Universal Vs Disney: Universal on the rise?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo DeVil

If that is true why can we do Uni both parks in two days but we spend at least 12 days and nights at Disney, I would also eat at the Disney parks but not really thrilled with the food at Uni it more a case of will make do. I am a Potter fan but Uni should have spent more time planning! The area is too small, and the shop after the Forbidden Journey is a total nightmare. I am not fighting crowds to spend, any money I would have spent there stays safely in my pocket. We normally go in Oct I would hate to think what it is like at a busier times. TTFN Jo

disney fan 13

If that is true why can we do Uni both parks in two days but we spend at least 12 days and nights at Disney, I would also eat at the Disney parks but not really thrilled with the food at Uni it more a case of will make do. I am a Potter fan but Uni should have spent more time planning! The area is too small, and the shop after the Forbidden Journey is a total nightmare. I am not fighting crowds to spend, any money I would have spent there stays safely in my pocket. We normally go in Oct I would hate to think what it is like at a busier times. TTFN Jo

You could also only need 2 days for DLR if you rush, but like UNI, there are many things you would be missing out on. (especially after the expansions!) As for food i'd say that Uni has the upper hand in the Fast food area (And in the table service area Mythos is the best theme park restaurant in Orlando) while Disney has the upper hand at dining in the actual (deluxe) resorts. As for Potter, all the problems you listed will be fixed in phase 2. (Though I think the problems you list are small in the grand scheme of the land.)

George Lucas on a Bench

I can spend a full day at IOA.

They're working at making Universal Studios more of a full day park again with the nighttime show, Transformers and Harry Potter. I have honestly not stood behind a lot of Universal's decisions with closing classic attractions. Kongfrontation, Back to the Future, Jaws, Ghostbusters etc. were exceptionally better properties to feature in the park for me. That stuff was my childhood. Disney had Star Wars and Indy, but Universal had the rest, including Star Trek in the old Screen Test.

That said, I can't deny that Universal Studios is growing stronger and more relevant with immediately popular properties. They are keeping the park fresh and they are going to get a heck of a lot more people through the turnstiles when the new rides and areas open. It won't have King Kong or Back to the Future, but it'll have a lot of other stuff, cutting edge ride technologies and some amazing themed Harry Potter areas if Wizarding World is any indication. It's sure a bomb place to go.

Beholder

I think with the changing of the times, Disney's most challenging task, when dealing with the tween/teen crowd, is it's own image. Family, animation, Small World and the Mouse aren't on that age demographics radar. Some exceptions of course, but overall, the princess and pirate thing goes out of vogue at some point, and Universal is picking up where Disney drops off. I also have noticed how the age in which cartoons become less an entertainment option get lower over the years. Kids are becoming more "mature" in their taste, if you will. I don't consider that all together good, but it's the evolving trend. If Disney doesn't get on the leading edge of this "curve", then Universal will continue to push the envelope in terms of relevance and perhaps even attendance. And who knows, maybe Disney needs someone to prod them into stepping up and doing what we all know they're capable of?

BryceM

Oh no... Another Universal vs. Disney debate...

2012 so far for Universal:

1. Opening of Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
2. Announcement for Cabana Bay hotel.
3. Construction and announcement for Transformers the Ride: 3D.
4. Construction in Universal Studios for Harry Potter expansion.
5. Construction in Islands of Adventure for Harry Potter expansion.
6. Plans revealed for Simpsons expansion and the construction has begun.
7. Opening of Cinematic Spectacular at Universal Studios.
8. Opening of Universal's Super Star Parade at Universal Studios.
9. Re-opening of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man in full HD.
10. Re-painting of Toon Lagoon, Seuss Landing, and Marvel Super-Hero Island at slands of Adventure.
11. Opening of Hollywood Drive-In mini golf course in CityWalk.

Plus, there are rumors of a new Seuss Landing ride, permits have been filed for Monster's Cafe, rumors of a new Jurassic Park ride, replacement shows for Shrek 4D, Terminator, Fear Factor and the Blue Man Group, etc.

Universal's Islands of Adventure is my favorite theme park, Universal Studios Florida follows close behind. I have no doubt that after all of these expansions, Universal Studios Florida will become one of the most powerful theme parks on the planet. I love visiting Universal Orlando and staying at one of the amazing hotels, park-hopping for a few days, great dinners at CityWalk, relaxing at the amazing pools, etc. People need to stop injecting themselves with pixie-dust and go to Universal Orlando with an open mind instead of going and complaining that everything isn't princess or Mickey then shooting down the parks... Well guess what? It isn't.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can spend a full day at IOA.

They're working at making Universal Studios more of a full day park again with the nighttime show, Transformers and Harry Potter. I have honestly not stood behind a lot of Universal's decisions with closing classic attractions. Kongfrontation, Back to the Future, Jaws, Ghostbusters etc. were exceptionally better properties to feature in the park for me. That stuff was my childhood. Disney had Star Wars and Indy, but Universal had the rest, including Star Trek in the old Screen Test.

That said, I can't deny that Universal Studios is growing stronger and more relevant with immediately popular properties. They are keeping the park fresh and they are going to get a heck of a lot more people through the turnstiles when the new rides and areas open. It won't have King Kong or Back to the Future, but it'll have a lot of other stuff, cutting edge ride technologies and some amazing themed Harry Potter areas if Wizarding World is any indication. It's sure a bomb place to go.

Excellent point on closing "classic" rides. Disney classics have a lot more sentimental value to a lot more people than Uni. They are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place there. If they proposed closing Peter Pan and replacing it with a state of the art ride based on a current movie people would riot. I would probably be one of them (pitch fork in one hand and a torch in the other;)). The response would be "why can't we have both". Sure, Disney has the land to fit more, but the budget is not endless. Rides cost money to make and also to maintain and operate. Uni has done a great job at remaining fresh, but most WDW fans would be against removing any classic rides for modern ones especially in the MK and to some extent EPCOT.

Siberianbreaks

The problem with Disney is they need too stop focusing on little kids and doing things half-assed because they take in everything, sure the new fantasylands fantastic so far but cloning the California version of the little mermaid but putting it in a new queue, that's not impressive. Disney needs to hire someone with a good imagination and full of originality, they need to realize they need to spend money to make money and they need to start off by fixing figments home and bring the Dreamfinder back with a whole new ride that doesn't make you want to scream it sucks so much, because im pretty sure figments sabatoging the parks but they really need to have better upkeep and new e-tickets or even add a few little things that hold the magic. Disney is like a whole different world when you step through the gates but they need to improve

George Lucas on a Bench

I can't help but feel Fantasyland was a huge waste of money and a classic attraction. Theme can only get you so far. The attractions do not deliver. As I've said, everything is aimed at little girls and only one truly awesome dark ride is left in that land. I'm more excited to climb the Swiss Family Robinson tree house than see the mediocre Little Mermaid and Belle's sing-along show or whatever.

It's more fun to keep my eye on Universal's new developments than the horrendous states of classic attractions and the latest disappointing kiddie attraction. You know that Harry Potter area in the Studios is going to be spectacular.

AndyS2992

I can't help but feel Fantasyland was a huge waste of money and a classic attraction. Theme can only get you so far. The attractions do not deliver. As I've said, everything is aimed at little girls

I feel somewhat the same. Storybook circus is not aimed at girls though :D

kerri dutrisac

Our family goes every year for 10 days to WDW, 4 days to Universal and 1 day to Seaworld. I really do think you can compare the magic of WDW. But Universal has some really cool attractions. Myself and our 4 boys are huge fans of Harry Potter and love going to Universal Studios to the Harry Potter land. We are really looking forward to the expansion of HP. As well as we cannot wait to try the Transformers ride. But in the end WDW is always #1 in our hearts :)

George Lucas on a Bench

Well yeah, they don't have the "magic" and the classic attractions you'll find at Disney.

But they DO have everything that WDW is not delivering with modern, cutting-edge (expensive) thrills and entertainment. Imagine if Disney maintained EPCOT as Universal does the Studios. They keep refreshing and expanding it while retaining the original spirit of the place, just keeping it up to date. It never feels stagnant and dated like the Future World has since the 90s.

HTF

Oh no... Another Universal vs. Disney debate...

2012 so far for Universal:

1. Opening of Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
2. Announcement for Cabana Bay hotel.
3. Construction and announcement for Transformers the Ride: 3D.
4. Construction in Universal Studios for Harry Potter expansion.
5. Construction in Islands of Adventure for Harry Potter expansion.
6. Plans revealed for Simpsons expansion and the construction has begun.
7. Opening of Cinematic Spectacular at Universal Studios.
8. Opening of Universal's Super Star Parade at Universal Studios.
9. Re-opening of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man in full HD.
10. Re-painting of Toon Lagoon, Seuss Landing, and Marvel Super-Hero Island at slands of Adventure.
11. Opening of Hollywood Drive-In mini golf course in CityWalk.

Plus, there are rumors of a new Seuss Landing ride, permits have been filed for Monster's Cafe, rumors of a new Jurassic Park ride, replacement shows for Shrek 4D, Terminator, Fear Factor and the Blue Man Group, etc.

Universal's Islands of Adventure is my favorite theme park, Universal Studios Florida follows close behind. I have no doubt that after all of these expansions, Universal Studios Florida will become one of the most powerful theme parks on the planet. I love visiting Universal Orlando and staying at one of the amazing hotels, park-hopping for a few days, great dinners at CityWalk, relaxing at the amazing pools, etc. People need to stop injecting themselves with pixie-dust and go to Universal Orlando with an open mind instead of going and complaining that everything isn't princess or Mickey then shooting down the parks... Well guess what? It isn't.

Don't forget the work done by the new show quality teams who have invested money into fixing up areas of the parks as well as pouring money into their attractions. The Mummy is a great example of such improvements. As is Popeye and Bluto which looked brand new earlier this year. Then you also have SpongeBob Storepants, the new pearl store, P!Q at Citywalk, the new stands and wooden decks and major lighting upgrades to Citywalk. Plus you have to add hundreds of tiny repairs and fixes that have gone untreated for years.

No one here can argue that Universal isn't on the rise. What can be argued is whether or not Disney is on the decline...

BryceM

Don't forget the work done by the new show quality teams who have invested money into fixing up areas of the parks as well as pouring money into their attractions. The Mummy is a great example of such improvements. As is Popeye and Bluto which looked brand new earlier this year. Then you also have SpongeBob Storepants, the new pearl store, P!Q at Citywalk, the new stands and wooden decks and major lighting upgrades to Citywalk. Plus you have to add hundreds of tiny repairs and fixes that have gone untreated for years.

No one here can argue that Universal isn't on the rise. What can be argued is whether or not Disney is on the decline...
The new Revenge of the Mummy projections look great, like the launch Imhotep, scarab room projection and treasure room projection. Plus the new lighting in the treasure room and when you first see Imhotep. And I heard even more changes and updates were on the way!

mickeysbrother

I think there was a Universal Studio Store in the Orlando Airport. Maybe one day they will be in the malls.

There is one in the airport but that has been there forever! Just another gimmick to make some bucks before u leave that's it! Universal wont have stores all there merchandise is in stores already! Disney has some merchandise in other stores but the bulk of it all are Disney stores

Tom Morrow

Excellent point on closing "classic" rides. Disney classics have a lot more sentimental value to a lot more people than Uni. They are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place there. If they proposed closing Peter Pan and replacing it with a state of the art ride based on a current movie people would riot. I would probably be one of them (pitch fork in one hand and a torch in the other;)). The response would be "why can't we have both". Sure, Disney has the land to fit more, but the budget is not endless. Rides cost money to make and also to maintain and operate. Uni has done a great job at remaining fresh, but most WDW fans would be against removing any classic rides for modern ones especially in the MK and to some extent EPCOT.
People were upset about Jaws leaving but they still took it out. Would anyone REALLY care if the Jungle Cruise was taken out? It exists today 100% out of nostalgia. Its easier and cheaper to market it as nostalgia than admit its obsolete and use that huge piece of land for something else.

Edit: Ehh, actually Jungle Cruise isn't the best example. Peter Pan's Flight is, though. Its not a good ride! The only enjoyment comes from "I rode this when I was a kid and now you
re my kid and you're riding it!" But, wouldn't you rather be showing your kids a new attraction that blows their mind AND yours? Isn't that one of the reasons you fell in love with WDW in the first place? Not so your child could see the same attraction from 1971 and think "what is the big deal about this?"

I guess my point is, not all the old attractions are timeless. Haunted Mansion is timeless because it still holds up today as a great, impressive, awe inspiring attraction. Stuff like Peter Pan's Flight does not.

George Lucas on a Bench

Peter Pan's pretty awesome. You ride in a pirate ship. You can't even do that on POTC! Plus, it FLIES. Admittedly, the ride could be seriously overhauled. Increase capacity, modernize the really limited old-school animatronics and spruce it all up. It could be spectacular. As it stands now, it's still awesome, but it's more charming. Not technically very impressive or even clean. But of course any money put toward Peter Pan will be for the new interactive wind-up clocks and Tinkerbell vanity mirrors in the queue line.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People were upset about Jaws leaving but they still took it out. Would anyone REALLY care if the Jungle Cruise was taken out? It exists today 100% out of nostalgia. Its easier and cheaper to market it as nostalgia than admit its obsolete and use that huge piece of land for something else.

Edit: Ehh, actually Jungle Cruise isn't the best example. Peter Pan's Flight is, though. Its not a good ride! The only enjoyment comes from "I rode this when I was a kid and now you
re my kid and you're riding it!" But, wouldn't you rather be showing your kids a new attraction that blows their mind AND yours? Isn't that one of the reasons you fell in love with WDW in the first place? Not so your child could see the same attraction from 1971 and think "what is the big deal about this?"

I guess my point is, not all the old attractions are timeless. Haunted Mansion is timeless because it still holds up today as a great, impressive, awe inspiring attraction. Stuff like Peter Pan's Flight does not.

Both are good examples and people would riot if you removed either. Seriously, they would. Anything Walt touched, knew about, dreamed about or even mentioned one time is sacred ground and off limits to touch for many people. Look at the threads on new FLE and mine train. There are a large number of people upset by Snow White being removed even though they are adding another ride themed to the same movie with much better technology. Even updating Pan could present problems for some people. We have tons of people who know every ride effect on classic rides and would endlessly complain about anything at all that is removed. Of course, this place is a bit ridiculous (me included) and probably is not a very good representation of the average WDW fan.

At the end of the day I would love to see Disney dump some cash into updating the classic rides and returning them to their former glory over an Avatar themed flight simulator, but one thing brings new bodies in the door and the other may not so we know where they are going to spend the cash.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Sigh, These threads always have the same kinds of posts over and over again, and no one's mind ever gets changed, but here is a fact regarding The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.Universal spent plenty of time planning, it was JK Rowling herself who insisted the gift shops be true to the books/films in size.

As for the rest of your post, we can all talk about our own experiences, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom