Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

bullsforthewin

I would say Mummy, Spiderman, FJ and MIB are better than anything Disney has done in the past 10 years. I prefer Everest and TSMM over Simpsons and RRR.

Lol about mummy and mib....mib is not even better than buzz...soarin alone is better than anything universal has ever done with fj barely behind it...I still can't stop laughing about the mummy and mib comment

TasiaJ

The problem with Disney now is they spend their money stupidly. With the Fantasyland expansion for example; fantasyland is probably the busiest section of the park. Why spend $600 million when your glaring hole is boys and teenagers? Why not add stuff to appeal to them when they are going to the Universal parks. Harry Potter was a game changer and their response was a 7 dwarfs mine coaster even though I personally will like it but everybody I know started laughing. IoA will take Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studious spot in attendance by 2014. I think Avatar was the most over rated movie ever but I would love to go visit Avatarland because of the scenery but it won't make the big jump in attendance or merchandise sales like Harry Potter did.
Universal Studious needs more kid rides. Woody Woodpecker, Fieval, and Curious George should be replaced. Universal drops the ball in their kids zone because they haven't converted it to anything relevant.
Disney needs help in the boys, teens department and Universal needs help in the kids. They both have dropped the ball because they haven't appealed to their weaknesses.

Lee

Adventurer
Lol about mummy and mib....mib is not even better than buzz...soarin alone is better than anything universal has ever done with fj barely behind it...I still can't stop laughing about the mummy and mib comment

Buzz better than MiB? I'm sorry...you just went off a cliff there...:ROFLOL:

But, as always, it's your opinion (like everyone else's) and you are welcome to it.

Captain Chaos

disney fan 13

Nice find!!!! I don't think Voldemort is going to be included though... Didn't JK say no Voldemort in Wizarding World??? Maybe the kid wizards fight Bellatrix or other Death Eaters... I don't know. I wish Voldemort WOULD make an appearance though...

i am pumped for the gringots ride more then anything else

WDW1974

WOW! This thread is going to end 2011 on a bang, ain't it?

I have been reading/skimming off and on, not sure I can keep up and I would like to enjoy some drinks and entertainment tonight ... so gonna try and comment on things I feel are most important.

But first, two things:

Props to Lightbulb for illuminating things from the technical to the artistic to the political (in the biz). People may not like what he says, but (much like Eddie Sotto -- who I wish would contribute to other threads like this one -- geez Eddie, you're gonna get a book outta your thread, relax!:ROFLOL:) he has been in the design meetings, the work trenches and around and back. You may not like what he says, again, but he has no agendas in saying it.

Second, very amusing how Niles drops those ever so secret Potter details on 12/31 when all the fannbois are supposed to be a twitter and glued to Twitter over Disney's marketing plans for 2012. I'm sure no one wanted those 'confidential' plans to leak ... just like no one at Disney is allowing certain WDI-FLA projects in blue sky to get out to the fans, either. Yeah, sure I believe all of that! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

With that in mind ... (and wishing everyone here a very MAGICal 2012!) ...

These are strange statements. Can we talk about this a little more.

Spirit laments the fact that WDI no longer has much talent, and that WDI didn't "bring it" for Shanghai, but then goes on to say he is psyched for Shanghai and is impressed by what's coming there.

Please don't misrepresent what I said. For the record, I said and stand behind my belief that WDI doesn't have nearly the talent it did 15 years ago ... AND that it wastes much of the talent it does have, while giving lesser talents major projects on which they invariably overspend, overpromise and underdeliver.

And, yes, I am psyched for Shanghai because I know some of the plans ... and I expect it to be a physically beautiful park, much like all the Asian parks. I am cautious on the small attraction slate that has thus far leaked out.

What does that mean? WDI doesn't need its A-team to wow us? There is a roster of new talent, not old grizzly veterans, with fresh ideas? Outsourcing is doing better than anything WDI can currently do?

I hope I 'splained it above. But, yes, I do think WDI needs its best talents to wow us because most of what has come out at WDW the last decade has been from lesser talents (some projects like EE nonwithstanding) and there is absolutely nothing from that decade that was a real wow or even close.

And I do believe if WDI outsourced to folks out there, they could absolutely deliver better quality product at lower cost to the company. Lightbulb stated that.

Is RSR really worth somewhere between $300-400 million? The priciest attraction in theme park history? I sure hope so ... but my feeling is I'll enjoy it, but won't be blown away in a way I should be for that cost.

If the creative capital at WDI is lacking, than what are we all yelling about on here? We can call for as many "E-tickets" as we want and Burbank can funnel them enough money to feed a small nation, but if WDI "sucks" then it won't matter at all. The attractions will never be good enough. Which means we've all just been howling at the moon.

WDI doesn't suck. But a lot of its alleged 'talent' does. (times like this I miss old Merfie!) But there is plenty of talent there that can deliver high quality product IF they are allowed. You don't pay someone like a Tony Baxter the kind of salary he has been making and basically have him do almost nothing for a decade. That's sheer lunacy (unless, of course, you're afraid of what he might say, do or write when he 'retires') from business and creative perspectives.

WDW1974

ESPN is controlling the news in sports, not just being the outlet. If ESPN reporters or their connections dont break a story, it is slow to reach Sportscenter. Noticeably slow.

Here is an example; Yahoo Sports investigates and breaks a major recruiting violation story out of the University of Miami. It is selacious and sensational. Every sports media outlet jumps all over it, giving Charles Robinson and Yahoo full credit. Hundreds of frontpages go up. Hundreds of stories are written. ESPN decides not to cover the story on Sportscenter until the next day. The story makes the ticker that evening. The next day it wasn't the lead in story on the mothership either, and Yahoo's credit was barely mentioned.

Look at the big names jumping ship right now. Bruce Feldman... Pat Forde...

I'm not saying they aren't a GREAT organization, just that they let agenda dictate coverage. It hurts the integrity of the entire organization.

I wasn't talking about day to day sports news coverage, although living in the Miami area I can tell you ESPN handled the UM story in a proper manner as the YAHOO! investigation had some MAJOR (bigger than the ones on Everest) holes in it. Robinson's reporting was often very shoddy.

You want to see how a MAJOR sports news story is reported/broken correctly take a look at the Penn State sexual abuse scandal and the reporter (can't recall her name, but she is quite young and from SoFLA) who broke it and has been on top of it since.

But that's not really here nor there, let alone on a discussion about Disney.

My point was about how well ESPN is running as a business unit and improving all the time in terms of reach, products and rights. And it is also driving Disney's profits in a way P&R can only dream of.

Now, back to why Dinosaur rocks and Spidey sucks (but would rock tomorrow if Disney made UNI drop it into TPFKaTD-MGMS!)

~I Got The Message, Get Mine!~

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
It is another discussion, but I am not saying that the tech should be ignored in the work place or home or where it belongs.

Theme parks you experience. You could compare them to a concert ... or a fine meal ... or a walk on the beach ... or etc.

There is no need for smartphones in a theme park setting beyond telling your friends at home 'hey, suckers, sorry you are working and its 31 degrees, but I'm in line for TT at EPCOT and then headed to lunch at San Angel Inn -- hope they still serve Tostitos chips and salsa!'

Disney should absolutely not ignore the tech, even in P&R, but it should not be part of the experience for guests. WDI shouldn't be having blue sky sessions saying 'how can we create an adventure in Pirates where people can use their tablets'.

That is just so point blank wrong.

~$28 for pasta in a theme park? Sure, sounds rational to me!~

Why shouldn't tech be part of the experience though? Just because you don't think it should be there doesn't mean that the majority of guests don't want it to have some impact on their experience. Disney, like any other entertainment company in this realm has to always walk on a fine line I believe. They need to offer their unique experiences while also keeping up with what the public is looking for. As Steve said, smartphones and tablets are becoming the way of life whether you like it or not. Disney (and really anyone else) should not ignore what their public wants. Again, I agree with you that experiences should remain as experiences. Getting fancy with an iPhone shouldn't allow them to cheap out on the physical stuff in the park. However, I think that some smart technological advances will make the guest happier in the end.

Because they shouldn't, Evan. You go to theme parks to escape the real world, not to drag it with you. A roller coaster through outer space, a journey thru a Haunted Mansion, a safari through an African preserve, a trip to Neverland, a ride through the history of communication (likely leaving myself open here, although I don't see it), a trip into the world of Star Wars or the Muppets or Winnie The Pooh etc ... they just require you to show up and enjoy. The fact they can somehow be plussed by having a smartphone or tablet is laughable and just dumb. It goes polar opposite of what parks are for. You want to use your phone to check and see when/where your friends are meeting you at EPCOT that night? Fine. That's a legit use. But to try anfd incorporate these devices into attractions is just absurd and it absolutely destroys the mood/setting/theme of any attraction.

Instead of being in a specific place, you are in a Disney Park that is selling the BRAND ... and ... c'mon, you don't see this? You really think an iPad should have a place on Small World ... or PoC ... or ToT ... or ANYTHING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
Exactly.

I am psyched about Shanghai DL. And I'm willing to bet I'm the only here planning on being there on Day 1 (unless I can convince my fellow hater Lee to join me). But no matter how amazing something created for that park may be, it is of no moment to a discussion on WDW's parks being stale.

It's like riding an ancient Delta DC-9 that's almost as old as the Spirit and being told by the flight crew to not about it because the airline has some brand new 777s flying on the other side of the planet.

I mean, I could say since Disney is doing a perfect job running ESPN that therefore they are doing likewise with ABC too (they aren't!)

I'd like to get to Shanghai around opening (make an adventure out of it and visit Hong Kong and maybe even Tokyo at the same time). Although, I hope it isn't like Hong Kong where I am now better off for waiting a few years to get there. We can meet for whatever the special Shanghai Disneyland treat is after the cut the ribbon at the turnstyle.

Well, I am biased (as I've said, I had an HKDL AP last year that I used quite a bit and also visited the park in 2008) but I believe HKDL is already well worth a visit. It just isn't worth a visit from the USA for that sole purpose. To be though, as much as TDR is mindblowing, I can't imagine anyone (except people that are very simple to put it nicely) who would visit Tokyo for the first time in their life only to see its version of Disney parks. HK, Tokyo and Shanghai are world class amazing destinations (that they have -- or will in Shanghai's case -- Disney parks is simply a great bonus!

As to the original point, though, I absolutely plan on being there on opening day. I've been to three Disney opening days (missed DAK by a week, but did get previews ... including a VIP one!:)), but never for a MK-style park and it is a fanboi goal of mine that needs to happen!

~Chinese food and NYE!~

WDW1974

One of the biggest news stories of the year involved a former football coach.

And yes ESPN has been going downhill over the past few years for sure. Obviously trying to create news in many situations.

The first transcended sports and was a news story first and foremost, but good point.

As to ESPN trying to create news, the division has always had a distinct 'we're part of the story' personality (it was quirky and fun for a while, but that ended for me about a decade ago!) ... but I think it's still healthier than what a FOX News does.

~Make it up, they'll believe anything!~

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL
As an example, If Pirates has a smartphone app for the queue, it takes away from the idea that you're in a 19th century caribbean adventure IMO. If its set in current day, its less of an issue.

I get all that, but believe everyone is being a bit of a purist.

The smartphone is here to stay. Guests using them isnt ever going away. Ignoring their use in design because it doesnt fit with the theme just isn't realistic.

Why not try to integrate?

Why?

Because it's giving into the LCD/Walmarting mentality. You don't see UNI doing it because their product doesn't bore their biggest fans to tears. You don't see it being integrated in Anaheim, a few miles from the media/entertainment capital of the world.

I'd love to know how you integrate these toys into attractions ... hey, maybe you can use your iPhone to trigger a hippo on the JC because that wouldn't detract from the experience ... how about using your tablet to interact with the Pirates searching for Captain Jack ... that sure wouldn't put you basically on a boat version of your couch.

Hey, maybe instead of searching for Tom and Becky's paintbrushes on TSI (before they decide to place an E-Ticket thrill ride on it as some at Disney seem desperate to do), you could do a scan in Injun Joe's cave that starts an avalanche effect projection (that Disney would maintain for about 4 days!)

~The Spirit: The Simple Joy of Simply Knowing What You Simply Know!~

disney fan 13

WOW! This thread is going to end 2011 on a bang, ain't it?

I have been reading/skimming off and on, not sure I can keep up and I would like to enjoy some drinks and entertainment tonight ... so gonna try and comment on things I feel are most important.

But first, two things:

Props to Lightbulb for illuminating things from the technical to the artistic to the political (in the biz). People may not like what he says, but (much like Eddie Sotto -- who I wish would contribute to other threads like this one -- geez Eddie, you're gonna get a book outta your thread, relax!:ROFLOL:) he has been in the design meetings, the work trenches and around and back. You may not like what he says, again, but he has no agendas in saying it.

Second, very amusing how Niles drops those ever so secret Potter details on 12/31 when all the fannbois are supposed to be a twitter and glued to Twitter over Disney's marketing plans for 2012. I'm sure no one wanted those 'confidential' plans to leak ... just like no one at Disney is allowing certain WDI-FLA projects in blue sky to get out to the fans, either. Yeah, sure I believe all of that! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
With that in mind ... (and wishing everyone here a very MAGICal 2012!) ...

Please don't misrepresent what I said. For the record, I said and stand behind my belief that WDI doesn't have nearly the talent it did 15 years ago ... AND that it wastes much of the talent it does have, while giving lesser talents major projects on which they invariably overspend, overpromise and underdeliver.

And, yes, I am psyched for Shanghai because I know some of the plans ... and I expect it to be a physically beautiful park, much like all the Asian parks. I am cautious on the small attraction slate that has thus far leaked out.

I hope I 'splained it above. But, yes, I do think WDI needs its best talents to wow us because most of what has come out at WDW the last decade has been from lesser talents (some projects like EE nonwithstanding) and there is absolutely nothing from that decade that was a real wow or even close.

And I do believe if WDI outsourced to folks out there, they could absolutely deliver better quality product at lower cost to the company. Lightbulb stated that.

Is RSR really worth somewhere between $300-400 million? The priciest attraction in theme park history? I sure hope so ... but my feeling is I'll enjoy it, but won't be blown away in a way I should be for that cost.

WDI doesn't suck. But a lot of its alleged 'talent' does. (times like this I miss old Merfie!) But there is plenty of talent there that can deliver high quality product IF they are allowed. You don't pay someone like a Tony Baxter the kind of salary he has been making and basically have him do almost nothing for a decade. That's sheer lunacy (unless, of course, you're afraid of what he might say, do or write when he 'retires') from business and creative perspectives.

Niles don't care, niles don't give a s---! he just reports what he wants

edit: honey badger was the best youtube video of the year

WDW1974

I think the point that the Spiderman crowd is making is that Disney stopped with Indy stateside and with DisneySea internationally. Nothing since DisneySea has come close to the Spiderman experience from Disney in the past ten years. Now Universal is uping the ante with FJ and the next Potter expansion. Where's Disney's anwer stateside to this? Cars maybe. At least there is significant investment in Carsland but we'll have to see if the money has been spent wisely or, like so many of the Disney projects in the past ten years, wasted on corporate BS. I promise you if I (or several others in the industry) had $300 million to design and build a ride it would far surpass anything to date in terms of innovation, experience, themeing and guest satisfaction.

I see nothing stateside that comes close to what UNI is doing (and has been) and what Disney has done and is doing abroad.

Carsland and RSR (indeed, most of the DCA makeover) would come closest. But I think RSR is likely to -- at best -- equal the bar, not raise it. I can't see it outdoing JTTCoTE for instance, which is what it by all rights should do since it'll be a dozen years almost since the latter opened.

~Yep, The Spirit is watching~

WDW1974

Whylightbulb...you're my hero!:king:

(Kidding....but...not really...)

:lol:

You had better be kidding.

I thought I was your hero, your idol, your unquestioned :king:

Bad things could happen if you start worshipping false prophets or ex-Imagineers!:drevil::fork::D

~Hey, I got an idea ... ~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom