Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

JT3000

I don’t think the current plan is to really expand the footprint? But that doesn’t mean they can’t flesh it out. It’s the size of Epcot I believe?
It's not nearly that big. According to the image posted by Penguin, it's roughly the same size as Magic Kingdom, and that's only if you count all of EU's expansion pads (but not the hotel.)

Andrew25

Still…magic kingdom ain’t “small”…

Let’s see how it plays?
Never understood the complaint about parks being too small acreage-wise. Disneyland is smaller than MK, yet has double the attractions, runs more entertainment and has about the same attendance, and most fans are in agreement that Disneyland is the better of the two domestic castle parks.

I saw some rumored HTTRD concept art and it looks like a downgraded Toy Story land???
Look at Bio's aerials of the lands, we're actually getting rock work here... something they stripped TSL of during its budget cutting phase.

I do agree, this is a land designed to compete against TSL (not in franchise power, but in attractions/experiences), but so far this one is looking more interesting.

Andrew25

Toy Story Land’s high budget wasn’t cut, they spent the money elsewhere on the land.

Where was that money moved? lol

The land is pretty much the same as it was displayed in the first iteration of the concept art released before cutting the terrain work and Woody/Al's Barn facades.

Unless they underestimated the cost of bamboo, I don't know where else they spent that cash lol

Rich Brownn

It's not nearly that big. According to the image posted by Penguin, it's roughly the same size as Magic Kingdom, and that's only if you count all of EU's expansion pads (but not the hotel.)
Except the "hub" here also has attractions... and the layout makes better use of the area

TalkToEthan

I really hope Train Your Dragon and Werewolf coasters will be noticeably better than Slinky Dash.

I expect big things from Starfall Racers and Donkey Kong but those other two best not be done like that pinch a penny Slinky Dog

JT3000

Never understood the complaint about parks being too small acreage-wise. Disneyland is smaller than MK, yet has double the attractions, runs more entertainment and has about the same attendance, and most fans are in agreement that Disneyland is the better of the two domestic castle parks.
Yes, Disneyland has more attractions, but it's also extremely cramped and feels very busy even when it isn't. That's the trade-off. There's also the matter of attraction size. Disneyland has a lot of relatively small-scale attractions. Universal is focusing on E-tickets and coasters, the latter of which take up a lot of space even when they're of the family variety. You're not getting any Fantasyland dark rides here.

Except the "hub" here also has attractions... and the layout makes better use of the area
The hub has attractions, but one of those attractions isn't actually inside the hub, it's taking up a huge chunk of land off to the side of the hub. Most of the actual hub is dedicated to auxillary venues rather than attractions, some of which have reportedly been axed already.

Magic Kingdom doesn't have the best layout by any means, especially with regards to keeping itself open to expansion, but I'll need to see Epic Universe filled out before we can actually compare the two in any meaningful way.

I really hope Train Your Dragon and Werewolf coasters will be noticeably better than Slinky Dash.

I expect big things from Starfall Racers and Donkey Kong but those other two best not be done like that pinch a penny Slinky Dog
The Wolfman coaster looks to be extremely short, even if it hits the midcourse launch multiple times. It spins, and might have a show scene or two, but I still wouldn't get my hopes up too far. The HTTYD coaster should fall somewhere between Slinky Dog & Hagrid's in scope.

TalkToEthan

The HTTYD coaster should fall somewhere between Slinky Dog & Hagrid's in scope.

That’s getting close to the the gamut of coasters put out by Universsl and Disney. Of course the lowest of the lows is something like a Barnstormer or Nuthouse coaster

That’s a sizable range; Hagrid has a number of folk(I’m one) calling it the most elaborate and complex coaster anywhere and then there are others(I’m one) who find Slinky lackluster.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s getting close to the the gamut of coasters put out by Universsl and Disney. Of course the lowest of the lows is something like a Barnstormer or Nuthouse coaster

That’s a sizable range; Hagrid has a number of folk(I’m one) calling it the most elaborate and complex coaster anywhere and then there are others(I’m one) who find Slinky lackluster.
Hagrids is really good…slinky is rather dull and off the shelf caliber with themed trains

ToTBellHop

I am surprised there are no drenching water rides here (right?). It will be strange to have three theme parks and only one will have true water rides (and three, no less). I guess I’ll have to settle for the HTTYD splash battle ride. Just rode one at Legoland and it was super lame.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am surprised there are no drenching water rides here (right?). It will be strange to have three theme parks and only one will have true water rides (and three, no less).
Follows the industry trend though…water rides really haven’t been constructed since 2000…with the exception of occasional water park proper

ToTBellHop

Follows the industry trend though…water rides really haven’t been constructed since 2000…with the exception of occasional water park proper
At least Disney still builds them. Aren’t three opening in Tokyo next month? And DAK should soon get a third (“Soon” on Disney’s slower-than-continental drift pace).

999th Happy Haunt

At least Disney still builds them. Aren’t three opening in Tokyo next month? And DAK should soon get a third (“Soon” on Disney’s slower-than-continental drift pace).
Are we counting Navi as a water ride? I know you’re in a boat for it but there’s not even one moment where there’s a chance of getting sprinkled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom