Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens May 22 2025

Sir_Cliff

You know those movies where the big bully kid gets punched in the mouth?

20240628-223923-3.jpg
I really wish there was less hyperbole around this park.

It is cool to see a new park under construction and this will likely be a very fun park. Let's not kid ourselves, though, about the reaction if that was a construction shot of a new Disney park. We would firstly be grumbling about a high-rise, minimally-themed hotel as the focal point. There would be a lot of jokes about paying to enter other park icons, no doubt. We'd also likely be picking about those large sheet glass windows in the restaurant above the fountains as looking a bit too pedestrian/real world in the same way we were picking apart fonts on signage for Tiana's Bayou Adventure. Though not pictured here, Disney would also never get away with a new park with so many minimally-themed coasters.

Once again, I'm sure this park will be great. Let's not, though, pretend images like the above elevate the art of the theme park above something like Disney's Animal Kingdom.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
People keep avoiding what Uni said about EU opening (and what many posters here said).

They said the goal is to make Universal a week long vacation, peeling away people who make WDW a week long vacation.

Given the rumored ticketing options... it seem the best they can do is 2 days in EU and 4 in IOA/USO.

Will people be happy with 4 days in IOA/USO?

Last edited:

bwr827

People keep avoiding what Uni said about EU opening (and what many posters here said).

They said the goal is to make Universal a week long vacation, peeling away people who make WDW a week long vacation.

Give the rumored ticketing options... it seem the best they can do is 2 days in EU and 4 in IOA/USO.

Yeah, 4 for 2 is not great. I’m sure they’ll have more options by the time I’m visiting in early ‘26.

We’ll be happy to do 2-3 days at Epic and 1-2 days at the other two parks.

Animaniac93-98

I really wish there was less hyperbole around this park.

It is cool to see a new park under construction and this will likely be a very fun park. Let's not kid ourselves, though, about the reaction if that was a construction shot of a new Disney park. We would firstly be grumbling about a high-rise, minimally-themed hotel as the focal point. There would be a lot of jokes about paying to enter other park icons, no doubt. We'd also likely be picking about those large sheet glass windows in the restaurant above the fountains as looking a bit too pedestrian/real world in the same way we were picking apart fonts on signage for Tiana's Bayou Adventure. Though not pictured here, Disney would also never get away with a new park with so many minimally-themed coasters.

Once again, I'm sure this park will be great. Let's not, though, pretend images like the above elevate the art of the theme park above something like Disney's Animal Kingdom.

I expect individual elements and experiences to be as good as anything Disney has done of late.

Hiccups Winged Gliders should have some nice elements and features to it, as should Wolf Man to a lesser extent. Mine Cart Madness is absolutely themed in all aspects.

But for a park that strives to be "immersive" its biggest landmarks (the hotel and main thrill coaster) and their positioning bring the rest of the park down with them. Helios is taller than any in park hotel I can think of, and while Contemporary is 15 stories, it was deliberately positioned to only be visible from the land it shared aesthetics with.

These flyover photos also don't do the park any favors. Similar shots of Magic Kingdom spoil the illusion that the park is made up of many more individual buildings than it really is and don't convey what it's like to be there at street level.

Last edited:

BrianLo

These flyover photos also don't do the park any favors. Similar shots of Magic Kingdom spoil the illusion that the park is made up of many more individual buildings than it really is and don't convey what it's like to be there at street level.

Which is a tad interesting, because that is more or less the view from the hotel itself on upper floors.

Animaniac93-98

Which is a tad interesting, because that is more or less the view from the hotel itself on upper floors.

Which makes the placement and height of the hotel all the more bewildering.

Contrast that with how DisneySea looks from Harbor View rooms at the Mira Costa.

Even if you're in a higher floor room at Contemporary facing MK, you're not right up against it.

Think of how the [DLP] Disneyland Hotel's rooms are mostly in wings surrounded by trees. Same with the Grand Californian. Both of which are not 15 stories high either.

Helios could have had similar architecture and features like a roof top bar if it had been build shorter and more spread out.

trr1

Please don’t just post video links, a summary of what was said is polite to facilitate constructive discussion as this is a text based forum.
as you wish I will start a new thread on Epic Universe for videos and Bioreconstruct photos so others may enjoy them and comment sorry to inconvenience you

SplashJacket

as you wish I will start a new thread on Epic Universe for videos and Bioreconstruct photos so others may enjoy them and comment sorry to inconvenience you
I don’t think he meant it as a slight. Bio’s photos are fine because the content itself is the photo contained within the thread, but with a video, the content is contained within the video and disrupts the flow of discussion.

Nothing wrong with posting a video, it’s just more useful to say what makes the video noteworthy/interesting/how it adds to the discussion.

Jon81uk

It’s not inconveniencing me, just doesn’t provide any information. The photos and captions from Bio do as the caption usually explains the context.
I don’t think he meant it as a slight. Bio’s photos are fine because the content itself is the photo contained within the thread, but with a video, the content is contained within the video and disrupts the flow of discussion.

Nothing wrong with posting a video, it’s just more useful to say what makes the video noteworthy/interesting/how it adds to the discussion.
this is what I meant, the video (and it’s title) doesn’t provide any information unless you take the time to watch it. Whereas stating “the video explains that the new ticket options is X” or I think this vlogger has a great update showing the new coaster which is blue not green as I expected” shows your opinion as well as a summery of the vloggers content. A link on its own doesn’t add anything to the discussion on the forum.

sonoma15

Contrast that with how DisneySea looks from Harbor View rooms at the Mira Costa.

Even if you're in a higher floor room at Contemporary facing MK, you're not right up against it.

Think of how the [DLP] Disneyland Hotel's rooms are mostly in wings surrounded by trees. Same with the Grand Californian. Both of which are not 15 stories high either.

Helios could have had similar architecture and features like a roof top bar if it had been build shorter and more spread out.
Helios will have a roof top bar.

Wendy Pleakley

Given the rumored ticketing options... it seem the best they can do is 2 days in EU and 4 in IOA/USO.

Volcano Bay is also a must visit for me when in Orlando.

I feel a 2/2 (IOA&USO/EU) or 3/2 (IOA&USO&VB/EU) would be fine.

A 2/4 split is just forcing people into spending too much time at the older parks, which can each be done in a day, especially if it's not your first time.

WDWFREAK53

How is this really any different than Cabana Bay overlooking Volcano Bay?
I don't think people in the hotel rooms mind seeing rooftops.

My biggest issue with Helios' placement is that it takes away some prime expansion land for the park.
Aesthetically I think it works as a backsplash. Almost as if it's a palace where the Greek Gods live.

Andrew25

My biggest issue with Helios' placement is that it takes away some prime expansion land for the park.
Aesthetically I think it works as a backsplash. Almost as if it's a palace where the Greek Gods live.
While I would have preferred Helios to be placed at the front (kind of like DLP Hotel or MiraCosta), it's not really taking over expansion space. There's the Monsters expansion area, SNW area, Potter expansion area, and the very large expansion area behind Starfall/Ministry that is capable of holding a massive land (could be the largest at Epic if fully utilized).

Epic's attraction count is only ~2 attractions and a show from equaling DHS... it already eclipses DAK.

trr1

It’s not inconveniencing me, just doesn’t provide any information. The photos and captions from Bio do as the caption usually explains the context.

this is what I meant, the video (and it’s title) doesn’t provide any information unless you take the time to watch it. Whereas stating “the video explains that the new ticket options is X” or I think this vlogger has a great update showing the new coaster which is blue not green as I expected” shows your opinion as well as a summery of the vloggers content. A link on its own doesn’t add anything to the discussion on the forum.
should this include theme park stop epic universe update videos? please see post https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...nsion-complex-opens-2025.939736/post-10978842 these are videos about Bioreconstruct photos

trr1

Epic Universe Tickets

At first, those buying tickets through Universal Orlando’s sales partners will only be able to access Epic Universe by purchasing a multi-day Universal Orlando ticket package with a three-day minimum. All of those options will allot ONE day at Epic Universe and will not allow for park hopping to or from Epic Universe. At the time of launch, there will not be an option to purchase a single-day Epic Universe ticket.
Keep in mind that this information could change in the future, so we’ll continue to keep our eyes peeled for more reports. This was the information given specifically to third-party sellers of Universal Orlando tickets, like online theme park ticket websites, so it could also be different than what’s offered directly from Universal.
full article below

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom