Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

disneygeek90

It looks like the NBA won’t have a decision today as originally reported. The board of governors is still meeting today but they are not expecting to vote on the final plan. Right now they are working on how and when family members will be allowed into the bubble. They aren’t going to have guys go months without seeing their families. The thought is that once the initial teams are eliminated and the number of teams reduced they would have family members arrive for the remaining teams.

I still think it’s possible they go off site. There’s no reason they have to all stay at one hotel or stay on Disney property. They will be taking buses or driving to the sports complex anyway thats just as easy from an off-site hotel. They could easily split into 2 or 3 hotels with each being locked down. I think in some capacity people are taking the bubble concept too literally. The biggest concern is keeping players isolated from the public and keep them from having to travel between cities and move from hotel to hotel. There’s nothing saying that the hotel site has to be a Disney resort. Especially now that WDW will be open.
Wouldn't Disney want all that extra resort revenue though? Can't imagine they would want them staying off site.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wouldn't Disney want all that extra resort revenue though? Can't imagine they would want them staying off site.
Disney wants the money from TV advertising first and foremost. They will also get paid well for using wide world of sports Complex. If WDW was staying closed until Sept it made a lot more sense to want to make some money from the hotels. Disney is competing with Vegas for the site. Vegas can offer suites and higher end rooms for the players but Vegas is harder to lock down. Rooms at CSR are only a little over 300 square feet. That’s pretty small for some big dudes who are used to living in large mansions. I imagine the NBA teams want to pay as little as possible since they are already losing ticket revenue but the players run the league and if the union demands better rooms they will look to accommodate them.

Imagineer45

I still think it’s possible they go off site. There’s no reason they have to all stay at one hotel or stay on Disney property. They will be taking buses or driving to the sports complex anyway thats just as easy from an off-site hotel. They could easily split into 2 or 3 hotels with each being locked down. I think in some capacity people are taking the bubble concept too literally. The biggest concern is keeping players isolated from the public and keep them from having to travel between cities and move from hotel to hotel. There’s nothing saying that the hotel site has to be a Disney resort. Especially now that WDW will be open.

Given that air travel looks to be out of the question for WDW visitors in the foreseeable future, I do not think WDW will need most of their resorts for park guests. The NBA would prefer to have everything centralized in one place and adding a third party hotel like Marriott or Hilton would only complicate their operation. Furthermore, Marriott World Center is also the only hotel to even come close in size to Coronado Springs in terms of the number of rooms with about 2000.

Shawn Miller

Given that air travel looks to be out of the question for WDW visitors in the foreseeable future, I do not think WDW will need most of their resorts for park guests. The NBA would prefer to have everything centralized in one place and adding a third party hotel like Marriott or Hilton would only complicate their operation. Furthermore, Marriott World Center is also the only hotel to even come close in size to Coronado Springs in terms of the number of rooms with about 2000.

Really? source? Because I can travel right now by air.

Miss Bella

Why is air travel out of the question?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There’s no reason they need all the people in 1 hotel. There’s 30 NBA teams and each team has already been informed they will be allowed to bring 35 people including players/coaches/staff so that‘s 1,050 people. Add in refs and officiating crew plus some additional league staff and it’s no more than 1,200 people. Media members, broadcast crews and other ancillary people who don’t need direct contact with the players can stay anywhere. If they split 1,200 people into 2 hotels that’s easy to accommodate. There are many choices that have 600+ rooms. They could split East teams at one site, West teams at another. Four Seasons would be one obvious choice for 1 site. About 800 rooms and suites that are larger and nicer than CSR. Not saying they won’t decide to do CSR or another Disney site. Just saying they don’t have to.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Really? source? Because I can travel right now by air.
Why is air travel out of the question?
I don’t see anything that would restrict anyone from air travel. The only exception is the NY/NJ/CT travel ban which is almost certain to be gone by July. That doesn’t prevent air travel it just forces a 14 day quarantine for anyone from those states. Pretty much kills any shot of a Disney trip unless you want to dedicate an extra 14 days on the front end.

The NBA is absolutely looking to eliminate air travel and random hotel stays for teams. That’s why they want a bubble site where all games can be held and all the players stay all in one city.

TiggerDad

There’s no reason they need all the people in 1 hotel. There’s 30 NBA teams and each team has already been informed they will be allowed to bring 35 people including players/coaches/staff so that‘s 1,050 people. Add in refs and officiating crew plus some additional league staff and it’s no more than 1,200 people. Media members, broadcast crews and other ancillary people who don’t need direct contact with the players can stay anywhere. If they split 1,200 people into 2 hotels that’s easy to accommodate. There are many choices that have 600+ rooms. They could split East teams at one site, West teams at another. Four Seasons would be one obvious choice for 1 site. About 800 rooms and suites that are larger and nicer than CSR. Not saying they won’t decide to do CSR or another Disney site. Just saying they don’t have to.
Instead of East/West, they could put the good teams in one hotel and the bad ones in the other, so when they are eliminated from the playoffs they consolidate down to the good hotel.

ImperfectPixie

I suspect one hotel/resort would be better logistically though. Think of the numbers of people in contact with each other - 2 hotels/resorts doubles the number of WDW employees.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Update from the board of governors meeting today:
Looks like the majority of GMs would prefer to go direct to playoffs with a standard 16 team playoff field. If that’s the case that limits the totals to 560 people (35 X 16) so maybe 700 rooms tops. That opens the doors for a lot of hotels around the WDW area. Disney can’t offer any of their deluxe resorts because they all have DVC at them except for YC but that has shared pool facilities with BC and would be hard to secure.

Ravenclaw78

Looks like the majority of GMs would prefer to go direct to playoffs with a standard 16 team playoff field. If that’s the case that limits the totals to 560 people (35 X 16) so maybe 700 rooms tops. That opens the doors for a lot of hotels around the WDW area. Disney can’t offer any of their deluxe resorts because they all have DVC at them except for YC but that has shared pool facilities with BC and would be hard to secure.

I wonder what was the overlap between the 16 GMs that voted for a 16-team playoff field and the 16 teams that will be in the 16-team playoff field?

ElvisMickey

They should put them up on 192 😝. Florida Project, anyone?!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder what was the overlap between the 16 GMs that voted for a 16-team playoff field and the 16 teams that will be in the 16-team playoff field?
Probably 100% the same. Especially the teams that are 7 or 8 seeds and could get knocked out if they finished the regular season. The league does want New Orleans in since Zion is a big draw but outside of that I don’t see a big deal if they go straight to 16.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With regard to families:

Back when we didn't have tests for COVID, people had a 14 day quarantine to make sure they weren't infectious (anymore).

Now that we have tests, why can't families quarantine for three days and take a test? If not positive, they get to see their very tall loved one.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With regard to families:

Back when we didn't have tests for COVID, people had a 14 day quarantine to make sure they weren't infectious (anymore).

Now that we have tests, why can't families quarantine for three days and take a test? If not positive, they get to see their very tall loved one.
The talk was that if anyone left the bubble they would need to be tested before coming back in. That includes players, staff and families. Not sure about hotel staff or workers at wide world of sports.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Derek Jeter's last home game was on ESPN classic the other day. It was like Christmas morning level excitement.
Nice. Phillies fan here, but Jeter was the epitome of class from a throwback era of sports so I think mostly everyone liked him (outside of the Boston metropolitan area;)). I’m watching game 1 of the NBA finals right now. Dr J and the 76ers vs Magic/Kareem and the showtime Lakers. It’s crazy to watch an NBA game that’s at the end of the first quarter and I don’t think anyone even attempted a 3 yet. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom