Umm.. What's up with Epcot today? (05/25/14)

Marc Gil

Original Poster
Okay... So Epcot was a HUGE mess today... And I'm not one who bashes WDW all the time because of the way they handle maintenance nowadays (actually I defend them quite a lot, if you haven't noticed), but many of the attractions at Epcot were looking REALLY ROUGH!

The last time I visited was in March, and everything looked pretty fine (completely omitting that Future World is a disaster), I'm talking about effects here.

Anyway here's a full list of MAJOR effects that were either offline or broken this evening at Epcot... Hold on...

1.) EEA pre show projector screens offline (except for one)
2.) Dino in volcano scene attacking Ellen.
3.) Half of the Spaceship Earth finale star projections were offline.
4.) Imagination "machines" did not function properly
5.) All Test Track Sim Car comparison screens were offline.
6.) Windows error message on Nemo projection screen (Bruce Scene)

WHAT IS GOING ON AT EPCOT?!

I didn't complain to guest services... I wish I did, but what could I do? I have no power... What will I get out of it? It'll just be a waste of time.

And yet I spend over $400 on an annual pass...

Maybe it was just a bad day or bad timing?? I have never seen Epcot look so decrepit..

Either way, this is totally unacceptable...

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Okay... So Epcot was a HUGE mess today... And I'm not one who bashes WDW all the time because of the way they handle maintenance nowadays (actually I defend them quite a lot, if you haven't noticed), but many of the attractions at Epcot were looking REALLY ROUGH!

The last time I visited was in March, and everything looked pretty fine (completely omitting that Future World is a disaster), I'm talking about effects here.

Anyway here's a full list of MAJOR effects that were either offline or broken this evening at Epcot... Hold on...

1.) EEA pre show projector screens offline (except for one)
2.) Dino in volcano scene attacking Ellen.
3.) Half of the Spaceship Earth finale star projections were offline.
4.) Imagination "machines" did not function properly
5.) All Test Track Sim Car comparison screens were offline.
6.) Windows error message on Nemo projection screen (Bruce Scene)

WHAT IS GOING ON AT EPCOT?!

I didn't complain to guest services... I wish I did, but what could I do? I have no power... What will I get out of it? It'll just be a waste of time.

And yet I spend over $400 on an annual pass...

Maybe it was just a bad day or bad timing?? I have never seen Epcot look so decrepit..

Either way, this is totally unacceptable...

that sounds awful.. even worse with the windows error o_O

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

You could pretty much take any photo of the current Imagination pavilion and call it an epic fail.

Pretty much my reaction when I first rode the thing. I didn't know about the original "Journey", and had read all kinds of positive reviews about it, so when I rode the current version I was all:

th

I could not understand why that -poor ride had so many fans. And then I learned the terrible truth, and saw a video of the original. I loved that version. I love Dreamfinder and Figment and want them back in a new version of the original. As for that malfunction, well, isn't that special.

epic_fail.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Pretty much my reaction when I first rode the thing. I didn't know about the original "Journey", and had read all kinds of positive reviews about it, so when I rode the current version I was all:

th

I could not understand why that -poor ride had so many fans. And then I learned the terrible truth, and saw a video of the original. I loved that version. I love Dreamfinder and Figment and want them back in a new version of the original. As for that malfunction, well, isn't that special.

epic_fail.jpg
I am very sad that I can't share the Imagination pavilion I grew up with my daughter.

However, Figgy, even though the current ride is bad, is HER Figgy, and she adores the ride. It's one of only 3 dolls in 4 trips she's ever begged for. She loves the ride, loves the play space (even though it's inferior to the upstairs ones she's never seen) and adores Figgy.

If they changed it (and I hope they will) it would service my memories, and make me happy...but I'm not sure what her reaction would be...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Stuff breaks... the cast do a run through at the start of the day and if it happened after then how else would they know something was wrong if a guest didn't inform them? Are they just supposed to know?? Even the best maintained and highest quality equipment can and will break down. So quit using that excuse.

Periodic ride throughs for SQ should be done through the day.

Reporting something doesn't always mean anything will happen. I've had CMs who didn't know what I was talking about. And they run the attraction.

I've had some pretty good ones too.

matt9112

Stuff breaks... the cast do a run through at the start of the day and if it happened after then how else would they know something was wrong if a guest didn't inform them? Are they just supposed to know?? Even the best maintained and highest quality equipment can and will break down. So quit using that excuse.

i think the problem is when stuff....breaks on dozens of attractions...ten years ago...and is still broken tommorow...nuff said lower those defensive walls i have an internet trojan horse.

WDWDad13

So what would cause more complaints? Stopping/closing the ride in the middle of the day to fix a show scene or leaving the ride open with a show scene problem until it can be fixed that night?

This is actually a trick question....because people will complain about something even if the rides are operating 100% :)

Marc Gil

Original Poster
So what would cause more complaints? Stopping/closing the ride in the middle of the day to fix a show scene or leaving the ride open with a show scene problem until it can be fixed that night?

This is actually a trick question....because people will complain about something even if the rides are operating 100% :)
When minor effects are offline, I would agree with you to let the attraction stay open, but when major attraction elements and effects are offline (such as the ones mentioned above), they should really correct the issue ASAP.

I know for a fact that this was not a one time occurrence.. I rode JII twice last night just to see if it was just a minor malfunction, the same with Nemo, TT, and Spaceship Earth....

I still can't believe they let EEA run with only one pre show screen working. This completely set me off... :mad:

I'm really hoping that this was just a bad day.. Walt would not be proud..

harveyt0206

I believe that most corporations have developed a mentality of "do more with less". Which always, in my opinion, means that the entity that suffers is the customer. I see it on the small scale of the company I work for, where my Department has been under a hiring freeze since 2008...yep, not one person has been hired since 2008. Not when three people in the department retired. Not even when clientele increased 23% between 2012 and 2013. Instead, we were forced to make it work. If that is happening at my company, I can't even begin to imagine what horrible cost containment decisions Disney is making. They are not investing it their number one resource - Cast Members. They obviously need more maintenance crews and they need a strict maintenance schedule. Epcot traditionally closes around 9:00 each day. Even if you figure in 2 hours to completely clear the park, that leaves you a solid 8 or 9 hours to perform ride maintenance. If Disney isn't willing to invest in new attractions, actual attractions - not restaurants - for Epcot, please at least maintain what we do have. I sincerely love this park and only want to see it shine.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

If its a relatively quick fix close it. Only management can make that call. Or close it to make the attraction show ready even if parts are disabled until close. But 80% of the Ellen preshow down is bad bad show and should be shut no matter.

I successfully reported, explained and had closed DLPs PotC during an afternoon in peak season due to a very very bad show issue that hadn't been detected (god knows how though)

I've also reported a big show issue in ToT that the CM a) was very concerned about and b) had fixed within a half hour.

matt9112

they shut rides down all the time for refurbs.....theres the window to fix things...but no....will they learn if they loose another 4% of the market in a month?

matt9112

If its a relatively quick fix close it. Only management can make that call. Or close it to make the attraction show ready even if parts are disabled until close. But 80% of the Ellen preshow down is bad bad show and should be shut no matter.

I successfully reported, explained and had closed DLPs PotC during an afternoon in peak season due to a very very bad show issue that hadn't been detected (god knows how though)

I've also reported a big show issue in ToT that the CM a) was very concerned about and b) had fixed within a half hour.

take notes everybody.....this guy teaches school.

lazyboy97o

Only one is the result of pride in product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom