Two tourists abducted, robbed after leaving Downtown Disney

WDW-LUVR

I was at PI drinking last weekend, and I have to say we saw ALOT of security, plainclothes, Disney Security, and OCSD in uniform. I am not terribly uncomfortable at DTD after dark, not like I was when we used to go to Manhattan. There is plenty of security, even in the parking lots. They have the Security things that go up in the air to sruvey the whole parking lot. They also have Security on bikes.

Also, remember that the article states that the couple was walking back to their hotel. They were not locals, they were tourists. They were probably walking back to either SSR or one of the DTD Hotel Blvd. hotels. Seeming as how they were approached by a car, I would guess one of the DTD Hotel Blvd. hotels, which run right along Buena Vista Blvd. There is a huge probability that this actually happened off DTD property, which means the problem isn't with Disney Security or security at the clubs or security at DTD. It's a problem with there being NO security or police presence on BVB down by all the hotels.

I used to work at PI/WS every night until early morning hours, by myself (not in a store or with a group of people). I was more worried about the drunks hitting on me and following me around than I was scared of walking back across BVB to get to cast parking.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: VERY WELL SAID :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Champion

Come to think of it I am quite surprised that they don't have bag security checks at DTD , but like you said ..yet... all in time I suppose..

Too many entrances.

Bag checks are simply an illusion of security. They don't actually provide it.

The first thing to come back to Downtown Disney, should they see this as a major problem, is the practice of ticketing upon the entrance to the PI area at night, instead of at the different clubs.

pescador1f

stop going!!! barely worth it

seems like 10+ years ago that area was more closed off, lately seems like it is wide open for anybody off the street to wander around. after some annoying scumbag was trying to buy or sell weed from me at bongos cuban cafe, i stopped going. area sucks now and one of the best things about a disney vacation is to not be in "the public" , it is supposed to be an escape, not like home!!!! only reason i went last trip was to see raglan road, went around 12 and it was closed, never going back.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Bag checks are simply an illusion of security. They don't actually provide it.

Bingo. Just like the TSA at the airports, the checks provide an illusion of security to a paranoid public. If a person is determined enough, they can get anything through security... and with how "thoroughly" most Disney security CM's I've seen check bags, I'm surprised there hasn't been an incident in the parks already. :rolleyes:

Disney is safe because people believe it is. Disney is also extremely easy to exploit. They have far too many gaps in security, an extremely low number of surveillance cameras dedicated to security and monitored by security, and an image to protect which sometimes means they will not cooperate with police.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
here's a map that shows where they were dumped off compared to Downtown Disney. Please disregard the route on it, that was just the easiest way for me to get the locations :)

Attachments

• sample-abduction-map.gif
    sample-abduction-map.gif
    123.6 KB · Views: 152

JML42691

here's a map that shows where they were dumped off compared to Downtown Disney. Please disregard the route on it, that was just the easiest way for me to get the locations :)
That must have been one terrifying ordeal, that is one long drive to be held captive by abductors.

fizzle75

I feel the same as you, I wouldn't go to DTD or off-site during night hours period. I guess that's why I live in a "Mayberry Town" and just don't feel good in the big cities during the night hours.

I was born and raised in a teeny, tiny town in the mountains of Western North Carolina(if you blink while driving through, you'll miss it), and the most exciting things that happen around here are getting a new traffic light(yay, we're now a two traffic light town!)and our Subway just moved fifty feet down the road into a new building(it really is quite nice, you should come see it). Things like this are just unheard of where I live, at least right now anyway. My little town has changed drastically in my 32 years on the planet(especially in the last 10) but we still have managed to retain our "small town vibe". We are also a very popular tourist destination and over the years as the tourists have poured in they are slowly but surely bringing some of the "bad elements" with them...so, unfortunately, it probably won't be long until things like the kidnapping at Downtown Disney are a very real possibility here.

I guess this all helps to feed my sense of "insecurity" at Downtown Disney.

MAGICFLOP

That was not a well written article. They forgot to get the facts. Where were they when they were abducted? The article said after the leaving downtown Disney and on there way back to the hotel. Was their hotel in Disney or one of the hundred that surround Disney? :brick:

SteveUK

Whilst I would not seek to minimise the seriousness of what was clearly an awful ordeal, I can't help thinking that the worry or sensationalism this is causing is an indication in itself of how safe WDW actually is.

Yes this is awful. But lets think for a moment about the number of people who inhabit and pass through WDW on a daily basis. Then take this in terms of a year and you will have a very big number. Then have a think about the crime rate and the number of incidents that actually occur. I work in law enforcement, and I can tell you that if my area had the same number of incidents per head of population, I would be absolutely delighted. I agree with the comments that visible security is essentially a superficial comforter for an insecure public, but still, the number of incidents in WDW when considering the number of people is still amazingly low. To hear people say they don't feel safe, and they would even let it cross their minds to question the decision whether to go to Downtown at night just makes me wonder that either people are extremely naive, or come from the most quiet, crime free areas in the world. I would like anybody to put their hand up who comes from a safer area than WDW; I am going to work there.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That was not a well written article. They forgot to get the facts. Where were they when they were abducted? The article said after the leaving downtown Disney and on there way back to the hotel. Was their hotel in Disney or one of the hundred that surround Disney? :brick:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...y0610,0,5284631.story?coll=orl-home-headlines
According to the Orange County Sheriffs Office, a man in a black Volkswagen Jetta called out a question to the couple, who were staying at a Disney resort, as they walked through the parking lot at the entertainment-and-shopping hotspot.

wdwmomof3

I can't say that I've ever felt un-safe there, but I'll defintely be more cautious next time I visit...

That's the way I feel too but I have never been to PI. We go to DTD the day that we drive down just to kill some time and shop a little before we hit the parks the next day. We always have our children with us so PI is out for us.

On our next trip, my daughter has already asked if she and her friend could go to DTD at night without us, like this would ever happen because they are only 15 & 16. Thanks to this thread I have something to back me up. :)

I am sorry that this happened to this couple. This is the first time I have heard of anything bad like this happening there. Hopefully it will be the last.

EPCOT.nut

I won't walk down the streets/outside of the parks at at night unarmed. Luckily it is fairly easy to get a concealed-carry permit here in Florida...since I live here I just drive places at night and don't have to worry about walking. I know it is really sad to post here about feeling the need to carry a firearm while "playing" at Disney. Downtown Disney is just not the parks and doesn't feel secure to me. (I've only been there once, however).

Those folks are really lucky they weren't killed! Very sad story. Thanks for sharing and reminding people they need to look after themselves and their loved ones. Even at Disney.

Computer Magic

I feel the same as you, I wouldn't go to DTD or off-site during night hours period. I guess that's why I live in a "Mayberry Town" and just don't feel good in the big cities during the night hours.
I agree. I have not been comfortable leaving DTD after dark. Walking around the shops don't bother me. When we leave or at one time had to walk down the street on the outside DID because of construction, I'm very alert. Also going to the bus stops when they are empty, I find my self on guard. I don't feel that way in the parks or resorts. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom