Uni waiting for Marvel Buyout from Disney?

Matt_Black

It is an amazing, popular, state of the art attraction isn't it?

Even more amazing is that Orlando Tranformers cost next to nothing to build. Definitely a win win for Comcast.

I'm not disputing that. However, you don't get to call superhero films and their fans stupid when defending a park that features an attraction dedicated to what is regarded by many as a film series that is successful in despite of itself.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not disputing that. However, you don't get to call superhero films and their fans stupid
Errr... I think he just did.

what is regarded by many
Isn't that called personal preference? Box office and attraction popularity say its done quite well and that your quoted demographic is in the minority. Either way, it is irrelevant. The Orlando version has more than done what it was meant to. But we digress.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Errr... I think he just did.

Okay, that's fair. The thing is you do that and don't be surprised if someone calls you a hypocrite.

Isn't that called personal preference? Box office and attraction popularity say its done quite well

Okay, and White Castle makes far more money selling their "hamburgers" than a vegetarian fast food place. Does that mean it's better for you?

and that your quoted demographic is in the minority.

A lot of people can pay to see a movie and think it's incredibly stupid. Transformers 2 & 3 have a respective audience ranking of 58% and 56%. "Slightly more than half the people who saw this liked it!" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. While it is still technically a majority, if that's what you're going to try and win your argument with, then good luck with that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not arguing. Couldn't care less really. I enjoyed all 3 films. And that's personal preference. But by all means do carry on. End of the day the attraction did what was intended and more for hardly any outlay. That's what I'm interested in. As for whats a good or bad film who cares? Bores me silly.

Matt_Black

Not arguing. Couldn't care less really. I enjoyed all 3 films. And that's personal preference. But by all means do carry on. End of the day the attraction did what was intended and more for hardly any outlay. That's what I'm interested in. As for whats a good or bad film who cares? Bores me silly.

Well, fair enough. Let's leave other films out of it and look at JUST the statement that started this.

Universal would be wise to avoid following Walt Disney World in chasing such a stupid crowd.

The implication with his statement being that superhero movies and their fans, specifically ones based on Marvel properties, are stupid. While I'll agree that not all of them are gems, many have met with commercial success, critical acclaim, and and audience favor. Even if we just limit ourselves to the MCU films, then the ratio of successful vs. unsuccessful film increases. Of the top grossing film franchises, the MCU is currently ranked #2 behind Harry Potter, and of the individual films within those franchises, Marvel's The Avengers has the highest box office of any of those films. Similarly, for films released in 2014, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is so far the highest-grossing film, though that might well change once the summer movie season begins in earnest. As far as reception goes, on Rotten Tomatoes it has 89% from critics and 94% from audiences, significantly higher than the first Captain America film.

Marvel Studios has built such good will with fans that a trailer featuring relatively obscure characters can spur a 700% increase in digital sales for a 40 year old one-hit wonder song.

Cmdr_Crimson

Found these on MiceAge..Have these Mouse ears made there way to the East Coast Yet?
DSC_9192-X2.jpg

DSC_9196-X2.jpg

While I have seen some Marvel toys at Once Upon a Toy at DTD and an Iron Man Mickey Doll at the Fantasia Store..Has their been more Marvel Merch swimming around inside the parks?

lazyboy97o

I'm not disputing that. However, you don't get to call superhero films and their fans stupid when defending a park that features an attraction dedicated to what is regarded by many as a film series that is successful in despite of itself.
The stupid ones are those unable to distinguish and appreciate different versions of characters; who must have the Marvel Cinematic Universe versions because that is all they understand. That is the stupid audience.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Original Poster
Found these on MiceAge..Have these Mouse ears made there way to the East Coast Yet?
DSC_9192-X2.jpg

DSC_9196-X2.jpg

While I have seen some Marvel toys at Once Upon a Toy at DTD and an Iron Man Mickey Doll at the Fantasia Store..Has their been more Marvel Merch swimming around inside the parks?
I dont believe you will ever see these in WDW until they buyout Uni.

mahnamahna101

I still stick by the theory that MSHI and WWOHP once HE is open are the most well-rounded areas of IOA. Neither of them need an addition unless Doom or DC get torn down/replaced. Personally, I would replace Doom with a ride that one ups Tower of Terror. DC's plot would be great for an Everest sized coaster, Quidditch field, relocated Hippogriff, and potentially a flat ride. Hippogriff's old spot can be the Great Hall coming to Universal Hollywood. However, I know neither of those options are likely :p

The other areas of IOA are lacking somewhat (some more than others) -

Toon Lagoon (needs a "dry" attraction or two since the island is pretty much closed during the summer) - should become Transylvania or Middle Earth
Jurassic Park (River Adventure needs some love, Discovery Center needs to be better utilized with that rumored dark ride, the TE plot needs an attraction, potential Jurassic World overlay)
Lost Continent (as the island with no ride, this truly needs some help. Either a Whoville mini-land (Grinch and Horton), or the rumored Wonka concept)
Seuss Landing (needs an E-ticket of some sort, make Seuss Trolley all-ages somehow, a yearround show, another family dark ride)
Port of Entry (nighttime show)

Marvel and Potter are the most popular areas of the park, so they don't need anything major... however, things like the Spider-Man refurb in 2012 are great! IOA needs some C and D tickets

Matt_Black

The stupid ones are those unable to distinguish and appreciate different versions of characters; who must have the Marvel Cinematic Universe versions because that is all they understand. That is the stupid audience.

Right, and tell me why Uni opted to base Transformers on the live-action films instead of the cartoon? Would the "smart" audience that they cater to not understand?

Matt_Black

Because they built it into a studio park based around films...

Boy, you are really reaching...

Oh, right. That Hagar the Horrible movie they came out with made SO much money that it made me so confused that I forgot about Universal being devoted to solely movies and having nothing but stuff from movies and not, for instance, comic strips that aren't very popular.

Alternatively, there was the Transformers animated movie in 1986, so....

Last edited:

Skip

Oh, right. That Hagar the Horrible movie they came out with made SO much money that it made me so confused that I forgot about Universal being devoted to solely movies and having nothing but stuff from movies and not, for instance, comic strips that aren't very popular.

Is that really all you've got, complaining about a themed display in a much larger theme area? Lot of non-arguments from you, considering Hagar exists in a park that isn't dedicated to a celebration of film. Do we need to talk about how Song of the South is a headliner at Disney, or how for quite a few years a sidekick from The Black Cauldron had its own dining location?

As someone else mentioned, when they purchased the rights to Popeye, they got the rest of the characters as well - hence Comic Strip Lane. Popeye is regarded as the best rapids ride in existence by many, so I guess that was silly of them to do, right?

Matt_Black

Lot of non-arguments from you

I'm going to grant you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just jumping into the thread at this page, because otherwise I can't see how you've seen some of the posts from others and then accuse ME of being the one making non-arguments.

Skip

I'm going to grant you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just jumping into the thread at this page, because otherwise I can't see how you've seen some of the posts from others and then accuse ME of being the one making non-arguments.

I'm going by my interactions with you. We talk about Transformers being based on the films in a STUDIOS themed park, and then instead of actually responding to my point in any meaningful way, you instead arbitrarily pivot to Hagar the Horrible, a property located in a different park with different a different thematic structure... not to mention not even having a film. Instead of actually having a competent discussion, you just seem interested in bashing Universal whenever you see a chance to. You're digressing whenever an argument isn't going your way, and it's making any meaningful conversation with you impossible.

Matt_Black

I'm going by my interactions with you. We talk about Transformers being based on the films in a STUDIOS themed park, and then instead of actually responding to my point in any meaningful way, you instead arbitrarily pivot to Hagar the Horrible, a property located in a different park with different a different thematic structure... not to mention not even having a film. Instead of actually having a competent discussion, you just seem interested in bashing Universal whenever you see a chance to. You're digressing whenever an argument isn't going your way, and it's making any meaningful conversation with you impossible.

You'll note I also cited the equally valid Transformers animated film, which, you know, YOU digressed from as maybe you can't respond to that point any meaningful way. The fact is, whenever I respond with a valid point, it's often met with a changing of the goal posts.

NormC

I can answer that question....because it is bad business. Hear me out. As long as universal has Marvel in its park, disney cannot seriously add any major marvel component to its parks especially in the US because it could seriously backfire on them.
Nope, sorry.
Disney can add Marvel to all of its current parks except WDW. They can use Universal's money to do it. So why would they want to change the status quo? They do not need Marvel in Florida. They have enough IP to keep them busy for decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom