Union Recommends Voting Against Disney Contract Proposal

jcraycraft

Original Poster
Saw this post on some of the Orlando news sites.

http://www.local6.com/news/3775984/detail.html

Union Recommends Voting Against Disney Contract Proposal

POSTED: 7:30 am EDT October 1, 2004
UPDATED: 8:03 am EDT October 1, 2004

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The union representing almost half of Walt Disney World's 53,000-person workforce recommended that members defeat a contract proposal when they vote on Friday.

"It will be a recommended no-vote," said Joe Condo, who is heading negotiations for the Service Trades Council Union.

The union represents workers ranging from hotel maids to park ticket-takers to the workers who play costumed characters such as Mickey Mouse.

As a rule, Disney officials don't comment on contract negotiations.

Union officials oppose the elimination of some overtime provisions, a significant increase in the cost of health care insurance and a proposal to eliminate a pension plan for new hires, offering a 401K plan instead.

Starting minimum wage in the first year of the three-year contract would increase 10 cents to $6.80 with 10 cent increases in each of the next two years.

Condo said a strike isn't being considered but that it hasn't been ruled out in future votes.

TheDisneyGirl02

Good for them! I hope they do vote down the contract! Eisner's getting hundreds of thousands of dollars and they can only afford to pay CM $6.80 an hour? That's for the birds!

My good friend who is in the union said that if the contract goes through, with paying for the health insurance for herself and her daughter, she would only bring home about $100 a week. I think it's terrible!

TheDisneyGirl02

Atta83

I think they need to think on this a little more, instead of Eisner cutting himself nice checks....

TheDisneyGirl02

Atta83 said:
I think they need to think on this a little more, instead of Eisner cutting himself nice checks....
Couldn't have said it better myself! My friend has been with the company for over 5 years and is at the top of the pay scale and would only be bringing home $100 a week? There's something seriously wrong about that...I think Walt would be so embarrassed with what Eisner has done to HIS company.

TheDisneyGirl02

Atta83

TheDisneyGirl02 said:
and would only be bringing home $100 a week? There's something seriously wrong about that...I think Walt would be so embarrassed with what Eisner has done to HIS company.

TheDisneyGirl02

I agree with you on that! I think its sad that this is all people bring home due to issues after the insurance is taken out! But as I always say money is the root of well some evil not all..

PhotoDave219

It al depends on whether Disney wants quality. If you pay a quality wage, youre going to get quality results. Me, I'm not covered by the Union Contract (I'm in O&T) BUT i fully support the union and its battles. Disney needs to recogunize that people need to at least afford the cost of living in the surrounding area rather than quipping that their employees need to manage their money better.

Dizknee_Phreek

PhotoDave219 said:
Disney needs to recogunize that people need to at least afford the cost of living in the surrounding area rather than quipping that their employees need to manage their money better.

Has Disney said that their employees need to manage their money better? Or have they just insinuated that? Either way, how unsympathetic is that? :mad:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
PhotoDave219 said:
Disney needs to recogunize that people need to at least afford the cost of living in the surrounding area rather than quipping that their employees need to manage their money better.
If they actually have come out and said that, I would demand the head of whoever said it. That is a very insulting and degrading remark. Just another low blow by Disney. Very sad.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Let's look at some things

First of all, let me start by saying that I am no fan of Mr. Eisner. Having said that, I'm sure he isn't sitting at the table for negotiations on this, but does have representatives there for him. This isn't to dismiss his responsibility on the issue, but rather to illustrate this point. We all have to, at some point, take Michael Eisner out of the equation. Instead of just automatically blaming hin for everything, look at the entire situation in more of a big picture view.

For example, those who work at Disney do so of their own free will. If you don't like the pay, work somewhere else. And please don't tell me there aren't any other jobs out there. Yes there are. Secondly, if you join a union workforce, you are then at the mercy of that union and their leadership. In other words, you are allowing your life to be controlled by union leaders. If
they say they are voting down a proposal, there is little you will be able to do about it, as most will follow the advice of that leadership. Having lived in WVA for several years, I learned that while unions at one time served a great purpose, that they have become nothing more than a way for those at the top of the food chain in those unions to become very rich, at the expense of those actually in the union, paying the dues. I'll cite 2 examples of coal mine union strikes that took place in the late 80's in our area, both of which crippled the town we lived in. As the coal mines go, so go the towns the miners live in. In both cases, within the 1st month of the "recommended" strike, the union leadership came to the members and quoted that they would be broke within the next month, and therefore, wouldn't be able to pay the members. This from a union of 50,000 members, collecting more than 180-200 from each member each month. Tell me how that's possible. It taught me that the only ones making money were the union leaders. I noticed that they didn't have to stand on the picket lines, or apply for welfare and food stamps to feed their families.

What Disney may have offered with respect to the medical insurance may not be fair, but it's a by-product of the problems being experienced in the medical field today with respect to lawsuits, and malpractice insurance. The company I work for currently, about a year ago, doubled their premiums. No one likes to have to do these things, but when the cost to your company is raised, what are you supposed to do? Remember, companies are in business to make profits. Yes, Mr. Eisner makes too much money. But that's not the issue here. That's a seperate issue, to be considered by the board that decides his salary. And for the 401k, while it may not offer the benefits that a pension plan does, and is more risky to the holder of the plan, is a better way for the company to improve its bottom line. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it. Lastly, I do believe that the minimum wage should be higher, but again, not their fault. Disney works within the same guidelines as any other business. If the "market" value for the job is 6.80, then guess what they are going to offer? Is it "right" or "fair"? Probably not. But they aren't wrong for doing it. It's a business. If they offered more, it would be great, but it would also increase costs to the guests. Again, it's about making profits. Don't expect any business to come out and say, "Hey, we've decided to make less profits this year!" We're going to lower prices while raising wages. How long do you think the guy with this idea would last?

I'll close by mentioning a situation at work yesterday. One of the Vice-Presidents of our company was let go yesterday. Seems he wasn't bringing enough business in. Now, is it his fault more people don't walk thru the door?
NO!!!! But someone has to be held responsible. Again, not fair, but IT'S A BUSINESS.

tigsmom

HennieBogan1966, your post is very well written and thought out, you make some very good points, however, I'm sorry the contract that Disney has put on the table is insulting to all who are covered by it. You have to pay your employees a living wage and this offer does not come close.

Atta83

You can live off disney salray but not very well. I mean you have up to two to three ppl living in a one bedroom to afford rent and utilites, but thats not even putting in the cost of food, gas, and other things. I think its sad when Dave and I were looking for apartments asking them what kind of discount they give to Disney employees. There is no way in heck you can live off of making $6.80 an hour there is no way. I mean they bumped up some college program wages just so they could make their cost of living, why not do this for the full time, part time, and seasonal people?

PhotoDave219

Here's a better question. You say "What is the fair market value of the job"? Well I ask you, what is the fair market value of the quality and guest service that Disney provides to you and your family?

TheDisneyGirl02

PhotoDave219 said:
Here's a better question. You say "What is the fair market value of the job"? Well I ask you, what is the fair market value of the quality and guest service that Disney provides to you and your family?
Very good point. I think all of the CMs that I have come across deserve a lot more money than they are being paid. Nobody is forcing them to stay there, but it's a job and who wants to leave a job and start back at the bottom again? Money is money and the CM's deserve more of it regardless.

TheDisneyGirl02

Yen_Sid1

The union is only as strong as it's membership. And in a right-to -work state, where union membership is optional, they are very weak because employees are only looking out for themselves, not for everybody as a group.

Look at it this way, the most powerful option the union has is to go on strike. So if the Disney union members vote for a strike, How many many employees would actually go on strike? Maybe 10-20% at the most. WDW will still run, they will just pay more overtime that is all. So that is not good for the union membership. However, if there was 100% participation in the union and 100% would strike then that would shut down WDW. Disney would be really hurt by that in more ways than one. So that would be an effective strike.

But Disney knows that also, so they actually have people tracking union participation. Like during union meetings, how many cars are actually in the parking lot. So if union paticipation is low, Disney has more power and give really low-ball offers on the next contract. So you can stay and fight for your rights and your company or you can leave and find other company that gives more more money and better benefits. But people who don't participate or vote on the contract have no reason to complain!!

Atta83

How can some pepole participate in the meetings and such if they work during that time? I am just saying...

General Grizz

VOTE "NO!"

Management is ONLY SEEING THE GREEN.

You just can't get a good living off being a Cast Member anymore. Yet, it is the Cast Member that embodies the true magic; it is they that make Disney magical, not Eisner and his tag-a-long board.

Treat your cast RIGHT. Show RESPECT. Save that pension.

It is still sad to hear about the animators who created Stitch to be on the street. . . or the Dreamfinder roaming around Central Florida. Disney management has no heart. Vote "no."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom