Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens May 22 2025

JT3000

These prices we are seeing are from info sent to travel agents to put together travel packages. They are not aimed at locals or AP holders.

There will be more ticket option info coming out soon.
Well someone seems to disagree.

I think this would be incredibly stupid, personally. There needs to be a single day option for locals, especially if you're not going to add an AP that includes Epic Universe initially. As someone who isn't currently an AP holder, I'm still waiting to see what they do, but I'm straight up not going if I have to pay for a regular ol' multiday ticket like some peon tourist (I kid... but not about the whole not buying a ticket part.)

ToTBellHop

I think this would be incredibly stupid, personally. There needs to be a single day option for locals, especially if you're not going to add an AP that includes Epic Universe initially. As someone who isn't currently an AP holder, I'm still waiting to see what they do, but I'm straight up not going if I have to pay for a regular ol' multiday ticket like some peon tourist (I kid... but not about the whole not buying a ticket part.)
Perhaps it’s just that multi day tix go on sale first to prioritize hotel packages with single day tix available for purchase later once they know availability.

JoeCamel

Perhaps it’s just that multi day tix go on sale first to prioritize hotel packages with single day tix available for purchase later once they know availability.
While I believe you are correct and there will be further options made available I do have a little voice telling me this is the same operator that made a 2 park with hopping almost mandatory to see all of their flagship attraction.
I don't think that is what is happening here it is more like every summer when the HHN tickets are announced without rush of fear or frequent fear being announced at first the fans panic they won't be offered but every year they are.

BTW I fully trust Disneyhead'71 to know what is happening.

SJN1279

I think that many people will bypass Epic until more ticket options become available.

Disney has a chance to take advantage next summer.

Animaniac93-98

Not really sure how many people are only interested in visiting Epic Universe, but not the rest of Universal. Sounds like a demographic that's largely relegated to this forum.

Chances are, if Epic Universe appeals to you, you're already inclined to want to try some of the other park's offerings.

Someone who's only interested in Disney, isn't going to want to visit Universal. Epic or not.

Animaniac93-98

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is often cited as the main reason people are willing to spend a day or two at IOA/USF

That doesn't go away just because Epic opens. It too has A Wizarding World, but it's not THE Wizarding World. The one you see in all the commercials, and the one with the bulk of the attractions and things to do. That'll still drive interest in the existing parks, and if anything, will still make them the ideal choice for those 1-2 day trips.

If reality, that's why Epic Universe has to sell itself. To be the viable 3rd day, or a decent alternative to the established Universal parks. But that's where Nintendo is expected to do the heavy lifting.

Animaniac93-98

Epic Universe's attraction land line up was probably determined by 2018, a year before the official announcement.

Fantastic Beasts 2 was released that November, and How to Train Your Dragon 3 the following February.

Like how Shanghai Disneyland has attractions based on TRON: Legacy and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, the mix gives us a clue as to when decisions were made, and in 2018, I'm sure it made a lot more sense to invest in those properties.

Obviously, Fantastic Beasts 2 underperformed and as a result the series was quickly wrapped up with no box office improvement. Hindsight is 20/20. Dragons has certainly aged better.

BrianLo

Not really sure how many people are only interested in visiting Epic Universe, but not the rest of Universal. Sounds like a demographic that's largely relegated to this forum.

Chances are, if Epic Universe appeals to you, you're already inclined to want to try some of the other park's offerings.

Someone who's only interested in Disney, isn't going to want to visit Universal. Epic or not.

Disney sells tons of single day MK and Epcot tickets.

There is a whole segment of tourists that are in Florida that want to stop in for a day. Not do 3-7 theme parks.

Then there is the other segment of 7 day vacationers who are going to go to Disney and find out they are stuck with a horrifically priced 4 day Disney, 3 day Universal option.

This is clearly being done to shunt people to their other parks, otherwise they wouldn't be engaging in these weird ticket mixes.

BrianLo

I’ll be honest, I would defer my trip if this were the final ticketing option (I highly, highly doubt it is).

I want two full days for Epic to enjoy it more casually.

I’ll even overpay for an extended ticket that I don’t need or a second day ticket (and grumble about it), but will pay for it. I’m looking at 5 days. Locking international visitors to 1/14 seems asinine.

Animaniac93-98

Disney sells tons of single day MK and Epcot tickets.

There is a whole segment of tourists that are in Florida that want to stop in for a day. Not do 3-7 theme parks.

That I know and understand. For many, MK is WDW. It has that level of status. Parents who hate theme parks and Disney will begrudgingly take their kids there out of a sense of duty. Epcot benefits from being seen as the adult park, and (in the past at least) offered after 4pm tickets to locals, convention guests and others.

The existing Wizarding Worlds draw visitors for Universal for a day, simply because it's Harry Potter

I don't see Epic on its own having that kind of pull. It's an incentive to stay longer at Universal IMO.

I don't think anyone who is only doing a single theme park day in Orlando is going to pick Epic.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Then there is the other segment of 7 day vacationers who are going to go to Disney and find out they are stuck with a horrifically priced 4 day Disney, 3 day Universal option.

That is by design. Neither business wants you visiting the other.

Epic is Universal drawing a line in a sand, saying it's us or them. It'll either pay off or blow up in their faces.

MK, realistically, is the only park immune to all of this. It's the Disneyland for anyone on this half of the USA/Canada.

BrianLo

I don't see Epic on its own having that kind of pull. It's an incentive to stay longer at Universal IMO.

Perhaps not long term. For families, there is the Nintendo of it all, as you mentioned. Then the pull of checking out something new for the Disney day-trippers.

It is an incentive to stay longer at Universal for sure... unless they only let you go there one day. Then it's an incentive to stay one extra day, only.

I'm very agreeable to the forced nature of 1 day of Epic on a three day ticket. It's the lack of a one day ticket (why are they opposed to letting people in at full price?) or additional days on longer tickets, that doesn't make much business sense to me. It actually would just ensure Epic has the lowest attendance of the three parks, which would only make sense if they were highly concerned they under built it.

Animaniac93-98

I'm very agreeable to the forced nature of 1 day of Epic on a three day ticket. It's the lack of a one day ticket (why are they opposed to letting people in at full price?) or additional days on longer tickets, that doesn't make much business sense to me.

I'm sure more options will roll out.

I'm not convinced you'll have to buy multi-day tickets just to spend one day at Epic.

JT3000

That I know and understand. For many, MK is WDW. It has that level of status. Parents who hate theme parks and Disney will begrudgingly take their kids there out of a sense of duty. Epcot benefits from being seen as the adult park, and (in the past at least) offered after 4pm tickets to locals, convention guests and others.

The existing Wizarding Worlds draw visitors for Universal for a day, simply because it's Harry Potter

I don't think anyone who is only doing a single theme park day in Orlando is going to pick Epic.
I think you vastly underestimate the appeal of a brand new park. If I were doing a single theme park day in Orlando, I would pick Epic -- because like most other locals, I've already been to the other parks a million times. But even if I were a returning tourist with limited time, I would still choose the new park over any others, and I wouldn't even have to think about it. It doesn't make any business sense to not offer a one-day ticket to just EU.

As an aside, I think anyone who expects the park to be packed to the gills for the entire first year of operation isn't being realistic. I'm sure it'll do better than IOA's opening, but I still predict Universal won't have any reason to go out of their way to limit attendance most days.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom