Trouble in paradise officially?

dreday3

as neither a boomer nor a millennial...I can only say my perception is it’s rapidly accelerated. Born around 1900 is nowhere near 2000...and exposure to both segments formulates your world view

My dad was born in 1938 and we lived paycheck to paycheck for a while (although I never knew) and he took us to Disneyworld back in the 70s/80s - 3 times! So, I'm not sure what his world view was at that time....spend it while you got it? :D

CaptainAmerica

I am a millennial, and the only debt I have is my car. Everything else I save for. I left home at 18, started at Pizza hut, didn't go to college, and worked my way up to a long term career in software. Learned quickly that CC debt was bad, bad, bad. I learned to budget and live within my means, and if that meant putting needs before want (read: WDW trips) then so be it.

The problem isn't Boomers mentality, the problem is some (not all) of our generation want instant gratification and can't accept that they don't always get what they want.
Different path for me, same result.

I *did* go to college and graduated with a mountain of student loan debt, but I studied something useful where I knew I'd have a solid starting salary right from day 1. I lived like a hermit for two years and paid off my last student loan when I was 23. I haven't had a penny of debt outside my mortgage since then.

SamusAranX

Oh wow. People with "extra" money telling people without "extra" money - you're doing it wrong...
These conversations always go so well.

If it makes you feel better, I don't have a ton of extra money. I budget and scrimp for my vacations, and find ways to get things for free or discounted. For example, I shop at Aldi, only do bogo's at Publix rather then shop there all the time; buy furniture used or at Ikea on sale; don't use cable, split streaming costs with family to all share, try not to eat out alot (I treat myself once a week, usually chik-fil-a or sometimes uber Eats when they send me a coupon), the list goes on; I usually fly once or twice a year, so I use my southwest card and pay it off monthly to get free points, look out for promotions to obtain more points, etc.

dreday3

If it makes you feel better, I don't have a ton of extra money. I budget and scrimp for my vacations, and find ways to get things for free or discounted. For example, I shop at Aldi, use my southwest card and pay it off monthly to get free points, look out for promotions to obtain more points, etc.

It doesn't make me feel anything.

I just dislike seeing people trying to lecture other people on financial matters when they haven't walked in their shoes.
I've walked in their shoes, for many years when I was younger, so you'll see no lectures from me. I have nothing but empathy.

Parker in NYC

never said it was; I said some in our generation have that problem, not that they invented it.
The rise of omnipresent social media, online shopping, digital wallets, and 24-hour entertainment news, not to mention the addictive nature of smartphones, etc. didn't help. The haves and have nots have never been so clearly defined (yes, this has always existed but never as it is today). Corporations and people in power know this and utilize these tools to keep their coffers full and their customers in debt.

This doesn't mean that people are forced to submit to such things but not everyone was born with families who set good financial examples. I mean, I used my parents as an example of what not to do -- once I realized I was following in their footsteps to the point of collapse. It took me ten years to get out of debt. But not everyone has the same path.

Again, I'm not blaming social media, etc. I'm just saying it's a toxic component that preys upon the weak (young and old) and makes life a lot harder than it needs to be.

SamusAranX

It doesn't make me feel anything.

I just dislike seeing people trying to lecture other people on financial matters when they haven't walked in their shoes.

I've walked in their shoes, for many years when I was younger, so you'll see no lectures from me.

I feel you. I generally try not to lecture; I was responding to the mantra of some to put 5k Disney vacations on credit rather then save. Then these same ones sometimes complain down the road how broke they are. A WDW vacation is not a need. I don't need to be in someone's shoes to see that.

is R and R a need? Sure! I do it affordably (save for a snowboard trip once a year, hike's and kayaking locally, play sports, go four ways with friends on an Airbnb in the mountains, etc.) I did finally save enough to splurge monthly for an AP for the second time in my life then COVID hit.

SamusAranX

The rise of omnipresent social media and 24-hour entertainment news, not to mention the addictive nature of smartphones, etc. didn't help. The haves and have nots have never been so clearly defined (yes, this has always existed but never as it is today). Corporations and people in power know this and utilize these tools to keep their coffers full and their customers in debt.

This doesn't mean that people are forced to submit to such things but not everyone was born with families who set good financial examples. I mean, I used my parents as an example of what not to do -- once I realized I was following in their footsteps to the point of collapse. It took me ten years to get out of debt. But not everyone has the same path.

Again, I'm not blaming social media, etc. I'm just saying it's a toxic component that preys upon the weak (young and old) and makes life a lot harder than it needs to be.
Yep! The "lifestyle" and "influence" of social media.

BaconPancakes

Different path for me, same result.

I *did* go to college and graduated with a mountain of student loan debt, but I studied something useful where I knew I'd have a solid starting salary right from day 1. I lived like a hermit for two years and paid off my last student loan when I was 23. I haven't had a penny of debt outside my mortgage since then.
Here’s your cookie! 😘

CosmicRays

The rise of omnipresent social media, online shopping, digital wallets, and 24-hour entertainment news, not to mention the addictive nature of smartphones, etc. didn't help. The haves and have nots have never been so clearly defined (yes, this has always existed but never as it is today). Corporations and people in power know this and utilize these tools to keep their coffers full and their customers in debt.

I think it is harder today than ever in history to actually live a "healthy" lifestyle. I'm not sure that there is even a clear cut definition for it anymore. I look to social media like you say that has really turned what is important upside down- and the ones who suffer the most are the young and the impoverished who will not realize there is another world outside their door.

I feel you. I generally try not to lecture; I was responding to the mantra of some to put 5k Disney vacations on credit rather then save. Then these same ones sometimes complain down the road how broke they are. A WDW vacation is not a need. I don't need to be in someone's shoes to see that.

is R and R a need? Sure! I do it affordably (save for a snowboard trip once a year, hikes locally, play sports, go four ways with friends on an airbnb in the mountains, etc.0
I have for sure spent that much on a Disney vacation, and for sure most definitely shouldn't have. But I never regretted overspending for what its worth.

Yep! The "lifestyle" and "influence" of social media.
Social media influencers- a phrase that just makes me shake my head.

dreday3

Back to the topic of families deciding Disney is too expensive- I have a hard time believing that with more and more young people having access to credit. The only thing that has slowed down the Disney train has been a global pandemic, and even then they sold tickets!

My thoughts on this are yes, Disney is expensive and unfortunately not everyone will get to experience it.

But...that doesn't mean I can't disapprove of ridiculous price increases. Resort prices are out of control. They just are. And it's crazy to say Disney isn't pricing out the average person. We already can't afford deluxe anymore - anyone who can pay $600-700 a night (without credit) is rich baby. Rich.

SamusAranX

I think it is harder today than ever in history to actually live a "healthy" lifestyle. I'm not sure that there is even a clear cut definition for it anymore. I look to social media like you say that has really turned what is important upside down- and the ones who suffer the most are the young and the impoverished who will not realize there is another world outside their door.

I have for sure spent that much on a Disney vacation, and for sure most definitely shouldn't have. But I never regretted overspending for what its worth.

Social media influencers- a phrase that just makes me shake my head.
hey, if you can afford it and enjoy, do it!

But don't mortgage your future to do so. That's my motto.

CosmicRays

My thoughts on this are yes, Disney is expensive and unfortunately not everyone will get to experience it.

But...that doesn't mean I can't disapprove of ridiculous price increases. Resort prices are out of control. They just are. And it's crazy to say Disney isn't pricing out the average person.
Absolutely- when a Guy Fierri joint is the most financially prudent option on property we got problems lol.

Parker in NYC

Especially since 99% of it is an illusion. What some influencers cultivate to share those illusions is pretty sick. But businesses need them. Traditional advertising is mostly dead to those who no longer watch tv. And word to the wise, those under 45, as a whole, aren't glued to their televisions, much less watching Fox and CNN. Of course, the erectile dysfunction and cholesterol meds pretty much prove that. And I'm sure that number will reach 50 and higher until there's very little viewership remaining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom