Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I really do believe the person that posted earlier is right...any discussion on a Disney fan site...will invariably turn into a Disney bash thread...sometimes I wonder why you people even visit sites about the parks/resorts...the negativity is ridiculous.

People bash on them for not building anything...then people bash on them for not building the "right" things...the Disney company literally cannot win with some of you.

It makes me want to crush a grape!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Serious question--why? What has been built at an Orlando Disney park in the last 20 years that makes you go, "wow, a Disney Spider-man ride would be so much cooler than IoA's!"?

There is the ride that I think makes a Disney buyout of Uni's Marvel rights so unlikely. Hulk, Stormforce, and Dr. Doom are easily rebranded. The facades of the buildings are generic enough that most wouldn't need to be changed at all. The Fantastic Four cafe and Captain America diner are easy changes. But the Spider-Man ride would have to be gutted. And it's one of the two headliners in the park (with FJ). No way Uni would sell the rights to Spider-Man for anything less than a mint.

But I could at least conceive of Disney buying back theme parks rights to the Avenger characters. Losing the rights to Iron Man, Captain America, SHIELD, Thor, Falcon, Black Widow, Hulk, and Hawkeye -- Uni could handle that.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
I really do believe the person that posted earlier is right...any discussion on a Disney fan site...will invariably turn into a Disney bash thread...sometimes I wonder why you people even visit sites about the parks/resorts...the negativity is ridiculous.

People bash on them for not building anything...then people bash on them for not building the "right" things...the Disney company literally cannot win with some of you.
I'm not sure if this is referring to my comment specifically or in general. But, I for one enjoy Disney. It is a place I feel emotionally attached to. I think that many of us here feel some emotional attachment to Disney. And sometimes, when we feel that the things that made us love Disney are being taken away, it bothers people.
I went to Disney for the first time years ago at age 4 and so I don't remember the "good ol'" days that many users speak of. But I know that without a doubt, Disney was known for being innovative, having amazing customer service, and providing immersive experiences that take guest to the "world of tomorrow".
For quite sometime now, we have seen other theme parks come forward with technology that surpasses Disney.
We've seen a number of stories of rude CMs (don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of rude guest too.)
We've now reached a point where technology is invading our "vacations" (referring to MDE.)
Where a commercial business (Starbucks) is now sitting on main street USA.

Disney has definitely put more focus on profits than ever before. They are not the same company they once were.
They have put a significant focus on catering to young children lately, forgetting that Disney is supposed to be fun for everyone. That is why so many people are asking when we will see another E-ticket!

I read on another forum that parents who have large age gaps in children (5+ years apart), should make it clear to the older children that Disney is more for the younger children than them. That it doesn't matter how bored the older children are as long as the younger kids have fun.

Where is the Disney that all ages could enjoy?
I did make a statement that Disney hasn't done enough with Star Wars and I stand by that 100%.
I love Disney World but sometimes I question the choices of the company. I know that whatever they build, it will be beautiful but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
What you call "bashing" is like tough love. We are hard on Disney sometimes because we know they can do better.

Last edited:

NormC

Here is a simple question: What incentive does Disney have to change the current arrangement with Universal Orlando?

Disney gets a paycheck from them now and does not have to do anything for it. Why should they give up this income and spend money to add Marvel to a Florida park? They can add Marvel everywhere else without changing any contract terms or paying Universal anything.

BigTxEars

Their is a line between constructive criticism and just plain bashing be it about Disney or many other things in the world. Most people stay on the CC side of that line on here but there a number that have ventured over to the bashing side and don't ever look back.

GiveMeTheMusic

All Disney would have to do to make me happy is play by the rules they set for themselves. They stopped doing that some time ago at WDW in particular - all I want is for them to live up to their own standards. Sadly, that's not happening, and the moment it does, I'll be the first in line to throw roses.

Mr Toad

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the draw of LOTR! IMO I don't think it has staying power. Similar to my feelings about Avatar.
LOTR & The Hobbit have far more staying power than say Avatar, SW and most other franchises...Remember, The Hobbit was written in the 1930s and a couple of decades later for LOTR . They pretty much created the fantasy genre. It will be read generation after generation.

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

There is the ride that I think makes a Disney buyout of Uni's Marvel rights so unlikely. Hulk, Stormforce, and Dr. Doom are easily rebranded. The facades of the buildings are generic enough that most wouldn't need to be changed at all. The Fantastic Four cafe and Captain America diner are easy changes. But the Spider-Man ride would have to be gutted. And it's one of the two headliners in the park (with FJ). No way Uni would sell the rights to Spider-Man for anything less than a mint.

But I could at least conceive of Disney buying back theme parks rights to the Avenger characters. Losing the rights to Iron Man, Captain America, SHIELD, Thor, Falcon, Black Widow, Hulk, and Hawkeye -- Uni could handle that.
Except, the Avengers characters are the hot brand right now... If a kid wants to see Captain America, they have to go to Universal to see him... Granted, they aren't doing anything with the other characters... But, with as popular and as hot as the Avengers are right now, wouldn't make any sense for Universal to give those rights only...

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
LOTR & The Hobbit have far more staying power than say Avatar, SW and most other franchises...Remember, The Hobbit was written in the 1930s and a couple of decades later for LOTR . They pretty much created the fantasy genre. It will be read generation after generation.
I understand. Everyone I know that is into LOTR is older. I personally don't know anyone my age or younger that are into it. Then again, most people I know aren't Star Wars fans either.
But does LOTR fit into Disney Parks anymore than Avatar?

Matt_Black

How so? The limitations are rather lax compared with, say, those on Potter or Seuss-related projects.

Well, considering the success of the movies, why haven't they done anything new with Marvel, a la Iron, Cap, or Avengers? Especially since everyone here goes on and one about how Uni can get stuff done so quickly.

Mr Toad

It's
I understand. Everyone I know that is into LOTR is older. I personally don't know anyone my age or younger that are into it. Then again, most people I know aren't Star Wars fans either.
Its required reading in many schools around the world...I first read The Hobbit in school myself. Yeah I know Disney will never get the rights for this franchise. All I'm saying is that Disney could make some pretty cool stuff with the lore from Tolkien's writings. Plenty of young folks have seen it and love it...TNT/TBS and other cable networks show the LOTR all the time. But you are correct, a lot of the peeps that love it are probably older than you (and me!).

lazyboy97o

If they lack desire to capitalize on what's become one of the most successful movie franchises of all time, then maybe they're not as smart as everyone likes to think they are.
Or they're simply not trying to top pigs with pigs. There is not much more to do with superheroes beyond "we're someplace we aren't supposed to be and the superhero saves us from bad guys" formula already in play at the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. Marvel, pre- and post-Disney, has also failed to go forward with more in the way of themed entertainment.

Matt_Black

Or they're simply not trying to top pigs with pigs. There is not much more to do with superheroes beyond "we're someplace we aren't supposed to be and the superhero saves us from bad guys" formula already in play at the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.

That's a very dismissive mindset. For instance, you could have an attraction where the guests are SHIELD Agents in training. And, it's currently a separate franchise than the MCU, but I keep envisioning an X-Men Danger Room attraction in my head and smiling.

CDavid

All Disney would have to do to make me happy is play by the rules they set for themselves. They stopped doing that some time ago at WDW in particular - all I want is for them to live up to their own standards. Sadly, that's not happening, and the moment it does, I'll be the first in line to throw roses.

Thank You! Well said.

Avatar doesn't fit at Animal Kingdom, but speaking only of thematic appropriateness - and not the IP's longevity, popularity, or extent it lends itself to an attraction - Avatar would fit perfectly well at Hollywood Studios.

As would Lord of the Rings, except it has proven popularity and staying power within a well developed story. Avatar lacks all of those things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom