Two tourists abducted, robbed after leaving Downtown Disney

Champion

Ok, so heres some world of mouth. My business partner is drinking buddies with a station manager of the local ABC affiliate, WTNH/Newschannel8. The town they live in is about 10 minutes from me, so its getting decent coverage here.

The two victims were actually from North Branford, not Branford, but close enough.

What the station was told was that the victims were trying to ... purchase some 'goods' from the kidnappers, and it went wrong from there. The rest of the story is true enough, but the victims were not completely without fault. It wasn't a random occurrence.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
That was not a well written article. They forgot to get the facts. Where were they when they were abducted? The article said after the leaving downtown Disney and on there way back to the hotel. Was their hotel in Disney or one of the hundred that surround Disney? :brick:

Not excusing the Sentinel or other news gathering organizations ......BUT.....

Usually in stories like these, the reporter is getting their initial information from the duty Public Information Officer with the OCSO. Form there, they usually provide the narrative or affidavid or other supporting public documents.

Since its a Sunday, I'm seriously doubting the scope of information that will come out today on this, or at least until the couple is willing to speak publically. The police and newspapers just dont have the staffing and the manpower to blow this story into the relm of insanity and overblown, paris hilton-type craziness.

Odds are, they wrote what they knew - They didnt speculate as to what could have happened (unlike Fox News). So when you dont have more than 2 or 3 facts, you cant go with more than that because thats all you can prove.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ok, so heres some world of mouth. My business partner is drinking buddies with a station manager of the local ABC affiliate, WTNH/Newschannel8. The town they live in is about 10 minutes from me, so its getting decent coverage here.

The two victims were actually from North Branford, not Branford, but close enough.

What the station was told was that the victims were trying to ... purchase some 'goods' from the kidnappers, and it went wrong from there. The rest of the story is true enough, but the victims were not completely without fault. It wasn't a random occurrence.

It sounded a little like a drug deal gone bad !

wannabeBelle

Thanks for the information Champion!!! Kinda puts a whole new spin on the story huh?? Belle

GO DAWGS!

I was born and raised in a teeny, tiny town in the mountains of Western North Carolina(if you blink while driving through, you'll miss it), and the most exciting things that happen around here are getting a new traffic light(yay, we're now a two traffic light town!)and our Subway just moved fifty feet down the road into a new building(it really is quite nice, you should come see it). Things like this are just unheard of where I live, at least right now anyway. My little town has changed drastically in my 32 years on the planet(especially in the last 10) but we still have managed to retain our "small town vibe".

fizzle75, I used to say the same thing about my alma mater, Young Harris College which is very close to Western NC.:)

I'm so sorry to hear about the kidnapping and robbery. So sad to have a magical vacation so abruptly halted like that.

1st post! Hope I did everything right!

Piebald

Orlando is becoming more and more ghetto....

On the news recently, they said that on International Drive there had been 90 acts of crime (burglary mainly) within 90 days!!

fizzle75

fizzle75, I used to say the same thing about my alma mater, Young Harris College which is very close to Western NC.:)

I'm so sorry to hear about the kidnapping and robbery. So sad to have a magical vacation so abruptly halted like that.

1st post! Hope I did everything right!

Welcome!:wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't think this is a joking matter.

There are several holes in the story.

Foremost of which is, why did it take over an hour between the alleged kidnapper forcing them to withdraw money from the ATM and then driving them to the landfill.

What happened in the meantime?

diddy_mouse

When we stayed at the Holiday Inn back in '04, we would walk to and from DTD every day to catch a bus, and walk back every night. Let me tell you...after crossing the BVB intersection it was *really* creepy. :lookaroun The sidewalk is pretty dark as you head toward the Hilton and my DH and I were glad to see other guests walking besides us. We would always quicken our pace just a little as we got to the Hilton.

I still plan on visiting DTD at night, but I'm glad we don't have to walk back to our hotel. :dazzle:

Dwarful

Wouldn't ANY of the atm's have camera equipment to capture images? Where I live they all have them, the atm's at the banks even have them above the drive up lane to capture vehicle images, and I live in a small town. Also, when the suspects drove away, didn't anyone capture ANY type of license plate info?

I do feel bad for the young couple and hopefully this will help people remember that they are still surrounded by the real world even though they are at WDW. Personally, I haven't been to DTD after dark in over 10 yrs (once we had children we haven't been back).

sknydave

I don't think this is a joking matter.

What would you prefer?

To insist on trying to figure out what resort they were staying at like most others in this thread?

To talk about how the gangstas are invading Pleasure Island?

To play CSI : Disney with everyone else in the thread just throwing out random scenarios?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
the "Gangstas" have been invading all of Orlando for years :rolleyes:

I remember when this city was safe.

mrerk

Premium Member

On the news recently, they said that on International Drive there had been 90 acts of crime (burglary mainly) within 90 days!!

Sounds low to me. With the amount of activity there I would think there would be more than 1 incident per day. BTW, the only bad thing that has happened to me in the Orlando area was when my camera equipment was stolen from my hotel room on I-Drive. This was like 20 years ago and also the last time I stayed offsite.

nyfrenchy

Who agrees with me that adding this BET Soundstageclub to PI was a very bad idea because it attracts that ghetto crowd you used to see at Universal?

Mikester71

WOW! That is kinda scary. My city up here in Canada doesn't get that many in 3 years or more. But then again, our gun laws are way stricter in Canada and my city is just under 100,000 people compared to the millions down there.

Mikester71

I know when we were down there in March of this year, I went to DTD by myself to look for my brother on St. Patrick's Day to have a drink with him in PI. He had come with my wife and the kids and I on the trip, but was going to MK to watch the fireworks for a second time by himself that night first before heading to DTD. My wife and kids just wanted to relax back at Pop Century for the night and I wanted to have a drink to celebrate St. Patty's Day, so me and my bro agreed to meet later in PI.

We never did find each other and I ended up only having one drink before heading back as it was late. I know the crowds give you a false sense of security too(they did for me anyway). Even though I was by myself and felt like a stranger in a strange land, I guess I felt safe because I was a guy of average build and size and was surrounded by thousands of people on my way to the Pop bus stop. This is probably the way most people feel and it isn't necessarily a good thing either. I know for me it is because I come from a smaller city up in Canada where you can walk down the streets at 2 or 3am and feel safe. I can leave my windows and doors unlocked at night and don't have to worry about someone breaking into my home. We should all just pay a little more attention to our surroundings when down there or stay in bigger groups for sure to avoid unwanted attention. :lookaroun

bayoutinkbelle

PhotoDave's take on how local media is getting the info is probably spot on. Speaking from experience (in my area, not Orlando), getting accurate info or any info at all from any public agency on a weekend is a nightmare. If I had a nickel for each time I've been told I'd have to talk to a detective on Monday, I'd be a rich woman.

That said, I still intend to go to DTD while on my trip - day or night. I'll go about my business, hit the bus and go back to my resort. Sad story, but I'm not going to let it change my plans. Very curious to see if Champion's info gets verified. Thanks for the info!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
WOW! That is kinda scary. My city up here in Canada doesn't get that many in 3 years or more. But then again, our gun laws are way stricter in Canada and my city is just under 100,000 people compared to the millions down there.
I've been trying to emigrate to your absolutely lovely, but slightly colder, and much hipper country for about 3 years now :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom