Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

corsairk09

Most states that are 'reopening' have not followed the recommended two weeks of decline before they move to a next phase. Certainly not Florida. So, FL's Phase 3 will come about even while plateauing. The only thing that will stop a FL Phase 3 is a huge spike. For FL, the two week rule seems to be interpreted as "wait 2 weeks, then move to next phase" while ignoring any other constraint, such as a continuing decline and adequate contact tracing.

View attachment 472883

Florida is still in Phase 1.

Seanual757

Are you assuming that each and every Disney CM is ready, available and willing to return to work at a moment's notice?

Don't forget that there are many College Program CMs as well as International Program CMs that have been let go and would all need to be rehired and retrained. International Program may need new Visas. There are tens of thousands of CMs in this group.

Also, some are suggesting that if the CM is over age 65 that they may not be able to be brought back due to their higher risk.

The many unions have a say in this process too.

Universal had little of these issues.

Thus the reason why if they were informed t return on say 6/1 you are giving them 5 days to return.

Remember Disney unions already have agreed to new safeguards.

If the CM is not ready to return to work per the law they will lose benefits. CM's that cannot return to work because of age or a pre existing condition Disney has plenty of CM's remember capacity limits so you will have extra CM's.

They may open or may not open the international gateway except for the few rides in that area until that area is staffed properly again. When Disney let the International and College program folks go they should have had a plan in place on how to re-open with out them or how to staff those parts of the parks. We are looking at 30% capacity when they open if I recall that is just over 13k guests at a time in the park the other parks are lower if I am not mistaken they have more than enough cast members to handle the crowds.

I am pretty sure CM's are ready to get back to work the longer they are off the less and less likely they could be needed down the road especially if you do not have a Food and Wine festival, and the crowds do not return.

Getachew

Thus the reason why if they were informed t return on say 6/1 you are giving them 5 days to return.

If the CM is not ready to return to work per the law they will lose benefits. CM's that cannot return to work because of age or a pre existing condition Disney has plenty of CM's remember capacity limits so you will have extra CM's.

They may open or may not open the international gateway except for the few rides in that area until that area is staffed properly again. When Disney let the International and College program folks go they should have had a plan in place on how to re-open with out them or how to staff those parts of the parks. We are looking at 30% capacity when they open if I recall that is just over 13k guests at a time in the park the other parks are lower if I am not mistaken they have more than enough cast members to handle the crowds.

I am pretty sure CM's are ready to get back to work the longer they are off the less and less likely they could be needed down the road especially if you do not have a Food and Wine festival, and the crowds do not return.

but its still your opinion that it could all be done real quick.

ImperfectPixie

Don't forget all the vendors that need to be coordinated with, or the employees that work on property but who aren't directly employed by Disney...there's a lot you aren't accounting for.

Seanual757

It’s like construction: People want quality, fast, and cheap. You can only have any two of the three.

Throw in the “Disney Difference” and you likely can only have any one of the three. :)

They are not building a new theme park they are doing common sense training and placing down queue lines and spacing decals. Not sure how they can rush that unless I am missing something. Let me check measure, peel and stick, take a pole and place in in the hole repeat step 1, 2 3, over and over again Job complete the 5th Gate is now open....Geez again you all act like this is rocket science. I must be missing something in my common sence.

ImperfectPixie

it is my opinion it's not a hard concept to get done. They can do all of this in a day for a marathon and take it down, they can do this for Halloween and Christmas and take it down.
That's just decorations and only involves a very specific number of people from specific departments. There's a lot you are missing in your list.

Seanual757

Don't forget all the vendors that need to be coordinated with, or the employees that work on property but who aren't directly employed by Disney...there's a lot you aren't accounting for.

I am as I said if you notified CM's and vendors vendors have 11 days (6/6) to get ready most are waiting for the green light. Again I am saying "If Disney announced a 6/6 opening" they have 11 days to get done, they could run multiple shifts if needed (morning, afternoon, evening) all I am saying is IF Disney wanted to they can get it done. You just need a plan (they should have one already) and execute that plan it can be done.

danitaytay

I've been lurking on this particular thread, but there are currently no scheduled CP arrivals until the beginning of August. All Fall Advantage CP's (including myself) had our programs cancelled with no mention of us being brought back or postponed. So that's at least a couple thousand potential CM's they're down. I believe a decent amount of ICPs were cancelled as well, but there's a group still scheduled to arrive in late June, as well as some culinary program kids.

Seanual757

That's just decorations and only involves a very specific number of people from specific departments. There's a lot you are missing in your list.

correct but you have CM's who put down taped lines, ropes, ect all day long... are they not capable of doing the same now? You have maintenance who can measure out where to put decals peel and stick are they not capable of doing that? They have plenty of idle workers to do the work seems folks are wanting to make excuses as to why the cannot do something how about how they can. People are smart I am pretty sure if they put pants on daily, tie a shoe, get in your car and drive to work they can do this.

Patrick McMullen

Understood - I was referring more to the fact that the many college program and international program CMs are not available at a moments notice.

If Disney opens to limited capacity, all things being equal, fewer Cast would likely be required. The 'extra' Cast Members could be trained and deployed to backfill the College Program and International roles or to implement new anti-viral protocols.

Not to mention all those left unemployed by this lockdown. No element of a WDW re-opening should be hindered by an insufficient labor force.

SoFloMagic

It does look like we may have an expected date for park opening by then. That doesn't mean that the resort hotels will be opened at the same time. Everyone is assuming that they will open at the same time, but that's not required. Universal hasn't announced anything about resorts opening for example, just the parks.
That would also help with capacity. And maybe lower legal/bad press exposure

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom