Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I called and they said my pass is still available through July 15th (funny how they extend seasonal passes into a month you cant use them!)

The lady also told me that there would be a list of attractions for me to see whats open but I haven't found it..

Jrb1979

With Disney cancelling all ADRs and FPs and figuring out the reservation system, it feels like they weren't prepared for opening this soon. They also keep adding to what won't be happening to convince more people to cancel. It really feels like they don't have a plan.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With Disney cancelling all ADRs and FPs and figuring out the reservation system, it feels like they weren't prepared for opening this soon. They also keep adding to what won't be happening to convince more people to cancel. It really feels like they don't have a plan.
I don’t see any way around what they are doing right now. The only way to avoid it would have been to wait until a later time when the capacity limits would be lower. In order to open ASAP they needed to open with masks and lots of social distancing and a lot of large group experiences on hold. Disney created a system with a lot of advance planning and reservations. It’s great for business in normal times it’s just extremely difficult to deal with now in a time of limits on capacity all around. I don’t think they are trying to convince people to cancel I think it’s more of a situation where they are saying this is what the product can be at this time, either take it or leave it. Some people will take it, some won’t. I know a lot of people (me included) who are paying full price for food from a local restaurant. Not talking about curbside at Applebee’s, but take out from a real restaurant. You aren’t getting your full money’s worth on that either. Part of what you get from a meal in a nice restaurant is the restaurant experience itself. People are willing to still pay full price for just the food delivered to their car at the curb. These are trying times and some people will be willing to pay full price for a very watered down experience for a chance to feel somewhat normal.

OrlandoRising

I think that probably the CDC thing combined with the fact that nobody else in the industry has even hinted at doing anything like cleaning between each guest has allowed Disney to skip it and still be OK from a CYA prospective.

Another possibility: Tests found that procedure to be operationally unworkable.

FWIW, when the Orange County task force's suggestions to theme parks included wiping down "all railings and surfaces after every use," the public health experts I interviewed for a May 3 story singled that out as impractical: COVID-19 suggestions for Orlando theme parks leave gaps in guest, employee safety

Last edited:

disneygeek90

I figured that was inferred considering this is a forum and thread about WDW. You know as well as I that many media persons were desperate to make such a connection; if one existed, we would have heard about it by now.

If it was safe in late March, then it is safe today.
A picture I took on February 15. Looking back now, no, it likely wasn’t safe.
F3E60C6F-CF76-4A3A-B28A-D9F840D57232.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A picture I took on February 15. Looking back now, no, it likely wasn’t safe.
View attachment 473985
It’s crazy to think it may be a year or longer until we see a crowd like that again :( That picture highlights why it’s hard to open a theme park in the current situation. I can find dozens of pictures from football and baseball games with similar crowds coming or going. It’s gonna be a while before full blown crowds are back. Long enough that I might actually miss it :)

Disstevefan1

If Disney and Universal do nothing to control the crowds upon reopening, there will be packed parks. In my opinion, there is a lot of pent up demand in Disney and Universal theme park fans.

I will make no moral or scientific judgement about this as it does not matter what I think.

I think we can’t use Disney Springs as an indicator, as it’s just a mall. The Disney and Universal theme park fans WANT to be back in the parks. This will be interesting to watch how well Disney and Universal does to control the crowds and how many people they let in at a time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If Disney and Universal do nothing to control the crowds upon reopening, there will be packed parks. In my opinion, there is a lot of pent up demand in Disney and Universal theme park fans.

I will make no moral or scientific judgement about this as it does not matter what I think.

I think we can’t use Disney Springs as an indicator, as it’s just a mall. The Disney and Universal theme park fans WANT to be back in the parks. This will be interesting to watch how well Disney and Universal does to control the crowds and how many people they let in at a time.
At least to start out Disney will do everything in their power to avoid a crowd like that SW one posted. The last thing they want is bad PR from reopening. and you know people will be looking to snap those pictures and paint that picture. In a few weeks or a month after opening they may let up some. I don’t think Universal cares as much. They are doing more than enough to prevent a lake of the ozarks type story. Nothing they do will make national news unlike WDW.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
At least to start out Disney will do everything in their power to avoid a crowd like that SW one posted. The last thing they want is bad PR from reopening. and you know people will be looking to snap those pictures and paint that picture. In a few weeks or a month after opening they may let up some. I don’t think Universal cares as much. They are doing more than enough to prevent a lake of the ozarks type story. Nothing they do will make national news unlike WDW.
Absolutely. It's always been a course and a blessing for Disney Parks, that people expect so much more from them than from any other amusement park.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Evidence? Reliable posters have indicated that July was always the target.

Ask Martin directly and he'll tell you there were multiple plans. However, Disney pushed for Universal's proposal to be denied because they wanted to hold off. That may have leaked in the press by more... not sure. Disney has wanted to get to the school semester start in order to limit demand as much as possible (and people angry about children in masks).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ask Martin directly and he'll tell you there were multiple plans. However, Disney pushed for Universal's proposal to be denied because they wanted to hold off. That may have leaked in the press by more... not sure. Disney has wanted to get to the school semester start in order to limit demand as much as possible (and people angry about children in masks).
I have no inside information whatsoever. However, this makes perfect sense. They really could have avoided a big part of the issues people have today by just waiting.

RFM57

I love when people ignore my statements and respond with something different. Always confirms that I’m right. Thanks!
Hmm... They responded to just what you said, not what you assumed someone would think you said. So, just as in your last several posts, you confirmed you are, again, wrong. It would help if you would at least make a little effort to understand how the virus works, and thus, how we should respond to it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Evidence? Reliable posters have indicated that July was always the target.
AFAIK mid July was the earliest planned possible time frame.

electric

With Universal promising park entrance for anyone staying on property, does that put pressure on Disney to do the same thing? I would think that anyone that has bought tickets for the park previously should be able to get in. Will Disney honor every ticket sold the same way?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom