Universal to open "Fear Factor" theme park attractions

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
Universal to open "Fear Factor" theme park attractions
GARY GENTILE
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Apparently fear is not a factor when it comes to melding a TV reality show with a theme park attraction.

An audience-participation show based on the NBC show "Fear Factor" will open in May at the Universal Studios theme parks in Hollywood and Orlando, Fla., the company said.

The "Fear Factor Live" show is an example of the kind of corporate "synergy" resulting from NBC's purchase of Universal in 2003. The deal combined the television network with Universal's movie studio, cable channels and theme parks.

"We've always looked at 'Fear Factor' as kind of a theme park ride on television," NBC Universal Television Group chief Jeff Zucker said. "It made sense to extend that brand into the theme parks."

The attraction will pit theme park guests against each other in a series of extreme stunts that will replicate the physical and culinary challenges seen on the TV series, the company said.

The exact nature of the stunts has not been disclosed, although participants could be hung from harnesses and even challenged to eat unappetizing concoctions, the company said. But contestants will not eat live bugs, as they do on TV.

"We worked closely with the producers of the TV show to come up with a slate of stunts and challenges," said Scott Trowbridge, executive vice president of creative development at Universal Parks and Resorts.

"We are going to put our guests in situations where they will come face to face with nasty, weird stuff," he said. "Are we going to go as gross as the show? No. But you don't have to resort to live bugs to test people's limits."

The attraction will be held in a theater that holds about 1,800 people. Six people will be chosen to compete while other audience members will be given roles, such as shooting water or air at contestants or controlling some of the obstacles on stage.

Several shows will be held throughout the day, including shows featuring entire families, couples, twins, and other combinations. Winners will receive prizes and some contestants may be given the chance to appear in the NBC show, Trowbridge said.

Morphing a TV show into a theme park ride has been done before. The Walt Disney Co. turned the ABC quiz show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" into a live audience participation show at some of its parks.

And Universal has led the way when it comes to turning movies such as "Backdraft" and "Shrek" into theme park attractions.

So far, NBC has no plans to turn any of its other shows into theme park attractions, although all options are open.

"If this one works, maybe someone will be saying 'You're Fired' at a theme park," Zucker joked, referring to the Donald Trump show "The Apprentice."

Hmm.. not sure what to make of this one, if done well this could be a major attraction that will more than make up for the loss of the Wild Wild West stunt show, but unless some real imagination is put into the stunts I fear we could end up with a supped up version of Nickelodeon!
Although, the 'shooting' of air at contestants sounds like they have some pretty big challenges lined up already; a bungee or trapeze could be cool, but you wouldn't find me volunteering very quickly if that were so! :)

jon

dxwwf3

Kiwi Dreamer said:
As i understand, it will be located in what was the Wild Wild West theatre,and will open tentatively in May.

jon

Wow. I bet fans of the Wild Wild West Stunt Show are pretty upset now. USF lost a great stunt show for........this? That has to suck. But believe me I know the feeling :animwink:

Legacy

The_CEO said:
Can they spell Lawsuit?
THANK YOU!

That is my biggest concern. This will become an absolute, liability nightmare. The more I hear about this, the more it becomes a case of "Good Initiative; Bad Idea."

(But James, it opens in May? Sounds like my theory was on the mark.)

Figment1986

the audence members would do something small. and probably sign a waver.... only pro stunt people would do the dangerous ones on T.V.

Legacy

Figment1986 said:
the audence members would do something small. and probably sign a waver.... only pro stunt people would do the dangerous ones on T.V.
This show is just too risky. People don't go to theme parks to compete in Fear Factor. The stunts would have to be easy enough to convince these people to actually do them, but still entertaining enough for the audience. You can't hang them a hundred feet in the air (the stadium isn't that big), you can't have them eat stuff that is too disgusting, you can't have them drive a car off a ramp, you can't do anything with helicopters... WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS SHOW?

Geeze, I feel like this just keeps becoming a worse and worse idea...

Legacy

The_CEO said:
I can seriously see families getting up to leave after seeing a man puke up a 'rotten egg'.
*shakes head*

Universal is going out on a very thin limb with this one.

Can't we just have Friends: Live?

Everyone would love that.

dxwwf3

Legacy said:

Not me! :lol: That has to be the most unfunny sitcom in the history of television.......*Runs and ducks from the angry mob of women who worship the show* :animwink:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
No way man.....I still say Seinfeld should be their first choice for a show, followed by Will & Grace and The Apprentice. :lol:

It will be interesting to see how they pull this one off, that's for sure....

Legacy

NemoRocks said:
No way man.....I still say Seinfeld should be their first choice for a show, followed by Will & Grace and The Apprentice. :lol:

It will be interesting to see how they pull this one off, that's for sure....
The Apprentice: Live?

Bryce could play the Donald.

DarkMeasures

Legacy said:
*shakes head*

Universal is going out on a very thin limb with this one.

No. Just no. Friends deserves to burn in the deepest level of hell. Just my opinion, my I hate that show with a passion.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
DarkMeasures said:
I hate that show with a passion.

As do I.... :lol:

A Seinfeld dark ride could work well though. You start off in the comedy club and Jerry tells some jokes, then you vehicle turns around and you're in Jerry's apartment. Jerry and George AAs are in the kitchen and Elaine is sitting on the couch. A Kramer AA then bursts in, says some things, and then, well, we'll go on from there. :lol:

dxwwf3

DarkMeasures said:
No. Just no. Friends deserves to burn in the deepest level of hell. Just my opinion, my I hate that show with a passion.

I think it's just a guy thing. Friends is more soap opera than comedy show, so I can see why females would be more likely to like it.

Sienfeld: Ride About Nothing now at Universal Studios Florida. I can see it now.

Legacy

coasterfan12 said:
I guess they could do a car stunt if they went outside the buliding. I also herd talk of a big water tank :confused: :confused:

CF12
That supposedly was cut due to budget.

MAN I wish I was in Florida to sneak a pic of that set.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom