Universal to open "Fear Factor" theme park attractions

MKCustodial

Is it me, or making an attraction based on a reality show just seems wrong somehow? I mean, somebody will be rolling out a "Big Brother Park Experience" pretty soon, by the looks of it.

Lynx04

I wonder how many compaints and law suits will arise because the attraction has weight limit. I am sure their will be some money hungry American out their that will try to claim that the attraction discriminates against him participating because of his weight.

I have seen people get upset because they can't ride a the Hulk or DD.

Maybe someone can answer this question, sometimes I see the ride attendents make a group of guess get off the ride and wait for another train, is this because of a weight restriction for a train? Cause I have seen them let them get on the next train.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
Hulk and DD both have 'fat guy' seats equipped with dual restraints near the heartline of each train . it's actualy a disgusting fact the sleds have those seats. if you're too fat, you're too fat. skip the ride and move on to the buffet, tubby.

dxwwf3

Ralph Wiggum said:
Hulk and DD both have 'fat guy' seats equipped with dual restraints near the heartline of each train . it's actualy a disgusting fact the sleds have those seats. if you're too fat, you're too fat. skip the ride and move on to the buffet, tubby.

That was an extremely rude post. And that's about all I have to say about it.

Michael72688

As for law suits, I dont think that will happen since people of "certain body dimensions" can not ride many rides. I cant wait, just about a month to go!

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
dxwwf3 said:
That was an extremely rude post. And that's about all I have to say about it.

rude, but the truth. we need special seats on attractions the same way we need to rent ECV's to the morbidly obese so they can tool around the parks to their 'special' seats. :) I sometimes have rude opinions.

dxwwf3

Ralph Wiggum said:
rude, but the truth. we need special seats on attractions the same way we need to rent ECV's to the morbidly obese so they can tool around the parks to their 'special' seats. :) I sometimes have rude opinions.

You could have worded it ALOT better :lol:

My problem with the Hulk and Dueling Dragons is that the seats are too narrow. I'm not a HUGE person, but I do have wide hips and the seats on these two coasters are a bit snug. I don't know why they made the seats like that. And the larger people seats have the exact same configuration so that doesn't help either. And another bad thing is the fact they the logs on Ripsaw Falls were flat out not designed with tall people in mind. I have to sit in the front seat only now because my legs are too long and big to sit comfortablly around the seat backs. I also have problems at It's A Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean where my knees barely fit inside the boat. I'm much more comfortable when I have room to sit sideways on those rides and let my legs rest to the side. Sure I'm 6'3" but that's not really all that tall to be honest.

I guess my point is, these parks are for everyone and they should Disney and Universal should try to do their best to accommodate as many guests as possible. And it's clear that alot of attractions are not designed with large or tall people in mind. God knows I've been too tall to ride the Tea Cups (And still be able to spin the center) for about 5 years now.

JROK

Back to the topic of Fear Factor Live... This was posted in the Orlando Sentinel the other day...

Fear Factor Live pleases visitors, not tummies
Published April 22, 2005

It's not uncommon for theme parks to test new rides and shows.

It's not uncommon for this to occur before the big summer travel season.

But to have buckets on hand should the testing cause someone to, um, hurl?

Very odd indeed.

Yet that's what was going on at Universal Studios on Thursday. The park corralled visitors to sample "smoothies" -- they looked more like "chunkies" -- to be used in the Fear Factor Live show, which opens June 3.

You've probably heard about it. It's the show based on the popular NBC television series that has cashed in on the public's interest in stupid human tricks.

And, while I'm not sure what it says about the state of human affairs, I'm betting the park's show will be a crowd pleaser -- if the taste test was any gauge.

There was cheering. There was hooting. And yes, those buckets got used.

These were smoothies you wouldn't find in a restaurant, health club or any establishment that hoped to hold on to its state license.

Think of them as fishy protein shakes with lots of solids. You grab yourself a blender, throw in some milk, raw fish, octopus, clam juice, Vienna sausages and sauerkraut, and give it a whirl. Too tame? Add some worms and quail eggs.

Scott Trowbridge, VP of Universal Creative, assured me: "It isn't about victimizing. It's about overcoming your fears."

Easy for Trowbridge to say. I didn't see him, or Universal honchos like Tom Williams or Bob Gault, belly up to the bar.

In fairness, neither did I. Any consideration I had given the idea disappeared when I saw the aforementioned buckets.

Instead, about two-dozen regular folks, people who had already paid $60 to get into the theme park, drank the foul stuff.

And they stood in line for the privilege.

For their gastric trouble, they got a T-shirt and $10 in Universal script.

"I've been trying to get on the TV show for a long time," said Harold Clough, who hoped slugging back the cocktail -- I timed him at about three seconds -- would help future efforts.

Universal doesn't have a corner on the potential-to-hurl market. Down the road at Disney's Epcot, the Mission: Space simulator ride is equipped with motion-sickness bags -- and not just for show.

Fear Factor is Universal's big summer offering. Compared with the Mummy ride that opened last year, the park's getting off pretty cheap.

Producers will pluck contestants from the park each day for six to eight shows. In addition to smoothies, participants will do some acrobatics -- milder versions of their TV cousins -- as well as allow snakes or spiders to crawl all over them.

No one said the smoothies tasted like chicken. A few said their drinks tasted like cat food (not sure how they knew this).

My favorite was 18-year-old Rachel Peterson, who hailed from Albany, N.Y. Standing with her dad, and holding his hand, she was one of the first to toss back the nasty drinks.

She wore brown. She turned green. She had to do some chewing to get through her shake.

Normally, she said, "I'm the pickiest eater."

Susan Strother Clarke can be reached at
sclarke@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5414.

MKCustodial

Yeah, I knew it. Stupid idea. And the worst part is, it's gonna be successfull. So I don't know what's the worst part: someone coming up with the idea or people actually paying to "go on this ride".

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
It's going to be successful because there isn't an original thought on television anymore and NBC now owns Universal. it's a spin of 'who wants to be?' in MGM. it's no wild west stunt show, but it will suck people into the dead spot between MIB and Jaws. it'll take pressure off of some wait times in the park, so it's a good thing.

MKCustodial

I don't think we should settle for crap being a good thing, but that's just me. I mean, many people could've thought Kong was old or not as thrilling, but at least it had more entertainment value than watching people do gross things just for the heck of it.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
MKCustodial said:
I don't think we should settle for crap being a good thing, but that's just me. I mean, many people could've thought Kong was old or not as thrilling, but at least it had more entertainment value than watching people do gross things just for the heck of it.

How will it be "crap?" The television show has a large fan base and many will come to see this in person, just as they did for Who Wants to be a Millionaire - Play It! at WDSF.

JROK

Despite the fact that I rarely watch this show on TV and I think having an attraction based on the show is a bad idea, I think it may work... It's sort of like the Nickelodeon stuff, but for the adults... See kids get slimed or see adults get sick... it's all fun! I think I may just enjoy going to see this because it'll be different everytime... but then again I like Who Wants To... at MGM... Hopefully it doesn't end up like the Fear Factor House they had during Halloween Horror Nights 12... that was a bust....

MKCustodial

"How will it be crap?" Hey, if this type of thing is your cup of tea, all the more power to you. I just don't see why, because of a "fan base" we gotta be subjected to lame ideas. I mean, there isn't a single relity show that spawned a good thing. Maybe the American Idol type shows, and ony because most of them have any talent and are actually doing something.

I just have a feeling this space will be rotating frequently, because I don't see "Fear Factor" still a major "attraction" 100 years from now. And I'm not bashing Universal here, I feel the same way about "Millionaire". I think many years from now there'll be documentaries and studies trying to understand why the human race lost all this time and effort towards reality shows. I even hear the US is getting a reality show channel! Is that for real?

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
I'm on your side MKCustodial, but reality TV is unfortunately a hot button right now, that's why it's going to play to packed houses. they were doing the same things on Japanese TV 10 years ago and we scoffed at the idea. we'll see what the shelf life on this show is. :)

Ralph Wiggum said:

Says the guy with a Ralph Wiggum handle...heck Ralph Wiggum proablly could not fit in a "regular seat"

dxwwf3

Ralph Wiggum said:
6 feet and 170 pounds.

Well Ralph must be the tallest character on The Simpsons if he's that big. I haven't watched the Simpsons in a few years, so maybe I've missed his growth spurt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom