Umm.. What's up with Epcot today? (05/25/14)

EHR21

My take is, if you are so passionate about something, don't just run to the internet to complain when you find something wrong, use all the channels available to have your voice heard by the ones with the actual power to do something. Make a difference, don't be part of the problem.

lazyboy97o

My take is, if you are so passionate about something, don't just run to the internet to complain when you find something wrong, use all the channels available to have your voice heard by the ones with the actual power to do something. Make a difference, don't be part of the problem.
How is posting here part of the problem when it has a better chance of making an impact?

jimbo mack

I rode EEA last week, the ride had been closed in the afternoon due to technical difficulties but managed to reopenn at 6pm. Although I enjoyed the ride (nostalgia) this attraction screams for the need for modernisation. The pre show and clips throughout the ride were cringeworthy at times. Having said that all appeared to be in working order, maybe we were lucky.

Interestingly, this was my partner's first trip to the world and out of all the parks, including Universals and Seaworld, he said that EEA and Michael Jackson 3D were the two attractions in need of updates or abolishing. Always interesting to hear a first timer's perspective.

Virtual Toad

We were at Epcot yesterday as well. Didn't ride Figment because frankly no one in our family has any desire to anymore. Did not see any problems with TT and Nemo but we rode those earlier in the afternoon. Perhaps the late-afternoon storms that rolled through caused some electrical problems, it's been known to happen but that's just speculation.

Day-of problems don't bother me as much as long-term issues that desperately need fixing but aren't. Back in the day Horizons was running with all the service lights on and no music one day but we loved it anyway because it let us get a glimpse "behind the scenes."

What bothers me more are issues like running the main theatre projectors on Ellen's Energy Adv at reduced brightness to save money on projector bulbs. Plus the removal of effects like the curtain reveal. (And the snake-like Dino that attacks Ellen has been in B-mode for weeks now.) THAT is ongoing bad show and makes the attraction even more run down than it needs to be.

They've removed literally hundreds if not thousands of maintenance-intensive effects from Epcot over the years to save $$$. The few remaining effects should be kept in pristine working condition.

Kman101

I like how people want to lecture those to make a difference. Nine times out of ten actually saying something means squat to the CM or MGMT. I've had folks shrug at me, I've had folks say there's just nothing they can do. So it makes wanting to say something a little difficult, don't you think? Maybe THEIR attitudes should change. No, not everyone reacts that way but it seems to be a lot more common than some want to admit.

Bairstow

The current Imagination Pavillion, and especially its version of Image Works, summed up in one .gif

goodjob.gif

Cesar R M

20 years ago this would have never been tolerated. Disney used to have extreme quality control and would immediately shut down the ride and have a team working to fix it even if it was just some minor effects much less major show elements. Bad show all around.
I'm still wondering what causes Disney to think its a better idea to let the attraction run damaged/defective than actually fix it.
and also the reasons of why a third party maintenance team is more effective than an in house one.

Poly1974

Sadly, I was watching video of the Mine Train the other day and all I could think was that I hope I get to ride it before the effects in the queue and on the ride start to break down because I know Disney will let it sit, un-repaired, much like Splash Mountain did for years.

tigger1968

I think this thread really hit home for me on a few levels. I keep seeing all the posts and pictures about the redevelopment of Downtown Disney, and the renovation for the hub at MK, or the development of whatever Avatarland morphs into, or the Fantasyland expansion, etc...And that's exciting to see. I really am excited to see the changes that are coming. BUT...I do think that the day to day upkeep and maintenance of so much else in the parks has fallen by the wayside. I personally feel that the powers that be seem to have lost sight of what it means for many people to come to WDW...years of planning and/or saving. For many this is a once in a lifetime trip. To put forth such run down conditions, or dated attractions, or glaring service/maintenance issues is truly a disappointment.

I was able to make it back to WDW twice last year for the first time in 4 years, and I found myself wondering what would Walt, or Roy, or any of the original Imagineers think about some of the challenges facing the parks today? Would they consider this acceptable? Would they have even let these issues happen? I understand the need to be profitable, but I really think that putting off and cutting out needed updates and maintenance will only end up costing more in the longer term. I hope that the people that can influence this see the light and begin moving the parks back to the state they deserve. I fear that we are in for a significant wait...

Kman101

This IS a channel to have our voices heard. It alerts others to the problem. It's also been said that these forums are monitored, or at least read.

How is it a problem posting a clear issue here?

Figment2005

My initial question has still yet to be answered. Did the OP actually mention the problem to a CM or not? The only response I have received was along the lines of "it's not the guests responsibility". Just throwing that out there.

Marc Gil

Original Poster
My initial question has still yet to be answered. Did the OP actually mention the problem to a CM or not? The only response I have received was along the lines of "it's not the guests responsibility". Just throwing that out there.
No I did not... I did not want to cause a scene or waste my breath with something that would ultimately get me nowhere.

I was also taking my little cousins on a family outing... Why waste their time?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
He said he did not (on page 2). I guess Disney is off the hook. I'll remember that maintenance duties are required with purchase of park admission next time I visit.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I am very sad that I can't share the Imagination pavilion I grew up with my daughter.

However, Figgy, even though the current ride is bad, is HER Figgy, and she adores the ride. It's one of only 3 dolls in 4 trips she's ever begged for. She loves the ride, loves the play space (even though it's inferior to the upstairs ones she's never seen) and adores Figgy.

If they changed it (and I hope they will) it would service my memories, and make me happy...but I'm not sure what her reaction would be...
Yep, I hear you.

My almost 18 year old, super cool, jock son loves Figment.

I bought him a Figment knit cap with hanging tassels last fall, and put it away for Christmas.
Sadly, they forgot to remove the dye tag, and our almost-local Disney store was undergoing a major renovation.

Anyway, long story short, he just got it back a couple of weeks ago, and has worn it non-stop ever since.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom