Uni's New Plan For Potter Could Make Significant Dent To WDW

NX2I85

Wasn't it said that Avatar was sort of the inverse of the HP deal? Universal offered an "insulting" deal to Cameron and then Disney wooed him with a promise of a full land w/ creative control granted to him?

Goodness, I hope that wasn't how it went down. If so Disney really got the short end of that deal. :lol:

whylightbulb

I am thinking of what those not on the ride will see. I don't doubt that uni will setup a hogwarts express ride to be as "immersive" as the seas with nemo and friends.
It will appear realistic to those not on the ride.

The difference is that guests know that ToT is in another park and it is another franchise. Now if disney had built carland in dhs and then placed radiator springs racers as the autopia replacement, it would be the same thing. Having guests pay more to continue with the theme will make customers mad.
I'm not saying some customers won't get upset but some of them get upset over not having access to both parks when holding a one park pass as it is. It's the nature of the beast and there is no way to please everyone.

Really I don't think there is precedent for this as there has never been two full lands based on the same intellectual property built in one park or two parks in the same complex. For that reason I don't think your example above is similar to what is planned. Potter is more than doubling in size and warrants a separate admission or at least a substantial increase in admission.

WDW1974

No but I could ask the same about Disney, i.e., Star Tours and TSM. At least Universal is about to start construction on several new attractions that don't fit into those categories alone. They continue to innovate and raise the bar. Disney on the other hand is about to unleash the same old lackluster Mermaid dark ride that DCA has, a small step above a kiddie coaster, and a double spinner ride. Believe me it pains me to say that because it was Disney that inspired me to pursue the career I've been working in since I was 18. I grew up with the Disney that set the standard. Today's Disney, at least with respect to WDW, has mostly become a marketing machine profiting from yesterday's accomplishments and is no longer interested in standards.

Oh c'mon, Mr. Negative Burned Out Lightbulb ... you know Disney rulz and UNI droolz.

Everything Disney does is MAGICal. Don't ya know they have new Peoplemover tees ... and that's on top of tees with turkey legs on them!:eek:

I come back from a combo business trip/vacation (yes, one that included Disney hating on the left coast) to soooo much negativity. It does me good since I do depend on fanboi tears to survive.:D:king::drevil:

So ... let's see ... what's hot in the Disney UNIverse? Are folks actually suggesting that Disney is looking into DVC inside EPCOT? (Good, because as much as it makes me want to puke :hurl::hurl::hurl: like that brat in the Vegas McD's, it also is true ... and speaks so much to WDW being simply a real estate development that happens to have very stale theme parks along for the ride) ... Has anyone here mentioned that Disney is about (or already has) to unload Club 33 to an outside operator (who will likely combine memberships with the new Carthay Circle operation for more $$$)? ... Has anyone talked about why Disney is mocking up FP's on attractions that have no need for them EXCEPT as part of the new NEXT GEN project, and that Disney will soon be enforcing (or attempting to) FP return times down to the minute because their whole plan your vacation right down to the minute scheme will 'blow up' (using an insider's terms) if Disney allows the current 'your FP is good for any damn time you feel like showing up' model that has been in place for almost a dozen years continues?

OK, don't want to overwhelm your minds ... but how about the fact that major capital projects for two of WDW's parks were recently shot down because Iger/Rasulo/Staggs still don't see the need to actually keep their parks relevant ... just play on fanboi nostalgia and Wishes, Dreams and MAGIC! Anyone talking 'bout that? You weren't all on the Disney Cruise Line junket in Toronto getting all hot and botthered about your upcoming free cruises in March, were you?

How about those meetings in Burbank and Anaheim after California Gov. Jerry Brown showed up for UNI's big Potterfest announcement in Hollywood? How 'bout that spin that Disney was negotiating with J.K. and WB for Potter rights in Anaheim?:rolleyes: Can't you just see Potter and Spidey at DL in CA and at UNI in FL? Yeah, neither can anyone else in the business.

How about the fact that DL just immediately gained a new major attraction because of it (and, no, I don't know what it is ... and neither does Disney ... just the power of that little wizard who lived)?

C'mon, guys/gals/inbetweens. I expect you to be on top of these things.

You at least did hear that UNI is closing Jaws and Amity in a few weeks for some immediate work (gee, wonder how that blue giants who hate the US military land is coming along for DAK? ... I'm sure they have some pretty renderings now that may actually look nicer than the Fantasyland stuff!) ... What about the new lagoon show that's coming along with some tech not seen in O-Town yet? Surely (and I will call you Shirley) that 'news' has broken, yes?

Who says WDW is stale (and has been for years)? ... Oops, that would be this Spirit.

He has lots to say ... but I think he is going back to the Witness Protection Program before the Disney Social Media folks realize 'that &*%$ is at it again!'

Of course, he might decide to write a thread on whether a day at DL is worth $80 ... or another on why folks are noticing that the Vegas mega-resorts all look the same and why there's a Disney related reason.

WDW1974

Mark my words. What is planned and budgeted for USF / IOA over the next half decade should have TDO an embarrassed shade of purple.

Why, Martin?

I mean, they'd have to actually CARE about their product first.

They don't. Why that isn't crystal clear with 98% of the fan community truly boggles the mind.

They care about selling real estate, developing swampland, building timeshares and hotels and milking a creative legacy they spit on every day with decisions that continue to lower the quality in ways big and small.

Then, they get rewarded for it by fanbois when they pretend they care about insignificant things like the Orange Bird ... or some crazy 70s show they can cart out at a D23 event.

But embarrassed? Seriously?

Not when they look at their retirement funds ... golden parachutes and stock prices.

You care. I care. Most of the people here care.

They do not. And they are quite in your face about it if you ever actually have the displeasure of talking to most Disney P&R execs based in the States these days.

Merry Christmas. :xmas:

WDW1974

I think all of us are REALLY hoping that Universal follows through with all of this promise and are able to do something we've never seen before. Not only is it good for us as visitors, but Disney needs a big wake up call.

They already got that when WWoHP opened in 2010 ... TDO just decided to keep hitting the snooze button.:snore::snore::snore:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'll bet the Fantasyland project definately won't be big enough to beat potter.. But I believe Avatar has a really, really high chance of beating Harry Potter. Disney could also add some new rides to defunct buildings like the Wonders of Life pavilion in Epcot.. or a new 4D attraction in the Sounds Dangerous theater at HWS. A new show at the abandoned Pocahontas stage in AK. Or the PIXAR expansion idea.. Disney could out-run Universal if they tried.

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by whylightbulb

The more accurate way to state it would be that if you only have one day it will cost you $35 more to experience both parks. You are not paying $35 to gain access to just one new attraction you are paying for entry into a full park.

Look I get it - not everyone will see it that way. There will be some die hard HP fans that will be upset if they have no interest in seeing anything else in the other park. But in principal how is this any different than if I was interested in seeing the MK at Disney and only had an interest in TOT beyond that? Would Disney allow me to use my MK ticket just to see TOT and then leave the Studio park? My guess is that most HP fans won't care about the extra $35 and would gladly pay it to board the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley before purchasing their expensive Butterbeer, robes and wands.

The difference is that guests know that ToT is in another park and it is another franchise. Now if disney had built carland in dhs and then placed radiator springs racers as the autopia replacement, it would be the same thing. Having guests pay more to continue with the theme will make customers mad.

REALLY?!?!

Disney spreads its franchises around. A guest who wants to see everything Nemo would have to go to EPCOT and DAK right now. A guest who wants to see everything Toy Story related would have to visit MK and TPFKaTD-MGMS. Disney wants its guests to visit every one of its parks and is manipulative in that manner to do so. Why should UNI be any different? Just following the leader, right?

Well the problem with disney is that they are on top, they don't see a reason to do more than offer what guests already have, and princessland is all of that.

Misplaced arrogance can bring you down quite quickly. Disney used to have a reason to be somewhat arrogant ... now? In the swamps? ... Um, not so much.

Along with that, they don't see a need to keep money in the parks division. There is money being spent with dcl for the two ships, fixing dca, and expanding in asia; but there is still money being diverted to other parts of the company.

There is still expansion that is needed in the existing gates, and a new wed can do what is needed to enhance the current themes. Along with that, a new gate can bring new themes that wdi and tdo should have been pushing for.

Is this another suggestion that Disney needs another park in FLA? Haven't we gotten past that absurd notion? Or was I just dreaming?:xmas:

c-one

They did almost the same thing with the FJ show building.

Well I wouldn't go THAT far -- Forbidden Journey's show building is mostly disguised as the Hogwarts castle. It's just that they got lazy and you can see the show building from certain angles (which is bad show and ought to be fixed FWIW). In this case, they're not even trying to theme it -- a giant, garish mural is not theming.

WDW1974

DVC inside Epcot? Good god they really have no rock bottom do they?

Oops, did I go and toss some logs on that fire? I can be such a naughty 'wittle Spirit sometimes.:fork::drevil::wave:

As to DVC inside a park, that should surprise no one. Disney has continually pushed the boundaries of getting people closer and closer. Because some fans are nuts enough to believe there is some reason to actually stay IN a theme park (one that will be closed for most of the time they use their rooms).

You had the Dream Suite at DL and the Castle Suite at MK. Of course, you had to be very lucky to actually 'win' a stay in them. Today, they are used but for whom and what (if anything) they pay is a closely guarded secret.

You have the BLT being built practically on top of the MK. You have DAK Villas on top of their own mini-animal enclosures like KS. At DL, you have some DVC units at the GC that are on top of DCA.

And the units in a park deal go back to the original plans for Westcot, except back then we were looking at hotel units planned from the start above the pavilions versus adding timeshares to a park going on 30.

But the exclusivity deal is what Disney is looking to tap. They see the entitlement mentality of many in the fan and DVC communities and there certainly is a market for wackos who would pay premium times 10 prices to be able to say they are staying in the EPCOT DVC Japan wing ... or the DVC EPCOT Canada villas.

I'd like to believe this is simply blue sky wet dreaming on the parts of Iger, Rasulo, Staggs and TDO ... but then I'm reminded they did spend millions to put one smallish suite in the middle of the MK.

So ... do NOT assume anything, but that they'll try like hell to make this happen.

Oops, did I go and toss some logs on that fire? I can be such a naughty 'wittle Spirit sometimes.:fork::drevil::wave:

As to DVC inside a park, that should surprise no one. Disney has continually pushed the boundaries of getting people closer and closer. Because some fans are nuts enough to believe there is some reason to actually stay IN a theme park (one that will be closed for most of the time they use their rooms).

You had the Dream Suite at DL and the Castle Suite at MK. Of course, you had to be very lucky to actually 'win' a stay in them. Today, they are used but for whom and what (if anything) they pay is a closely guarded secret.

You have the BLT being built practically on top of the MK. You have DAK Villas on top of their own mini-animal enclosures like KS. At DL, you have some DVC units at the GC that are on top of DCA.

And the units in a park deal go back to the original plans for Westcot, except back then we were looking at hotel units planned from the start above the pavilions versus adding timeshares to a park going on 30.

But the exclusivity deal is what Disney is looking to tap. They see the entitlement mentality of many in the fan and DVC communities and there certainly is a market for wackos who would pay premium times 10 prices to be able to say they are staying in the EPCOT DVC Japan wing ... or the DVC EPCOT Canada villas.

I'd like to believe this is simply blue sky wet dreaming on the parts of Iger, Rasulo, Staggs and TDO ... but then I'm reminded they did spend millions to put one smallish suite in the middle of the MK.

So ... do NOT assume anything, but that they'll try like hell to make this happen.
Two words : bean counter.

Magenta Panther

What would be awesome with Uni is if it built an on-site hotel that looked like the Leaky Cauldron Inn or, even better, resembled Hogwarts "houses" - customers could book a room into either Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, and the cast members there would be dressed as professors and students. There could even be mock classes as entertainment. People would go ape. :D

As an aside, I know that a lot of people here are excited over "Avatarland" or whatever it's going to be called. But IMO it will never be a serious threat to Potter. Potter has cross-generational appeal that Avatar simply lacks. The Avatar attraction that will be built will probably have great thrills and eye candy, but it won't resonate with children and most adults the way Harry and his friends do. I just don't see how it could.

menamechris

I completely agree. I'd be happy if Avatar was scrapped and that ride system that Disney has apparently patented would instead go into a refurbed, rebuilt Peter Pan's Flight.

We should be careful what we wish for. This wouldn't be like scrapping the Contemporary health suites. This is a major expansion that has been announced. If they kill this project, we can't count on getting ANYTHING in the next decade or so. My biggest fear is that they have found the public reception to be lukewarm at best - giving them license to cut back and end up building a subpar joke of a "land". If they are going to do it - they need to do it and do it right. It has been a very long time since they have created something that exceeds expectations... This needs to be it.

WDWGoof07

I completely agree. I'd be happy if Avatar was scrapped and that ride system that Disney has apparently patented would instead go into a refurbed, rebuilt Peter Pan's Flight.
That's a neat idea, at least in concept. If this system is something feasible, there are a lot potential, exciting applications for it that don't involve blue people. (mostly I want Avatar to go away)

novawildcat18

I just think it's saying something that when a Harry Potter section of a theme park was announced, people went crazy and were so excited by the thought of it and now there's a complete opposite attitude towards Avatar-land. People are even hoping the idea gets scrapped. Universal is doing something right while Disney isn't. Personally, I believe that while Avatar may have some potential for a cool land/cool rides, I don't believe it fits into AK and even into Disney culture in general. The consumers don't seem to want it. I say get rid of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom