Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

maxairmike

Will Donky Kong be single cars with four to a car? Seems the effect hinges on seeing the track ahead and not the heads of others.

Same vehicles as Hollywood and Japan AFAIK, so yeah, 4 per kart. Seeing the other two in your kart doesn't affect anything at all, in my limited experience with the attraction. I'm so excited to have this here in Orlando, it's a killer attraction.

Vegas Disney Fan

Same vehicles as Hollywood and Japan AFAIK, so yeah, 4 per kart. Seeing the other two in your kart doesn't affect anything at all, in my limited experience with the attraction. I'm so excited to have this here in Orlando, it's a killer attraction.
I think it’s going to premiere in Epic, it’s not in Hollywood and I’m fairly sure it‘s not in Japan either, although I’m less confidant on Japan. I’m not a Nintendo fan but this coaster looks amazing enough on its own to get me to visit the land once Epic opens.

(at least the concept is amazing, until it’s done I guess we won’t know really know if it lives up to the expectations but I hope it does)

lazyboy97o

I think it’s going to premiere in Epic, it’s not in Hollywood and I’m fairly sure it‘s not in Japan either, although I’m less confidant on Japan. I’m not a Nintendo fan but this coaster looks amazing enough on its own to get me to visit the land once Epic opens.

(at least the concept is amazing, until it’s done I guess we won’t know really know if it lives up to the expectations but I hope it does)
It’s under construction in Osaka. Orlando is basically getting a clone of the Japanese land, just built all at once instead of being phased.

maxairmike

Oh whoops, I for some reason read that as Mario Kart (I guess I fixated on the K?). This must be a sign I should be going to bed earlier. Also, clearly I am hyper focused on one thing with this park. 😂

Yes, Kong is likely premiering here. Not sure what the vehicle design will end up being. 4-6 seems likely, I think?

TalkToEthan

Seems the effect hinges on seeing the track ahead and not the heads of others.

Agreed,

But I’m fairly sure designers are equally(perhaps even more due to the bulk of the track run will be seen by non riders)concerned with the effect working for onlookers walking around that section of Nintendo. At least spectators will be wowed and riders should be getting some of the effect, too.

Andrew25

yes, I was counting the fountain as the third show.

I’m hoping 2 things from Epic: limit screens and have at least one single earth shaker or game changer.

Time for Universal to change its MO; leave that overused screen/video/projection model for attractions back at the main campus and step up its 3 dimensional sets game for this new park. But already its signature ride for Nintendo Land is headgear. Headgear not good. It costs us real speed and thrills. And I think it’s safe to say whatever anchors the Paris Potter section is destined to use a lot of screens like Gringotts and FJ— even Hagrid couldn’t lay off them.

The only real chance at an earth shaking attraction is the Potter elevator. The Dark Universe ride should have been the one but unfortunately it’s going to be a robot arm ride.
I think Universal has learned their lesson, but some of the attractions like MK we're already in development during their "everything must have screens" phase. Everything else seems to be a retraction of that idea. Potter will still have screens (and honestly is the only way you can do a Potter "action" dark ride realistically), but the sets are going to be huge ala ROTR.

What screens are in Hagrid? The only one the attraction has is in the preshow.

Will Donky Kong be single cars with four to a car? Seems the effect hinges on seeing the track ahead and not the heads of others.
Single car of 4

Agreed,

But I’m fairly sure designers are equally(perhaps even more due to the bulk of the track run will be seen by non riders)concerned with the effect working for onlookers walking around that section of Nintendo. At least spectators will be wowed and riders should be getting some of the effect, too.
Just like every other theme park attraction, there's some level of suspension of disbelief required. That track will be well hidden from off ride views.

TalkToEthan

What screens are in Hagrid? The only one the attraction has is in the preshow.
Correct. That was the one I was thinking about.

Does the room that is very noisy(but a good and welcomed noise), large and is just before the loading area use screens for the motorbikes above the ceiling? I’m not sure how Universal does that one.

sedati

I'm excited for Universal to build a park that isn't a horrid "ring" layout. They've figured out the need for a "Hub" but then dropped the "Ring" in it's place. I think this park could use an outer ring. The portals will no doubt give us great reveals, but the lack of interconnectivity is disappointing. Curious to see how crowd flow works when this finally opens.

sedati

ThemeparkX has visual confirmation from Japan:
Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 2.58.51 PM.png

Single car. Even looks to have tiered seating so the back row has a better view. This is an ideal design and has me more excited for this innovative little coaster.

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
23h
Aerial look at an excavation for water features in Epic Universe.At about center of this photo is curve. A walkway at this curve will divide into two ponds. Walkway similar to at top center.Multisided building is a waterside restaurant. Enter this side, descend to dining level.
1692650944318.png

Aerial look at an excavation for water features in Epic Universe. Scrims recently added to the waterside restaurant, at right. The far end of the excavation is near the park entrance.A curved walkway, similar to the one in foreground, will be midway through this excavation.
1692650967566.png

Aerial look at construction of the in-park hotel in Epic Universe.1 Yellow beams holding platform above, with concrete forms of the scalloped edge of the next floor of the hotel.2,3 Supports for a concrete forms to extend the lobby outward. Porte-cochère likely to be here.
1692651002050.png

Aerial overview of Epic Universe.
1692651046459.png
Aerial overview of Epic Universe.In-park hotel rising a center of this photo. Two more Universal resorts at top right.
1692651080618.png

A straight-down (look at the dome) aerial look at Epic Universe.Composite of 2 photos, and 4000x3000 pixels here.If you want to zoom in further, a full size 6952x4393 version is at https://bioreconstruct.com/epic-overview-2023-aug-18-full.jpg…Practically any use is okay. Except sales or reauthoring.
1692651126385.png

Arrow in this aerial photo at a service tunnel to the underground kitchen of an Epic Universe restaurant. Guests enter this side, above the kitchen. Guests descend inside the restaurant to dining level at waterside.
https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1693375087959773297/photo/1

Arrow in this aerial photo at a service tunnel to the underground kitchen of an Epic Universe restaurant. Guests enter this side, above the kitchen. Guests descend inside the restaurant to dining level at waterside.

[URL='https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1693375087959773297/photo/1']Image[/URL]
Aerial look at landscaping recently added near the dual-racing roller coaster in Epic Universe. There's also work on service roads for the coaster.
1692651235948.png

At top left in this aerial is believed to be a BBQ restaurant in Epic Universe. To the right is the portal of classic monsters land.
1692651264197.png

In this aerial photo of the dome at center of Epic Universe:1 Recently added semicircle. Seems to be for a wall similar to the walkway at 2.3 Believed to be a chain of fountains through a water feature.
1692651299145.png

Attachments

• 1692651171777.png
    1692651171777.png
    796.9 KB · Views: 51

trr1

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
23h
Aerial photo showing temporary supports still in place for the smaller of two domes at center of Epic Universe.
1692651376667.png

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
22h
Replying to
@bioreconstruct
Aug 18, 2023 Aerial look at center of Epic Universe.- Trees added in How To Train Your Dragon land, and classic monsters land.- Stylized roofs in Dragon land- Security/admission structure at park entrance- Mural shaping up at South hotel- Column at Harry Potter land portal
1692651460999.png

This aerial photo seems to show what the view of Epic Universe fountain might before for guests of the in-park hotel.
1692651501754.png

At top right in this aerial photo is a likely BBQ restaurant in Epic Universe. At center is the portal of classic monsters land.
1692651540859.png

Aerial look at an excavation for water features in Epic Universe.At about center of this photo is curve. A walkway at this curve will divide into two ponds. Walkway similar to at top center.Multisided building is a waterside restaurant. Enter this side, descend to dining level.
1692651573187.png

Aerial overview of what is believed to be called Celestial Park. The central corridor of Epic Universe. There are multiple large excavations at center for water features.Park entrance at the columns at left.Super Nintendo World is the land at top of the photo.
1692651633961.png

Aerial look at an excavation for water features in Epic Universe. Scrims recently added to the waterside restaurant, at right. The far end of the excavation is near the park entrance.A curved walkway, similar to the one in foreground, will be midway through this excavation.
1692651680743.png

Aerial overview of some of the center of Epic Universe.It's believed to be a BBQ restaurant in bottom right.At top is believed to be a Nintendo themed cafe and store, top right, outside of Super Nintendo World.
1692651713886.png

Aerial overview of dome and water feature construction at center of Epic Universe. Arrow at a recently added semi circle.
1692651744033.png

Aerial look at construction of the in-park hotel in Epic Universe.1 Yellow beams holding platform above, with concrete forms of the scalloped edge of the next floor of the hotel.2,3 Supports for a concrete forms to extend the lobby outward. Porte-cochère likely to be here.
1692651780094.png

trr1

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct
bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
22h

Aerial look at the center of Epic Universe.1 A recently added semicircle that seems to line up with center viewing of the fountain/fireworks show of the park.2 Seems like the semicircle is for a wall similar to wall here.3 Believed to be a chain of fountain jets in a pond.
1692651860326.png

Aerial look at an excavation for water features in Epic Universe. Arrows where a curved walkway will be, similar to the walkway being built at right.Excavation area at bottom center is near the park entrance.Multisided building, in scrims, is a waterside restaurant.
1692651885423.png

Aerial look into the canyons of scaffolding lining the city blocks of a Harry Potter related land in Epic Universe.
1692651940275.png

Aerial look at one of the most interesting areas of track in the dual-racing coaster in Epic Universe.
1692651968482.png

Aerial overview of the in-park hotel under construction in Epic Universe.
1692652001841.png

Aerial look at a restaurant in Epic Universe. Guests enter above the kitchen, at left. Then descend to dining level at waterside, now under construction.Scrims were recently added around the building.
1692652034618.png

A nearly straight-down aerial look into a courtyard in a Harry Potter related land in Epic Universe. A large restaurant is in the show building at right. An alley connects the street at left with the courtyard.
1692652084008.png

Composite aerial photo of the in-park hotel in Epic Universe.1 To be a cascading water feature in front of a park restaurant.2 Recently cast concrete, with tall rebar.3 Portal of classic monsters land.
1692652119394.png

In this aerial photo of the in-park hotel in Epic Universe:1 Portal to the Harry Potter related land2 Celestial Carousel3 Portal to the classic monsters land4 Curse of the Werewolf roller coaster5 Worker breakroom tent
1692652149462.png

Aerial look at trees recently transplanted near the roller coaster in classic monsters land in Epic Universe. Scaffolding also recently added at the barn over the second launch.Coaster is likely called Curse of the Werewolf.
1692652236375.png

SplashJacket

IMG_5005.jpeg

The scale of epic universe is unfathomable. Photos don’t do it justice, been following the development for months, but flying over it solidifies the craziness of this development.This park is going to change Orlando and theme parks worldwide forever.
IMG_4999.jpeg

Old parks for reference.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The scale of epic universe is unfathomable. Photos don’t do it justice, been following the development for months, but flying over it solidifies the craziness of this development.This park is going to change Orlando and theme parks worldwide forever.
Unfathomable? It's 10 acres bigger than DHS. And almost as big as MK.

And it has the same number of rides as Epcot.

Yes. It will be impactful. And I hope it's successful. And I hope it spurs WDW to do better.

But 'unfathomable'? That's pretty hyperbolic.

sedati

Yes. It will be impactful. And I hope it's successful. And I hope it spurs WDW to do better.

Is that counting the hotel or not? (I wouldn't, which is odd as it's the focal point/weenie for the park)

SplashJacket

Perhaps hyperbolic, but the epic universe expansion isn’t just about epic universe. It’s about the foundation it lays. It’s the whole resort expansion. Just like how the original Florida project wasn’t just about Magic Kingdom, but the potential for everything else which followed.

The EU expansion transforms UO from a decent-sized resort to this absolute behemoth. Outside of WDW, there’s no other theme park complex that’s even close to what Universal is making here, and it’s a reflection of their overall goals.

I’d argue Epcot changed theme parks forever, even if its ride count 40-years later continues to lag, so I wouldn’t regard that comparison as a slander.

It’s not necessarily what’s just happening within EU, but everything beyond those gates as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom