Universal came conquered and will wait another 15 years to go back!!!

WDWFREAK53

Let me put my $.02 in here.

I'm very sorry that Universal didn't live up to the "hype" created by people on this forum.

I grew up on Disney and I'm definitely a Disney fanboi...but even I have to open my eyes and realize that Universal is doing a lot more than Disney is (at the moment). Why? Frankly, Universal NEEDS to. They want to actually compete with the Mouse and they are doing a great job with the additions they are making.

I went to Islands of Adventure back in February with my wife, my 3 year old, and my mother. I was a little apprehensive about a 3 year old at IoA because it seems like a park for older kids. (Mainly because the only other times I had been there, I wasn't with kids and it was for the thrills). My mother HATES the thought of Universal and can't look past the pixie dust on the end of her nose.

Needless to say, my 3 year old had a BLAST there! I was shocked at how we turned a day at a park that I normally would just go for the thrills, into a day at a park that a 3 year old could love. It really made me appreciate Suess Landing.

We left there and even my mother was amazed at how great of a park it was. Now, because of her stubborness and how close her condo is to WDW, she hasn't gone back...but she definitely won't drag her feet if I ask her if she wants to join us again.

WWoHP is amazing but I still like Spider-Man better as an attraction.

Incredible Hulk - amazing coaster
Spider-Man - I have three attractions I always tell people to go on...Spidey, Tower of Terror, and Haunted Mansion.
Forbidden Journey - fantastic attraction and amazing queue
Jurassic Park - one of the best "build-ups" for a flume ride.
Popeye - Best raft ride I've ever been on (Actually wish you didn't get AS soaked as you do)
Suess Landing and WWoHP are two of the best themed lands in any park in Orlando...(Asia, Africa, and Frontierland are close)

dreamscometrue

I personally don't think Disney of today would have taken a chance on such an innovative ride system, we would probably have ended up with a much simpler dark ride of some sort.

WDW1974 said in another thread that Star Wars Land will include an 'E' ticket. Between that and Pandora and the Cars land/Pixar area, I'm really curious to see what ride systems/tecnology will be used. I'm actually really looking forward to riding those cars on the 7DMT too. :)

Last edited:

BryceM

My 4 year old sister also had a very fun time at Universal. She still talks about the One Fish, Two Fish, the "Dr. Seuss Carousel", and Storm Force at Islands of Adventure. And she got to meet Spider-Man. She might be a little girl, but she loves Spidey. He met with her for about 5 minutes and they talked and he showed her how to shoot webs. She was enthralled. Then she spent about an hour in KidZone over at Universal Studios. As much disdain I have for KidZone, I will admit the kids absolutely love it there. Especially the Fivel and Curious George areas. She was also enthralled by the parade and got to meet Dora, which she loves.

She did get scared on The Cat in the Hat at IOA and while watching Shrek 4-D (but less scared) at US. It was a very enjoyable day though. Crowds were low, it was 70 degrees. We park hopped. I think thats what helped make it more enjoyable for her. Much different from our last little Disney excursion, where my mom is still worried she didn't have fun due to my angry stepdad and the intense heat/crowds. But that's not really Disney's fault.

Skip

There is no Central Park near E.T. Adventure. You're thinking of the Garden of Allah Villas, which is a real place in Hollywood. The Garden of Allah Villas in Universal Studios also has a nice quick service location; Cafe La Bamba.

There is a sort of "Central Park" area in Universal Studios, and that is rightfully in New York.

Just a heads up - many (including me) refer to the wooded/park-like area adjacent to the Garden of Allah villas as "Central Park," despite its distance away from New York. This may be in part due to Halloween Horror Nights scare zones taking place there are often referred to as the "Central Park" zones. It's confusing - and I'm actually not sure which "area" (I know the one in NY you're talking about) is internally referred to as CP.

Legacy

WDW1974 said in another thread that Star Wars Land will include an 'E' ticket. Between that and Pandora and the Cars land/Pixar area, I'm really curious to see what ride systems/tecnology will be used. I'm actually really looking forward to riding those cars on the 7DMT too. :)
Carsland/Racers is using the same technology as Test Track... so we now have two attractions using the same technology, 15 years apart, in neighboring themeparks.

*thumbs*

I also think it's funny when people complain about the theming in New York/Hollywood at Universal, especially when they say it's "ugly." It's recreating two old, crowded, warn cities. It's not exactly suppose to be pristine.

mahnamahna101

Harry potter ride. Wicked ride concept really freaking cool. But IMO Disney could have done much better.

How about your list?

You do realize Disney's only plans for Potter was a Midway Mania knockoff? Sorry but in the last 20 years, Disney has been crap. Tower of Terror was the last truly amazing ride they've built. Test Track, Mission - Space, and Rock n' Roller Coaster are all great too but either the theming or the thrills are lacking. Soarin' is the most overhyped ride I've ever been on. Midway Mania was a fun kids ride but nothing to write home about. Everest would be amazing if the Yeti actually worked :D

On the other hand Universal has knocked it out of the park with:

Popeye (best themed and most fun river rapids ride in the US IMHO)
Spidey (stills wows 14 years later - and makes Soarin' and Mission - Space look incredibly dated)
the theming of Jurassic Park
Camp Jurassic (tied with Tom Sawyer Island for most lavish play area)
Forbidden Journey (my jaw dropped the first time I rode it and I'm still amazed by it - can't say that about Disney's latest additions)
Dueling Dragons' queue before Potter took it :p
Hippogriff (best themed kiddie coaster I've ever been on)
the entire Hogsmeade section really!!
all of Lost Continent (the theming is near-perfect except for the carnival games)
all of Seuss Landing (not a single straight line - that's attention to detail!!)
Cat in the Hat (makes Pooh in MK look like a total piece of junk)
Port of Entry (tied with Main Street USA for most perfect entrance to a theme park)
Despicable Me (they actually bothered to give this old simulator theming and a nice entrance facade, but the ride is a lot more timeless and fun than its predecessors)
Transformers (managed to make it different enough from Spidey and build a whole E-ticket in less than a year - Disney takes 3 years at LEAST!!!)
Transformers M&Gs (they supposedly make Disney's look cheesy)
Revenge of the Mummy (best themed indoor coaster I've ever been on... but I haven't done Space Mountain yet so I haven't fully decided yet!)
Disaster! (it makes Disney's Backlot Tour look like baloney and it's a lot of fun to do with first-timers)
Men in Black (makes Buzz and Midway Mania look like chintzy carnival rides - actual AAs and sets, a true storyline, along with a superb queue and preshow will give you the win!)
the whole Springfield area (this is what Disney should have done with ToonTown - I really want to see all of it in person as the pictures just put a smile on my face)
Kang and Kodos (looks a lot better than Triceratop Spin and Aladdin's Magic Carpets lol)
Simpsons Ride (my favorite motion simulator although I loved BTTF a little more due to nostalgia - I always though the 40 person simulator detracted from an intimate ride experience for Star Tours but maybe that's just me)
E.T. Adventure (huge sets, AAs in the 2nd half, and good ol' fashioned 80s cornball lines from the police officer make this a lot better than Peter Pan IMO - cutouts make me think roadside carnival)
Curious George & Fievel (both make all of Disney's play areas except Tom Sawyer Island look hideous)
Horror Makeup Show (the kind of show Disney ought to do with Nightmare Before Christmas)
T2 3D (best 3D show I've ever seen and it's rewatchable due to the live actor aspect - MuppetVision is a extremely close second though!!!)

Plus Comcast's slate looks more impressive over the next few years than a Seven Dwarfs family coaster and a redo of Imagination... unless Disney greenlights Star Wars Land, Cars Land, and Monstropolis for Disney Hollywood Studios and starts work on a new country/pavillion for Epcot, a Tomorrowland revamp and finally starts on Pandora I won't change my mind :cool:

Hogwarts Express and Gringotts are supposed to be mind-boggling game-changers. The Kong ride will be a nice replacement for Disaster. Fear Factor and possibly Beetlejuice are getting new shows. JP is getting a family coaster according to rumors and knowing Universal, it'll be more like Everest than the Seven Dwarfs one :D KidZone is getting gutted for a major redo while T2 3D and ET is rumored for nice upgrades for USF's 25th anniversary. Not to mention Seuss is rumored for a Lorax dark ride, Shrek is supposedly on the chopping block later on, and revamps for Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent are in order... with a slight chance of a Potter 3.0 (flat ride and Great Hall?) to fully round out the Potter experience. And they're making plans for a 3rd gate and a water park.

TDO has forgotten Walt's "Plus it" attitude toward attractions - he was adding 2-5 attractions every year for Disneyland's first 11.5 years and his influence was in the parks all the way to Haunted Mansion's opening since he gave some input to its design. I'm fairly certain he would be prouder of the folks at Universal Creative and would be yelling at the Imagineers for not coming up with Spidey or FJ first! Same goes for HE and Gringotts!

Universal has some downsides (Hulk, Doom, Rockit & Dudley all lack in theming, most of KidZone, lack of rides in LC and JP, Seuss Trolley's inefficiency, etc) but they're working to fix the parks' various problems after previous owners made drastic cutbacks after 9/11 - can't say Disney is doing the same.

Last edited:

mahnamahna101

Dudley is just bad. I did a survey for Universal recently and wrote a paragraph on what I thought of Dudley. I'm sure that won't really do anything, but I did want to express my opinion on it...

Yeah, the sad part is that Dudley had its budget cut so that it could be open Summer 1999 rather than Summer 2000 - its scheduled opening date. So a lot of show elements are missing :( the ride experience itself is fun but theming is needed to put it on the same level as Splash Mountain

dreamscometrue

Carsland/Racers is using the same technology as Test Track... so we now have two attractions using the same technology, 15 years apart, in neighboring themeparks.

I wasn't sure whether or not 'RSR' was still being considered, as the rumor is more and more resources shifting to a Star Wars land. This being the case, I wonder if the area will be Pixar related, but with a Rat dark ride or MI Door coaster instead of RSR. I have no idea, but am curious. (Whatever, all of these will be welcomed by me at DHS :))

misterID

My 4 year old sister also had a very fun time at Universal. She still talks about the One Fish, Two Fish, the "Dr. Seuss Carousel", and Storm Force at Islands of Adventure. And she got to meet Spider-Man. She might be a little girl, but she loves Spidey. He met with her for about 5 minutes and they talked and he showed her how to shoot webs. She was enthralled. Then she spent about an hour in KidZone over at Universal Studios. As much disdain I have for KidZone, I will admit the kids absolutely love it there. Especially the Fivel and Curious George areas. She was also enthralled by the parade and got to meet Dora, which she loves.

She did get scared on The Cat in the Hat at IOA and while watching Shrek 4-D (but less scared) at US. It was a very enjoyable day though. Crowds were low, it was 70 degrees. We park hopped. I think thats what helped make it more enjoyable for her. Much different from our last little Disney excursion, where my mom is still worried she didn't have fun due to my angry stepdad and the intense heat/crowds. But that's not really Disney's fault.

"Cat In The Cat" has always struck me as a little dark and cold. Not saying it's bad by any means, but I wish someone like Tony Baxter could have consulted on it to give it some more life, or light, or heart.

wdwfan22

I love it how when someone states they enjoy the Disney parks over Universal, they are told they went it looking to hate it, or are full of Pixie Dust lol. I have been to Universal many times, and while I do enjoy the parks, I still see the Disney parks as being far superior. Universal has great rides, but I still feel the overall experience is better at Disney, and until a Universal Park surpasses Magic Kingdom/Disneyland attendance they are still second to them.

mickeysbrother

Original Poster
I will agree that recently Universal doesn't seem to care about thematic intrusions. Smaller things like the FJ extended queue being very visible from Jurassic, to larger things, like the entire show building. Even entering Jurassic Park from The Wizarding World is just as bad, as the castle is very visible from just behind the gates. Though I can also understand because The Wizarding World was crammed into a tiny space. These thematic intrusions were almost destined to happen, due to it's location.

Islands of Adventure is still my favorite theme park, and I think it is wonderfully designed and themed, but these "little" things do bother me. What bothers me even more is the dead zone between Marvel and Toon Lagoon. Agh!

While I was in line at potter I was wondering why in the world do I hear Jurassic park music full blast in my ear! Then I realized after in walked across te bridge the rides are literally next to eachother lol

mickeysbrother

Original Poster
Now I want to see Disneyland and compare all 3 because I'm seeing that some rides are kicking te worlds butt! Or are different from the ones in Disney world! Next mission Disneyland.

disney fan 13

I love it how when someone states they enjoy the Disney parks over Universal, they are told they went it looking to hate it, or are full of Pixie Dust lol. I have been to Universal many times, and while I do enjoy the parks, I still see the Disney parks as being far superior. Universal has great rides, but I still feel the overall experience is better at Disney, and until a Universal Park surpasses Magic Kingdom/Disneyland attendance they are still second to them.

In your opinion.

WildcatDen

Spent a day at each of the Universal parks this past Spring. VERY Impressed. Was pleasantly surprised by Universal Studios. Very nice couple of days.

misterID

The main point is that the OP went out of his way to turn this into a WDW is better than UNI thread. He was actually greeted by posts that said they were sorry he didn't enjoy himself. He turned those into a VS. argument.

mickeysbrother

Original Poster
The main point is that the OP went out of his way to turn this into a WDW is better than UNI thread. He was actually greeted by posts that said they were sorry he didn't enjoy himself. He turned those into a VS. argument.

I did???? I did not want to bother arguing about it. Just wanted to make my point across that all the Super hate for the world is just not called for. Yes i agree they have to step it up in some areas. And yes i do see universal going in the right direction. I do give credit where credit is deserved. And i have not made sly remarks to my fellow brothers and sisters on this web site. I do enjoy breaking things down and talking about things. All of you have good points and i have taken it all in. I should have not ranted and i guess should have chose my wording better cause i knew a lot of you would be on me for "dissin" uni lol.....

mickeysbrother

Original Poster
On a side not... Coming out of Terminator Guess what i saw!!!!

A bunch of star wars toys. I was laughing so much. Universal is selling a disney product. Wonder if there is anything else either park is selling for one another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom