TTA Changes Name

Testtrack321

Man I can't wait to ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover Blue Line! :brick:

Instead of releasing puffery PR pieces decrying history and tradition why not actually PRACTICE IT.

IHeartArt

Lookit all dis unpleasable people.

You do know that they have the PeopleMover part in big font, right? So that it's the most important thing in the name? People'll just call it the PeopleMover.

It's a name, you guys. You should be happy that they've changed it back, instead of "HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURF IT'S TOO BIG NOW". This isn't a part of Disney's history that they're putting on a T-shirt, or a pin, and trying to get you to pay extra for it due to your nostalgia. It's a token effort to please you guys, and it was cheap. You should be happy you're getting it. Unless maybe you guys wanted them to make it the Wall-E Econo-line Lounge Chair ride or something.

Future Guy

Why would there be a limit to the distance?

For one thing, it moves quite a bit slower than the Monorail. With all the inclement weather that Florida tends to have, from scorching heat to thunderstorms with wind and driving rain, a propertywide open-air transit system that moves at the speed of a lawn tractor just doesn't sound like a good idea. And if you enclose the track and air-condition the whole thing, well then I imagine expenses would start to climb into Monorail territory.

As far as shoehorning it in, if it's kept as an elevated system, it would be a simple addition. There really isn't the weight constraints that the monorail would carry. BGM and interesting facts about WDW/MK/Epcot along the way would be nice too. AND- it can releive some of the need for busses.

I was talking specifically about adding it to EPCOT. If you wanted it to circle the World Showcase lagoon, then the track would have to be elevated pretty high to allow them to raise the drawbridge near China and bring out the RoE globe every day. At that height, it would ruin a lot of sightlines and, I don't know, maybe even be vulnerable to high winds. A hurricane would definitely tear it apart and probably inflict heavy damage on the World Showcase in the process.

Anyway, as long as buses remain the most cost-effective way to move people between parks and resorts, I don't look for them to be replaced by anything futuristic, no matter how cool it would be.

mightynine

All I'm saying is why out of all the things they could've spent money on at WDW, they had to put it to this? The TTA is probably one of the things at WDW that needed change the least. There are countless other things they could've spent that money on that needed it more.

So what other sign should they have replaced?

I am enjoying the generational gap on this one. For those of us who still remember the WEDWay Peoplemover, this change is fine with us, considering most of us never stopped calling it the Peoplemover in the first place.

For those that grew up with the TTA Blue Line, it seems this is the biggest waste of time ever and the name is too long.

(EDIT: I always forget that the Peoplemover is still sponsored, of all things. How long and cheap did Alamo get that deal for...and do they even mention it on the ride?)

Tigger1988

I am enjoying the generational gap on this one. For those of us who still remember the WEDWay Peoplemover, this change is fine with us, considering most of us never stopped calling it the Peoplemover in the first place.

For those that grew up with the TTA Blue Line, it seems this is the biggest waste of time ever and the name is too long.

(EDIT: I always forget that the Peoplemover is still sponsored, of all things. How long and cheap did Alamo get that deal for...and do they even mention it on the ride?)

Agreed with all of this. I seriously cannot believe people have audacity to complain about this. It's not like it took some grand amount of money to change the signage and it's not as if they renamed it "the Monstropolis City Transit" or something related to a Pixar film.

I really think some people here need to know when to pick their battles, or perhaps even lighten up.

It's always been the Peoplemover to me, so this change just makes me smile.

imagineer boy

That money easily could've been used for general upkeep which has been lacking at the parks, such as paint etc.

But no, some overzealous imagineer wanted to use it to bring back pointless nostalgia. :rolleyes:

And there was simply nothing wrong with the TTA. It wasn't broke, so why did they think it warrented fixing?

zweltar

While I have no problem with the name and signage change, it does seem like a rather pointless project.

Being from Chicago, this reeks of a project that happens someone's nephew or cousin needs a little work. :lol:

tenchu

To someone who has never been in the park before 'Tomorrowland Transport Authority' tells them absolutely nothing about the attraction, or even that it is something for them to ride!

It sounds more like the guys that go around scraping the vomit off of Space Mountain.

At least this new name sounds like an attempt to give a little more info.

DDPGambit

I wouldn't be surprised if the name gradually returns to "WED Way Peoplemover".
I agree with the fact that the money spent on this could have gone elsewhere, but let's be honest...how much was really spent here? A few hundred dollars? It's hardly the type of money to impact any serious projects. And with the fact that Alamo sponsors this...they probably footed the "bill" anyways.

Brian_B

That money easily could've been used for general upkeep which has been lacking at the parks, such as paint etc.

But no, some overzealous imagineer wanted to use it to bring back pointless nostalgia. :rolleyes:

And there was simply nothing wrong with the TTA. It wasn't broke, so why did they think it warrented fixing?

Actually, if you were more observant you'd have noticed the general shift in TL from the 90s-era "civic" theme to the current...well...theme, I guess you could call it. Generic tomorrowland. They did away with the idea of an interplanetary convention center, etc, and it makes sense that they in turn downplay the whole faux "transportation system/metroliner" thing with traffic reports and the whole "Now approaching" business, which I DID enjoy...

I always called it Peoplemover. Glad to see the change.

By the way, complaining about them spending money on signs made me laugh, literally. You kids can be so silly...

alphac2005

I don't get it around here. People opine on here about Disney taking away classic attractions, names, etc. So, Imagineers go and change the attraction back to its rightful name, the Peoplemover, and change the narration back to the classic style that was at Disneyland and WDW for years prior to the 1994 incarnation. The vast majority of guests to Disney for the past several decades know it as the Peoplemover, that's a lot longer history than the TTA.

As for Disney could have spent their money better on maintaining the park, well, we have no idea as to why they changed it back to the Peoplemover. Possibly the sponsor, Alamo, saw it to be fit or cast members have heard people refer to it as the Peoplemover for so many years when it wasn't called it "officially" that the suits gave in and made the change so they could call it such.

TP2000

They neglected to mention that Disney introduced them at the 1964 - 1965 New York World's Fair, at the Ford Pavilion and sponsored by Goodyear.

Well, kind of. The Ford Pavilion at the World's Fair used a Disney designed ride system that had more to do with the upcoming Omnimover than the PeopleMover, although it spawned both a few years later. It pushed a long string of cars forward, and they were literally cars, brand new Ford, Mercury or Lincoln automobiles through the Magic Skyway ride.

ford3.jpg

The loading area, a long moving belt that traveled at the same speed of the passing cars, was the direct predecessor to the Omnimover loading system.
023+-+Embarkation+Ramp.jpg

The whole thing was sponsored by Ford. When the PeopleMover debuted at Disneyland three years later in 1967 as a more literal "future transportation system" it was Presented by Goodyear and used Goodyear tires in the track to push the cars forward. The Cast Members wore blue and gold Goodyear jumpsuits, and the Go-Go-Goodyear! commercial jingle played on the speedramps up to the loading area.
PeopleMover.jpg

I think this is a good name change for the WDW PeopleMover system, especially now that it's the sole surviving member of the species!

dixiegirl

"Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover." Good god what a mouthfull.

I honestly don't see the reason for these changes. Why? The TTA was fine the way it was. These seem so unnecessary. :brick:

Our girls have renamed it as "the relaxing ride"!!! Has been that name in our family since the girls were 1 yrs old, its a big favorite of ours!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom