Union Recommends Voting Against Disney Contract Proposal

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
HennieBogan1966 said:
Not worth having for the job? Are you serious? Have you ever heard of being qualified and/or having the work experience for the job? I'll give you an example. I just interviewed for a position within our company in Orlando. Now, when and if they make me an offer, it's up to me to try and negotiate with them what we both believe to be fair for both sides. I understand that. For example, the position I am interviewing for include moving expenses. Now, as was told to me, I am competing against others already in the Orlando area, albeit, people from outside our company. But, they won't require travel expenses. This will be part of the negotiations, should I be offered the position. I have some choices here. I can either accept this fact, and press on, or I can take my ball to another court. If we were a union run company here's what would happen. Instead of getting a pay increase for the position, which is a step up the corp. ladder from my current position, I would have to give away that increase in exchange for the company paying my moving expenses. Sound fair? Not to me. Glad we don't have a union representing us. Now, I know what you are all thinking out there. You're thinking, no you wouldn't, cause the union would require the company to pay both the moving expenses as well as the pay increase. So, you're saying that the company would negotiate away its right of refusal to let the employee have his/her cake and eat it to. You think so huh? Ever run a business before? I have. Let me tell you, that doesn't happen. It's one or the other. It was even hinted at that if I would be willing to forego having the company pay my moving expenses to Fla, that it would give me an even bigger advantage over other applicants.

So don't try to tell me that if someone isn't willing to take whatever the pay is that they aren't worth hiring. For one, you don't know every situation, and it's garbage to try and generalize the entire working public in that way. You are the master of your own destiny.

Unless you're part of a union.

Then, you're half the master of your destiny. (so to speak)

Well said and I totally agree. If my company operated in Orlando, I would suspect that it would be very difficult to get a transfer/promotion which includes relo benies. Its the same way with Colorado. Alot of people want to live in Colorado, 95% of the positions posted in my company for Co. dont include relo bennies due to the popularity. My company pays almost the same salary base for my position in Houston Texas that is does in L.A. The cost of living in L.A. is two times maybe three times the cost in Houston. The reason they can is, people like to live in the L. A. area because of the climate, Holleywood, beaches etc. There are alot more factors involved in wages than just "the mean ol company trying to stick it to the poor little employee". Yes, you probably cant afford to live in a house, raise a family, send a kid to college on the hourly wage that Disney pays, but guess what, I dont think it was meant to do that.

Just my thoughts....

TheDisneyGirl02

All I am going to say is the WDW CM need a pay raise...that's all there is to it. I don't care about union involvement, I don't care about trying to talk up their salaries, all I know is that Disney pays very little for the hard work and dedication that MOST CMs give to the company. The last contract was 1998, it's 2004, a different century even. Give them more money and that will be the end of it! *gets off the soap box*

Sorry about the vent...it's all my opinion, but I felt I had to express it.

TheDisneyGirl02

Atta83

HennieBogan1966 said:
Not worth having for the job? Are you serious? Have you ever heard of being qualified and/or having the work experience for the job?

Im just gonna keep coments to myself now..... :zipit: :zipit: :zipit: :rolleyes:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
TheDisneyGirl02 said:
All I am going to say is the WDW CM need a pay raise...that's all there is to it. I don't care about union involvement, I don't care about trying to talk up their salaries, all I know is that Disney pays very little for the hard work and dedication that MOST CMs give to the company. The last contract was 1998, it's 2004, a different century even. Give them more money and that will be the end of it! *gets off the soap box*

Sorry about the vent...it's all my opinion, but I felt I had to express it.

TheDisneyGirl02

:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :

TheDisneyGirl02

Sorry about the head banging...didn't mean to get you upset...I just wanted to express how I felt about the situation. I have a close friend who is struggling to make ends meet. Rejecting a contract isn't always just about what unions stand for. What I'm saying is that everybody, union or no union deserve pay raises every once in a while.

TheDisneyGirl02

waltdisny

First of all, I do not work for Disney, although the thought has crossed my mind. I work in a white collar job in a safety sensitive industry, for a company that has a union.

Second, hakunna, and hennie both missed the point. I am not looking to big gov't to cure all, I'm looking to the people to change things. I feel that the Federal Gov't can, and should, raise the minimum wage. I also feel that right-to-work laws are by and large not good for the workers. The government should level the field with moderate, balanced policies. Straying too far toward the left or right benefits no one, as can be seen in WVA.

I don't have class-envy, nor am I advocating a welfare state. I just see the reality that history is repeating itself. Corporate Feudalisim has happened before in this country, and it can happen again. The Gov't can stop it if it so chooses, or given time the masses will fix it by direct means. My personal preference is to avoid a class war and it's violent labor struggles by having the government enact policies that grow the middle-class. This worked in the post WWII era, and could work again. In my observation, the middle-class has been shrinking steadily since 1980, and neither party has done much about it.

Second, my grocery bill has infact gone up 125%. There are a number of reasons, the basic one being that gas prices have gone up. Pepsicola, which used to cost 2.99, now costs 3.98. A ribeye steak used to cost 6.49/lb, yesterday I paid 14.99/lb. on sale. And I live in a beef-producing state. If you've been tracking these things as dilligently with MSMoney as I have, you'd see the same thing.

I agree completely with you, I can and should negotiate my salary, and if I don't like it I should go elsewhere. But, by the same token, I see no reason why I shouldn't give my present employer the oportunity to keep me by sweetening the pot. And that's what the union is doing with Disney. In many industries, unions can do that more effectivly than individuals ever could. In this case, they are saying in effect, "things are more expensive now, if you want to keep these good people, you need to pay more."

I understand basic economics, and understand that coporations exist to make money for thier investors, and Disney is no different. But, in the case of Disney, and many other businesses, IMHO, they would be far better off investing in their people for the long term good of the company.

It is simple economics, happy workers make more money for the company. I said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm not advocating that Disney give away the store, but they could do far better than 4%, and still make that up in productivity gains and repeat business.

A Disney cast member has more direct power to effect the company's bottom line than most basic workers. That's why it's in Disney's interest to pay well. If a CM acts surly, they can drive away a guest who potentially could return, and bring in tens of thousands of dollars over the long-haul, not to mention the funds generated by brand loyalty, such as DVD sales. Granted, Disney could sack the offender, but it's too late, that guest is lost forever, and Six-flags or Universal will now get his money. And for every guest that complains, there are 6 more who didn't and are just as gone.

If Disney were to raise salaries an outrageous 25%, to $8.50 an hour. That works out to be around $75 million, plus taxes for the 20,000 union workers at WDW. That is less than Mike made, as I mentioned in the previous post.

As you said, if the Disney people don't like it, they can leave. Fine. But I'm telling you, you'll continue to get lower quality workers, and eventually business will suffer even more as a result.

waltdisny

HennieBogan1966 said:
And if I might add, waldisny making the comment that corporations have a moral obligation to their employees is funny. I'm guessing that he and others like him, probably don't see the moral obligation as it relates to personal behavior and choices.

Corporations bare NO moral obligations to us as employees whatsoever. Where is that written? Is that clause right next to the Roe v Wade law?
Are you seriously saying that corporate entities have no moral responsibility for the treatment of their employees? If that's the case, then we might as well trash all the labor laws, put children back into factories, and scrap the minimum wage. Marvelous.

Yeah, that's a great idea. We'll save a ton on tax dollars since all the kids will be working is sweat-shops we won't have to pay for public education anymore. We can have people beholden to the company stores again. Heck, let's just repeal the emancipation proclamation, that way we can make money by selling the workers too. We can drive labor cost down so low that we can make a fortune on every product we sell.

Never mind that no one can afford them.

Have you ever been to a third-world country? I mean a real one, not Mexico. I have. It's not pretty. It makes you think twice about the need for laws that protect the workers, and about the need for corporate responsibility.

Yen_Sid1

HennieBogan1966 said:
Not worth having for the job? Are you serious? Have you ever heard of being qualified and/or having the work experience for the job? I'll give you an example. I just interviewed for a position within our company in Orlando. Now, when and if they make me an offer, it's up to me to try and negotiate with them what we both believe to be fair for both sides. I understand that. For example, the position I am interviewing for include moving expenses. Now, as was told to me, I am competing against others already in the Orlando area, albeit, people from outside our company. But, they won't require travel expenses. This will be part of the negotiations, should I be offered the position. I have some choices here. I can either accept this fact, and press on, or I can take my ball to another court. If we were a union run company here's what would happen. Instead of getting a pay increase for the position, which is a step up the corp. ladder from my current position, I would have to give away that increase in exchange for the company paying my moving expenses. Sound fair? Not to me. Glad we don't have a union representing us. Now, I know what you are all thinking out there. You're thinking, no you wouldn't, cause the union would require the company to pay both the moving expenses as well as the pay increase. So, you're saying that the company would negotiate away its right of refusal to let the employee have his/her cake and eat it to. You think so huh? Ever run a business before? I have. Let me tell you, that doesn't happen. It's one or the other. It was even hinted at that if I would be willing to forego having the company pay my moving expenses to Fla, that it would give me an even bigger advantage over other applicants.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. You're comparing salaried workers to hourly workers. They are totally different even inside the Disney company itself. Salaried workers can neogiate for their pay and get different benefits also.

But you're saying if there wasn't a union then everyone could neogiate their own wages? Because salaried workers are better than hourly workers?

HennieBogan1966 said:
So don't try to tell me that if someone isn't willing to take whatever the pay is that they aren't worth hiring. For one, you don't know every situation, and it's garbage to try and generalize the entire working public in that way. You are the master of your own destiny.

Unless you're part of a union.

Then, you're half the master of your destiny. (so to speak)

You say don't generalize the entire working public but then you then generalize all unions be cause you had a bad experience with one.

Scooter

Just some thoughts:

As someone earlier mentioned...no one is forced to work for Disney.
The wages are lousy...everyone knows that, but there are still tons of people who would give their eye teeth to work there...cuz it's Disney.
Voting for strikes is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Negotiate negotiate negotiate...then if you don't like the contract quit and go elsewhere.
It's corporate business people, it's not rocket science, we know how it works.
The Management makes tons of money and the scale slides downward...that's just the way it works and why I won't work for a big corporation again.

Let's talk about perks now:

Don't Disney castmembers get resort and merchandise discounts and free park entrance? I don't...so I consider that to be some pretty nice perkage.

There is a thread here somewhere about The Disney Stores being sold to another company called Childrens Place or something like that. Several of the posters were employees of Disney Stores and stated that the only reason they worked there was for the benefits and perks they received. I can't help thinking that knowing full well what Disney Pays, the majority of employees at WDW are there for one of two reasons. 1) The Love of Disney and 2) The Perks...or both.

Seems to me they have a decision to make...either come to some kind of agreement that is sensible to both sides, (Which btw Almost NEVER happens ) Take what they are offered, or take a hike...
Because believe me...Disney WILL find someone who will take those jobs.

As a former Union Member for a large corporation, I can pretty much see how this one is gonna turn out folks. :animwink:

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't union members have to vote on contracts that are presented to them by employers? If that's the case, then the members are controlled by the unions, and not free to work or not work, based on their personal views and feelings related to those contracts. Waltdisny made the comment that he felt it should be left up to the PEOPLE to make their own way about wages, then in the next sentence said that the FED should level the field. So which is it? Can't be on both sides of the fence here.

I'm not comparing hourly wages to that of salaried employees, but to the idea that if you don't like the wage offered to you, work somewhere else. And don't try to convince me that somehow people don't have a choice about whether or not to actually "take" the job. That works for ANY job for which you are applying. It's common sense. Accept the pay/don't accept the pay.

Now, as for the ridiculous notion that I would see fit to scrapping labor laws. No, businesses don't have a moral obligation to pay you the most that they can. What they WILL do is pay you what they believe is fair based on your experience level against the min/max for that position. Although I didn't go into that much detail about it, that's what I meant by those comments. What I DIDN'T say was that they shouldn't be responsible for providing a clean, safe working environment. Don't put words out there that I DID NOT USE!!! Typical liberal spin. You take one comment, misrepresent the facts, and accuse someone of something they didn't say or do. Labor laws are there for a reason. And guess what? If you read that entire poster that's posted on your bulletin board at work, it also refers to the wage laws!!!

Again, for those of you out there that aren't listening, here's what I said and meant. The easiest way to affect change in this country is by how we vote.
My reference to WVA is a great example. People complain about how poor that State is, yet continue to vote the same politicians back into office year after year. Don't you wonder why that is? I'll tell you why. It's because the coal mines and unions pour millions of dollars into the campaigns of those in power who will agree with them. And if you try to tell me your vote doesn't count, then what about 2000 or this years Presidential campaign. And further, if your vote doesn't count, why have the union at all. Aren't they just going to vote what THEY want and not always what's best for you?

I don't believe that the way to best serve ourselves as FREE individuals in this country is to depend on unions or the government. It's for us as individuals to make the best life we can for ourselves. To educate ourselves and to work as hard as necessary to provide for ourselves and our families. To work long enough and hard enough at a job that you are able to move up the ladder and experience a better wage scale. Problem is, most people don't stick with jobs long enough to do that. They bounce from one to the other, hoping to grab the brass ring. This furthers the problems with wages, as employers use turnover rates to depress wages as well. Knowing that the life expectancy of any given position is low, causes them to depress the wage offered for that position. Why would I want to pay you $8/10 an hour if I know in all likelyhood you'll leave the position within 12/24 months?

Now back to the unions. Don't sit back and put your fate in someone else's hands to determine what you will make for a living or what kind of, if any, benefits you will receive. No company comes to the table thinking, hmmm, how can we give more to the employees and just take less profit.

When Disney offered the top job to Michael Eisner, do you think he took the first offer, or do you think that he negotiated the best that he could out of Disney? Do you think they said, look we'll give you whatever you want, or did they come to the table with a min/max number in their minds? Do you think he would have relied on a union to negotiate his contract? Let's use some common sense out there.

And this is about class envy. When people talk about how the middle class (why even mention a "class") if you aren't using class envy as your strategy, and how far it has fallen behind in the last so many years?

And no one answered my questions that I posted last regarding the last contract negotiation, and who voted for it? These questions, once answered, will tell you a lot about what's REALLY going on here. Again, I agree that they should be paid more, but don't think that won't come without a price tag attached. Disney WILL get that money back one way or the other.

Face it, they're in business for profit, not charity. I wouldn't give it up either. As for the quality of help being hired, what are you then saying about the cms that have been doing this for years, or about those who did it for years during the last 30 years? Were they all substandard? How many trips did YOU take to Disney that you disliked due to poor service? You act as though this pay thing just happened overnight. It did NOT!!! This has been the case for many years. If most were honest with us, the truth would be that most of the cms who work part time, don't do it for the money, but the benefits. Park entrance, discounted merchandise, resort prices, etc.etc. Now, if that's the case, aren't they then taking the "perks" as a more imnportant aspect of why they work there, rather than the actual pay scale?

My Wife and I worked as seasonal cms at a local DS and guess what? We did it for the benes. Not the pay scale. When they said 5.35 I said okay. Now, if I don't like that pay later, who's fault is it? And should I look to a union or the government to swoop in and fight for me? Not at all. Just go do something else. What we have here is that people don't want to work for what they agreed to. Ronald Reagan had a problem like this during his administration. Know what he did? He fired them all. Not saying this would be the best course of action in this case, but it does illustrate what can happen when push comes to shove. I can tell you this, if I lived in Orlando, and were able to work for the Disney parks, part-time, at min. wage, I'd do it. Because I would already have a full time job which would pay the bills and I would use the benes to enjoy great times and merchandise from Disney.

And therein lies the options. Quit or keep on keeping on.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Yes Scooter, the CMs at the parks do receive perks, much better is my understanding, than we at the stores do. I can tell you factually that with the purchase of the stores by The Children's Place, that our benefits are going away. Now, having said that, word is the stores WILL lose a lot of good cms. Why? Because they did it for the perks and NOT the pay. Now without perks, there's no incentive to take up your personal time in the retail world. We're signed on for seasonal again this year, but are thinking of not going back due to this very fact. We love the company, but if I can't get discounted merchandise, and tickets, why do it? Again all, it's about being ABLE to take control of your own life, and not being beholden to some union.

TURKEY

waltdisny said:
It is simple economics, happy workers make more money for the company. I said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm not advocating that Disney give away the store, but they could do far better than 4%, and still make that up in productivity gains and repeat business.

A Disney cast member has more direct power to effect the company's bottom line than most basic workers. That's why it's in Disney's interest to pay well. If a CM acts surly, they can drive away a guest who potentially could return, and bring in tens of thousands of dollars over the long-haul, not to mention the funds generated by brand loyalty, such as DVD sales. Granted, Disney could sack the offender, but it's too late, that guest is lost forever, and Six-flags or Universal will now get his money. And for every guest that complains, there are 6 more who didn't and are just as gone.

As you said, if the Disney people don't like it, they can leave. Fine. But I'm telling you, you'll continue to get lower quality workers, and eventually business will suffer even more as a result.

Too bad that the union will fight for people that do awful jobs and make it so they don't get fired leading to high quality CM's to leave because of awful co-workers they have to put up with.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Yet more questions for everyone out there

Just sitting here thinking this thru further and had some more questions.

(1) How much are the monthly union dues? Back in the early 90's a friend of mine that frequented my shop in WVA paid the coal mine union he belonged to 180/month. And at the time they were looking to raise that fee. Just wondering how much cms pay each month?

(2) What is the pay/fee for the union leadership and the union attorneys?
I can assure you they aren't doing any representation for free. What are the attys' hourly rates?

(3) By the way, these are in no particular order. How large IS the union for Disney? I'm guessing it totals in the tens of thousands.

(4) And has the union leadership told anyone how long, if you were to strike, they could afford to pay you. The last strike that I encountered while in WVA, the members were told 2 months at best. TWO MONTHS?! After years of contributing!! Are you kidding me?

I would love it if anyone could answer any/all of these questions for me. I'm guessing this will be VERY telling with regard to who's making the money here.

And in reading the article that was written in the fla. paper reporting on this, the union leadership recommended a no vote to its membership. So, things will stay the same would they not? Instead of a pay increase, albeit 10 cents/hours, there will be NO raise, but you would get to continue making o/t. Ahh, but that's only IF Disney agrees to allow you the o/t. Remember, they get to determine that one. And I'm guessing that you would receive whatever penson benefits you have accumulated to date. But Disney could opt out of any current plan, thereby giving you nothing in the end.

So, let's review this no vote, and its ramifications.

(1) No pay raise.

(2) An end to any pension plan at Disney's discretion. (Remember: they may be paying you a pension right now, but I'm guessing it's at their discretion to end this pension plan w/o notice. Better read the bylaws on that one people.)

(3) No o/t at Disney's discretion. (Again, they may have to offer it, but doesn't mean they're going to give it to you. Just because I'm required as a business owner to pay you for anything over 40 doesn't mean I'm going to work you over 40. I'll just close earlier, shut down attractions that aren't staying busy, or run them seasonally, (any of this sound familiar?) and move people from one attraction to the other to avoid any o/t.

Yep, sounds like a win for the union alright. At least for the union leadership. Now that's great leadership.

Yen_Sid1

HennieBogan1966 said:
Just sitting here thinking this thru further and had some more questions.

(1) How much are the monthly union dues? Back in the early 90's a friend of mine that frequented my shop in WVA paid the coal mine union he belonged to 180/month. And at the time they were looking to raise that fee. Just wondering how much cms pay each month?

(2) What is the pay/fee for the union leadership and the union attorneys?
I can assure you they aren't doing any representation for free. What are the attys' hourly rates?

(3) By the way, these are in no particular order. How large IS the union for Disney? I'm guessing it totals in the tens of thousands.

(4) And has the union leadership told anyone how long, if you were to strike, they could afford to pay you. The last strike that I encountered while in WVA, the members were told 2 months at best. TWO MONTHS?! After years of contributing!! Are you kidding me?

I would love it if anyone could answer any/all of these questions for me. I'm guessing this will be VERY telling with regard to who's making the money here.

And in reading the article that was written in the fla. paper reporting on this, the union leadership recommended a no vote to its membership. So, things will stay the same would they not? Instead of a pay increase, albeit 10 cents/hours, there will be NO raise, but you would get to continue making o/t. Ahh, but that's only IF Disney agrees to allow you the o/t. Remember, they get to determine that one. And I'm guessing that you would receive whatever penson benefits you have accumulated to date. But Disney could opt out of any current plan, thereby giving you nothing in the end.

So, let's review this no vote, and its ramifications.

(1) No pay raise.

(2) An end to any pension plan at Disney's discretion. (Remember: they may be paying you a pension right now, but I'm guessing it's at their discretion to end this pension plan w/o notice. Better read the bylaws on that one people.)

(3) No o/t at Disney's discretion. (Again, they may have to offer it, but doesn't mean they're going to give it to you. Just because I'm required as a business owner to pay you for anything over 40 doesn't mean I'm going to work you over 40. I'll just close earlier, shut down attractions that aren't staying busy, or run them seasonally, (any of this sound familiar?) and move people from one attraction to the other to avoid any o/t.

Yep, sounds like a win for the union alright. At least for the union leadership. Now that's great leadership.

Obviously, you must not read the other posts very well or you know the union structure at WDW, and trying to compare them to a single coal miners union in WVA.

There is no "one" union at WDW in fact, there is over 20 separate unions that represents workers at WDW. So when you say "THE" union, do you even know which one you are talking about? Are all unions just the same to you??

There are 6 separate unions that form the Service Trades Council and they neogiate together with Disney to come up with what is know as the Collective Bargaining Agreement (or contract).

SpaceRacer2003 said:
Disney workers union rejects contract
Disney's three-year contract with the trades council expired May 1. The council represents about 20,000 workers from six local unions in a wide range of jobs, from performers to housekeepers to food and beverage workers.

The Service Trades Council represents The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Local 631; United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 1625; Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees International Union, Locals 737 and 362; Teamsters, Local 385; and Transportation Communications International Union, Local 1908. Todd Pack can be reached at tpack@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5407.

It was post #23 on this same thread.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
But you aren't disputing or answering my questions. Okay, there is more than one union. But don't the union members have to vote approval/disapproval of any contract brought to them by a given employer. The # of unions representing cms doesn't matter if the process is the same across the board.
Please answer my question. Do they not vote on the contract????

And yes I do read the "other" posts, as well as the articles written in the local papers there regarding this matter. Question is, why can't anyone with so-called "knowledge" answer any of my questions, or refute any of my comments.

And yes I do compare this to my "EXPERIENCE" in WVA, as I believe it gives me "some" insight into how unions tend to operate. Now, correct me, but didn't this latest contract expire back in May? What have the union reps been doing for their members since then? And how much did you say the members contribute in dues? How much are the paying their leadership? How much are they paying their legal reps? How many people are members of unions overall?

And IF I'm incorrect in how the votes are done within each union, then exactly what does the union members dues pay for? What kind of representation does it get each member, if he/she doesn't get to cast a vote on each contract? And you mentioned that they refer to their contract as a Collective Bargaining Agreement, just as MLB does with their players. This tells me that they in fact do vote on the contracts, voting as recommended by the union leadership. Which brings us to the recommended no vote.

Now, can you actually ANSWER any of these questions, or are you just going to continue to try and use other peoples' comments to TRY and refute mine. Which, by the way, you've been unable to do.

And yes, Dave, I will have a magical day. I do every day. I do especially when I hit people with facts and they aren't able to refute them.

BwanaBob

Reality:

A union is a business.
A union hires itself out to employees as their third-party representative to the "company".
A union may sacrifice individual employee issues, even locals, to perpetuate it's own institutional purposes.
A union does NOT provide jobs or paychecks, and CANNOT guarantee, despite promises, job security or specific wages and benefits.

BTW...I know of a business that pays employees $10 per hour to "stock shelves"!
(Rob---shut your mouth if you're reading this!)

Fact is, a business DOES have more room to 'pay' people what they are worth vs. longevity if a union is not present. I'm not saying what is happening with the Mouse vs. it's employees is fair and just; I'm mearly making a comment from the corporate side of the spectrum. I can reward my employees MUCH FASTER and with higher wages and incentives for their contributions to the company vs. having to negotiate every little thing, in fear of showing "favoritism" towards an associate, and getting bogged down in even MORE legal crap than had there not been a union present.

I will still treat my associates with dignity and respect (in accordance with what is fair and just in the marketplace, and with the location of my business and it's surrounding trends and average wages based off of cost of living).

The last thing I need to worry about is this when I'm trying to become 'profitable', as some of you put it. Suddenly, the clasps tighten around what I'm willing, and able, to do if I have to negotiate every damn little thing. I'm sorry. I'd rather go out of business and start up somewhere else, then fight that battle.

My heart goes out to all of my fellow CM friends (both past and present).

P.S. If you would like a job that pays better than what Disney is paying,...
well.... you know how to get a hold of me! :D

waltdisny

HennieBogan1966:"Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't union members have to vote on contracts that are presented to them by employers? If that's the case, then the members are controlled by the unions, and not free to work or not work, based on their personal views and feelings related to those contracts. Waltdisny made the comment that he felt it should be left up to the PEOPLE to make their own way about wages, then in the next sentence said that the FED should level the field. So which is it? Can't be on both sides of the fence here."

First, the membership controls the union through whatever process in in place. In the case of my union, we elect a Master Executive Council who represents us before the company. In my profession we are governed by strict laws about how negotiations take place. Once a contract is presented to the membership, they accept or reject. If it goes down, the process starts again, or the stuff goes into the fan. The members ARE NOT controled by the union, just the opposite. At my company, the current negotiation was so badly bungled that the entire MEC is going to be voted out, and the contract as well. The employees must decide whether the contract is worthwhile, and majority rules. Simple democracy at work.

Second, That is NOT what I said. I said I look for the people to change things through their votes, and through grass roots efforts, such as collective barganing when appropriate. YOU said that labor laws, such as right-to-work are a STATES RIGHTS issue, and NOT the FEDS. I disagree, the constitution clearly states that the congress has the power to regulate interstate comerce, of which labor laws are a part. Further, I said that it would be better for ALL states if the laws were uniform. That doesn't take "Big Government", it takes responsible leadership, something that has been rare in the last few decades.

I also said that the PEOPLE can change the labor laws by voting. Hence the term, by the people and for the people.

"I'm not comparing hourly wages to that of salaried employees, but to the idea that if you don't like the wage offered to you, work somewhere else. And don't try to convince me that somehow people don't have a choice about whether or not to actually "take" the job. That works for ANY job for which you are applying......"

That's a very idealistic statment. A quick look at the history of labor relations in this country and elsewhere shows that it often just doesn't work that way. Look at WVA, where the coal mines were the only game in town. What choice do the miners have? Walmart didn't exist then as a viable option. Management can and will exploit labor if they're given a chance, as you said, financially it makes sense. Labor has to fight back, and in many places unions are the best and only method with which they can get what is fair.

Let me give you an example, I work in a safety sensitive industry. There are times, when something breaks for example, when I have to say, "Nope I'm not going to do it." Now, that costs the company big bucks, and they'd love to be able to intimidate me into taking the risk, but they can't because I have a union.

"Now, as for the ridiculous notion that I would see fit to scrapping labor laws."
Your words, not mine. To say that company's have no moral obligation to their employees is saying just that.

And BTW, what does abortion have to do with any of this?

"No, businesses don't have a moral obligation to pay you the most that they can. What they WILL do is pay you what they believe is fair based on your experience level against the min/max for that position."

That is NOT what they will do, there are many situations where a business can and WILL force wages to absurdly low levels if given the chance, because they make more money! BTW, I said they have a moral obligation to pay what is fair, NOT the most, and that it is in their financial best interest to pay well, that's an important distinction. DO NOT put words out there that I DID NOT USE!!! Typical conservative spin......

"What I DIDN'T say was that they shouldn't be responsible for providing a clean, safe working environment. Don't put words out there that I DID NOT USE!!! Typical liberal spin. You take one comment, misrepresent the facts, and accuse someone of something they didn't say or do."

You JUST SAID IT AGAIN! You said:"They shouldn't have to provide a safe work environment!!" Again, you're saying you want to throw away a century of often bloody progress. Who's mis representing the facts now, Sir?

" Labor laws are there for a reason."
Exactly my point. Thank you.

" And guess what? If you read that entire poster that's posted on your bulletin board at work, it also refers to the wage laws!!!"
I have read it, and it says Federal Minimum Wage, NOT State minimum wage.

"Again, for those of you out there that aren't listening, here's what I said and meant. The easiest way to affect change in this country is by how we vote."
Agreed. That is in fact, what I said as well.

"My reference to WVA is a great example. People complain about how poor that State is, yet continue to vote the same politicians back into office year after year. Don't you wonder why that is? "

For the reasons I said, WVA has regulated itself to the point that it can't compete with other states. There is no reason why a beautiful place like WVA shouldn't have a booming economy like Colorado. That's why I said it would be in the best interest of all states for the Federal Government to control labor laws. Uniform laws would benefit everyone.

"I'll tell you why. It's because the coal mines and unions pour millions of dollars into the campaigns of those in power who will agree with them....."

While I'm sure the unions and the mines do infact pour $$ into elections, that becomes 1) an issue for campaign finance reform 2) It implies that the unions and the minimg companies are working together, which by extention indicates that the unions in WVA are therfore flawed, and not an applicable model for unions elsewhere. 3) and by YOUR OWN argument, don't the people of WVA have an obligation to educate them selves and vote what is in their true best interests? Are you saying that the unions are coercing their members to vote a certain way? If so, that again indicates a flawed union.

"And further, if your vote doesn't count, why have the union at all. Aren't they just going to vote what THEY want and not always what's best for you?"

Who said your vote doesn't count? oh right, YOU DID. Again, your missing the point, if the union only serves itself, then it is a flawed union, and not an acceptable model for measuring the Disney union, or anyone else's for that matter. As I SAID an effective and productive union partners with management to get what is FAIR for it's members, and to ensure the members have acceptable working conditions. A union that drives a company into bankruptcy just to get every last dime is a flawed union. Like it or not, in many industries management can exploit labor, and therefore unions can exploit the company. Neither extreme benefits anyone, and I never said it did.

I've twice used South West Airlines as an example. Conservatives hate SWA because they fly in the face of every argument you used here. They have a union, they pay every dime of what is truely fair for the work their people do, and THEY MAKE TONS OF MONEY!! Why? BECAUSE HAPPY PEOPLE MAKE MORE MONEY FOR THE COMPANY!!!! Refute that, if you can. I for one would MUCH rather be well paid in a union than poor with principles.

"I don't believe that the way to best serve ourselves as FREE individuals in this country is to depend on unions or the government. It's for us as individuals to make the best life we can for ourselves. ...."

What is the purpose of government? To secure the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That's in the Declaration of Independance, in case you haven't read it.

There can not be freedom without some government. With out the rule of law tyranny prevails, history has shown it. Left to their own devices, men are barbarrians. That's why we need responsible leadership to secure those rights.

The Government has infact FAILED at that task in the past, that is WHY we have unions in the first place. When government fails to act, the people will, in some cases by forming unions. It's the American way. The King screws up, we start a revolution, the government screws up, we form unions.

"To work long enough and hard enough at a job that you are able to move up the ladder and experience a better wage scale. Problem is, most people don't stick with jobs long enough to do that. They bounce from one to the other, hoping to grab the brass ring. This furthers the problems with wages, as employers use turnover rates to depress wages as well. ............. "

Hah!! you JUST CONTRADICTED yourself AGAIN! On the one hand, you say that people should be out there negotiating for that good deal, and if they don't like it they should GO SOMEPLACE ELSE. THEN you say that MOVING FROM job to job IS A BAD IDEA and LOWERS WAGES. Which is it? It can't be both. If it is, then it's a game you can't win unless you CHANGE the RULES. and that's what a union Does.

Going back to my orginal post, I made the argument that it is implicit that an employee who stays with a company will be rewarded for that loyalty, and you disagreed, saying that the company has no obligation to do so, yet here you are SAYING the SAME THING I did: People should be rewarded for their loyalty, and given that opportunity to advance.

"Now back to the unions. Don't sit back and put your fate in someone else's hands to determine what you will make for a living or what kind of, if any, benefits you will receive. No company comes to the table thinking, hmmm, how can we give more to the employees and just take less profit. "

Your argument is equally true whether their negotiating with 1 or 100,000 people. Therefore, who will have the most leverage against the company's arm? The one or the many? Again, you make my point for me. In MANY cases, unions can and do negotiate better wages and better conditions than the individuals can. Especially in situations when the skills are generalized, like in a coal mine, or when the worker is easily exploited, like in the theater or in a safety sensitive field like aviation.

If you have a highly specialized skill, especially one that is in high demand, then, yes, there is no question you can do better one-on-one. BUT you cannot apply that argument to every field of endevour. By your own logic, if a company can take advantage to maximise profits, they will. If a bigger stick is needed to get their attention, then I see no problem using it.

You are not "leaving your fate in someone elses hands." Unions work for their members, they are made up of members, therfore a properly run union is another example of by and for the people.

"When Disney offered the top job to Michael Eisner, do you think he took the first offer, or do you think that he negotiated the best that he could out of Disney?"

You're compairing apples to oranges, Eisner is in a very different position to negotiate. As I said above, he has a specialised skill that is in demand, of course he could do better. This is very different from a fellow who is trying to get a job selling turkey legs.

" Do you think they said, look we'll give you whatever you want, or did they come to the table with a min/max number in their minds? Do you think he would have relied on a union to negotiate his contract? Let's use some common sense out there. "

Yes, please do so.

"And this is about class envy. When people talk about how the middle class (why even mention a "class") if you aren't using class envy as your strategy, and how far it has fallen behind in the last so many years? "

Again, I don't have class envy, I am firmly in the middle class. I am merely pointing out that history is repeating itself in "the new economy" and it would be preferable for everyone to learn the lessons of the last century. Second, anytime you mention labor management relations, class has to come into it. Class systems are a part of human existance. Not that they're good, I think it's one of those things we should try to evolve away from. But like our capacity to do evil things, denying it's existance doesn't mean it doesn't exist, even in an egalitarian society such as ours.

Do you deny that Corporate Feudalisim did not take place in this country in the 19th and 20th centuries? Do you want to create an aristocracy in this country? You claim to love freedom, But I say Tyranny is still tyranny whether it comes wrapped in the "free market" or not.

"And no one answered my questions that I posted last regarding the last contract negotiation, and who voted for it? These questions, once answered, will tell you a lot about what's REALLY going on here. "

I'll answer: The union negotiated it on behalf of it's members. The members voted on it. Sounds like representational democracy to me, OH NO!!! what shall we do? Those radicals!!

"Again, I agree that they should be paid more, but don't think that won't come without a price tag attached. Disney WILL get that money back one way or the other. "
Your right, they can get that money back and more besides because HAPPY WORKERS MAKE MORE MONEY FOR THE COMPANY.

"Face it, they're in business for profit, not charity. I wouldn't give it up either."
Again, you make my point. Because of people like you, people like me support unions. I am NOT expecting charity, and I do want the company to make money. But I also want the company to give me what I'm worth, in exchange I give them my best efforts. It's a square deal.

" As for the quality of help being hired, what are you then saying about the cms that have been doing this for years, or about those who did it for years during the last 30 years? Were they all substandard? How many trips did YOU take to Disney that you disliked due to poor service?"
Frankly, I have noticed a decline over the past 5 years or so. No offense to anyone here, because it's still just isolated bad apples, but their numbers seem to be growing. IMHO, lower wages will make the trend worse.

" You act as though this pay thing just happened overnight. It did NOT!!! This has been the case for many years."
No, the pay did not change, but the economic environment did change radically over the past 4 years. If you don't think it has, then I'll remind you denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

" If most were honest with us, the truth would be that most of the cms who work part time, don't do it for the money, but the benefits. Park entrance, discounted merchandise, resort prices, etc.etc. Now, if that's the case, aren't they then taking the "perks" as a more imnportant aspect of why they work there, rather than the actual pay scale? "

That's true, BUT in this case the union is representing FULL TIME employees. Very few people would want to work 40 hours a week just to save 20% on park passes.

"My Wife and I worked as seasonal cms at a local DS and guess what? We did it for the benes. Not the pay scale. When they said 5.35 I said okay. Now, if I don't like that pay later, who's fault is it? And should I look to a union or the government to swoop in and fight for me? Not at all. Just go do something else."
Again, you're compairing apples and oranges. These are people who have to use this money to pay the rent, not to save on their vacation.

Would you have objected if the government had raised the minimum wage above what you were making?

" What we have here is that people don't want to work for what they agreed to."
NO, what we have are people who are saying that circumstances have changed, and are renegotiating for a better deal, essentially they are taking YOUR advice.

" Ronald Reagan had a problem like this during his administration. Know what he did? He fired them all. Not saying this would be the best course of action in this case, but it does illustrate what can happen when push comes to shove."
OOH, you just landed a jucy one in my yard. Now you are using "play book" rhetoric.

First, some REAL facts about the controllers strike. It wasn't just about pay, like the government said: it was about job protection for whistle blowers, expensive safety enhancements to the airtraffic control system the government didn't want to pay for, and basic working conditions that contraviened common sense and safety.

This is THE classic example of why a union is needed in a safety sensitive industry.

What most people don't realise is this: Regan fired thousands of experienced people, and protected his principles, BUT in order to replace those people, the government was forced to give in TO EVERY demand the original controllers had made, and then some.

In the end, when you include the enhancements, and the cost of training thousands of new controllers, Regan's actions cost the tax payers hundreds of millions MORE than it would have cost to have settled the strike at the table in the first place.

Again, HAPPY PEOPLE MAKE MORE MONEY FOR THE COMPANY.

" I can tell you this, if I lived in Orlando, and were able to work for the Disney parks, part-time, at min. wage, I'd do it. Because I would already have a full time job which would pay the bills and I would use the benes to enjoy great times and merchandise from Disney. "
You are indeed fortunate that you have situation that allows you to do that.

Oh, one question: If everyone did as you said, where is Disney going to find 20,000 part timers that are available 9-5 Monday through Friday? And where are those people going to find 20,000 night jobs in Orlando? Face it, someone has to work at Disney full time. Sorry that was two wasn't it.

"And therein lies the options. Quit or keep on keeping on."
Exactly what they're doing, isn't it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom