Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

AEfx

I hope you are right as Uni needs to challange Disney with quality adds and not cheap mimickry.

Hahahahhahahahahahahaha....

BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

Universal has already challenged Disney, and squarely kicked them in the behind.

They keep making the best new rides, yet Disney sits around and turns out uncreative garbage like TSM ("Yeah! Let's build yet ANOTHER ride that you can shoot at Toy Story characters with! This time, lets' not spend the money on sets and stuff...just throw people in front of a video screen. It will be like sitting in your living room - but at Disney!")

Universal has been the leader in innovative, impressive attractions since the dawn of Spiderman.

As much as I love Disney, and I WISH they would be on top again...they aren't, and haven't been for quite some time. They make a ton more money, but I truly haven't seen an innovative ride that wasn't cheaped out on from what it could be since Splash Mountain. Even things like "Soarin'", which are undeniably popular, are not truly innovative attractions.

Oh, wait a minute...what's my problem. Disney is spending a billion dollars on NextGen - which will be so awesomely impressive for guests - little electronic crap in line to occupy families since talking and spending time together is too boring, and fancy scanners so they can track people around the park for marketing. That's surely more impressive than Universal. They waste money on impressive attractions. Yuck! Who wants those...

AEfx

Are you assuming there are Potter fans and families that will be okay with only seeing half of Uni's Harry Potter offerings? Of coarse you can buy your ticket to get into IOA and enjoy WWOHP for all that half of the Potter experience is worth but the spoon needed to enjoy the entire Potter sundae will be next door at USO. Bottom line, as with anything, is that many will be irked by this.

I doubt it.

These are people that spend $40-100 for a "magic wand".

Saying Universal shouldn't do what sounds like an amazing addition (I'll be floored if they really connect the parks like that) because people won't want to pay the extra to get a 2-park ticket after they have traveled from across the country or the world to see Harry Potter attractions is just crazy. It's only a few bucks, and most of them will want to be multi-day anyway.

If Universal really does this as is rumored, it's a another slam dunk for them. It really could be the first thing to really challenge how people split up their vacation week.

DonaldDoleWhip

I doubt it.

These are people that spend $40-100 for a "magic wand".

Saying Universal shouldn't do what sounds like an amazing addition (I'll be floored if they really connect the parks like that) because people won't want to pay the extra to get a 2-park ticket after they have traveled from across the country or the world to see Harry Potter attractions is just crazy. It's only a few bucks, and most of them will want to be multi-day anyway.

If Universal really does this as is rumored, it's a another slam dunk for them. It really could be the first thing to really challenge how people split up their vacation week.
There's really no possible rebuttal to that point. :ROFLOL:

I agree - I think this sounds like a great addition for Universal, and I really hope that it changes people's vacation patterns even more. After all, until Disney starts seeing Universal as a serious challenger (instead of just a "complement"), there's little incentive for Disney to raise the bar.

Scuttle

Hahahahhahahahahahahaha....

BWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

Universal has already challenged Disney, and squarely kicked them in the behind.

They keep making the best new rides, yet Disney sits around and turns out uncreative garbage like TSM ("Yeah! Let's build yet ANOTHER ride that you can shoot at Toy Story characters with! This time, lets' not spend the money on sets and stuff...just throw people in front of a video screen. It will be like sitting in your living room - but at Disney!")

Universal has been the leader in innovative, impressive attractions since the dawn of Spiderman.

As much as I love Disney, and I WISH they would be on top again...they aren't, and haven't been for quite some time. They make a ton more money, but I truly haven't seen an innovative ride that wasn't cheaped out on from what it could be since Splash Mountain. Even things like "Soarin'", which are undeniably popular, are not truly innovative attractions.

Oh, wait a minute...what's my problem. Disney is spending a billion dollars on NextGen - which will be so awesomely impressive for guests - little electronic crap in line to occupy families since talking and spending time together is too boring, and fancy scanners so they can track people around the park for marketing. That's surely more impressive than Universal. They waste money on impressive attractions. Yuck! Who wants those...

Agree with everything you said, but come on Splash? How was Splash innovative compared to Tower or Everest? Those two rides are better then anything Universal has ever done. They are truly innovative rides. One has two 100 ton switchtrackes and the other has cables connected to an elevator that pull it up and down faster than the speed of gravity and has two 65 ton motors. I know what you mean about Universal, but these two rides are perfect examples of Disney at the top of their game (especially Tower).

AEfx

Agree with everything you said, but come on Splash? How was Splash innovative compared to Tower or Everest? Those two rides are better then anything Universal has ever done. They are truly innovative rides. One has two 100 ton switchtrackes and the other has cables connected to an elevator that pull it up and down faster than the speed of gravity and has two 65 ton motors. I know what you mean about Universal, but these two rides are perfect examples of Disney at the top of their game (especially Tower).

I guess "innovative" was the wrong word. Especially because I can't stand when they have to use a new ride system just for the sake of using it (which is why I am glad they are using Omnimover for TLM, and why as much as I hope I am going to love the Mine Train, I'm still leery of the "rocking" system).

I think I meant impressive, WOW factor. Everest looks WOW, but even when Yeti was in A-mode, it still felt like it was half done. They have this queue they spent a gazillion dollars and ridiculous amounts of time tracking down junk to place just so, the big animatronic at the end...but the rest of the inside is just dark (and not even dark enough, as you can see beams, etc.). There is nothing terribly immerse about it, and the Epic Fail known as Disco Yeti just makes it even worse.

ToT was technologically interesting, but the first time I rode it I was like...uh? That was it? I thought there would be more of a dark ride portion, and the "5th dimension" floor could have been amazing, not just some glow-in-the-dark props.

That's not to say ToT isn't a great attraction, but it's not WOW! like, say, the first time I rode Spiderman. Or Potter. (A feeling I get every time I ride.)

Universal has stepped it up. I referenced Splash because it truly feels like the last ride Disney built that just knocked my socks off. Yeah, it's a log flume, Disney didn't invent that - BUT...the overall immersive experience is undeniable. I don't feel that from any of the new attractions at WDW since then, really. They came close a few times (like ToT) but it feels like Disney just isn't interested in WOWing anyone anymore, just keeping enough new stuff around to keep people occupied.

Scuttle

I guess "innovative" was the wrong word. Especially because I can't stand when they have to use a new ride system just for the sake of using it (which is why I am glad they are using Omnimover for TLM, and why as much as I hope I am going to love the Mine Train, I'm still leery of the "rocking" system).

I think I meant impressive, WOW factor. Everest looks WOW, but even when Yeti was in A-mode, it still felt like it was half done. They have this queue they spent a gazillion dollars and ridiculous amounts of time tracking down junk to place just so, the big animatronic at the end...but the rest of the inside is just dark (and not even dark enough, as you can see beams, etc.). There is nothing terribly immerse about it, and the Epic Fail known as Disco Yeti just makes it even worse.

ToT was technologically interesting, but the first time I rode it I was like...uh? That was it? I thought there would be more of a dark ride portion, and the "5th dimension" floor could have been amazing, not just some glow-in-the-dark props.

That's not to say ToT isn't a great attraction, but it's not WOW! like, say, the first time I rode Spiderman. Or Potter. (A feeling I get every time I ride.)

Universal has stepped it up. I referenced Splash because it truly feels like the last ride Disney built that just knocked my socks off. Yeah, it's a log flume, Disney didn't invent that - BUT...the overall immersive experience is undeniable. I don't feel that from any of the new attractions at WDW since then, really. They came close a few times (like ToT) but it feels like Disney just isn't interested in WOWing anyone anymore, just keeping enough new stuff around to keep people occupied.

Really? Tower has a LOT of wow factor to me I'm suprised you don't think it does. I love Splash I'm by no means Splash for the record.

sc123tx

I don't post much but man AEfx has something against Disney. It's ok to say things have been stagnant lately, but to say Universal is kicking Disney's butt, no. I got to both parks when I go to Orlando. I love Harry Potter, but that doesn't make up for everything else at the park. Really, Storm Teacups? That's super innovative. Dr Doom fall, T2, Jimmy Neutron, and Shrek? Come on, I would prefer those rides over my local six flags, but at least be a little honest when making points. And so what if Universal is kicking Disney's butt, doesn't it make you the ultimate winner as a consumer? I bet your life is stressful.

Lee

Adventurer
^ Despite Universal's success with Potter, Disney still boasts the number one experience in Central Florida: Expedition Everest.

No way can I agree with that.
I like Everesst. It looks good, tells a good story, and is a fun coaster.
But with so many effects broken or just turned off...nah. Forbidden Journey kicks it's butt.

Skipper03

According to the latest info from Screamscape, Phase 2 of Potter will be built at Universal Studios, not IOA – making a 2-park/2-day visit much more likely for people visiting for Potter. If true (we all know Screamscape's track record, but this seems too brilliant to not be true), the two parks would be connected via "Hogwart's Express" train, with only people with the 2-park pass being able to ride.

It's a brilliant plan by Uni, and one that could make more of a significant impact to WDW. I still think people would rather stay at WDW than Uni, but I could see families now only getting 3-day park passes rather than 5-day ones. If Uni would build a much more family-centered hotel, I think they would make an even more significant dent to WDW (I still think they should have found a way to build Legoland on Uni property, with a Lego-themed hotel, but they didn't ask me!). A Hogwarts-themed hotel perhaps?

Here's the Screamscape article:

(12/5/11) In case you missed the late breaking announcement on Friday afternoon, but Universal Orlando announced that the Jaws attraction and the entire Amity themed area around it will be closing down forever after January 2nd to make way for a new attraction. While they were not ready to disclose what is in the works yet… I’ve done a good bit of digging since then and have come up with an amazing proposal that is going to both shock and likely amaze you at the same time.
If my various sources are correct, the Amity / Jaws area will be replaced by the proposed Phase 2 expansion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Now, before you flip out… lets go over it all, because for starters this really isn’t going to be the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at all. Instead, from what I’ve been able to gather, the new land to be build in Universal Studios Florida will actually represent the “London” side of the PotterVerse… including an entrance to the infamous Diagon Alley.
Diagon Alley, as seen in the movies, is home to infamous locations such as The Leaky Cauldron, Gringott’s Wizarding Bank and the true Ollivanders wand shop location, as seen in the films. The London location is also said to be home to King’s Cross station, where students would board the Hogwarts Express train from Platform 9 ¾.
Many of these locations have been mentioned in the rumored development plans for Phase 2 of the Wizarding World for months now, including an innovative indoor dark coaster ride said to take place inside Gringott’s Wizarding Bank. It’s no secret that the Wizarding World has been popular…so much so that it needed to be expanded to spread out the crowds, and come up with a way to provide new locations for guests to buy Butterbeer, Ollivanders wands and more. But it seems that Universal Creative really decided to try a new idea… and think really outside the box this time. Literally… because this new expansion is going to allow for guests in both parks to get a taste of the PotterVerse… but to get the ENTIRE experience, you’d going to have to have a 2-park ticket.
Speaking of having access to both parks… connecting the dots is said to be a true recreation of the Hogwarts Express, allowing guests with two park passes (and Universal Resort guests) to recreate the true journey from the Muggle world of London and actually board travel to the train station and board the train for a trip over to Hogwarts and the rest of the Wizarding World at Islands of Adventure.
Now if all that wasn’t enough, I’ve heard some rumors about another possible new attraction likely to go into this Phase 2 project, that may attempt to take advantage of the new 3D projection tunnel technology Universal created for King Kong 3D 360 at the Hollywood park earlier this year. I don’t know if this may be put to use during your train ride on the Hogwarts Express, or if this will be an entirely separate ride experience. (One source suggested it could be a trip on the 3-decker Knight Bus, but I’ve heard that this isn’t likely to happen).
Either way this is huge… and apparently it all has a rather aggressive construction timeline as Universal is said to be shooting to have it all up and running by 2014. I’ve also heard that an official announcement or teaser could be released very soon, so stay tuned!

This is absolute genius! What a fantastic idea... and most people even reading this will buy the tickets! I will!!

Skipper03

No way can I agree with that.
I like Everesst. It looks good, tells a good story, and is a fun coaster.
But with so many effects broken or just turned off...nah. Forbidden Journey kicks it's butt.

Thank you! And SpiderMan... wow, that's an awesome ride still! Hulk, everything just has this technology upgrade at Universal, where Disney has the heart and that's what they profit off of!

NoChesterHester

People can put their heads in the sand if they want. I havent been to Universal since the 90's and I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan... but if this is true the experience will be so compelling we will definitely be taking two days to visit this on our next trip.

flavious27

This may effect disney, but not that much. With how long the lines for wwhp are, a trip to ioa is a two day trip already. With having the two parts of wwhp so far part and requiring a two day ticket, this is going to bite them in the end.

Along with that, a hogwarts express between the two parts will have logistics problems. This rail line would cut off both parks from most of their backstage areas. Also guests would need to get their tickets checked every time they rode this attraction.

DonaldDoleWhip

This may effect disney, but not that much. With how long the lines for wwhp are, a trip to ioa is a two day trip already. With having the two parts of wwhp so far part and requiring a two day ticket, this is going to bite them in the end.

Along with that, a hogwarts express between the two parts will have logistics problems. This rail line would cut off both parks from most of their backstage areas. Also guests would need to get their tickets checked every time they rode this attraction.
Like Disneyland's monorail (at least from Downtown Disney to Tomorrowland), and that seems to work fine.

SyracuseOrange

People can put their heads in the sand if they want. I havent been to Universal since the 90's and I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan... but if this is true the experience will be so compelling we will definitely be taking two days to visit this on our next trip.

Agreed. I'm not a HP fan, and I've only been to Uni maybe twice in my life, but with all the new things they have coming in, I'm definitely thinking that the next time I'm in Orlando I'll take AT LEAST one day (maybe two) that would have originally been spent at Disney and go to Uni.

To keep the Harry Potter world realistic, Diagon Alley has to be a good distance away from Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. Thus it does make sense for it to be in the other park, unless they were going to replace IOA's port of entry with Diagon Alley!

Bairstow

To keep the Harry Potter world realistic, Diagon Alley has to be a good distance away from Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. Thus it does make sense for it to be in the other park, unless they were going to replace IOA's port of entry with Diagon Alley!

I don't get this.
epcot_worldshowcasemap.jpg

whylightbulb

It won't require a two day ticket because you can purchase a one day two park ticket. Also I'm not sure what IOA you are visiting but WWHP does not require anything close to two days. FJ lines average anywhere from 20 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the time of day and season. The other attractions are even less.

It will not cut off anywhere near most of the backstage areas. It will be elevated and will take up very little real estate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom