Trouble in paradise officially?

ppete1975

Ill be honest as a 40-50 year old.. people of my generation and below do not look at debt as people older than us. Yes credit cards are more prevalent (hence why lay away used to be popular and isnt now). I know my parents used to put money aside every week so we could have a trip like disney, or my mom would work (back when we were still in the single earning days), or my dad would put in tons of ot or work a second job so we could go.

Ill never forget my dad telling me he worked a second job to buy my moms wedding ring. Today people just put it on credit.

Yes im using glaring generalities and this doesnt apply to everyone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It took my mother years to pay off one WDW trip... Even with us paying for food and air, she treated for a 2bdrm villa.
Interest adds and adds and adds.

which is why travel shouldn’t be financed. Really shouldn’t. Why people pay Disney a Redonk 10% to purchase DVC I’ll never get?

im not an ogre (all the time)...I’m not saying don’t finance all leisure. But it shouldn’t be a disposable product. You want a $2000 bike or a dune buggy? Go for it.

not a character buffet that ends up at the “spot” on the edge of town

GimpYancIent

Ill be honest as a 40-50 year old.. people of my generation and below do not look at debt as people older than us. Yes credit cards are more prevalent (hence why lay away used to be popular and isnt now). I know my parents used to put money aside every week so we could have a trip like disney, or my mom would work (back when we were still in the single earning days), or my dad would put in tons of ot or work a second job so we could go.

Ill never forget my dad telling me he worked a second job to buy my moms wedding ring. Today people just put it on credit.

Very down to earth. Thank you. You are correct it does not apply to everyone, but, your statement applies to many more than you think.

Minnesota disney fan

Yes, I remember when we first got married and had no credit. Credit cards weren't developed back then, but you had to "work" to get credit at a store. But the thing is, no store wanted to give you credit to buy something if you didn't have credit anywhere else. It was crazy. My Dad referred us to an appliance store that he used and we got a refrigerator on credit payments made by the store. We only got that credit opportunity because of Dad's reputation with the store.
It's funny how things have changed. And, yes, we saved up cash for vacations. That's just the way it was. Our first family trip to WDW was in l976 and we saved for it for a year. Thanks for bringing back those memories, and Yes, I am that old, LOL.

ppete1975

It took my mother years to pay off one WDW trip... Even with us paying for food and air, she treated for a 2bdrm villa.
Interest adds and adds and adds.
worst part is disney plays into all of that with the marketing.
Little suzie is only going to be little for so long
we really need to take little suzy while shes X age
Granny and grandpa are getting older and can move around well now, when we can afford it maybe they cant
my jobs doing ok now we can pay it off in a few years....
We deserve it!!

with anything thats aimed at kids (dont kill the 46 year old single guy with no kids that wishes he lived there) you have the added advantage to putting a time clock on when people should go, it keeps disney from being a european vacation that "we will do someday"
"we have to go while the kids are little"

uncle jimmy

Premium Member

I still put money aside for WDW or other trips, financially we don't need to... but we have a budget amount and I love finding ways to save money so we can see and do more, learned it from my parents. (My parents did the same with putting money aside for trips as yours did.)
As an adult We don't rely on credit as another source of money. If I can't pay if off, I don't buy it on the credit card, which that's used for just the points.

ppete1975

Yes, I remember when we first got married and had no credit. Credit cards weren't developed back then, but you had to "work" to get credit at a store. But the thing is, no store wanted to give you credit to buy something if you didn't have credit anywhere else. It was crazy. My Dad referred us to an appliance store that he used and we got a refrigerator on credit payments made by the store. We only got that credit opportunity because of Dad's reputation with the store.
It's funny how things have changed. And, yes, we saved up cash for vacations. That's just the way it was. Our first family trip to WDW was in l976 and we saved for it for a year. Thanks for bringing back those memories, and Yes, I am that old, LOL.
but clearly young at heart, and thats all that matters :)

Parker in NYC

which is why travel shouldn’t be financed. Really shouldn’t. Why people pay Disney a Redonk 10% to purchase DVC I’ll never get?

im not an ogre (all the time)...I’m not saying don’t finance all leisure. But it shouldn’t be a disposable product. You want a $2000 bike or a dune buggy? Go for it.

How about $250,000 for a doom buggy? We'd like additional seating for our breakfast nook.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

no I hear that too...

...basically life ended at Gen x...

that’s my story and I’m sticking to it 👍🏻

mergatroid

Perhaps unlike you, they enjoy going? :D

Lilofan

There really isn't any such thing as liquid assets for the middle class anymore. We live off of credit cards because most companies pay only enough for you to get by paycheck to paycheck.
Middle class in my area live paycheck to paycheck by personal choice. Didn't hear about a survey a few years ago that 2 out of every 3 Americans in an emergency can't afford a $500 car repair bill? This is a slaves to debt society and culture.

Wendy Pleakley

Disney is too expensive. We've been hearing this mantra repeated forever.

Attendance continues to skyrocket.

Disney isn't in trouble. I'm sure some people are spending more than they should, but nothing will change.

The cycle continues.

Personally, Disney resort prices are getting a bit ridiculous in terms of value for money. Future trips will likely mirror my last one, split 50/50 with Universal which is much more reasonable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom