Union Recommends Voting Against Disney Contract Proposal

niteobsrvr

PhotoDave219 said:
So since Disney doesnt want to do right by its workers, does that mean the CMs dont have to do right by the guests?

That would be like a work stoppage in a way wouldnt it? Not really a strike, just a situation where everyone shows up to work and does nothing at all.

It might very well be time for more drastic measures in this town. No one is going to substantially increase wages around here until the large employers make it enticing for people to leave their present jobs and come work for them while still being able to afford a house, car, etc.

Did anyone see the article in the Sentinel a few weeks back about the DIsney bus driver who lives in single hotel room with his wife and children? I don't remember the entire article but it seems that they had some perosnal issues that kept them from easily getting and apartment. But, generally speaking anyone can get an apartment in this town if you have enough money to put up front. But you wont have that kind of money, working for Disney, even you and your wife both work there.

tigsmom

PhotoDave219 said:
So since Disney doesnt want to do right by its workers, does that mean the CMs dont have to do right by the guests?

Why would you bring yourself down to their level?

niteobsrvr

Yen_Sid1 said:
That's right!! That is why everyone should join their union and participate.

For years, the unions that represent Disney employees haven't been able to solve these problems even with increasing membership. It takes effective leadership and a plan to tackle a giant and the service trades council never seems to have either.

PhotoDave219

As a CM, all i want is enough money to pay the rent, pay my bills and eat. I'm not looking to make a zillion dollars working for Disney, HOWEVER when the CEO gets annual bonuses in excess of 10 million dollars, the company can afford to pay its front line employees a bit better.

niteobsrvr

PhotoDave219 said:
As a CM, all i want is enough money to pay the rent, pay my bills and eat. I'm not looking to make a zillion dollars working for Disney, HOWEVER when the CEO gets annual bonuses in excess of 10 million dollars, the company can afford to pay its front line employees a bit better.

I do not believe the bonus subject is relevant as the amount is actually almost immaterial by accounting stadards for a company with Disney's revenues.

The job has a huge amount of reponsibility and public scrutiny. As one who has worked in the upper eschelons of fortune 500 companies, I find it amazing that there are people out there who would even take a job like CEO once you realize what it entails. If the VP's I worked with are representative of executives in general, they are lucky to spend one weekend a month at home. They never work just 8 to 5 and their "free" time is often taken up by socializing that is directly related to business. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

We have to remember that we each choose our paths in life and are compensated in a manner that others deemto be fair for the position. Eisners salary is not that astronomical and his bonuses are his if he meets the predetermined criteria which he has or they aren't paid at all as has happened on occasion.

You ahve to keep in mind that 10,000,000 doesnt go very far. If you break it down, thats $192,308 per week to be spread around. That amounts to about $3.50 per week per WDW cast member (assuming 55 thousand employees). Imagine if we took into account all ofthem employees worldwide. It would be even less. About $1.50 of that amount would then go for employer taxes and the emplyee would pay about $0.70 in taxes and benefits. That leaves $1.30 for each emplyee to take home.

TURKEY

I'm not wasting my money that I need needlessly on a union that's going to about the same thing for me now as it would if I were in the union.

SpaceRacer2003

TURKEY said:
I'm not wasting my money that I need needlessly on a union that's going to about the same thing for me now as it would if I were in the union.

I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to thier opinion... but what your saying is that your future is not worth the price of a combo meal at your favorite fast food place.

If you are willing to just take what is given to you, be my guest, but there are several thousand people that are working and willing to do what it takes to ensure a brighter future. Feel free to ride our coat tails into the future, but remeber by not being a voting member, you get what we choose to accept (ever wonder how the two-tier system go passed, the senior people were the ones that went and voted, so the junior cast that chose not to vote got screwed...).

PhotoDave219

niteobsrvr said:
We have to remember that we each choose our paths in life and are compensated in a manner that others deemto be fair for the position. Eisners salary is not that astronomical and his bonuses are his if he meets the predetermined criteria which he has or they aren't paid at all as has happened on occasion.

You ahve to keep in mind that 10,000,000 doesnt go very far. If you break it down, thats $192,308 per week to be spread around. That amounts to about $3.50 per week per WDW cast member (assuming 55 thousand employees). Imagine if we took into account all ofthem employees worldwide. It would be even less. About $1.50 of that amount would then go for employer taxes and the emplyee would pay about $0.70 in taxes and benefits. That leaves $1.30 for each emplyee to take home.
Whatever. I'll leave it like this - I spent my day off working for a major publication, just lugging a guys bags around and made more money then i do in my normal workday at WDW. And i had more fun doing it.

niteobsrvr

SpaceRacer2003 said:
I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to thier opinion... but what your saying is that your future is not worth the price of a combo meal at your favorite fast food place.

If you are willing to just take what is given to you, be my guest, but there are several thousand people that are working and willing to do what it takes to ensure a brighter future. Feel free to ride our coat tails into the future, but remeber by not being a voting member, you get what we choose to accept (ever wonder how the two-tier system go passed, the senior people were the ones that went and voted, so the junior cast that chose not to vote got screwed...).

You know, I couldn't have pointed out this particular flaw with unions especially the one at Disney and said it any better. The idea behind the union was to give everyone a voice in an organization that looks out for the best interests of all of its members. Unfortunately, much like you pointed out that doesnt happen. The senior folks are only in it for themselves and couldn't be more unconcerned with the plight of the junior members.

So does it really make any difference who votes and who doesnt? What is the break out in terms of seniority? How many people are in the union that have worked less than 5 years vs more than 5? Is effective recruiting being done? It seems to me many new cast members fail to see the value in the union system when it doesnt effective represent them anyway.

After viewing this seniority system at work at Disney, I also noticed that it is the senior members who work less and complain more about how much they work than anyone else.

niteobsrvr

PhotoDave219 said:
Whatever. I'll leave it like this - I spent my day off working for a major publication, just lugging a guys bags around and made more money then i do in my normal workday at WDW. And i had more fun doing it.

This is not intended to be sarcastic even if it comes across that way. I would say given your statement that pursuit of such an occupation would be a good thing for you. However, my guess is the work is neither steady nor offers benefits.

I felt the same way as you do about wages at Disney when I was fulltime there. I still feel they should pay better. One of my roommies who has been a fulltime bus driver at Disney for 4 years now, makes $9.62 an hour with a 36 hour work week. That doesnt sound to bad until you look at the fact that he has to have some dental work done and the total bill comes to $2200 of which the insurance only covers $1000. This is relatively routing dental work too (root canal and crown). Where does this man find $1200 bucks and still pay the rest of his bills too. Even Disney's benefits aren't that great anymore.

If you read the rest of my posts, you will see that I feel something needs to drastically change here in Mouseville. People making 7 to 12 dollars an hour on average for a 40 hour work week are not going to be able to hold on much longer in this town without becoming receipients of food stamps and public housing.

SpaceRacer2003

niteobsrvr said:
You know, I couldn't have pointed out this particular flaw with unions especially the one at Disney and said it any better. The idea behind the union was to give everyone a voice in an organization that looks out for the best interests of all of its members. Unfortunately, much like you pointed out that doesnt happen. The senior folks are only in it for themselves and couldn't be more unconcerned with the plight of the junior members.

I agree to an extent, as you pointed out the junior members or newer cast who are not members may not see why they should either join, or participate in the union. I'll put it this way...

Why do the senior members lookout for themselves and not the others???

Why am I so passionate about it???

We care, easy answer.

Not to say the others don't care, but if they are not going to put the effort into voting (took longer to find a parking spot then to vote BTW), or attending a meeting to make their opinions known, then it becomes the overall opinion that they are happy with what they are being given.

If they are happy then why not focus your efforts on those that are not. If your a senior CM and after 10 years your making $13.00 (and thats a stretch) why not fight for a raise, the same stands true if your a 3 year CM making $7.00 its your right, but if you don't stand up for it, then you will get overlooked.

It reminds me of political elections, where those who don't vote complain loudest about the outcome.

PhotoDave219

niteobsrvr said:
If you read the rest of my posts, you will see that I feel something needs to drastically change here in Mouseville. People making 7 to 12 dollars an hour on average for a 40 hour work week are not going to be able to hold on much longer in this town without becoming receipients of food stamps and public housing.
Yes, i agree things must change. Drastic change is needed. And i know about the benefits, i just had to shell out $115 after my ankle got messed up. Thats what wasnt covered....

TURKEY

SpaceRacer2003 said:

Maybe so, but there are many more thousands that aren't willing to strike, even thousands in the union that won't. How many everyday CM's are going to be able to afford a strike?

I don't think a majority of the union members will even strike more than 1 day. There's plenty of CM's not in the union that would be willing to work OT and lots more people that would like a job.

The Disney union is weak. There's never been a strike, I doubt there will be. If there ever is, I'll join the union after that, if there is still a union around.

SpaceRacer2003

TURKEY said:
The Disney union is weak.... If there ever is, I'll join the union after that, if there is still a union around.
So much for strength in numbers.
TURKEY said:
How many everyday CM's are going to be able to afford a strike?
How many can afford to continue working & living at a 1998 pay scale in 2007(the proposed expiration on the new agreement), unless there is something Disney can do to curb inflation and the cost of living...

TURKEY said:
There's never been a strike, I doubt there will be.
Correct... there has never been a strike, why?? Because there is a clause in the contract regarding work stoppages & strikes. Currently the agreement which lapsed in May has been extended first through July, and then extended again. An additional extension of the agreement would need to be declined in order for an "official" strike to happen, at which point in time you are essentially working without a contract.
Sure people would love to work the open shifts caused by such a stoppage, but think of this there would be not contract, with no agreement, you could work the hours as straight time since they are not bound to pay the OT until you hit 40 hours. Without a contract there is no limit to the part-time and seasonal utilizations, so maybe you wouldn't get those hours they could and would (since they want to already) work their cheaper labor more. And for there are lots of people who want a job, companies tend to have trouble convincing people that this is a great place to work in the middle of a work stoppage.

DisneyWood

good question

PhotoDave219 said:
Here's a better question. You say "What is the fair market value of the job"? Well I ask you, what is the fair market value of the quality and guest service that Disney provides to you and your family?

That alone is worth quite a bit. I wouldn't mind being charged a little more per ticket or room per night to help pay the salaries of these employees that go the extra mile to make sure that our visit was the best it could be. Now, if they decided to raise prices across the board, I highly doubt that the extra revenue would go to the hard working employees, even though it should.

Good question though. You have to pay a nice wage to get the quality personnel into the right position. That is what makes WDW unique. That is what the company was founded on, not on the bottom line value for the shareholder.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Walt & Roy didn't even take a salary when the times were tough, just to keep the dream alive. Why doesn't the current leadership (not just Eisner) learn from their predecessors. How much money is enough for a person? It is time to reward the hard working employees that actually run the parks and come into contact with the guests. This doesn't happen in the board rooms. I, too, grow tiresome of seeing the ridiculous bonus' CEO's receive because the company did well. Why did it do well? I think the employees have something to do with that.

As for the union, I have never been a part of one and don't plan to ever be. I think that, for the most part, they are outdated and they don't really protect the employees like they use to. But again, this observation comes from watching the news and reading articles. So, I may not be getting the entire picture, which is extemely likely..

11 days to WDW :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Yen_Sid1

TURKEY said:
Maybe so, but there are many more thousands that aren't willing to strike, even thousands in the union that won't. How many everyday CM's are going to be able to afford a strike?

I don't think a majority of the union members will even strike more than 1 day. There's plenty of CM's not in the union that would be willing to work OT and lots more people that would like a job.

The Disney union is weak. There's never been a strike, I doubt there will be. If there ever is, I'll join the union after that, if there is still a union around.

The union is as strong as its members, there is strength in numbers, a strong union has many members. A weak union has few members. Everyone who doesn't join the union just weakens it more.

A strike is actually a lose/lose proposition. The people lose money and the company loses money. The company doesn't want a strike either, but if you have a weak union and no threat of a strike. Why should the company give you anything different anyway? Are you just hoping for the goodness of management?

I have worked at union jobs and non-union jobs and I definitely prefer the union jobs where at least everything is written down and raises are negotiated ahead of time. In a non-union job they will give raises when they feel you need one or may never give you one.

PhotoDave219

TURKEY said:

Brent, im not sure if you get it. Its solidarity - One man alone, asking for a raise gets you nowhere. 5000 people collectivly asking for a raise will.

This isnt about strikes, its about collective barganing. There's never been a strike at WDW because there's a no-strike cause in your contract. Disney will never let that happen.

What the union is attempting to do is to Get better wages and create better working conditions for everyone, including those who feel the union has no use. Unfortunetly, its CM's with your attitude that seem to drag everyone down.

FT & PT people's hours are being replaced by more and more CPs. FT people are having their hours cut as far back as 30 hours a week. People just cant afford to live on 1998 wages in 2004. The costs of health insurance continue to skyrocket.

And Disney seems to waste money everywhere (DCA, DLP, ABC, etc) yet doesnt seem to want to spend it on the people who make the magic and keep the guests comming back.

If you're happy with the way things are, by all means, sit back and take it. Or you can stand up with everyone else and tell management youre not happy and you demand a wage thats on par with the cost of living.

SpaceRacer2003

PhotoDave219 said:
If you're happy with the way things are, by all means, sit back and take it. Or you can stand up with everyone else and tell management youre not happy and you demand a wage thats on par with the cost of living.

AMEN !!!!

BwanaBob

PhotoDave219 said:
Or, get another job that is not union...
visit Disney like the rest of us...
and probably make twice as much, if not more, than what you're making now.
...with better benefits!
...so you CAN live.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom