Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

whylightbulb

I don't post much but man AEfx has something against Disney. It's ok to say things have been stagnant lately, but to say Universal is kicking Disney's butt, no. I got to both parks when I go to Orlando. I love Harry Potter, but that doesn't make up for everything else at the park. Really, Storm Teacups? That's super innovative. Dr Doom fall, T2, Jimmy Neutron, and Shrek? Come on, I would prefer those rides over my local six flags, but at least be a little honest when making points. And so what if Universal is kicking Disney's butt, doesn't it make you the ultimate winner as a consumer? I bet your life is stressful.
I agree with AEfx regarding Universal's dominance in recent ride innovation. Certainly once the current slate of expansion is complete Universal will have gained significant impetus in the Central Florida theme park industry and will claim more market share away from Disney. Sorry but a subpar Mermaid dark ride and a new Dumbo will not be able to compete very well.

Scuttle

LOL I'm sure this is a joke right? EE is fun but I wouldn't even put it in the top ten Central Florida attractions.

Not in the top ten? That's a bold statement. Even in the current condition Everest is in now I'll take it over nearly every other attraction in central Florida. The only rides I would put ahead of it are FJ and Tower. Maybe Spiderman, but I rode it recently and it's starting to show it's age.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Not in the top ten? That's a bold statement. Even in the current condition Everest is in now I'll take it over nearly every other attraction in central Florida. The only rides I would put ahead of it are FJ and Tower. Maybe Spiderman, but I rode it recently and it's starting to show it's age.

Spiderman is getting an overhaul by next Summer, so it should look much fresher (much better CGI) and some other improvements.

Its interesting about Everest...I think besides the Yeti problems it is a really good ride, and the fact that the whole area is themed to an expedition truly makes it good. The only decent thing that's happened to AK since it opened IMO

whylightbulb

To me EE is just a nice family coaster with two show elements even when the Yeti works. To me it is a step back from Big Thunder which has many more show elements. After all, what separates a coaster from being a Disney attraction vs. just a nice coaster? The queue is okay and full of props but after that it's just a nice coaster.

My top ten Orlando attractions would be, in no particular order: Spiderman, Tough to Be A Bug, TOT, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, FJ, MIB, Star Tours, MuppetVision. I'm not referring to the current technical condition but the experience as intended.

jt04

To me EE is just a nice family coaster with two show elements even when the Yeti works. To me it is a step back from Big Thunder which has many more show elements. After all, what separates a coaster from being a Disney attraction vs. just a nice coaster? The queue is okay and full of props but after that it's just a nice coaster.

My top ten Orlando attractions would be, in no particular order: Spiderman, Tough to Be A Bug, TOT, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, FJ, MIB, Star Tours, MuppetVision. I'm not referring to the current technical condition but the experience as intended.

Nice list. I'd go with American Adventure, Soarin, Mission Space, HM, Splash, Star Tours, Mummy, Spiderman, ToT and FJ.

BTW, exceptionally brilliany idea of an elevated connection between the two potter halves. Mind boggling possibilities with that.

Please build this Uni!

DonaldDoleWhip

But you aren't going from one park to another, you are going a shopping area into a park.
Same thing - you need a ticket to ride the monorail if you're boarding in DTD. Likewise, you'll need a Universal 'park hopper' ticket to ride the Hogwarts Express. Same logistical problem, same logistical solution. Not a big deal, IMO. If anything it makes sense that you'll need to use a ticket to access the train.

For the record, I'm not a Universal fan, and I haven't been there in about 13 years. But I have to give them credit for what they've accomplished (and their ambitious plans for further developing an immersive Harry Potter area). The better Universal pulls this off, (hopefully) the more Disney will have to do in response if Universal starts to make a bigger splash. Then everyone wins, including the consumer (prices are going to rise no matter what - why not hope for better attractions and more compelling reasons to visit both resorts?).

SyracuseOrange

Is this really going to be that big of a logistical problem? I cant comment from experience on the DTD monorail boarding from DTD, but it doesn't seem like it would take that long to scan tickets.

Same thing being said, doesn't seem like it would take that long to scan tickets for guests to ride the Hogwarts Express. And if it's themed really well, I don't think guests will mind waiting in a line to go from park to park, in order to make up for waiting in line.

Someone, please explain the logistical issue.

c-one

You had me except for Tough to Be a Bug. Seriously? I've found that the worst of all 3D films at Florida parks for a number of reasons.

c-one

Is this really going to be that big of a logistical problem? I cant comment from experience on the DTD monorail boarding from DTD, but it doesn't seem like it would take that long to scan tickets.

Same thing being said, doesn't seem like it would take that long to scan tickets for guests to ride the Hogwarts Express. And if it's themed really well, I don't think guests will mind waiting in a line to go from park to park, in order to make up for waiting in line.

I don't see it as being a problem if there's no entrance plaza they need to build. Throughput on the ride will be small enough that ticket-scanning processes will go quickly. It's not like it's an entire new gate. It'll likely have fewer people going through than Epcot's International Gateway if I'm figuring it right.

RSoxNo1

^ Despite Universal's success with Potter, Disney still boasts the number one experience in Central Florida: Expedition Everest.

No way can I agree with that.
I like Everesst. It looks good, tells a good story, and is a fun coaster.
But with so many effects broken or just turned off...nah. Forbidden Journey kicks it's butt.

This is largely subjective, but I agree that Everest isn't on par with Spiderman or Forbidden Journey. I think in terms of scope and scale, the only things Disney has that can compete with those two at this time are Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror and Kilimanjaro Safaris.

We've been running a poll over on our site for the top 100 attractions in Orlando. Given the nature or our site there is an obvious slant towards Disney World, but here are the results so far:
1. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - Islands of Adventure
2. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - Hollywood Studios
3. The Haunted Mansion - Magic Kingdom
4. Splash Mountain - Magic Kingdom
5. Expedition Everest - Animal Kingdom
6. Soarin' - Epcot
7. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman - Islands of Adventure
8. Test Track - Epcot
9. Kilimanjaro Safaris - Animal Kingdom
10. Space Mountain - Magic Kingdom
11. Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios
12. Pirates of the Caribbean - Magic Kingdom
13. Toy Story Mania - Hollywood Studios
14. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - Hollywood Studios
15. Spaceship Earth - Epcot
16. Star Tours - Hollywood Studios
17. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Magic Kingdom
18. Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover - Magic Kingdom
19. IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth - Epcot
20. Kraken - Sea World
21. Muppet*Vision 3-D - Hollywood Studios
22. DINOSAUR - Animal Kingdom
23. Mickey's PhilharMagic - Magic Kingdom
24. Jungle Cruise - Magic Kingdom
25. Festival of the Lion King - Animal Kingdom
26. The Great Movie Ride - Hollywood Studios
27. Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges - Islands of Adventure
28. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios
29. Fantasmic! - Hollywood Studios
30. Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress - Magic Kingdom
31. Manta - Sea World
32. MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack - Universal Studios
33. Disaster! - Universal Studios
34. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - Magic Kingdom
35. The Simpsons Ride - Universal Studios
36. Journey to Atlantis - Sea World
37. Wishes Nighttime Spectacular - Magic Kingdom
38. Kali River Rapids - Animal Kingdom
39. Jurassic Park River Adventure - Islands of Adventure
40. Mission: SPACE - Epcot
41. Pangani Forest Exploration Trail - Animal Kingdom
42. Peter Pan's Flight - Magic Kingdom
43. Turtle Talk with Crush - Epcot

AEfx

Really? Tower has a LOT of wow factor to me I'm suprised you don't think it does. I love Splash I'm by no means Splash for the record.

I love a lot about ToT, don't get me wrong. I love seeing from far away, I love the detail outside, I love the detail inside. It's great.

My lack of "WOW!" though comes from the fact that it had been around a few years before I rode it. Because of all I heard, I really was expecting something more like Splash Mountain - where the drop was at the end of a longer ride that built up to it. Whereas there is a brief show on the way up, a brief show at the top, then drop. So it was largely my own expectations - I love dark rides, they are my primary reason for visiting WDW, and I simply thought there would be more of it.

Everest is similar. If there were a show scene or two inside the mountain I'd be much less critical of it.

I don't post much but man AEfx has something against Disney. It's ok to say things have been stagnant lately, but to say Universal is kicking Disney's butt, no. I got to both parks when I go to Orlando. I love Harry Potter, but that doesn't make up for everything else at the park. Really, Storm Teacups? That's super innovative. Dr Doom fall, T2, Jimmy Neutron, and Shrek? Come on, I would prefer those rides over my local six flags, but at least be a little honest when making points. And so what if Universal is kicking Disney's butt, doesn't it make you the ultimate winner as a consumer? I bet your life is stressful.

Well, welcome occasional poster. And thank you for the insightful judgements on my experiences, integrity, and my life in general.

:hammer:

As others have pointed out, one does not need to "have something against Disney" to realize that when you compare, one for one, attraction to attraction, when it comes to the big stuff Universal has blown Disney out of the water since Spiderman opened.

Those attractions you list are minor. In fact, I haven't been on several of them - though I'd disagree, T2 is an amazing stage show, far better to me than, say, the Nemo show. And I have no particular affection to the Terminator franchise (I think the only one I have seen fully was T2 itself). But it's an action packed show with some really innovative effects, whereas Nemo is more a cheap copy of the Lion King broadway show.

But we aren't talking about the parks in general. I love WDW, or I wouldn't be an AP that lives over a thousand miles away. We are talking about in terms of the big new rides they have debuted. It's not just about technology, but application.

Truth be told, Disney would not DARE to build a ride like FJ. First they simply don't spend that kind of money anymore on ride sets, they would rather go fully with video whenever possible (or even on shows - like Monsters Inc Laff Floor? Inexcusable they are video screens and not animatronics). Second, they simply won't push that envelope - I've been fascinated with dark rides since I was a child, and I've always wondered what it would be like should someone actually exploit some of the exciting potential, as opposed to just viewing stuff from afar. Stuff gets in your face on FJ, it's actually scary - the closest Disney comes is Dinosaur (which is one of my all time favorite rides, in spite of the feelings some express that it is inferior).

Disney has rested on it's laurels since the 90's. The one really big thing they build, Everest, is an utter failure. While some disagree with me that the design itself was a problem (putting the Yeti where they did in the first place, where he should have been in the main chamber, etc.) but even those that disagree will mostly admit that yes, because of whatever failure (design, construction, etc.) the main selling point, the Yeti, does not work, yes, it's a tragic waste.

Instead, we get video screen attractions (MI:LF,Soarin', TSM), a billion dollars on "NEXT GEN" which seems to amount to a new way for them to get marketing data, and some junk thrown in queues so families don't have to face time together without distractions in line. The living character thing is cool - but it certainly isn't worth the billion.

They sort of get it over in CA. They are dumping loads of money into DCA and I can't wait to go back. But largely, when I go to WDW, I make the rounds of Pirates, HM, Splash, SSE, etc. The stuff I enjoy the most is the stuff back when someone at Disney cared a dang about being #1 - not just in $$, which they still are, but in creating fun, immersive experiences.

I don't think it's all gloom and doom. I'm very excited about TLM (and I think ours will be the best, if only for the exterior, even if the rumors of plusses over the CA version are not true). I'm really psyched about Mine Cars (though I'm going to miss my Snow White terribly!). I just hope Mine Cars has more show scenes than some have been implying lately. Avatar...well, we will have to see. I couldn't care less for the theme (I refuse to call it a franchise, it's not, at least yet), but if great "WOW" attractions come out of it, so be it. I'll be a happy guy.

If they do what Disney always does lately, we will see a Soarin' clone with the screen below you as well as in front, an elaborate meet'n'greet, and some stage show. I'd love to see something amazing, but at this point Disney hasn't really tried to be amazing in a decade in a half. Universal may not build a lot of new stuff, but when they do - generally it's amazing.

Consistently, the top theme park rides in the world are considered Spiderman and FJ. On those lists, you also see PotC, HM - all rides that are older than many of us. Even ToT is nearly 20 years old now. You won't see "Toy Story Mania" anywhere on a "best of" list unless it's "best things to do in MGM for families with kids who can't ride the big rides".

I don't hate Disney - I love them. But it's like loving someone who is wasting away because they have become complacent and just aren't willing to live life anymore. There is only so much you can do until you have to admit the truth - they still are the greatest theme parks in the world, but the greatest attractions are being made elsewhere. And the sad part is, Disney seems just fine with that, as long as people keep paying $35/head for character meals and buying $200 Princess makeovers.

flavious27

It is scanning tickets for a 5 minute train ride. Also it is running a ride that cuts off the backstage from the park and not having it viewed. Uni would need to have the track rise in different parts, which would feel odd to riders when the ride would only be 2000 feet long.

It won't require a two day ticket because you can purchase a one day two park ticket. Also I'm not sure what IOA you are visiting but WWHP does not require anything close to two days. FJ lines average anywhere from 20 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the time of day and season. The other attractions are even less.

It will not cut off anywhere near most of the backstage areas. It will be elevated and will take up very little real estate.

Sorry, meant two park ticket. So if you are only spending a day there, it is going to cost $35 more to experience both parts of potterland.

Most of the reports from people on the boards place wwhp being an all day affair. IOA was a full day park before wwhp, wwhp makes it a two day experience.

I agree with AEfx regarding Universal's dominance in recent ride innovation. Certainly once the current slate of expansion is complete Universal will have gained significant impetus in the Central Florida theme park industry and will claim more market share away from Disney. Sorry but a subpar Mermaid dark ride and a new Dumbo will not be able to compete very well.

FJ is innovative with having a robo arm coaster, but has anything else they done recently anything different than a 3d ride or motion simulator?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The logistical problem I see is when people who want to see all of Harry Potter don't realize they need to buy a two park ticket. Here's the worst case scenario; a family buys a single park ticket, spends some time in WWoHP in IOA then waits an hour in line for the train only to be told they don't have the right ticket see the other half of Harry Potter. If things like this happen a lot it's going to be a customer service nightmare.

NoChesterHester

The logistical problem I see is when people who want to see all of Harry Potter don't realize they need to buy a two park ticket. Here's the worst case scenario; a family buys a single park ticket, spends some time in WWoHP in IOA then waits an hour in line for the train only to be told they don't have the right ticket see the other half of Harry Potter. If things like this happen a lot it's going to be a customer service nightmare.

Executives dont care about such things... that is for frontline cast members to deal with. ;)

whylightbulb

It is scanning tickets for a 5 minute train ride. Also it is running a ride that cuts off the backstage from the park and not having it viewed. Uni would need to have the track rise in different parts, which would feel odd to riders when the ride would only be 2000 feet long.
Riders will not see any of the backstage areas. The track will be elevated at the same height throughout the entire run.

Sorry, meant two park ticket. So if you are only spending a day there, it is going to cost $35 more to experience both parts of potterland.
The more accurate way to state it would be that if you only have one day it will cost you $35 more to experience both parks. You are not paying $35 to gain access to just one new attraction you are paying for entry into a full park.

Look I get it - not everyone will see it that way. There will be some die hard HP fans that will be upset if they have no interest in seeing anything else in the other park. But in principal how is this any different than if I was interested in seeing the MK at Disney and only had an interest in TOT beyond that? Would Disney allow me to use my MK ticket just to see TOT and then leave the Studio park? My guess is that most HP fans won't care about the extra $35 and would gladly pay it to board the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley before purchasing their expensive Butterbeer, robes and wands.

Most of the reports from people on the boards place wwhp being an all day affair. IOA was a full day park before wwhp, wwhp makes it a two day experience.
Assuming we are talking about a busy day when IOA would be open from 9 AM to 10 PM, that means the people that are reporting WWHP being a full day experience are spending 13 hours there! Even a few months after the land opened FJ waits rarely exceeded 2 hours. So let's say we ride FJ (2 hr), Hippogrif (30 min), the two Dragons Challenge coasters (30 min ea), Olivanders (45 min) and spent about 1.5 hours in the other shops and restaurant. That's a total of 6 hours leaving you 7 hours to enjoy other things. That's assuming you do everything, take your time, and that it's a very busy day.

FJ is innovative with having a robo arm coaster, but has anything else they done recently anything different than a 3d ride or motion simulator?
No but I could ask the same about Disney, i.e., Star Tours and TSM. At least Universal is about to start construction on several new attractions that don't fit into those categories alone. They continue to innovate and raise the bar. Disney on the other hand is about to unleash the same old lackluster Mermaid dark ride that DCA has, a small step above a kiddie coaster, and a double spinner ride. Believe me it pains me to say that because it was Disney that inspired me to pursue the career I've been working in since I was 18. I grew up with the Disney that set the standard. Today's Disney, at least with respect to WDW, has mostly become a marketing machine profiting from yesterday's accomplishments and is no longer interested in standards.

RSoxNo1

What the, how did Kraken rate so high above Manta?

Manta is better thematically but I would say Kraken as a roller coaster is ten times better.

For clarification, this was a far from scientific process - it was simply votes cast by our listeners. While I like Kraken better, I would guess this very well could be a function of less people having experienced Manta versus Kraken. People don't visit Sea World as often as the Disney Parks so that certainly needs to be considered.

Alektronic

No but I could ask the same about Disney, i.e., Star Tours and TSM. At least Universal is about to start construction on several new attractions that don't fit into those categories alone. They continue to innovate and raise the bar. Disney on the other hand is about to unleash the same old lackluster Mermaid dark ride that DCA has, a small step above a kiddie coaster, and a double spinner ride. Believe me it pains me to say that because it was Disney that inspired me to pursue the career I've been working in since I was 18. I grew up with the Disney that set the standard. Today's Disney, at least with respect to WDW, has mostly become a marketing machine profiting from yesterday's accomplishments and is no longer interested in standards.

I would have to agree with you there. It is quite disappointing when you talk to WDI Imagineers and other engineers about what they had originally planned or had plans in the works then it gets replaced with a poor substitute or nothing at all. And some talented engineers are now moving over to work for Universal because they have more opportuntities and can be more creative and have more freedom.

In defense of the new Fantasy Forest area, I think it will be a good fit for the area. If your target audience is in the 5 - 10 year old area. It will be a good fit for Fantasyland. I was on the LM ride in DCA, and I was underwhelmed by it, but it will be a good little kid dark ride.

TasiaJ

Riders will not see any of the backstage areas. The track will be elevated at the same height throughout the entire run.

The more accurate way to state it would be that if you only have one day it will cost you $35 more to experience both parks. You are not paying $35 to gain access to just one new attraction you are paying for entry into a full park.

Look I get it - not everyone will see it that way. There will be some die hard HP fans that will be upset if they have no interest in seeing anything else in the other park. But in principal how is this any different than if I was interested in seeing the MK at Disney and only had an interest in TOT beyond that? Would Disney allow me to use my MK ticket just to see TOT and then leave the Studio park? My guess is that most HP fans won't care about the extra $35 and would gladly pay it to board the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley before purchasing their expensive Butterbeer, robes and wands.

Assuming we are talking about a busy day when IOA would be open from 9 AM to 10 PM, that means the people that are reporting WWHP being a full day experience are spending 13 hours there! Even a few months after the land opened FJ waits rarely exceeded 2 hours. So let's say we ride FJ (2 hr), Hippogrif (30 min), the two Dragons Challenge coasters (30 min ea), Olivanders (45 min) and spent about 1.5 hours in the other shops and restaurant. That's a total of 6 hours leaving you 7 hours to enjoy other things. That's assuming you do everything, take your time, and that it's a very busy day.

Exactly everything now is about money. Which is a shame. They are just letting Ak and HS rot. Wait til IoA get the rumored Nintendo license HS is done. What little kid doesn't have a ds that doesn't have a Mario game. All the little ones in the family has one and on the wii nintendo is all they want to play. If US change the Amity to Dreamworks and Jaws to the Madagascar ride like in SIngapore and finally decide to change Fieval, George and Woody to something kids today know I could see Hs taking a bad hit down the attendance list. Especially since the shareholders don't want anymore expansions. Which is a shame because there is endless possibilities to Pixar Place. I commend Universal, they only have 4 or 5 parks compared to Disney's 11 (Shanghai would be 12) but they are spending money. Wasn't it said they are ready paid off the money for the Harry Potter expansion. I hope US does change Amity to Dreamworks because that's all they are missing is kid rides. The only reason my family went to Mk last year because the little ones couldn't get on anything at US, but they've gotten taller so IoA and US it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom