Trouble in paradise officially?

dreday3

I admitted in another thread that yes I have put WDW trips on a credit card before and guess what, I paid it off. Just because you saved the money in the bank beforehand doesn’t make you a better person. Take that crap to the disboards.

Hey, no judgement. I don't put trips on credit cards, but I did put a couch I "needed" on my card.
I mean, what's a credit card for if you don't use it?

Goofyernmost

If anyone wants an alternate adventure to compare with I will offer this. I'm not going to do the research on what an approximate amount of WDW trip cost or time because everyone that is planning a WDW trip will already know what it is going to cost for their specific plans. So this is just for comparison.

In November of 2015 two of us took a four week long trip to Europe. We flew to Paris via Toronto and Iceland. Spent a few days there including a day at Disneyland Paris. Took buses and trains while in Paris to the Louvre and other museums, local must see's and then flew to Venice for a while. We wandered around St. Mark's square, attended a concert in a 600 years old church, gondola rides and great Italian food. From there we took a train to Rome.

Like in Paris we rented a complete apartment for length of stay (a major savings btw) We toured the coliseum, the Roman ruins, did an audience with the pope, toured St. Peters and the Vatican. We used the local subway to make our way around Rome and also took another train to Pompeii for a day trip. And more outstanding Italian food. Among other things we went to the Trevi Fountain and every other touristy thing we could think of before catching another train to the Port of Rome for a week long Transatlantic Cruise back to Fort Lauderdale.

The cruise included Ports of call to Barcelona and Mallorca, Spain, Pisa and Florence, Italy and a stop in the Tuscany area for a wine tasting and pasta meal. Another stop in Toulon, France. Sailed by the Rock of Gibraltar and the last stop, Tenerife in the Canary Islands before heading west to Fort Lauderdale. Killing time waiting for our flights home we took a boat tour of the Everglades. Fantastic trip that cost us $8500 total for four weeks. You guys can do the onsite WDW cost math yourselves.

EDIT: I added to the cost an item or two that I had forgotten, but that should do it.

Last edited:

CosmicRays

If anyone wants an alternate adventure to compare with I will offer this. I'm not going to do the research on what an approximate amount of WDW trip cost or time because everyone that is planning a WDW trip will already know what it is going to cost for their specific plans. So this is just for comparison. In November of 2015 two of us took a four week long trip to Europe. We flew to Paris via Toronto and Iceland. Spent a few days there including a day at Disneyland Paris. Took buses and trains while in Paris to museums, local must see's and then flew to Venice for a while. We wandered around St. Marc's square, attended a concert in a 600 years old church, gondola rides and great Italian food. From there we took a train to Rome. Like in Paris we rented a complete apartment for length of stay (a major savings btw) We toured the coliseum, the Roman ruins, did an audience with the pope, toured St. Peters and the Vatican. We used the local subway to make our way around Rome and also took another train to Pompeii. And more outstanding Italian food. Among other things we went to the Trevi Fountain and every other touristy thing we could think of before catching another train to the Port of Rome for a week long Transatlantic Cruise back to Fort Lauderdale. The cruise included Ports of call to Barcelona and Mallorca, Spain, Pisa and Florence, Italy and a stop in the Tuscany area for a wine tasting and pasta meal. Another stop in Toulon, France. Sailed by the Rock of Gibraltar and the last stop in the Canary Islands before heading west to Fort Lauderdale. Killing time waiting for our flights home we took a boat tour of the Everglades. Fantastic trip that cost us $8000 total for four weeks. You guys can do the onsite WDW cost math yourselves.
Not going to lie, I am extremely jealous that you were able to do all that for so cheap!

Goofyernmost

Not going to lie, I am extremely jealous that you were able to do all that for so cheap!
We honestly used up a lot of shoe leather and had to figure out how to use the local transportation without speaking any of the local languages. I was a little nervous with the apartment rental thing. I didn't know the area and was taking a giant gamble, but it all worked out perfectly and was a great trip.

CosmicRays

We honestly used up a lot of shoe leather and had to figure out how to use the local transportation without speaking any of the local languages. I was a little nervous with the apartment rental thing. I didn't know the area and was taking a giant gamble, but it all worked out perfectly and was a great trip.
Me and the misses have a trip to Italy booked for New years eve going into 2023- Im beyond excited.

Virtual Toad

Disney long ago has removed itself from a large number of family budgets and it's only getting worse. My family started our Disney parks journey 20 years ago and we were hooked from our very first trip and came avid fans and DVC members. A couple years ago with all the changes and steep increases, we reluctantly sold the DVC and scaled back our trips. This upcoming 50th anniversary trip that I promised the family we would take in October, was planned for well over two years in advance and making monthly payments. I'm exhausted at the cost, cutbacks, etc, and it has killed so much of the fun and joy I used to feel when planning and going on a WDW trip. I enjoy this forum and others, seeing construction progress being made and talking about the parks, but I've reach the point myself that it's just too expensive for what you get. I feel bad for the young families just starting out and getting hooked like we were in going to the parks and not being able to swing it. In all honesty, I shouldn't have went as much as I did and ignoring all the warning signs over the years. When I think about the money I spent in DVC and AP's for the family over the years, I just wince. Those memories weren't cheap.
You expressed exactly what our family is feeling when it comes to our decades-long experience with WDW. Our family used to stay on property multiple times per year, every year. Multiple trips also to Disneyland and DLP. Mickey got a huge chunk of our vacation income but we were more than happy to pay for the value we received.

The shine for us began to fade when parking fees were introduced a couple of years ago, room rates skyrocketed, and food and restaurant prices soared. Add in the ever-increasing reliance on park reservations, virtual boarding groups, limited restaurant availability and mobile ordering, (not to mention the looming possibility of pay-for-play fastpass) and we've decided to look elsewhere.

A WDW vacation for our family used to be something we eagerly looked forward to, when it was simple, relaxing, affordable and fun*. Taking a break during the pandemic made us re-evaluate our vacation options. So now it's on to a week at Universal for us later this summer, the Carolinas this fall and no trips at all to WDW for the foreseeable future.

Sadly they've priced us out of what we feel is a fair price to pay for the value received, and simultaneously and inexplicably made it far too much of a hassle to visit.

That just doesn't seem very welcoming to me.

I miss the days when we were treated as guests and not simply data points on a spreadsheet, forced to pre-plan and re-plan, with my nose in the phone the entire trip, all to ensure Disney has the data it needs to operate with "efficiency," i.e. the bare minimum of cast members and resources they think can get away with.

You're also right about all those memories not being cheap. But take heart in the fact you were able to visit so many times when things were arguably so much better than what the Mouse is currently offering to its guests.

(* Isn't that what a vacation is supposed to be about?)

Goofyernmost

Me and the misses have a trip to Italy booked for New years eve going into 2023- Im beyond excited.
I hope you have a great time. I will admit that it was a little adventurous for me to do it the way we did. In the past I always relied on scheduled tours from start to finish. But this was much more fun and flexible. We also were blessed with incredible weather. Even the Atlantic Ocean cooperated with glass like smooth sailing all the way across. Not a single Iceberg to be found in the south Atlantic. :)

ppete1975

honestly it has to stay expensive... supply and demand.. if it was cheaper the parks would sell out everyday. We hate to think that way but it not just corporate greed (although thats part of it).. can you imagine the crowds, the waiting lists, the reservations if disney was affordable?

Lilofan

Oh yes of course, everyone posting in this thread is perfect financially and has never had a cent of debt in their life! *wink wink*. This place never fails to amuse, almost as bad as the disboards.

I won’t even go into the white privilege of the conversation...
I was once in debt but I didn't cry and complain like others. I sucked it up and planned the work and worked the plan to get out of debt.

SamusAranX

Oh yes of course, everyone posting in this thread is perfect financially and has never had a cent of debt in their life! *wink wink*. This place never fails to amuse, almost as bad as the disboards.

I won’t even go into the white privilege of the conversation...
I’m Hispanic bud and come from a broken home. Maybe check your assumptions?

nobody here is saying we’re perfect, we’re pointing out that unfortunately many go into debt just to go to WDW. Which is very risky

ppete1975

If anyone wants an alternate adventure to compare with I will offer this. I'm not going to do the research on what an approximate amount of WDW trip cost or time because everyone that is planning a WDW trip will already know what it is going to cost for their specific plans. So this is just for comparison.

In November of 2015 two of us took a four week long trip to Europe. We flew to Paris via Toronto and Iceland. Spent a few days there including a day at Disneyland Paris. Took buses and trains while in Paris to museums, local must see's and then flew to Venice for a while. We wandered around St. Marc's square, attended a concert in a 600 years old church, gondola rides and great Italian food. From there we took a train to Rome.

Like in Paris we rented a complete apartment for length of stay (a major savings btw) We toured the coliseum, the Roman ruins, did an audience with the pope, toured St. Peters and the Vatican. We used the local subway to make our way around Rome and also took another train to Pompeii for a day trip. And more outstanding Italian food. Among other things we went to the Trevi Fountain and every other touristy thing we could think of before catching another train to the Port of Rome for a week long Transatlantic Cruise back to Fort Lauderdale.

The cruise included Ports of call to Barcelona and Mallorca, Spain, Pisa and Florence, Italy and a stop in the Tuscany area for a wine tasting and pasta meal. Another stop in Toulon, France. Sailed by the Rock of Gibraltar and the last stop, Tenerife in the Canary Islands before heading west to Fort Lauderdale. Killing time waiting for our flights home we took a boat tour of the Everglades. Fantastic trip that cost us $8000 total for four weeks. You guys can do the onsite WDW cost math yourselves.
exactly why i say disney should be an every once in awhile trip.. theres too many life adventures out there to go to ANY place every year for your vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom