Union Recommends Voting Against Disney Contract Proposal

waltdisny

BwanaBob said:
Reality:

A union is a business.
A union hires itself out to employees as their third-party representative to the "company".
A union may sacrifice individual employee issues, even locals, to perpetuate it's own institutional purposes.
A union does NOT provide jobs or paychecks, and CANNOT guarantee, despite promises, job security or specific wages and benefits.

Fact is, a business DOES have more room to 'pay' people what they are worth vs. longevity if a union is not present. I'm not saying what is happening with the Mouse vs. it's employees is fair and just; I'm mearly making a comment from the corporate side of the spectrum. ........
I will still treat my associates with dignity and respect (in accordance with what is fair and just in the marketplace, and with the location of my business and it's surrounding trends and average wages based off of cost of living).

The last thing I need to worry about is this when I'm trying to become 'profitable', as some of you put it. Suddenly, the clasps tighten around what I'm willing, and able, to do if I have to negotiate every damn little thing. I'm sorry. I'd rather go out of business and start up somewhere else, then fight that battle.
:D
If a company is well run, and treats it's employees with respect, and pays fair, like yours, then your employees don't need a union, and I never said they did.

However, in some industries a union makes sense, for example: aviation. I once worked at a non-union airline. I had a friend who returned an airplane to the gate because it was broken causing an expensive rescheduling. The next day, he was nearly fired for having done so. The company used a technicality that would have legally allowed him to continue. My friend relied on training and common sense to know that taking off would have been dangerous.

Now, after that, do you think my friend would have thought twice about comming back the next time? How would you like to be his passengers when he decided NOT to return?

Do you think the company would have stood by him if there had been an accident? Nope, they would have left him twisting in the wind.

At my present employer such nonsense doesn't happen, not because he company wouldn't like to, but because we have union protection.

TURKEY

Still haven't answered the question about how much the union heads are making.

The union also does an excellent job of protecting cast that should be fired for doing a lousy job. Seems to let some good people get fired without much of a fight. Your response?

waltdisny

TURKEY said:
Still haven't answered the question about how much the union heads are making.

The union also does an excellent job of protecting cast that should be fired for doing a lousy job. Seems to let some good people get fired without much of a fight. Your response?
I don't know how your contract is set up with regard to representation and job protection.

I know at my company the union fights like a rabbid dog for good people, but doesn't support the bad. We have a group of peers that help the slackers try to reform before they run afoul of management, and that helps in the distinction between the two. But, I work in a very Darwinian business, those who can't do the job self select for extinction one way or the other. Personality issues are therefore rare, and the distinction betwen good and bad is therfore easy. If the company oversteps it's bounds and compromises safety, they will be held accountable. Likewise, if a person does something outrageous he'll find himself cashiered.

Without the contract, the company would run amuck. I've seen them try it even with the contract.

Our MEC draws standard line pay. I don't know what the local bosses make, but it isn't alot, they are elected by the members, and they work hard for their money from what I've seen. As for the national, they draw from an agregate of all members nation wide. I don't know what they make off hand, but it is disclosed in the annual report. And again, they are elected by the membership, or serve at the descression of the elected leadership, and are thus held accountable.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Well, Well, Walt

Your rhetoric stuns me. You wax on and on about how great the unions are, or have been, with regard to your particular situation. You mentioned that can say no with regard to making a decision based on safety, when the company would rather go ahead with the risk. First of all, if you're working in a safety sensitive industry, and your company is asking you to take risks, maybe you should consider working in a different field. Sounds like you have serious problems at the top of that corporation. Otherwise, maybe you'd like to cite an example of when you were asked to take said risks, that were outside the parameters and limits set by the company, so that we all can understand where you're coming from on this particular issue. I also noticed that you made inference to the fact that the quality of your work would be based on your pay. (i.e. well paid happy employees make the company more money). Now, I'm not accusing you of ANYTHING, but allow me to pose a question to you. If a person is going to base the quality of their work on the amount of pay/benefits they receive, isn't this really a character issue with the employees, and NOT the employer. After all, the employer tells you prior to be hired, what the pay rate is. To then withold effort based on pay seems somewhat unscrupulous to me.

And I still have questions, which have yet to be answered with regard to the DISNEY UNIONS. I am not interested in your situation, as it does NOT apply to Disney at all. Not even a little. As someone clearly stated earlier, all unions are NOT the same. So, having said that, I still wonder how much the guys at the top of the union(s) at Disney are making. And while you make the comment that the members control the union, and not the leadership, if that's truly the case, why then do you need the leadership? It speaks to the very heart of my arguement that we as individuals have the power to do more for ourselves than ANY government agency will EVER do. And while the minimum wage is a Federally guaranteed figure, I also said that the best way to affect THAT singular issue is by how we vote. But in order to affect that change at the national level, you FIRST HAVE TO make changes at the State Representative level, as they will be your repesentation at the National level. If enough Representatives are elected with the same view on the same issue, well, you know the rest from here.

I guess if we wanted we could govern ourselves into perfection, by merely having the Federal Govt. take care of everything right? I mean, I know that's NOT what you are saying, but think about it for a minute. And I harken back to the era of Roe v. Wade. The Fed. found it necessary to legislate the right of a woman to choose to have an abortion. Now follow me here. From there we decided as a country that we needed to care for those who couldn't AFFORD to care for themselves, with the institution of the welfare programs. Now forgive me if dates are incorrect with respect to actual legislation, but I'm speaking of a MINDSET here, and not trying to be chronologically correct.
Somewhere in there we added foodstamp programs. And although I'm sure that they existed prior, it was during the era of Jimmy Hoffa that unions came into national prominence. That isn't to say that it's all corrupt by mentioning his name, but again to set a picture for people. During these times was the equal rights movement, right to vote movement. All historical times to be sure, but it shows, I believe, a couple of things. First, and foremost, people taking charge of their own lives, and affecting change at a national level, based on their own views and opinions. A great thing to be sure. Now, I also believe it shows where the government saw, and seized on the opportunity to begin dictating their terms/conditions, more than we as individuals were going to be able to do in the future. They had the foresight to see that if they could get certain constituencies to believe that they would TAKE CARE of them, that those people would continue to vote them back into power year after year. If you look at issues like Roe v. Wade, welfare and food stamp programs, etc., you see a pattern of the govt. acting as the PARENTS, if you will, to millions of americans who believed, or were made to believe, that they couldn't do it on their own. Now, fast forward to the unions of today. I believe there is a direct corellation in the m.o. of unions when they look at how the govt. has operated. While they do vote in a democratic manner, and yes, DEMOCRACY is GREAT, as our President continues to tell all us, and I truly believe. But, and this is ia big but, if my view as a union member is outnumbered, I'm out of luck. Hence the problem. Those in the minority are NOT served. Which is, in a nutshell, my entire point. If I'm not beholden to any union, all that stands between me and progress in my life is ME. WOW!!! What a concept. Individuals taking responsibility for their own lives. You see the beauty of being a business owner, is that I, not YOU, get to set the rules by which my company is run. In a publically traded company, yes, shareholders become the boss. But guess what, they tend to want the same thing that owners usually do. PROFITS!!! Again, if all of these people, who you indicate agreed to the previous contract, saw the economic changes coming, why would you continue to stay in a job that continues to put you further into an economic hole on a monthly basis? It doesn't add up. Let's see. I'll take a job paying minimum wage, cause I know the union is going to be there for me. Hmmmm, prices are going up but not my pay. Oh, that's okay, the union will be there for me. Hmmm, 3 years now everything going up, but my pay. I know the union will be there for me. Do you not see a problem with this picture? I can tell that you are an intelligent person and a great debater. But come on, you have to see this too. And contrary to what you may think, I do appreciate your views very much. And I also appreciate the plight of people less fortunate. But I don't believe that they are stupid, ignorant, or incapable of taking care of themselves. What we've been left with is a large group of people who DEPEND on government to cure all their ills. This is simply not good for the whole of our country. I, for one, don't want govt., or unions, getting/giving me handouts. I can take care of myself.

Here's what I see: A society in which we continue to give more and more power to those in Washington, to tell us how to live, what to eat ,how much I can make, how much to pay for fuel, etc. A society in which the government attempts to level the field between the haves and have-nots, by redistributing wealth, thru taxation, and social programs. Truth is, you tax the rich and make private business owners pay more for wages, who do you think is ultimately going to pay for those increases? You think business owners are going to have a change of heart, and decide that profits aren't as important as they used to be? THE MIDDLE CLASS WILL PAY FOR ALL OF THIS!!! As I'm sure you already know, the middle class bears the biggest burden of all in this country in totality. Others pay more in taxes, but generally those folks also make a lot more too. The reason I say the middle class will pay is this:

If we go back to the subject at hand. IF, and it's a big if, Disney does give in and raise to whatever the union is asking for. (which, by the way, I haven't seen in any press releases: yet they release how unfair the proposal is that's being made by Disney). Who do you think Disney is going to pass along those pay raises to? You think you won't see a rise in ticket/resort prices? A rise in consumables? Let me give a scenario. Lower attendance, equals less $$$. That equals lower payroll, which businesses always use as a tool to maintain profit margins. That equals less hours for everyone, which in turn usually results in people moving on to other jobs. Then you hire in less skilled labor, at yet a lower wage. Now, aren't we back to square one? And in all of this, who REALLY wins? Let's see, the union leadership who has been making money thru monthly payments, (WHICH NO ONE ON THIS BOARD WANTS TO ADDRESS), the lawyers who help represent the union, and Disney, who gets to maintain profit margins. Tell me again how the union has helped out in this scenario? Now, I know you will say, "this hasn't happened yet". Hasn't it? Do you honestly think the ALL of the same people that are working there now, where there prior to May? How many people do you think have sat around saying to themselves, that's okay, the union will be there for me!!?

Now you made a comment in response to BwanaBob, regarding an incident with an airline co. The just of your comments is that the company(ies) in question would operate in a manner unsafe for their customers, if given the opportunity. I think that's a LARGE assumption on your part, and while anything's possible, it did NOT happen the way you assume it would.

In the end, here's what we have. Disney has an obligation to its guests, and shareholders. It has an obligation to its cms to provide safe working environments with competitive pay. I believe, if left to unions, that the end result will drive costs up for everyone. I believe in capitalism, and in the ability of the american spirit, drive, and intelligence. Again, I believe in the power of individuals, to that of govt., or unions. That has been my CONSISTENT VIEWPOINT ON THIS ISSUE.

And just to end on this:

Why hasn't anyone mentioned how much the cms PAY for union dues? Why is it that we can debate all of the issues surrounding how cms are so "poor" based on their pay, yet they hand money over on a monthly basis, to an organization that has allowed their current contract to lapse, and appear unable to bring anything to the table that Disney will even consider? Why don't we know how much the union leadership AT DISNEY is paid? How much are the attys AT DISNEY paid for representing the union? How many union members ACTUALLY VOTED on the last contract? How many voted no on this proposal from Disney? Doesn't anyone think that these are important questions that need to be answered?

Or are we going to continue to argue that this is just the evil corporate giant taking advantage of poor, stupid, ignorant people?

I for one, believe in the cms and their ability to succeed in this issue. Believe it or not, I hope they do succeed. As I continue to say ,they do deserve more. I say that knowing full well that I, as a consumer, will wind up paying for more everything Disney in the end. This is about doing what's right. But do we really need unions, or in many other examples nationally, the Federal Government, to tell us what is right? Or don't MOST of us already know the answer to THAT question?

Mightymoc

I have read this thread with some amazement. I fully recognize that unions are absolutely necessary for certain companies in certain industries. If you are a company who gets a union, you probably need one.

That said, it sounds to me like the unions representing WDW employees are doing an absolutely terrible job of representation. Their last negotiation has obviously resulted in a contract that did not guarantee adequate cost of living increases. The "no strike" clause is an absolute train wreck. If you are a union member (especially if you pay them dues) you have CHOSEN to allow others to negotiate on your behalf. Even if you retain the right to vote to accept or reject a contract offer, the union has done the up-front negotiating. If I worked for WDW, I would find it difficult to justify membership in such a union.

As an employee of Disney, you have choices:

1) You can choose to stay and enjoy the Disney "perks." At the current wage rates; it certainly is not for the money.

2) You can leave and go to another job in the area. What does Sea World pay? How about Universal? Wet 'n Wild? Bush Gardens? If they pay more, and money is an issue, why not work there? If their pay and benefits are better, they will lure good CMs from WDW. If their pay and benefits are comparable to WDW, why should Disney pay more? The market will determine the wage rates.

3) You can remain and hope that the unions representing CMs changes their past history and negotiates a better contract for their membership (also known as the "holding your breath" option).

My company is based in a town where they have been the best-paying employer in the area for years. A large retailer is now building a huge distribution center, and will offer competitive wages. The result: the company for whom I work is offering its best employees even better wages to stay in advance of the new business in town. The market supply/demand in action. If Disney pays so poorly (and I have no idea what comparable businesses pay), they would likely be losing good employees left and right. If that is happening, then wage rates would be increasing.

One last thought from an old employer of mine: "On payday, everbody is even. I don't owe you and you don't owe me. When we disagree on that, it is time for us to part company one way or another." I always found this to be good advice in staying happy in my career. When I have been dissatisfied with the "equation" I have always managed to find a better situation (sometimes with the same company, sometimes by going to another company). My employers do not exist to keep me happy; they exist to make money. It is MY job to be sure that what I do is rewarding for me by choosing the company with the right job, the right atmosphere, the right benefits, and the right compensation. Companies that offer poor pay, a poor environment, or poor benefits will never enjoy the value of my efforts. If things are that bad with WDW, go somewhere else. It really is that simple.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I couldn't agree more with you Mighty. I've yet to be able to get any answers regarding the questions I posed about the union dues, fees of leadership and attys., etc. etc.. Instead, what I HAVE gotten is political rhetoric based on class envy pitting classes of individuals against each other.

It's a tired old argument that makes no sense, as it doesn't do ANYTHING to solve the actual problems we face here. I saw where someone mentioned that Universal, according to them, pays upwards of $10/hr. Makes you wonder why there isn't a mass exodus from WDW to Universal. Let's see, work 38 hours a week, at 6.70/hr., or 38 hours a week at $10/hr. Seems pretty simple to me. And I wonder if those that work at Universal also work under unions, or not. Seems curious that if they do, wouldn't it be likely that they would be represented by some of the same unions? Hmmm, very interesting. Wonder if I'll get a response to those questions?!!!

artvandelay

Hennie, I can answer part of your question. IATSE cm's pay their union 4% of earnings. If their IA local is the same as mine, the salary for the union leadership is the same as a head of department.

Glasgow

In the end, it's definitely all about business and money, as many here have stated. As a guest, however, which do you want .. higher wages for the CMs or lower ticket prices and hotel rates for the guests? Unfortunately, slashing management wages won't fix all of the money issues plaguing the low end employees, so you still need to find a way to come up with all of this extra money

It is definitely a difficult situation! :veryconfu

SpaceRacer2003

HennieBogan1966 said:
And just to end on this:
And hopefully this is the end, as this not WVA vs. Southwest, Airline vs. DC, You vs. Me. It is and started as a failure by the Walt Disney World Co. & the Unions representing over 20,000 Full-time cast to agree to the terms of a new contract.

HennieBogan1966 said:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned how much the cms PAY for union dues? Why is it that we can debate all of the issues surrounding how cms are so "poor" based on their pay, yet they hand money over on a monthly basis, to an organization that has allowed their current contract to lapse, and appear unable to bring anything to the table that Disney will even consider?
Are Disney cast members "poor"? Well I don't think "poor" is the right word. These are people who bust their behind day in and day out to put out a great product. We are "selling" entertainment. Are they under-compensated given the economy surrounding their occupation... YES. To commit yourself to a company that will only guarentee it's full time employees 32 hours a week, at a low rate of pay, while demanding a high rate of success. It is not only a poor on a pay scale but on a mental scale too. You want me to be the best, but will pay the worst (perfect logic). But the company records great profit and attendance (find a copy of the Orlando Sentinal if you want details). They will pay $100+million for an attraction experience, but won't pay $9 for the experience the guests encounter the most.... the people,cast from the parking lot to the turnstiles, the popcorn girl, the guy that puts you on Space Mtn. They are a major part of your experience .

Anyway to back to your important questions, the contract has been extended, the cast is still covered by the agreement reached in 2001. As for the union not bringing an acceptable offer to the table, the offers presented have been reasonable, no one is asking for Executive pay, but a living wage, and an end to a tiered system that splits CM's into smaller "classes" in the contract. It is about an hourly pay raise and not a yearly "bonus". And from one who has seen the negotions first hand on several occasions, it is not the union not bringing to the table it is Disney moving the table and delaying the process.

I can't comment on all the unions as there a bunch. But from experience it is about $7 a week. I look at it this way, it is the cost of one of your favorite carbonated cola colored beverages per day. Oh well I needed to cut back on the caffine anyway.

HennieBogan1966 said:
Or are we going to continue to argue that this is just the evil corporate giant taking advantage of poor, stupid, ignorant people?
Insulted, party of one. The next time I encounter your business, remind me to degrade you too. :mad:

HennieBogan1966 said:
I for one, believe in the cms and their ability to succeed in this issue. Believe it or not, I hope they do succeed. As I continue to say ,they do deserve more. I say that knowing full well that I, as a consumer, will wind up paying for more everything Disney in the end.
Believe it or not... whether we succeed in our efforts or not, you will pay more for your Disney vacation, no questions ask??? Why... the cost of living, when Disney pays more for hamburger buns, you pay more for the hamburger. When the price of worms goes up, you pay more for Fishing. If it cost you more to goto Disney World. Think of the people it costs more to work there. When I joined on I accepted the terms of the agreement under which I hired in. At the time the pay was acceptable along with the benifits ,sure free park admission for the Family is great but there comes a point where it really doesn't matter, the novilty wears off, and what good does a food or merchandise discount do when from your wages you can't afford it anyway. Times have changed, they will continue to change, it is a given. So why then can the agreement not change. :hammer: :hammer:

SpaceRacer2003

Mightymoc said:
If you are a union member (especially if you pay them dues)... If I worked for WDW, I would find it difficult to justify membership in such a union.
Pardon the question What Union do you belong to that you don't pay dues? If you pay dues, your a Union member. If you chose not to join and pay your dues then your not.

#1 If you join, you pay.
#2 If you pay, you vote.
#3 If you don't vote, don't complain.
#4 If you chose not to be able to vote, see #3
(#3 & #4 hold true outside the Union world, if on Nov. 2nd you do either #3 or #4 don't come to me on Nov. 3rd to whine about it.)

Mightymoc said:
If Disney pays so poorly (and I have no idea what comparable businesses pay), they would likely be losing good employees left and right. If that is happening, then wage rates would be increasing.
The good ones are going away.... what you will eventually be left with is the "Hey you know what I need a job and this is as good a place as any, I dont really care about the values and traditions of this company its just a paycheck" Do the words WELCOME TO SIX FLAGS ring a bell? Are there not dozens of posts on this forum alone that talk about the downward slide of customer service? quality? need I go on?

Mightymoc said:
My employers do not exist to keep me happy; they exist to make money. It is MY job to be sure that what I do is rewarding for me by choosing the company with the right job, the right atmosphere, the right benefits, and the right compensation.

This company exists to make money, yes... how by selling a product.

The product is entertainment, its not something you hold in your hand or dig from the ground. It is not something you put on your desk. It is the emotions and the experiences, those are the products. Why do you buy the stuffed animal or a CD... it triggers an emotion or a memory, while you may have something tangible in the end it is all whats inside that counts.

If your experience is tarnsihed by poor service or a bad feeling, are you going to buy that product (or something to remind you of it) again? I wouldn't. Disney theme parks are a unique enviroment and really can not be compared to other business locations. Why, because you can't really goto the supermarket, gas station, or shopping mall for this type of product. If you do get the same feeling as the gas station that you do at WDW, save your ticket money and continue inhaling the fumes.

Everyone's definition of Happy is unique (Twins included)
I don't go to work and think "golly gee my boss should make me happy today" I go because I enjoy what I do and where I do it, it is a rewarding job. That said...

Is this the right job? There are people that would give both legs and a ear to do what I get to do everyday. There are other message boards out there to prove it.

Is it the right atmosphere? Aside from the heat, yes.

Are the benefits acceptable? Yes, but again as previously stated, what good is a discount on food or merchandise when based on your wages you can't afford it anyway.

Is the compenstion right? NO. In 1998 the wages were ok, for 1998. In 2001 the wages were decent (given the tragic events during the Fall 2001 negotiations and the effect on the industry). In 2004 it is unacceptable to continue working for 2001 wages. Have you recieved an increase in compenstation in the past 3 years. Was it inline with the increase in your cost of living?

Times change, so should the agreement. It is not like we all jumped up out of the blue and said "Hey pay me more" The former agreement was ending and as happens talks began and continue for a new one.

Mightymoc

SpaceRacer2003 said:
Pardon the question What Union do you belong to that you don't pay dues? If you pay dues, your a Union member. If you chose not to join and pay your dues then your not.
SpaceRacer2003 said:
#1 If you join, you pay.
#2 If you pay, you vote.
#3 If you don't vote, don't complain.
#4 If you chose not to be able to vote, see #3
(#3 & #4 hold true outside the Union world, if on Nov. 2nd you do either #3 or #4 don't come to me on Nov. 3rd to whine about it.)

I am not a member of a Union, but work VERY closely with a good one that does an excellent job in representing its membership. As far as the voting and complaining, I could not possibly agree with you more.

SpaceRacer2003 said:
The good ones are going away.... what you will eventually be left with is the "Hey you know what I need a job and this is as good a place as any, I dont really care about the values and traditions of this company its just a paycheck" Do the words WELCOME TO SIX FLAGS
SpaceRacer2003 said:
ring a bell? Are there not dozens of posts on this forum alone that talk about the downward slide of customer service? quality? need I go on?

It would be nice if long-held values and traditions still meant something to companies like Disney, however the realities of business have sent most of those ideals "packing." I remember my trips to see The Mouse in the mid 70's and still have those experiences burned into my brain. Unfortunately, money and family circumstances have limited my visits since then. I visit infrequently, and don't notice differences in the customer service and quality levels. I know many families like my own who still feel the same magic they did years ago because of the long time between visits. Until the infrequent visitors curtail their visits because of quality and service issues, there is little incentive for Disney to change things. Moreover, the high cost of a Disney vacation will is likely to keep many visitors from visiting frequently. If cost continue to rise further, the trend will likely continue.

SpaceRacer2003 said:
Is this the right job? There are people that would give both legs and a ear to do what I get to do everyday. There are other message boards out there to prove it.
SpaceRacer2003 said:
Is it the right atmosphere? Aside from the heat, yes.

Are the benefits acceptable? Yes, but again as previously stated, what good is a discount on food or merchandise when based on your wages you can't afford it anyway.

Is the compenstion right? NO. In 1998 the wages were ok, for 1998. In 2001 the wages were decent (given the tragic events during the Fall 2001 negotiations and the effect on the industry). In 2004 it is unacceptable to continue working for 2001 wages. Have you recieved an increase in compenstation in the past 3 years. Was it inline with the increase in your cost of living?

Times change, so should the agreement. It is not like we all jumped up out of the blue and said "Hey pay me more" The former agreement was ending and as happens talks began and continue for a new one.

SpaceRacer, it is because of people like you that my family will go back to WDW next year . . . you like what you do, which as you state so well is entertain and make people happy. As for the heat, we are going in March. The issue of compensation is obviously a problem. Yes, I have received and increase in compensation in each of the last 3 years, and it more than met the increase in cost of living (I humbly believe that I earned it). But know this (and I'm sure my boss knows this), if I had not received those increases, I WOULD HAVE FOUND ANOTHER JOB. While I like what I do, and the company for whom I work, I still find compensation to be a major component of my employment situation. You and other CMs will need to decide if the job, the benefits and the atmosphere outweigh the poor compensation. These are personal decisions. I absolutely agree that Disney does not pay at an acceptable wage level. They can do so because their employees are willing to accept it. I wish you well in your negotiations. Your membership will continue to struggle unless you vote in much larger numbers. Sadly, this is epidemic in the US.

waltdisny

Spaceracer2003

Space, Well said! :D (bows gallantly)

I hereby resolve to not get dragged into a political debate in these fourms.:hammer:

My final and first point, I feel Disney should invest in it's people first. They'll get that money back in the long run. HAPPY PEOPLE MAKE MORE MONEY FOR THE COMPANY.

I'm not going to comment on this situation myself, but the "pro-union" and "anti-union" comments remind me of a funny quote from the Simpsons (the scene is a flashback to the early 1900s):
Worker being dragged off-"You can't keep treating us like this. One day day the workers will form a Union. Then we'll go too far, and become shiftless and greedy. And the Japanese will eat us alive."

artvandelay

FourFourSeven said:
I'm not going to comment on this situation myself, but the "pro-union" and "anti-union" comments remind me of a funny quote from the Simpsons (the scene is a flashback to the early 1900s):
Worker being dragged off-"You can't keep treating us like this. One day day the workers will form a Union. Then we'll go too far, and become shiftless and greedy. And the Japanese will eat us alive."

Mr. Burns: "We should of listened to that boy instead of walling him up in the abadoned coke mine."

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Oh, Space

Where to start:

First of all, you should read my comments in their entirety, and not cherry-pick the comments you don't like, then misinterpret them. I'm working on the theory that you have a brain, and hoping you'll understand sarcasm when you read it. I was actually taking a shot at people on this very thread, who have commented that some people actually NEED unions to negotiate for them. The hint being that some people ARE too stupid to help themselves in this area of business. Go back and read some previous posts, and you'll get the FACTS!!! So, ANY comments you read that you THINK were cheap shots at cms, was actually sarcasm, aimed at those who support the union (s) in this particular issue. And, oh by the way, I am also a seasonal cm with TDS.

Now, I certainly hope that you don't expect me, or others on this thread, to believe that just a few years ago, that minimum wage was a LIVING wage for you, and that now, whatever you're making, isn't. Minimum wage hasn't been a living wage in my lifetime, and I've been around a few years.

Now, on to the FACT that you yourself, said that YOU agreed to the terms and conditions of your employment. If this weren't a union run situation, you could have negotiated your own deal. If Disney wouldn't hit the hip for what you asked for, then you walk away and work elsewhere. But as I read on in your post, I see where you say that the NOVELTY has worn off, and your wage is no longer a living wage. ARE YOU SERIOUS??!! Do you actually expect me to believe that you took the job for the NOVELTY OF IT?!!! Come on!!! You CAN'T be serious. Whatever the case, let's examine the most important fact in this case. YOU AGREED TO TAKE THE PAY WHEN YOU WERE HIRED. What part of this FACT do you not understand? Again, if there's no union, you negotiate your own deal. As I understand it, and I'm basing this on information from someone on this board, Universal pays in the neighborhood of $10/hr to some cms. If that's the case, couldn't you easily use that as a bargaining tool as an INDIVIDUAL with Disney? (if there were no union.)

My point is, if you had BOTHERED to read ANY of my previous posts, that I believe in the power of individuals. I don't believe that YOU or anyone else, needs union representation in order to better their own lives. It's called personal responsibility, and freedom of choice. If YOU don't like the pay, work elsewhere. As you said, the NOVELTY is gone and the pay doesn't pay the bills anymore.

And once more, how MUCH EXACTLY, do you pay for union dues each month? How many months/years have you been paying in? How much are YOU paying your UNION leadership, and their attys?

By the way, as I said many times in previous posts, I do believe that pay SHOULD be higher. Being beholden to a union isn't the way to do it. Disney WILL get that money back. Bank on it. Again, even though YOU AGREED TO WORK FOR THE PAY, if you don't like it, work elsewhere. Disney isn't the only employer in the world.

By the way, all the union members knew that the contract was coming up on expiration right? And when did you union LEADERSHIP come to you with plans for starting to work on some new proposals? January, February? I'm just curious here. Yet more questions, which need to be answered!!!

SpaceRacer2003

I'll just leave it at this your attempts at sarcasim are poor at best, and as others will attest I am a king :king: of the genre. It is clear that you will not look at it from the point of view of an insider and even a CT TDS CM is not inside to this process. Doing something for "fun money and benefits" is way different then doing it for a living. As Will Rogers said (paraphrase, as I don't have the exact quote in front of me) You have to go around behind a man, and stand in his shoes, take a look back at what he see's, then you will understand the whole story.

$6.75 a week dues BTW had you read what I wrote... it is the cost of one soda a day. And I did take the job for the novelty of it, I'm sorry that you can't fathom someone enjoying what they do and choosing that location because of it. Why choose based on novelty... I honestly was only planning on being here a year, but I liked what I was doing so I stayed. And YES I KNOW I agreed to the terms of the agreement in place at that time. Oh by the way... in case you missed it that was six years ago. So with the change in lifestyle and living expenses yes what I made then was adequete. Today with the change in the cost of living and the like that is no longer the case.

And honestly I don't care how much the leadership and atty's get paid, it is (and I'll use your phrasing) my INDIVIDUAL choice (since I have the freedom to choose) to allow the union to represent me, my PERSONAL RESPONSABILITY is to be informed and to exercise my right to vote my opinion on the proposals. Your right I don't like the pay... but going into the bargaining sessions I know that there is the possibility of change. Three years ago the contract was agreed upon and I agreed to continue under that agreement. Now with the expiration of that agreement it is time to re-examine the compensation and benefit levels. Where do I lose you that this was my choice and I too feel a responsibility to my future. I have made my choice to be represented by a union in the bargaining process (which we started in early November if I recall correctly, we did not wait until the agreement was over... its called proactive).

And on that I'm done with this thread, it is clear that no matter what usless info it thrown out you will continue against the union fight (even if you believe in the end result), the power of one is a great theory when applied properly, this is not a power of one situation, it is the voices of many (Carry the Banner). Apples to Apples, Oranges to Oranges.

We have opinions on two complete opposite ends of the scale, and it appears that it shall remain that way. You are entitled to yours and I to mine, however I take the personal responsibilty and use my freedom of choice to no longer waste keystrokes here in this topic.

And with that we conclude our broadcast day....

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Some numbers for everyone to ponder

Was just doing some adding of numbers and try this on for size:

IF we assume, as was posted earlier on this thread, that the typical "fee" if you will for union membership is 4% of your gross pay, at 6$/hr, 40/hrs per week, here's what we get.

(1) $43 dollars per month, per member

(2) multiplied by 20,000 members, that's $960,000 PER MONTH!!!

(3) That's $9,792,000 PER YEAR. That's NINE MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR IN UNION MEMBERSHIP DUES FOR 20,000 MEMBERS.

This is why I REALLY would like someone with direct knowledge to explain the FACTS about union membership, union dues, atty. fees, # of working members, percentage of pay you contribute.

If I'm even close, how in the world could it take NINE MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR to run a union? Where is all that money going? PLEASE, someone give us some HARD FACTS regarding the questions I've posed.

Keep in mind, Disney employs in the neighborhood of 50,000 cms. I'm reading where approximately 20,000 of those are union members. (on this thread).

PhotoDave219

SpaceRacer2003 said:
We have opinions on two complete opposite ends of the scale, and it appears that it shall remain that way. You are entitled to yours and I to mine, however I take the personal responsibilty and use my freedom of choice to no longer waste keystrokes here in this topic.

And with that we conclude our broadcast day....
Well said, my friend, Well said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom