Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Mark my words. What is planned and budgeted for USF / IOA over the next half decade should have TDO an embarrassed shade of purple.

invader

They said the same thing when the IOA / City Walk phases were being planned. But I hope whatever they do have planned is a success. Competition will make everything end up better for us.

TarzanRocked99-

I wouldnt go quite that far to say unstoppable, Disney is far too large compared to Uni to lose in terms of overall revenue. They are however putting a dent in the overall dominance and the expansion will only increase it (in my personal oppinion substantially) With the success of WWOHP the new mantra at Uni is quality is thier best plan of success, they want to forge the oppinion to the general public that if you want the best attractions and theming out there then you go to Universal. That's a tough challange for them but one that I really respect them undertaking. The plan to have everything open prior to Avatar will also show just how much more they have their act together than TDO as well. Simply put this going to be one of the most impressive projects ever built.

Pioneer Hall

US and IOA are definately going to be unstoppable after the next few years.

Well it depends on what you consider to be unstoppable. Like I have said, it will take a lot more than just one franchise to knock Disney from being #1. However, this can certainly take some market share and profitability away when they aren't used to people spending more than a day or so away from their property. Even just cutting two or three days out of your 7+ day visit to Disney will severely affect them.

cbconglom

posted this before but just wanted to get opinions on it

universal possibilities
new lagoon world of color type show
harry potter expansion
wondersea island water park
DM
probably some amazing kidcentric thing to go in place of the old hard rock since UO is criticized for not having enough young kid stuff
transformers?
new hotel(s) on their land to the south

did i miss anything?

I don't get this.
epcot_worldshowcasemap.jpg

If Uni wants to keep the feeling like you are actually visiting the wizarding world, you won't be able to walk ten feet to get from Hogwarts to Diagon Alley. Motto mention the train trip from Kings Cross to Hogwarts is a ride experience a lot of people would like to have.

If Disney had a pirates of the Caribbean theme park, wouldnt it be a lot nicer if tortuga had a body of water between it and port royal, than simply a planter?

FigmentJedi

If Disney had a pirates of the Caribbean theme park, wouldnt it be a lot nicer if tortuga had a body of water between it and port royal, than simply a planter?

Except the Pirates ride isn't set in Port Royal. The village in the attraction is called Isla Tesoro, or Treasure Island in Spanish.

Still a geographical stretch.

Horizonsfan

posted this before but just wanted to get opinions on it

universal possibilities
new lagoon world of color type show
harry potter expansion
wondersea island water park
DM
probably some amazing kidcentric thing to go in place of the old hard rock since UO is criticized for not having enough young kid stuff
transformers?
new hotel(s) on their land to the south

did i miss anything?

If UO beats WDW to the water spectacular I'd find it quite comical and I think it's highly probable this is coming within the next 1-2 yrs.

It's a given that UO would build the water park on that southern property. My question would be which plot and how they would integrate it to the resort's existing amenities (ie surface parking lot? more speedramps? peoplemover?)

DM will be exciting for fans of the movie but its impact will be pretty minimal. I don't look at it as a new attraction but more so as an update to the simulator theater.

Unless they takeover a portion of HRH's parking lot, there's not much they can do within the area where Hard Rock was in the park. (Though it would be nice for UO to have more family/all ages rides)

Two areas I'm surprised haven't been touched nor have I seen any rumors for, are the old "Murder, She Wrote" space (across from Shrek) and IOA's Toon Lagoon.
If half of these things pan out, it's a sure thing UO is 10X better than they were just 5 years ago.

cheezbat

Mark my words. What is planned and budgeted for USF / IOA over the next half decade should have TDO an embarrassed shade of purple.

Any hints? :)

I too really hope all of this pans out....and BIG TIME. I wanna see Universal continue to up the ante...and see if Disney will finally get off their tooshes and get back into the game.

dxwwf3

I think all of us are REALLY hoping that Universal follows through with all of this promise and are able to do something we've never seen before. Not only is it good for us as visitors, but Disney needs a big wake up call.

koryadams

I have only been to Universal once in 2001, and I won't again until I'm in Florida for at least 2 weeks. I would rather spend a whole week at WDW then step foot else where in the state. Thats why I want to move there and work there so I can visit other places than WDW...but I would hate myself if I ever vacationed in Florida and not visit the favorite place!

flavious27

They are going to spend money to add another attraction at IOA?

Wow, I haven't posted here in a while.

Things do seem to be getting heated, so I hope that Disney is being intimidated right now.

Well this is a uni vs wdw thread, it is going to happen.

Any hints? :)

I too really hope all of this pans out....and BIG TIME. I wanna see Universal continue to up the ante...and see if Disney will finally get off their tooshes and get back into the game.

I think we all do, I would think this is why disney is having avaland built. Or either Disney grabbed at the avatar brand before uni could.

Executives dont care about such things... that is for frontline cast members to deal with. ;)

Well if they haven't bought their butterbeer or plastic wands yet, the executives will need to care.

flavious27

Riders will not see any of the backstage areas. The track will be elevated at the same height throughout the entire run.

I am thinking of what those not on the ride will see. I don't doubt that uni will setup a hogwarts express ride to be as "immersive" as the seas with nemo and friends.

The more accurate way to state it would be that if you only have one day it will cost you $35 more to experience both parks. You are not paying $35 to gain access to just one new attraction you are paying for entry into a full park.

Look I get it - not everyone will see it that way. There will be some die hard HP fans that will be upset if they have no interest in seeing anything else in the other park. But in principal how is this any different than if I was interested in seeing the MK at Disney and only had an interest in TOT beyond that? Would Disney allow me to use my MK ticket just to see TOT and then leave the Studio park? My guess is that most HP fans won't care about the extra $35 and would gladly pay it to board the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley before purchasing their expensive Butterbeer, robes and wands.

The difference is that guests know that ToT is in another park and it is another franchise. Now if disney had built carland in dhs and then placed radiator springs racers as the autopia replacement, it would be the same thing. Having guests pay more to continue with the theme will make customers mad.

Assuming we are talking about a busy day when IOA would be open from 9 AM to 10 PM, that means the people that are reporting WWHP being a full day experience are spending 13 hours there! Even a few months after the land opened FJ waits rarely exceeded 2 hours. So let's say we ride FJ (2 hr), Hippogrif (30 min), the two Dragons Challenge coasters (30 min ea), Olivanders (45 min) and spent about 1.5 hours in the other shops and restaurant. That's a total of 6 hours leaving you 7 hours to enjoy other things. That's assuming you do everything, take your time, and that it's a very busy day.

No but I could ask the same about Disney, i.e., Star Tours and TSM. At least Universal is about to start construction on several new attractions that don't fit into those categories alone. They continue to innovate and raise the bar. Disney on the other hand is about to unleash the same old lackluster Mermaid dark ride that DCA has, a small step above a kiddie coaster, and a double spinner ride. Believe me it pains me to say that because it was Disney that inspired me to pursue the career I've been working in since I was 18. I grew up with the Disney that set the standard. Today's Disney, at least with respect to WDW, has mostly become a marketing machine profiting from yesterday's accomplishments and is no longer interested in standards.

Well the problem with disney is that they are on top, they don't see a reason to do more than offer what guests already have, and princessland is all of that.

Along with that, they don't see a need to keep money in the parks division. There is money being spent with dcl for the two ships, fixing dca, and expanding in asia; but there is still money being diverted to other parts of the company.

There is still expansion that is needed in the existing gates, and a new wed can do what is needed to enhance the current themes. Along with that, a new gate can bring new themes that wdi and tdo should have been pushing for.

Horizonsfan

I think we all do, I would think this is why disney is having avaland built. Or either Disney grabbed at the avatar brand before uni could. .

Wasn't it said that Avatar was sort of the inverse of the HP deal? Universal offered an "insulting" deal to Cameron and then Disney wooed him with a promise of a full land w/ creative control granted to him?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom