Umm.. What's up with Epcot today? (05/25/14)

ZodIsGr8

Stuff breaks... the cast do a run through at the start of the day and if it happened after then how else would they know something was wrong if a guest didn't inform them? Are they just supposed to know?? Even the best maintained and highest quality equipment can and will break down. So quit using that excuse.
Tell them Figment2005!!!!!!!!

Everyone acts as if it is a major crime if some part of a show or ride at Disney isn't perfect. They are in the middle of Memorial Day weekend and I am sure it is crowded and they need as many rides available as possible. If the issue happened after the morning walk through then there is not much they can do about it.

I really wish all the complaining about Disney would stop and that we could just learn to enjoy it while we are there instead of always nitpicking and knocking the place.

Marc Gil

Original Poster

Everyone acts as if it is a major crime if some part of a show or ride at Disney isn't perfect. They are in the middle of Memorial Day weekend and I am sure it is crowded and they need as many rides available as possible. If the issue happened after the morning walk through then there is not much they can do about it.

I really wish all the complaining about Disney would stop and that we could just learn to enjoy it while we are there instead of always nitpicking and knocking the place.
See, I would be typing this if I hadn't experienced what I just did... It's unacceptable, but I still made the best out of it!

lazyboy97o

Disney was once famous for not having such poor standards.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
How are they damned if they do? And as has been discussed there are plenty of examples of Disney not getting around to fixing problems in a timely manner.
Exactly this. It's not any one of the individual items, it's all of them combined.

I remember riding Splash in 2010, and many of the Chickens in the finale were clearly not working. I know the exact probable issues. Worn joints, loose hoses, cylinders that needed replacing. I used to do maintenance of animatronics. They really are not that complicated once you have a grasp of their systems. Design is harder, but maintenance...not so much.

Anyhow...came back in 2011...the chickens still hadn't been fixed. I even nicknamed one (on the bow, who looked like she was having a seizure) "spazzy".

Came back in 2012...the chickens STILL weren't working, and Spazzy looked like shed finally kicked the bucket.

But, they did major work in early 2013, and for that trip...they looked great. In fact, the whole ride looked fantastic. All of the Brer animatronics in the swamp before you drop into the caves were working, too. Then we drop into the caves...and the pop up groundhogs weren't working. But, I didn't mind that because everything else was great!

My point is...it's not that one thing isn't working here and there. It's that LOTS of things, especially high visibility things, seem to allowed to continue working poorly for long periods of time...many times not getting fixed until the next "refurb" cycle...which, is unacceptable. The state they let Splash get to before refurb was deplorable. Was it still a fun ride? Sure. But a pale experience compared to what it is supposed to be.

So, they spent the better part of two months (maybe even three?) in 2013 bringing Splash back up to standards...but, like the person who buys a new car but never washes it or cleans it out or gets regular maintenance...how long will it take before it's back in poor condition again?

And, that is the issue.

CDavid

Disney was once famous for not having such poor standards.

The decline, neglect, and stagnation of the Walt Disney World theme parks is indeed a crime. Oh, I know it isn't criminal in the legal sense, but how else can you describe the declining maintenance standards from the Disney company we once knew. Once, things like this were far less likely to happen just because of superior attention paid to the operation and upkeep of the various attractions, and the problem would never get as far as being apparent to a guest. If something did happen midday, it was repaired more quickly. Finally, at one time management wasn't afraid to shut a ride down to avoid appearance of "bad show".

The point is we just don't trust WDW anymore that problems such as these will be addressed in a timely and appropriate manner. If the standards were what they should be and once were, we probably would just dismiss many issues, with complete confidence the item would be quickly remedied. That confidence has been lost.

We are paying premium prices for what is supposed to be a premium product, and it is reasonable to expect standards of upkeep and maintenance reflecting such a superior level of service.

gonnichi

When they Finally did do maintenance on Splash Mountains in 2013 did they fix the problem of the actual Mountain falling on people or are the nets still up to catch the falling parts? I haven't been there in awhile as u can tell.

Edit: Are the nets still up under the tree of life at AK and are the paths open yet?

Victor Kelly

What I get from this......
1. We as guests should have no expectation of perfection, as in days past. Trust me I know what perfection WAS at Disney, I have been going since 1975.
2. We as guests are responsible for letting a company know it has problems with its own attractions.
3. We have to notify the company, probably in triplicate according to some people here, before posting about problems.

What I can tell you......
1. As a paying customer, I have every right to want good show. It is what I am paying for.
2. I can expect perfection, because I have seen it, lived it, and witnessed it, at Disney of decades past.
3. The power of the internet is underestimated, and while in person complaints fall on deaf ears, internet complaints and photos and videos actually have great effect. Both at Disney and non Disney companies.
4. There is no excuse for the rampant bad show, deteriorating attractions, and parks when billions have been spenton DVC and other things around the property.
5. If DCA and international parks are doing it right, then it is time for regime change in DCO.

tirian

Thank you for bringing common sense into this thread.

I love Disney too, but I'm not going to defend a company's poor habits. It's an organization made up of thousands of people; it doesn't need anyone to vehemently defend it online.

Exactly this. It's not any one of the individual items, it's all of them combined.

I remember riding Splash in 2010, and many of the Chickens in the finale were clearly not working. I know the exact probable issues. Worn joints, loose hoses, cylinders that needed replacing. I used to do maintenance of animatronics. They really are not that complicated once you have a grasp of their systems. Design is harder, but maintenance...not so much.

Anyhow...came back in 2011...the chickens still hadn't been fixed. I even nicknamed one (on the bow, who looked like she was having a seizure) "spazzy".

Came back in 2012...the chickens STILL weren't working, and Spazzy looked like shed finally kicked the bucket.

But, they did major work in early 2013, and for that trip...they looked great. In fact, the whole ride looked fantastic. All of the Brer animatronics in the swamp before you drop into the caves were working, too. Then we drop into the caves...and the pop up groundhogs weren't working. But, I didn't mind that because everything else was great!

My point is...it's not that one thing isn't working here and there. It's that LOTS of things, especially high visibility things, seem to allowed to continue working poorly for long periods of time...many times not getting fixed until the next "refurb" cycle...which, is unacceptable. The state they let Splash get to before refurb was deplorable. Was it still a fun ride? Sure. But a pale experience compared to what it is supposed to be.

So, they spent the better part of two months (maybe even three?) in 2013 bringing Splash back up to standards...but, like the person who buys a new car but never washes it or cleans it out or gets regular maintenance...how long will it take before it's back in poor condition again?

And, that is the issue.

tirian

Disneyland isn't perfect, but on a recent trip I noticed almost everything worked right. Animatronics were smooth and even the little things, like the fiber optics in Pinocchio, were fully functional and bright.

WDW can't even keep the planets spinning on the Astro Orbitor. It's a simple mechanism that roadside diners have kept up for decades.

What I get from this......
1. We as guests should have no expectation of perfection, as in days past. Trust me I know what perfection WAS at Disney, I have been going since 1975.
2. We as guests are responsible for letting a company know it has problems with its own attractions.
3. We have to notify the company, probably in triplicate according to some people here, before posting about problems.

What I can tell you......
1. As a paying customer, I have every right to want good show. It is what I am paying for.
2. I can expect perfection, because I have seen it, lived it, and witnessed it, at Disney of decades past.
3. The power of the internet is underestimated, and while in person complaints fall on deaf ears, internet complaints and photos and videos actually have great effect. Both at Disney and non Disney companies.
4. There is no excuse for the rampant bad show, deteriorating attractions, and parks when billions have been spenton DVC and other things around the property.
5. If DCA and international parks are doing it right, then it is time for regime change in DCO.

CDavid

it doesn't need anyone to vehemently defend it online.

Yet it has always amazed me how there are always posters, on every Disney message board I've been a part of, who can always be counted on to rabidly denounce any and all criticism of The Walt Disney Company.

We talk about people overdosing on pixie-dust, or more rarely even allegations of company 'plants', but some people seem to take even minor (and completely justified) criticism of WDW quite personally, as though we had insulted their own children. I don't understand it.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
When they Finally did do maintenance on Splash Mountains in 2013 did they fix the problem of the actual Mountain falling on people or are the nets still up to catch the falling parts? I haven't been there in awhile as u can tell.

Edit: Are the nets still up under the tree of life at AK and are the paths open yet?
Yes, they did fix this. As I said, after the refurb, Splash looked fantastic!

tirian

It was too embarrassed to even watch it!

Everyone was so confused. After 5 minutes a group of people started chanting "Bad Show, Bad Show!"
Probably an obnoxious group of CPs! Disney can always count on them to be overly excited about the good stuff and overly ambitious about pointing out the bad. :D

EHR21

So the process is:
1. Go to the internet and read how bad the thing is.
2. Agree that the the parks are going to hell on a skateboard.
3. Pay thousands of dollars to go to the park, use all vacation time making a list of everything that is wrong.
4. Go back home and complaint that Disney forced you to pay all those thousands of dollars so see a bad show, eve though you supposedly knew it was bad to begin with.

Got it!

pipenut

Anyway here's a full list of MAJOR effects that were either offline or broken this evening at Epcot... Hold on...

6.) Windows error message on Nemo projection screen (Bruce Scene)

The "Bruce" Screen of Death.

In all seriousness, I can see how some of the other attractions can break down often and need more frequent repair. Behind the magic is a lot of mechanical bits, and they do weaken over time.

But still. I think Nemo and "Chevrolet" Test Track are a little too new to be suffering from JII / EEA-grade failures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom