Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens May 22 2025

BrianLo

I'm really not sure I get why they'd turn away people willing to pay full day single priced tickets. Are they really that worried it would be so overwhelmingly the choice that they need to force a visit to USF/IOA?

It also ensures Epic attendance will be lower than IOA and USF, which is a bit interesting. Since there are both still clearly going to be day ticketing options for those parks and extended options that includes more of the original two parks.

It will be interesting to watch, but I think this decision will not play the way they think it will. Disney has fallen into this trap of worrying there will be too much interest and looking to put dissuasion measures into play a few times and it has really blown up for them; (Euro Disneyland, SWGE).

Wendy Pleakley

I'm really not sure I get why they'd turn away people willing to pay full day single priced tickets. Are they really that worried it would be so overwhelmingly the choice that they need to force a visit to USF/IOA?

It also ensures Epic attendance will be lower than IOA and USF, which is a bit interesting. Since there are both still clearly going to be day ticketing options for those parks and extended options that includes more of the original two parks.

It will be interesting to watch, but I think this decision will not play the way they think it will. Disney has fallen into this trap of worrying there will be too much interest and looking to put dissuasion measures into play a few times and it has really blown up for them; (Euro Disneyland, SWGE).

DCA was the same as I recall.

When you set super high expectations, you run the risk of not meeting them. Anything less than a rousing success and it's going to be endless YouTube videos touting Universal's arrogant blunder.

There's something to be said for exceeding expectations.

I'm also curious if it can be the overnight success they want. We've heard it before - Islands of Adventure was going to be a Disney killer. It wasn't. Universal continues to grow their customer base but Disney is still THE destination.

It doesn't have to be an instant hit that outdraws Disney. Contributing to Universal as a multi-day vacation destination can be a win.

I think it looks great and I hope it draws crowds if it lives up to expectations, but the approach feels a bit overconfident.

Andrew25

DCA was the same as I recall.

When you set super high expectations, you run the risk of not meeting them. Anything less than a rousing success and it's going to be endless YouTube videos touting Universal's arrogant blunder.

There's something to be said for exceeding expectations.

I'm also curious if it can be the overnight success they want. We've heard it before - Islands of Adventure was going to be a Disney killer. It wasn't. Universal continues to grow their customer base but Disney is still THE destination.

It doesn't have to be an instant hit that outdraws Disney. Contributing to Universal as a multi-day vacation destination can be a win.

I think it looks great and I hope it draws crowds if it lives up to expectations, but the approach feels a bit overconfident.
Definitely overconfident, and worried Universal thinks they can get locals/APs to "sucker up" into buying 1-day tickets.

However, IOA had a botched marketing campaign paired with the 2000 recession and 9/11 the following year. Epic will have a larger Universal fanbase, social media, and the pairing of Nintendo, Monsters and Potter IPs.

WDWFREAK53

I'd imagine this is to get the early purchasers. This will allow them to see how many tickets will be purchased far in advance and then as the days get closer, they'll know if they can open up more tickets.
I don't think they want to be turning people away at the gate leaving people frustrated.

Jon81uk

There aren’t any EPIC AP holders. People who want to visit earlt may have to suck it up.
Yep anyone currently holding an AP only has admission to the current parks. I doubt they will offer an AP including Epic for the first few months at least.

bwr827

I must have missed the announced opening date.

I've read 2025. Maybe summer.

Ticket prices aren't the real issue in trip plannimg
They recently said it will be before summer, expected early. But you’re right, no specific date has been announced.

rd805

Operationally, it is a BRAND new park & they have to iron out kinks. If trying to do all that while the place is mobbed beyond belief shouts for issues. This also ensures the other parks don't see attendance drop, WHILE keeping families in their bubble for a longer guaranteed stay. It makes a ton of sense why they want to do it -- does it suck for those of us that want to spend more than just 1 day at the park? Potentially!

rd805

Has there been any rumored time frame of when they plan to announce the opening date?
I heard September-ish. They still need to do a revel of the HP land, as well as probably the Helios hotel reveal. So i'm sure it'll be pretty quick after that.

Andrew25

Harry Potter's birthday is July 31st, and August is more than likely the target date to give an official opening month at the very least.

It'll be perfect timing for UOR since the summer travel season will be over, possibly commercials during the Olympics, and HHN sales will be mostly done. They also (unlike last year) announced holiday dates earlier this time, so an EU announcement is imminent.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Operationally, it is a BRAND new park & they have to iron out kinks. If trying to do all that while the place is mobbed beyond belief shouts for issues.
But that's Uni's normal modus operandi.

"Look at our 6 hour line to get into the park for the new Potter land!"

"Tho we developed a return time procedure for F&F, which we'll drop when it's not popular, we certainly *won't* use it on Hagrid's which is popular, but, constantly going down. So, check out our 4 hour line which keeps getting dumped and restarted!"

BrianLo

They're not. Additional ticket options will be available early next year

That’s fair, I think the evasiveness of the response led me to be a bit too critical of a read on what they fully meant.

It seems more likely you just won’t be able to access Epic with a discount. It’s going to lead to some real sticker shock, though. Gone are the days of Universal being the deal, you’ll be looking at Disney pricing (despite being short a park) if you want more than a single day at Epic.

maxairmike

Personally, I would say they've already kind of missed the mark by not having even more than a vague "summer of 2025" for the opening date available. I understand they are still absurdly gun-shy even 14 years removed from the opening of Hogsmeade about providing more than the absolute shortest possible timeline for people to move around already planned vacations, but I think it could end up biting them with Epic. While we have an idea of what the specific leaked packages will look like, they're not on sale yet, there's no pricing, and obviously no dates attached. If they don't announce an opening date with the opening/closing ceremonies for the Olympics, we're likely waiting until September. If we're really expecting an early summer opening, that feels a little too tight for the general public in the US and Europe to really plan and purchase those trips for the first few months en masse. I think the demand is there, but they're waiting too long on the details that matter to capitalize on it right out of the gate IMO.

bwr827

Personally, I would say they've already kind of missed the mark by not having even more than a vague "summer of 2025" for the opening date available. I understand they are still absurdly gun-shy even 14 years removed from the opening of Hogsmeade about providing more than the absolute shortest possible timeline for people to move around already planned vacations, but I think it could end up biting them with Epic. While we have an idea of what the specific leaked packages will look like, they're not on sale yet, there's no pricing, and obviously no dates attached. If they don't announce an opening date with the opening/closing ceremonies for the Olympics, we're likely waiting until September. If we're really expecting an early summer opening, that feels a little too tight for the general public in the US and Europe to really plan and purchase those trips for the first few months en masse. I think the demand is there, but they're waiting too long on the details that matter to capitalize on it right out of the gate IMO.
If (hypothetically) they announce in October that they’re opening in April, that’s ~6 months’ notice for the earliest arrivals.

That’s plenty for many, and they probably don’t want all possible visitors in the first couple of months anyway.

Gusey

We're supposed to be find out more about the Wizarding World by the end of this month (Harry's birthday is July 31), so I won't be surprised if we find out an opening date after that announcement

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom