Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
Threads like these make this board look like amateur hour, there's plenty of other places I can go to see unfounded rumors like this, can we close this thread?
I'm sorry, but if my thread bothered you. You could always go read another.
I simply asked if anyone of the "insiders" on this forum heard about Uni possibly hoping to acquire DC. That's it! I just asked... it technically isn't even a "rumor" because it was just told to me by someone in regular conversation.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Marvel was not a rush job. The deal was signed in 1994.
Considering it went from IP to reality in the same time frame it took for NFL, Id say they probably tossed a lot of resources at it.

But, again, my point was that they needed to do something with the IP. Again, Disney isn't under that same pressure to push it out. I'm sure they will, certainly overseas, but domestically, I don't expect much anytime soon. And, as a result, I don't think they have any interest in taking the IP away from Universal Florida. At least not for another decade or two...

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
These topics are always a huge deja vu read. Sometimes I have to check the dates on the post to make sure its not just an old post that got bumped :p

No...Disney will not buy Marvel park rights for orlando. Why would they?

No...Universal NOR Disney is getting LOTR. The Tolkein family would have to agree, and they have been very public about how much they HATE the Movies and HATE Disney just as much. (And not to spark any sort of "blue sky" rumors here, but remember P.L. Travers hated Disney as well, and she still signed off to them on Mary Poppins....but that was a far different non-movie version circumstance)

Yes...Avatarland seems odd to all of us to build, and in a sense we are all correct in thinking it was a poor choice. Will that stop any of us from going to check it out? Anyone? Cool.

I think that about covers the usual merry-go-round that these threads typically bring.
I started this thread. But in my previous post, I've always said, I would not want to see Marvel come to Disney. I think it not only fits Uni better but I think that what Uni would do with it is far better than what Disney would.

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the draw of LOTR! IMO I don't think it has staying power. Similar to my feelings about Avatar.

GiveMeTheMusic

Spiderman is good... greatest attraction ever? ehh... I think now that Uni also has Transformers, that parting with Spiderman wouldn't be so bad.
Then again, if there was any truth to this (you know, Uni trying to obtain DC rights) then I'm sure they could just give Spiderman a quick refurb under another superhero name.

Uni is not seeking the DC rights, which are held by Six Flags (though I'm not sure if there are regional distinctions - I was under the impression that it was a nationwide exclusive due to the number of Six Flags parks).

DC was considered when IOA was being planned, and obviously, that didn't pan out, and it's not happening now. Uni and Disney are perfectly content to let Marvel stay at IOA in Florida. Disney sure as hell isn't interested in spending money on park presence for the IP, and they honestly view Uni as insignificant, a mistake they will pay for.

While there were serious plans for an Iron Man E-Ticket at Disneyland that were canned, Disney has yet to demonstrate any real interest in Marvel on the parks side of things, which is a shame. It would make an amazing third gate at DLR.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I started this thread. But in my previous post, I've always said, I would not want to see Marvel come to Disney. I think it not only fits Uni better but I think that what Uni would do with it is far better than what Disney would.

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the draw of LOTR! IMO I don't think it has staying power. Similar to my feelings about Avatar.
A 75 year old series (if you include the Hobbit) that basically has singlehandedly defined the modern fantasy genre not have staying power? Hrm...ok. (Grin)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Uni is not seeking the DC rights, which are held by Six Flags (though I'm not sure if there are regional distinctions - I was under the impression that it was a nationwide exclusive due to the number of Six Flags parks).

DC was considered when IOA was being planned, and obviously, that didn't pan out, and it's not happening now. Uni and Disney are perfectly content to let Marvel stay at IOA in Florida. Disney sure as hell isn't interested in spending money on park presence for the IP, and they honestly view Uni as insignificant, a mistake they will pay for.

While there were serious plans for an Iron Man E-Ticket at Disneyland that were canned, Disney has yet to demonstrate any real interest in Marvel on the parks side of things, which is a shame. It would make an amazing third gate at DLR.
I wouldn't write it off. I suspect they are laying plans for Shanghai and Hong Kong...and maybe Paris. Just not Domestic. Just look at e international box office numbers for the Marvel films. It's insane!

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
A 75 year old series (if you include the Hobbit) that basically has singlehandedly defined the modern fantasy genre not have staying power? Hrm...ok. (Grin)
Like I said, "In my opinion."
People are free to disagree with me.
I'm sure somewhere, there's a pro-Avatar thread with people who disagree with you and believe Avatar has staying power.

PhotoDave219

I wouldn't write it off. I suspect they are laying plans for Shanghai and Hong Kong...and maybe Paris. Just not Domestic. Just look at e international box office numbers for the Marvel films. It's insane!

Disney still holds the international rights. So they can do that without affecting Universal.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Like I said, "In my opinion."
People are free to disagree with me.
I'm sure somewhere, there's a pro-Avatar thread with people who disagree with you and believe Avatar has staying power.
And that's all I did. Disagree.

Don't read any more into it than that.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions. I would never wish otherwise.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster

Honestly, I don't wish to see Marvel in Disney at all. I hate to say it but... Disney E-Tickets would be C or D ticket rides anywhere else.
I love Disney but I find it laughable when they tote Test Track as thrilling just because it's fast.

And I mean the best they could do with Star Wars was a 3D simulator? Really? Star Wars is so popular and they are just sitting on it!

slappy magoo

Honestly, I don't wish to see Marvel in Disney at all. I hate to say it but... Disney E-Tickets would be C or D ticket rides anywhere else.
I love Disney but I find it laughable when they tote Test Track as thrilling just because it's fast.

And I mean the best they could do with Star Wars was a 3D simulator? Really? Star Wars is so popular and they are just sitting on it!
Well, they had Star Tours already and it really needed a refurb were they to keep it. Having decided to keep it, I for one thing they did an amazing job with the refurb, especially considering the variability aspect, where you could experience it repeatedly and, in theory, never see it the same way twice. I suppose the big question is was it worth a refurb versus using the space for something potentially better.

I think most of us hope at some point we'll hear word about an expanded Studios with a Star Wars-themed subsection where Star Tours (assuming they could even expand in that section of the park) would be the "cute kiddie ride" for a series of bigger and better experiences.

PhotoDave219

It just shows how out of touch management is with it's audience…

GrumpyFan

Interesting topic, even if some disagree. I've thought about this too, and wondered if it would ever happen. In my opinion, I don't see it happening in the near future. Universal is executing the terms of the contract faithfully by investing in the properties they currently have in their possession and keeping them fresh. And, with Disney continuing to pump Marvel properties at the movies, why would Universal even consider letting them go? However, with that said, once the current trend and popularity of super hero movies fades and/or these characters' popularity fades, I could foresee them trying to negotiate something with Disney to unload them. For now though, I just can't see any reason why they would give up on them when Disney/Marvel is keeping them in the spotlight. Sure, they pay rolyalties to Disney, but they also pull in a good amount of money and crowds, and until things reach a point where they're no longer a draw, or they have other properties they can promote that are more popular, nothing will change.

Like others too, though, I am disheartened to see how poorly Disney has managed their existing IP. I find it really sad that of all the big properties and characters they have at their disposal, only a few are actually in play at the parks.

Sassagoula-Rvr

I really do believe the person that posted earlier is right...any discussion on a Disney fan site...will invariably turn into a Disney bash thread...sometimes I wonder why you people even visit sites about the parks/resorts...the negativity is ridiculous.

People bash on them for not building anything...then people bash on them for not building the "right" things...the Disney company literally cannot win with some of you.

Steel City Magic

E
I really do believe the person that posted earlier is right...any discussion on a Disney fan site...will invariably turn into a Disney bash thread...sometimes I wonder why you people even visit sites about the parks/resorts...the negativity is ridiculous.

People bash on them for not building anything...then people bash on them for not building the "right" things...the Disney company literally cannot win with some of you.
Ever heard of constructive criticism? i thought the purpose of a discussion board was to discuss the good, bad and indifferent. shouldn't be a praise-fest or the opposite. If Disney isn't doing well, naturally you'll have more people being critical of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom