Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

The Mom

Premium Member
Please remember that we've had enough of the "we should have/shouldn't have" arguments to last a lifetime. Please focus on reopening without looking back on closing. Thank you.
9. If a moderator or staff member makes a directive in a thread (for example, to stop with a particular topic), you must adhere to these directives. If you discover a directive only after you’ve posted a message that contravenes it, delete your post or it will be taken to be ignoring moderators.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
With Universal promising park entrance for anyone staying on property, does that put pressure on Disney to do the same thing? I would think that anyone that has bought tickets for the park previously should be able to get in. Will Disney honor every ticket sold the same way?
Interesting. It's a bit easier for Uni to manage that with much less occupancy than Disney has. My bet is Disney just isn't in a position to do that in the beginning of their re-opening.

The Mom

Premium Member
The two may be linked.

Multiple reasons.

1. People have lost family members, and if WDW vacations are closely associated with departed family members, it may only be a reminder which causes pain. Although some might be able to feel comfort remembering all of the happiness. We all grieve differently.

2. People may not want to visit until they no longer have to wear masks, social distance, etc. Others may feel that they want to avoid crowds a little longer.

3. Many people have lost jobs and businesses, and every penny is needed to get back on their feet.

4. Many people might just be concerned about the future - for a variety of reasons - so just want to hunker down at home and save resources. Especially if they are concerned about natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, forest fires, etc) in addition to Covid-19 second wave, along with social/political issues - but those can be discussed on the correct forum, which isn't this one.

lewisc

Multiple reasons.

1. People have lost family members, and if WDW vacations are closely associated with departed family members, it may only be a reminder which causes pain. Although some might be able to feel comfort remembering all of the happiness. We all grieve differently.

2. People may not want to visit until they no longer have to wear masks, social distance, etc. Others may feel that they want to avoid crowds a little longer.

3. Many people have lost jobs and businesses, and every penny is needed to get back on their feet.

4. Many people might just be concerned about the future - for a variety of reasons - so just want to hunker down at home and save resources. Especially if they are concerned about natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, forest fires, etc) in addition to Covid-19 second wave, along with social/political issues - but those can be discussed on the correct forum, which isn't this one.
Agree. Plus international guests can't enter the US. I think posters on Disney fan sites are overestimating demand.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Multiple reasons.

I think I fall in the 2nd scenario. I would rather return to WDW without a mask and social distancing restrictions. That might not be until 2022, but its just simply not worth the expense at the moment.

JMcMahonEsq

With Universal promising park entrance for anyone staying on property, does that put pressure on Disney to do the same thing? I would think that anyone that has bought tickets for the park previously should be able to get in. Will Disney honor every ticket sold the same way?
Unless you have massive cancelations, there is no way that Disney can make that guarantee. The shear number of people that book their rooms months and years in advance, taken with the shear number of Disney on property rooms makes this nigh on impossible. Also with the fact that under normal circumstances you don't have an even distribution of hotel stayers to the 4 parks means without some built in limitation you can't make that guarantee. If MK is only at 30% capacity, but there are 60% of MK capacity number of people staying at Disney resorts, you can't guarantee park entrance to all those people.

HanSoloDolo

A lot of posters talk a lot of smack about front line cast members and I’m very sure a significant number of you have never been one. Some may not care, but the majority of castmembers work in the park because they love it. In my decade long service I chased away several smokers. I prevented guests from rushing the wheel chair viewing for illuminations. I’ve yelled and screamed at people to keep walking on tommorwland bridge. If you truly love it, you fight to make sure that everyone who walks through those gates has the ability the have the same wonderful experience. Also I was born and raised in Florida, I wear a mask every time I go out, and so do the majority of the people every time I’m in the grocery store. Rant over.

Gearbm95

Finally pulled the trigger and purchased tickets to Universal for July 15th. Even though we're staying at the Dolphin for 4 days I can't wait any longer for information from Disney, as they have been providing next to none. With them being quiet on park hopping, and Universal allowing it, I decided to just skip the Disney parks.

Also, couldn't risk not getting a reservation as the Disney vacations rep I spoke with last night couldn't confirm is Dolphin/Swan guests would have access to tickets and reservations prior to the general public. Unless they cancel my stay at the Dolphin we'll probably still end up doing dinner at DS on one of the nights.

disneygeek90

Finally pulled the trigger and purchased tickets to Universal for July 15th. Even though we're staying at the Dolphin for 4 days I can't wait any longer for information from Disney, as they have been providing next to none. With them being quiet on park hopping, and Universal allowing it, I decided to just skip the Disney parks.

Also, couldn't risk not getting a reservation as the Disney vacations rep I spoke with last night couldn't confirm is Dolphin/Swan guests would have access to tickets and reservations prior to the general public. Unless they cancel my stay at the Dolphin we'll probably still end up doing dinner at DS on one of the nights.
Universal will still have a capacity limit, if you have day tickets I would recommend arriving early. I'll probably take a pass on Universal this weekend but I'm interested to see what the crowds are like and how many are turned away due to capacity constraints.

Angelo721

Forgive me if this has been posted already.

Do you think that Universal opening a month early will get people to shift brand loyalty to Universal from Disney? For instance, a family that goes to Orlando for a week and usually does 4 days at Disney and 2 at Universal will shift to 4 days at Universal and 4 at Disney?

I know several friends down here in Florida that just booked Universal Trips that never go to Universal.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Universal will still have a capacity limit, if you have day tickets I would recommend arriving early. I'll probably take a pass on Universal this weekend but I'm interested to see what the crowds are like and how many are turned away due to capacity constraints.
I’ve some friends currently doing the TM preview. Their pictures are haunting.

Gearbm95

I was nervous about this but verified over the phone that tickets for each day, if purchased in advance online will be guaranteed entry. She said once a date hits its capacity for tickets sold it will no longer be available online.

celluloid

I’ve some friends currently doing the TM preview. Their pictures are haunting.

They even opened uo to Team Members being allowed to bring one guest with them. But the curfews of the areas and all the uncertainy from TMs that would have visited even from Tampa, who has a very early Curfew changed things a lot. Passmember days will be much busier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom