Universal announce "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley" to open in 2014

djlaosc

Original Poster
Beautiful concept art.

So what prompted them to announce this before the opening of Transformers - that is what I want to know, instead of announce The Simpsons land.

I would guess that Springfield will either be announced when there is an opening date, or it will just open, and be heavily featured on advertising (get a Krusty Burger, Duff Beer, etc...). Technically, it's a spinner, a restaurant (divided into 4) and a bar, not really something that needs a massive announcement... ;)

SirLink

I would guess that Springfield will either be announced when there is an opening date, or it will just open, and be heavily featured on advertising (get a Krusty Burger, Duff Beer, etc...). Technically, it's a spinner, a restaurant (divided into 4) and a bar, not really something that needs a massive announcement... ;)

But what made them announce it before opening Transformers and throwing it up as a facebook post something which I expected to see of Springfield rather than Diagon Alley. Something feels weird.

djlaosc

Original Poster
But what made them announce it before opening Transformers and throwing it up as a facebook post something which I expected to see of Springfield rather than Diagon Alley. Something feels weird.

Yeah, I agree it's odd to announce before Transformers and on Facebook.

I would have been expecting a stage out in front of Hogwarts, or a stage in front of the construction ("behind us, you see...")...

And the only thing they've had to "compete" against in the news recently is Disney's financials. It's not like WDW has announced a new attraction.

ParentsOf4

TRYING to avoid causing an argument about this..but...is that 2014 confirmed for all attractions to be open or just the land? I know potter phase 1 was all open on day 1, but lets see what attractions are officially promised on opening day. Do i think they can do it? Absolutely! They got transformers built in mind boggling speed and it was plopped dead center of the park...where as this is on the outskirts (tho also much larger) and can only mean faster construction. Looking forward to seeing this in person (I admired phase 1..but may be in the minority that got a bit bored of it fast :/)
You're not talking about the modern WDW that can't seem to build anything in less than 4 years. You're talking about Universal.:)

And if you got bored with WWOHP fast, then WDW must absolutely put you to sleep. WDW is essentially the same resort it was 15 years ago. How I miss the old days.:(

Violet

This looks amazing. Just in time for my kids who will just about be old enough to really appreciate a Universal trip next year or so.

As far as staying power, I think HP has amazing staying power for the future. There is a whole generation of kids who grew up with it, then they will grow up and have kids.. and they will read the books with their kids and then take their kids there...Kind of like some other characters out there :)

ParentsOf4

I wondered the same thing. Why announce just before the start of the summer season, risking vacationers putting off plans to visit Universal in 2013? It happened in 2009, why not again in 2013.

Is/was Disney going to make a big announcement (please fix DHS & DAK!) and Universal decided to grab some headlines?

RyenDeckard

I wondered the same thing. Why announce just before the start of the summer season, risking vacationers putting off plans to visit Universal in 2013? It happened in 2009, why not again in 2013.

"Hey kids, remember that Orlando trip we were planning next month? Well harry potter 2 is coming out next year so we're not going anymore until next year!"

ParentsOf4

"Hey kids, remember that Orlando trip we were planning next month? Well harry potter 2 is coming out next year so we're not going anymore until next year!"
No, it's:

"Remember how we were going to head to Universal for a couple of days during our WDW vacation? We'll, we've decided to save it until 2014 when they open an entire new Harry Potter land."

Thrill Seeker

Here's a more expansive timeline dating back to 2011:

Universal
Fall 2011 - Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast closes
Jan 2, 2012 - Jaws Closes
Summer 2012 - Despicable Me Opens, Soundstage 44 Demolished
July 2012ish - Construction on HP2 begins
Fall 2012 - Transformers: The Ride Announced
Early 2013 - Springfield construction begins
May 2013 - HP2 announced, with concept art
June 2013 - Transformers: The Ride opens
Summer 2014 - HP2 opens

Disney

May 2011 - Star Tours 2 opens
September 20, 2011 - Avatarland announced
Summer 2012 - Storybook Circus opens
December 2012 - New Fantasyland minus two parts, Test Track 2.0, Legend of Jack Sparrow open
May 2013 -- still no concept art and no construction -- just a poorly conceived idea that is still needlessly spurting along to save pride.
Summer 2013 - Princess Fairytale Hall opens
Spring 2014 - Seven Dwarves Mine Train opens

Universal opens 1 new land including two new attractions, an additional E-ticket and two family friendly rides (1 in a new miniland) from 2011 - 2014.

Disney opens 2 good, but refreshed older attractions, a new land with only 2 new attractions, a fancy meet and greet and a walkthrough attraction with no sign of the proposed Avatarland.

Universal 1
Disney 0

disneyfan1995

Cannot wait to see this! The Wizarding World is fantastic and I can't wait to see how Diagon Alley will look! Wonder when in 2014 it will open. I don't think I saw a time frame on the press release that I read.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Any ideas on the height limit they are going for on the Gringott's ride? Are they thinking same height as FJ/Mummy/Spider? 48' or is this more of a big coaster in the 54 range?

JT3000

Well this is surprising. Not just in the timing, but in the lack of fanfare as well. They announced it on Facebook?

A bit of a slap in the face to Transformers. I can guarantee they'll lose attendance over the timing of this.

Any ideas on the height limit they are going for on the Gringott's ride? Are they thinking same height as FJ/Mummy/Spider? 48' or is this more of a big coaster in the 54 range?

I've heard it's more dark ride than coaster, even though it uses coaster track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom