Trouble in paradise officially?

GimpYancIent

There really isn't any such thing as liquid assets for the middle class anymore. We live off of credit cards because most companies pay only enough for you to get by paycheck to paycheck.
New Yorkers understand the statement "business is business". Each individual has to manage their finances the best they can and find the best paying job they can. Companies / Corporations whatever are looking at their bottom lines and how much productivity can be obtained from their work force at least cost. It's not nice and touchy feelie but its what it is. Don't blame the businesses for doing what they do conducting business. A person does not like what they do or get paid, well, do what is necessary to get another job, upgrade training / education etc. it ain't easy, many times not fair and always challenging just don't blame entities i.e. "companies".

Parker in NYC

I need to know more about this Doom buggy- is this a mad max type vehicle?
CosmicRay! You know what a doom buggy is!

download.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, I remember when we first got married and had no credit. Credit cards weren't developed back then, but you had to "work" to get credit at a store. But the thing is, no store wanted to give you credit to buy something if you didn't have credit anywhere else. It was crazy. My Dad referred us to an appliance store that he used and we got a refrigerator on credit payments made by the store. We only got that credit opportunity because of Dad's reputation with the store.
It's funny how things have changed. And, yes, we saved up cash for vacations. That's just the way it was. Our first family trip to WDW was in l976 and we saved for it for a year. Thanks for bringing back those memories, and Yes, I am that old, LOL.

and you had to walk 2 hours in your bare feet in the snow to school, aye??

Weather_Lady

There really isn't any such thing as liquid assets for the middle class anymore. We live off of credit cards because most companies pay only enough for you to get by paycheck to paycheck.
You're right.

I need to check my privilege a bit when I talk cavalierly about how my family never books a vacation until we've already saved up enough to pay for it. While that may be true, DH and I have both had good full-time jobs for the past 20 years, and earn quite a bit more than the average family in our geographic area -- enough to be able to save up for a Disney trip without significant sacrifices. Most of our contemporaries are, as you indicate, surviving paycheck to paycheck, even those whose lifestyles and budgetary choices are unimpeachably frugal.

Lilofan

New Yorkers understand the statement "business is business". Each individual has to manage their finances the best they can and find the best paying job they can. Companies / Corporations whatever are looking at their bottom lines and how much productivity can be obtained from their work force at least cost. It's not nice and touchy feelie but its what it is. Don't blame the businesses for doing what they do conducting business. A person does not like what they do or get paid, well, do what is necessary to get another job, upgrade training / education etc. it ain't easy, many times not fair and always challenging just don't blame entities i.e. "companies".
Some fit into your category, some are also lazy bums .

CosmicRays

Don't get me wrong I understand the business side. If I was a business owner I would be looking for the best way to make a living and save as well. But it seems more and more companies tend to pay their upper tier a disproportionate amount compared to the workers who keep the wheels going so to speak.

CosmicRay! You know what a doom buggy is!

View attachment 561703
I am an idiot lol. This is what happens when I haven't had my daily glass of bourbon.

CosmicRays

You're right.

I need to check my privilege a bit when I talk cavalierly about how my family never books a vacation until we've already saved up enough to pay for it. While that may be true, DH and I have both had good full-time jobs for the past 20 years, and earn quite a bit more than the average family in our geographic area -- enough to be able to save up for a Disney trip without significant sacrifices. Most of our contemporaries are, as you indicate, surviving paycheck to paycheck, even those whose lifestyles and budgetary choices are unimpeachably frugal.
I definitely didn't mean to imply or talk rudely about anyone who makes a certain amount of money. I hope it did not come off that way. I can assure you I am the last person to actually "care" about money. If I did I wouldn't go to WDW.

Mr. Moderate

Make your next family trip to Disneyland. It's worth the money.
I actually been to Disneyland with my family three times and enjoyed it very much. At the time I use my DVC points to stay on site, but it’s far easier to stay offsite and a lot more affordable too. When it comes easier and cheaper to fly to the West Coast I’ll add a day or two at Disneyland to get my Disney fix, but right now there’s other places I want to explore and a lot cheaper too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom