animatronic.

Disneyhead'71

And yet the Ride is the EXACT same thing...nice try buy you failed. Try again.

CTX>Dinosaur and yet the ride is the exact same thing EPIC FAIL@Disney.

And FightonIrish, I admire your passion, but I am amazed at the lack of critical thinking. You talk like an '80s baby. You know it all and aren't afraid to tell anyone who will put up with you about it.

Maybe DisNERDS wouldn't be so defensive if, you know, Disney was actually being an industry leader.

Oddysey

Through most of the last century Disney was on the cutting edge of technology, and delivered experiences that were unrivaled. They truley made a day at the parks awe inspiring because it was something that could not be seen anywhere else. This has led to a deep nostalgia from much of the current fan base, which now wants to share this experience with their children.

In the new century US has been innovative, and their offerings are now on the cutting edge of technology. They are now delivering experiences that are superior to what Disney is offering. I know when I got off of Potter for the first time I was in awe, and thought that these are the types of cutting edge experiences that Disney used to offer. Since US is now offering superior attractions and fantastic themeing, at what point does US become nostalgically rooted in our children? Once US is viewed as the superior product with our children, then they will want their children to have the same experience.

As a result, I think Disney will lead the way with regard to park attendance for many years to come. However, a new generation will identify with Universal as the premium product, and at some point if things do not change at WDW US will eventually lead the way with regard to market share.

lazyboy97o

Is that one of the "old" three? Used to be called Six Flags Mid-America? Back in the day we only had Six Flags Over Georgia, Texas, and Mid America. Not sure if that is the same one.....haven't been there since the '70s, but it was a blast back then.
Yes, Six Flags St. Louis was Six Flags Over Mid-America, the last of the three original parks.

BigRedDad

To me, Universal is different and excitement quickly fades after a few days/trips. We went 3 times in 2 years. The first time was great, 2nd was OK, and the 3rd was eh!!! We go because my college roommates can afford to go there. I had much more fun at Sea World, but that was new too. For short trips, Universal and Sea World are good. For longer trips (4+ days), WDW is the better place to be for me.

DfromATX

Hello, this is my first post here so bear with me... We are huge DW fans and are planning our next trip; however, this summer we've decided to do something different. Normally, we like to do 5 park days at DW (usually an extra day at MK). This summer we will cut down our DW time down to 3 days omitting one park and the extra MK day, and do 2 days at Universal. So, DW is losing some business of ours to Universal. (Not because we don't love DW, we just want to try Universal.) Now whether or not we become huge Universal fans, well, that is to be determined, but our kids are getting older and it would be nice to see more rides at HS...

Captain Chaos

In essence you are doing the exact same thing you are complaining about. I have seen hate on this board and it is not coming from the fringe Disney fans, it is coming from the fringe fans who hate and bash everything disney does.
I stated a fact about FRINGE Disney fans... They are disgusting people who are the thing they proclaim to hate... Facts/Truth hurts.... I know...

And yes, the pixie dust afflicted Disney fans are the ones who spew the hatred if anyone dares post something factually negative about WDW... Go read 74's posts and tell me who are the ones spewing the hatred? Afflicted Disney fans...

HTF

How can anyone spend more than 5 hours in IoA? See i can do exactly what you can do. Beyond Spiderman and Harry Potter everything at Universal is boring or weak.

You are a hypocrite

Yup I paid a thousand dollars of my hard earned money on Disney annual passes and over 5k on my last two trips to Disneyland Resort just this year because I'm a hypocrite and secretly hate Disney. You caught me, Bravo Captain Obvious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom