Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

bullsforthewin

for one i do not know where that statement came from.

but on the audience... it is not just 20 somethings but the teenage crowd. for example everyone at my school goes to HHN (including me ) and we all love it so they get a lot out of us too

I love it too but to think that MNSSHP should be cut since UNI has HHN is not smart....they are two different beasts and both have their place. In my opinion the Boo to You parade is one of the best with the Headless Horsemen opening to the grave diggers with the shovels creating the sparks.

disney fan 13

I love it too but to think that MNSSHP should be cut since UNI has HHN is not smart....they are two different beasts and both have their place. In my opinion the Boo to You parade is one of the best with the Headless Horsemen opening to the grave diggers with the shovels creating the sparks.

unless i missed something no one said to cut it.

whylightbulb

I promise you if I (or several others in the industry) had $300 million to design and build a ride it would far surpass anything to date in terms of innovation, experience, themeing and guest satisfaction.

So, tell us, what would the ride be???[/QUOTE]I have literally hundreds of ideas, just like I'm sure you and so many others do. It is not having a good idea that makes a successfull attraction. You could start with a terrible idea and if the execution is good the idea can turn into an amazing attraction. Likewise you can have an excellent idea and because of bureaucracy and corporate politics it can turn into garbage. What makes a good attraction is the proper balance of creativity (both artistic and technical), execution and budget.

For example, the redo of Journey Into Imagination started out as a great idea in my opinion. I would have prefered that they left the old ride concept alone and refurbished it but that is beside the point. The new idea could have stood on its own if it had been executed properly. Well as most would agree it turned into a disaster! In this case the budget alloted would have been okay for most other organizations other than Disney. But because Disney needs a fair amount more to run each project and support its massive and bloated management structure too much of that budget went into things other than the show. So that, among many other reasons, caused JII to come off as one of the worst attractions in Disney history. It started out as a good idea but turned out bad.

An often forgotten attraction that was alloted a miniscule budget and an unbelievably tight deadline was Cranium Command. Really it was a bad idea from the start because of its budget and deadline. Even the concept and how they were going to pull it off was a bad idea because the subject of the brain is so complex and could come off as boring to most guests. At least that was the sentiment of many at WDI at the time. Yet, in my opinion, CC was one of the best executed and most entertaining shows Disney had ever produced. I'm not saying it was a major blockbuster E-ticket but I'm saying it was better than what it was intended to be and certainly exceeded expectations. They did so much with so little and it worked. It was always the biggest surprise for guests because they didn't expect much. I know one reason was because of the producer who, as far as I know, doesn't work with WDI anymore and it's a shame. From what I've seen he was the one guy that made that project work. He is one of the people I'm referring to when I say give us $300 Million.

So my point is I could spout off plenty of ideas that would excite many. What I was mainly pointing out in my statement regarding the $300 Million was that the current WDI regime along with upper management, as a whole, have not been utilizing their resources effectively and efficiently.

Captain Chaos

for one i do not know where that statement came from.

but on the audience... it is not just 20 somethings but the teenage crowd. for example everyone at my school goes to HHN (including me ) and we all love it, so they get a lot out of our audience too. plus everyone at my school (i'm in high school but people felt the same way in middle school) thinks disney is for little kids so if disney did have something like this ( for the studios for example ) it would draw in a decent crowd

HHN was full of teenagers the night I went, and that was a night during the week when they would have had school the next day... There were plenty of adults, not just 20 something, I'm talking people in their 30's (which I am) and even older... There are plenty of adults who prefer a good Halloween scare instead of a child-like Halloween celebration that Disney offers... And HHN satisfies that demographic (though I felt HHN wasn't scary enough)...

There is nothing wrong with Disney putting on a family oriented Halloween celebration... They cater to a certain demographic and it works for them... I've done the Halloween Party at MK numerous times... And I felt nothing changed... It was same old MNSSHP so this year, I decided not to do it... Of course, they would go ahead and change the villains show, but whatever LOL... I made a choice and decision on what I felt I would enjoy the most... And I felt I would have enjoyed HHN since I felt MNSSHP has become stale... But when you see it a few years in a row, I guess that is expected...

disney fan 13

HHN was full of teenagers the night I went, and that was a night during the week when they would have had school the next day... There were plenty of adults, not just 20 something, I'm talking people in their 30's (which I am) and even older... There are plenty of adults who prefer a good Halloween scare instead of a child-like Halloween celebration that Disney offers... And HHN satisfies that demographic (though I felt HHN wasn't scary enough)...

There is nothing wrong with Disney putting on a family oriented Halloween celebration... They cater to a certain demographic and it works for them... I've done the Halloween Party at MK numerous times... And I felt nothing changed... It was same old MNSSHP so this year, I decided not to do it... Of course, they would go ahead and change the villains show, but whatever LOL... I made a choice and decision on what I felt I would enjoy the most... And I felt I would have enjoyed HHN since I felt MNSSHP has become stale... But when you see it a few years in a row, I guess that is expected...

trust me it's better then the crap they put out at the south Florida fairgrounds

Captain Chaos

trust me it's better then the crap they put out at the south Florida fairgrounds

It is better than FrightFest we get at Great Adventure here in NJ... I went to FrightFest for the first time ever this year and left feeling like they missed something... There were two aspects of FrightFest I enjoyed: rollercoasters at night and a Dead Man's Dance Party, which was very entertaining... The haunted trails (no not houses) were fee based despite paying admission into the park and the employees (not sure what Six Flags employees are called) who were dressed as ghouls and goblins, while doing their best to scare guests, weren't scary enough in their version of "SCARE ZONES"....

Halloween 2012 I plan on checking out Jason's Woods in Pennsylvania and going on some ghost tours and maybe even doing my own ghost hunting expedition with some wimpy friends who get scared easily... :)

bullsforthewin

What do they do there? If you want crap you should come up to Chicago and go to Six Flags Great America Fright Fest...it used to be awesome but now they got rid of the blood rapids ride and only have the monsters out at night

disney fan 13

It is better than FrightFest we get at Great Adventure here in NJ... I went to FrightFest for the first time ever this year and left feeling like they missed something... There were two aspects of FrightFest I enjoyed: rollercoasters at night and a Dead Man's Dance Party, which was very entertaining... The haunted trails (no not houses) were fee based despite paying admission into the park and the employees (not sure what Six Flags employees are called) who were dressed as ghouls and goblins, while doing their best to scare guests, weren't scary enough in their version of "SCARE ZONES"....

there are haunted houses over here but they are corny as ----. ''scare zones'' were ok but you go more to hang out then to get scared if you know what i mean.

whylightbulb

Its funny that you attack Disney for those things but i can say the same for Universal...even the fabled Spiderman and FJ...while i love the queue for FJ the execution of the ride boarding then ruins it for me and does not make it as immersive as i would like. Spiderman suffers from what you complain about all the disney rides...great tech that is just in a warehouse...that is something that Universal falls so far behind Disney in...you never really get into the ride since the queue fail so much...besides FJ.

No offense but you are being kinda hypocritical...i still dont understand how you can say that any of those fail since they all do a much better job getting you into the story not counting Imagination
A few pages back I went into a tirade about Universal. Believe me Universal has its share of problems (see my previous post). The difference is that Universal is getting better while Disney is being lazy. Trust me when I say that the new Potter project will raise the bar in terms of show quality and immersion even from Hogsmeade/FJ.

I have my issues with FJ and I have stated them here before. Many of these types of issues are being addressed in the new project. As long as J.K. and Warner stick to their guns you should be quite impressed with what you see.

I don't agree with you regarding Spiderman. At no time during that ride do I sense that I'm in a warehouse (except of course in the warehouse scene LOL).

I don't get into any of the stories from TT, MS or any of the other examples I used. As a comparison, when I'm on the Haunted Mansion or Pirates or Journey to the Center of The Earth I'm taken to another place. On Test Track or Soarin I'm left wanting so much more. Lazy storytelling and lackluster themeing are what comes across. FJ has its issues but nowhere near the extent of those others. Now if you want to talk about terrible Universal projects there's Fear Factor, Rockit, and the new Poseiden. But once again, Universal is getting better and expanding with quality new attractions. Disney is still offering up the same stale rides and shows (the exception being the new Star Tours which could have been better but at least is a little more than passible and better than most of Disney's new attractions from the past ten years).

bullsforthewin

A few pages back I went into a tirade about Universal. Believe me Universal has its share of problems (see my previous post). The difference is that Universal is getting better while Disney is being lazy. Trust me when I say that the new Potter project will raise the bar in terms of show quality and immersion even from Hogsmeade/FJ.

I have my issues with FJ and I have stated them here before. Many of these types of issues are being addressed in the new project. As long as J.K. and Warner stick to their guns you should be quite impressed with what you see.

I don't agree with you regarding Spiderman. At no time during that ride do I sense that I'm in a warehouse (except of course in the warehouse scene LOL).

I don't get into any of the stories from TT, MS or any of the other examples I used. As a comparison, when I'm on the Haunted Mansion or Pirates or Journey to the Center of The Earth I'm taken to another place. On Test Track or Soarin I'm left wanting so much more. Lazy storytelling and lackluster themeing are what comes across. FJ has its issues but nowhere near the extent of those others. Now if you want to talk about terrible Universal projects there's Fear Factor, Rockit, and the new Poseiden. But once again, Universal is getting better and expanding with quality new attractions. Disney is still offering up the same stale rides and shows (the exception being the new Star Tours which could have been better but at least is a little more than passible and better than most of Disney's new attractions from the past ten years).

See for me the whole Daily Bugle queue fails...i dont feel like im there at all...but again that is my Opinion just i like do like the story and the immersion you get with TT because it does feel like you are at a vehicle testing site(i was at the Hummer Test plant and it had near to the same feeling), you feel they are lazy but i dont...i mean you want lazy look at Mummy or Simpsons or Dragon Challenge

disney fan 13

See for me the whole Daily Bugle queue fails...i dont feel like im there at all...but again that is my Opinion just i like do like the story and the immersion you get with TT because it does feel like you are at a vehicle testing site(i was at the Hummer Test plant and it had near to the same feeling), you feel they are lazy but i dont...i mean you want lazy look at Mummy or Simpsons or Dragon Challenge

how is mummy lazy?

besides the end video

Captain Chaos

I can't wait to hear about the new Potter attraction... If it is going to be better than FJ, which I think is amazing, then WOW... I know you are not at liberty to say, but the consensus is Gringott's Bank roller coaster/dark ride hybrid... Just wondering if any kind of 3D/Screen technology will be used...

Now, my question, and anyone can answer: If this is in fact the ride that will be part of the new Potter expansion, and in reality it makes the most sense, would an animatronic dragon be part of the ride experience, and if so, do you feel it would be redundant since FJ also has a dragon AA in it??

Oops, forgot to add in my opinion.. No, I don't think it would.. the dragon AA in FJ really doesn't push the story along and is there as more of a road block in your flight with Harry... In Gringott's Bank, i think the dragon from Deathly Hallows Part 2 would be more of a part of the story and ride experience rather than just there for "fright"...

bullsforthewin

I heard awhile back about Disney filing for patents on two new ride systems i wonder if anyone heard about that or if that will be part of Avatarland or Shanghai Disney.

TarzanRocked99-

lazy in the sense that it does not get you into the story...i could say the same about TT, how can anyone find that lazy....

The Mummy has a very immersive ride experience and storyline starting from the que up through the end of the ride when they blow it with the stupid video of Brandon Frasier. Of course I don't mind TT either, but I much prefer WOM.

disney fan 13

If you think that mummy and rip ride rockit and Simpsons are better than soarin, tsm, star tours 2.0, Everest, etc. then I don't know what to say

Mummy beats Soarin, TSM, Everest
Star Tours beats Rip Ride Rockit and Simpsons ( i am biased since i love star wars)
Everest beats Rip Ride Rockit
Simpsons beats Soarin
FJ beats all

that is my opinion

TarzanRocked99-

If you think that mummy and rip ride rockit and Simpsons are better than soarin, tsm, star tours 2.0, Everest, etc. then I don't know what to say

I would say Mummy, Spiderman, FJ and MIB are better than anything Disney has done in the past 10 years. I prefer Everest and TSMM over Simpsons and RRR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom